So did GG miss the boat with Sucker Punch?

Reaction score
First, did any of you see Sucker Punch? I did, but there sure wasn't much talk about it. I saw these statues at SDCC and yes they look great. Almost too great, because we all know they will not look as good in hand after China gets a hold of them.

So back to my question did GG miss the boat already? Don't you think they should had made some of the girls into Mini busts and had them for sale oh what, last week?
Another thing, why make Amber right now? The stars of the show was Babydoll and Rocket, yet only one computer aided pic of Rocket was shown on their site.

Seems like another Avatar type missed opportunity. I can only guess that GG didn't get the images in time to get anything made. Oh well. They do look nice on paper.

Reaction score
This line is going to be a huge loss for GG. The movie has already come out and tanked. Even if there is some small cult fan-base that develops for Sucker Punch merchandise, I doubt GG will move many units even if they eventually get the stuff out. I expect most of the items will get canceled. They should have released the product before the movie came out when people were still excited about it.

Reaction score
GG does this often. They make products for an upcoming movie then 6-12 month later the product hits. GG is their own worst enemy. Their timing is off pretty much all the time.

Reaction score
I went to see the movie and I actually liked it a lot. I thought it was well done but you're totally right about GG missing the boat. I totally would've loved to have gotten the WWII German solider statue

Reaction score
RogueTrader said:
GG does this often. They make products for an upcoming movie then 6-12 month later the product hits. GG is their own worst enemy. Their timing is off pretty much all the time.
I think that pretty well sums up GG to a "T"! They even missed the boat last year with HP releases... a line they were already heavily in. I just don't get them at all. If it were just a few times that they've missed the boat on releases, that would be one thing but, they're like the retarded kid down the hall in school that just doesn't get it. (I'm not trying to make fun of retarded people here. I'm just making an analogy so, please don't get offended.)

Timing is CRUCIAL in business as is LOCATION. If you don't have one you better have the other or your gonna go belly up and GG seems to be laying on their side right now.

Rod

Reaction score
Is the sky blue?

Did anybody not think this was going to happen?

Just like Sucker Punch they screwed up a few other lines with their "impeccable" timing....LOTR? HALO 3? Matrix?

Reaction score
I've got all 3 on pre-order. I was thinking of cancelling when I heard the terrible reviews for the movie, but after seeing it myself, I will be keeping my orders. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't as bad as some suggested.

Now if the likeness isn't close to the prototypes...

Reaction score
I didn't have high hopes for the movie and it's now unfortunate to think of all the time and resources GG used pursuing a pretty much dead license.

Reaction score
I'll never understand why companies secure licenses for flash-in-the-pan movies such as this and don't schedule the releases closer to the release date of the movie. For a big name franchise like Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean or Lord of the Rings, it's acceptable and understandable because there will always been enough of a fan base to keep it alive. But 300? Sucker Punch? No one's going to give a **** about having anything from these movies more than a couple of months after the movie is released. I mean really, Sideshow put out their King Leonidas premium format figure more than a year after the movie came out. I'm shocked they sold more than just a few of them.

Ideally, as a manufacturer I'd want my items coming out a month or six weeks before the movie comes out. The hype alone should help fuel sales, and if the movie tanks, who cares...at that point you've probably already secured enough sales to make it a worthwhile investment.

Reaction score
Greg from GG said they were happy with the factory for these statues and they may use it again for more of their products.

That said, yes, this was a gamble of a license but pretty girls sale well if the sculpts come out nice. People took a serious leap of faith pre-ordering these things just based on that alone.

This was a test for some of us to stand by our convictions of not supporting GG. Even if the sculpts looked nice at SDCC or even if turn out nice whenever released.

Reaction score
I think busts would of been perfect since not everyone can fork out $250 per statue. I loved the movie but I will never afford the product.

Reaction score
I thought the movie was good. The statues look great but don't think I will be getting them.

Reaction score
I havn't seen the movie yet, but I was really impressed with the prototypes at CV. Too bad I have a strict Star Wars only collection focus. I really think these should have been released a month or so before the film opened. These will be clearance items for web retailers 6months after they eventually see release.

Reaction score
This entire line is doomed.

All the time that went into it, and continuing by the looks of the latest GG promo video......wtf.

What part of sticking to your "bread and butter" don't they get? Focus on Star Wars .... ahem, quality timely Star Wars and your product will sell.

This SP line won't go past the first two - what a silly license to even get in the first place.

Rod

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
This entire line is doomed.

All the time that went into it, and continuing by the looks of the latest GG promo video......wtf.

What part of sticking to your "bread and butter" don't they get? Focus on Star Wars .... ahem, quality timely Star Wars and your product will sell.

This SP line won't go past the first two - what a silly license to even get in the first place.
This line was doomed when GG got it.

I doubt it if we'll even see the 1st two.....

Rod

Reaction score
Jay_the_Lesser said:
Another poor investment for GG.
Just heard the stupidest thing....they are making a variant of the Babydoll statue.....ES of 500.

I'll be surprised if the sell 200 of any of them at those prices

Reaction score
Frickin' unreal these were shown at sdcc 2010, and they couldn't get their [censored] together for the recent release of the movie.

What will be the next failed license??

Reaction score
lol, as much as I hate GGs practises, I must admit I want and have ordered both versions. I may even bite the bullet and join the club to get her from the US rather than Japan.

Reaction score
BlueSnaggletooth said:
I'd say GG needs to hire a brand manager/strategist...but that would be stating the obvious.

-Snags
The sun will be rising in the morning too

Reaction score
thanks for the pics. hopefully some of these see the light of day before the end of the year.

Reaction score
I would now have to say NO, they did not miss the boat with these statues. Here are pics of Babydoll. Yes she is kind of pale but still a beautifuly done statue. And seeing that one just sold on Ebay for $800, they are in demand.

Reaction score
GG did a great job with these. I have both versions of babydoll on order as well as the other girls.

I can't wait to get them!

Reaction score
Now that I've seen the movie and seen pics of Babydoll, I'm wishing I would have ordered one. If it wasn't for the fact that she now hits a minimum of $800 on eBay, I'd probably preorder the others. Amber looks good and Sweet Pea and Rocket look fantastic. I'd order the others but the collection just wouldn't be right without the main character.

Reaction score
ambasah said:
the 100 reserved for members will be a lottery system.
Yeah and I love how GG is scalping their own product. I guess I'll just stick to the busts.