Snowtrooper (Johnston Concept) - BD48

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Re: Snowtrooper (Johnston Concept) - ESB Wave

Imrahil2001 said:
Johnston is no McQuarrie. Pass for me.
I love McQuarrie, but I prefer Johnston's art. The guy is masterful at technical stuff; I love his vehicle drawings. He doesn't have the emotional painting effect of McQ, but I still love Johnston's stuff.

Reaction score

Daigo_Bah said:
I love McQuarrie, but I prefer Johnston's art. The guy is masterful at technical stuff; I love his vehicle drawings. He doesn't have the emotional painting effect of McQ, but I still love Johnston's stuff.
I hear you Daigo_Bah!

Sol

Reaction score

The HD shots make it that much more desirable for me. McQ's concept is still classic, I like to think of this as a different spin on that art. Love the boots as well...

Sol

Reaction score

I want one, damnit! Been checking HTS every day but nothing. It's up on Hasbro's regular website with options on "where to buy". That's a joke, so don't even bother checking. It's not on HTS.

Reaction score

Found him, and bought him! This is definitely an awesome sculpt. i hope we see more Johnson concept figurers!

Reaction score

Is the ESB concept snowtrooper the same as the concept snowtrooper in the TRU mcquarrie concept box sets? They look completely different and I don't remember a single packed concept snowtrooper previously released.

Reaction score

Turpulus said:
Is the ESB concept snowtrooper the same as the concept snowtrooper in the TRU mcquarrie concept box sets? They look completely different and I don't remember a single packed concept snowtrooper previously released.
The TRU repack is based on Ralph McQuarrie's art and was originally released in the 30th Anniversary Collection. The new Legacy ESB one is based on Joe Johnston's art and is a new sculpt. Bottom line: two conceptual artists = two different EU action figures => pass for me.

Reaction score

Not fond of this figure at all. The McQuarrie version blows this one away. This version looks better suited for the GI Joe line.

Reaction score

Force_Guy said:
Not fond of this figure at all. The McQuarrie version blows this one away. This version looks better suited for the GI Joe line.
I think just the opposite, hehe. I like the Johnson one a lot more.

Reaction score

I love this figure. I like the Sci-Fi meets Samurai look.

Reaction score

I agree. This one is superior to the mcquarrie one in my opinion. I'm looking forward to picking up at least 2.

Reaction score

This is probably my favorite figure that I've got as of late. I think it's a cool different design and I particularly like the back side of the card art. I only wish it looked a little more like those two designs: a little heftier, some symbols/markings, etc.

Reaction score

Force_Guy said:
Agreed. Something got lost in translation between the rough sketch and the finalized figure - especially with the helmet and seemingly the coloration (again, mainly of the helmet). It hasn't grown on me yet.

Reaction score

GreenLight said:
Force_Guy said:
Agreed. Something got lost in translation between the rough sketch and the finalized figure - especially with the helmet and seemingly the coloration (again, mainly of the helmet). It hasn't grown on me yet.
I also agree but I bought one anyway because I like collecting the concept figures as a whole. In hindsight though I wouldn't be so hot to get this one.

Reaction score

I love the Mcquarrie designs, but I definitely prefer Johnston's version of the snowtrooper. Can't wait to find this figure.

GNT

Reaction score
Force_Guy said:
I like the McQuarrie version myself out of the two, the Johnston version doesn't look "Star Wars" to me so that's probably why he looks like a GI Joe figure.

Reaction score
GNT said:
Force_Guy said:
I like the McQuarrie version myself out of the two, the Johnston version doesn't look "Star Wars" to me so that's probably why he looks like a GI Joe figure.
Agree. GI-Joe all the way! Doen't come close to being as cool as Ralph's!

Reaction score
Agreed. Not that I like the McQ version all that much (what we got in the film was so much better than both concepts) but between the two McQuarrie's is better. And I'm a big fan of Joe's work. I like it just as much as Ralph's. But this snowtrooper design isn't one of his highlights.

Reaction score
idk this one looks really cool and this one is to anyone who has this guy but does the waist coat hamper the leg movement at all?

Reaction score
Still haven't seen this one. Past few days I just haven't been thinking much about star wars figures enough. I need to find something new for the first time in a few weeks to rekindle the interest!

Reaction score
FORUM SNEAK PEEK!

I just picked this wave up the other day (thanks Bill!), and while I wanted to show them off quick before I head back to work on Monday. A full Photo Archive update is coming soon...but for now here's SNOWTROOPER (Concept Art Series)

More to come...!

Reaction score
I read through real quick and I didn't see this mentioned but his waist armor is assembled backwards. I picked up 2 over the weekend and all the photos I have seen of others have his waist armor reversed as well. The givaway is that his holster should be on his right side. In fact if you try to holster his gun you can clearly tell that the piece was assembled the wrong way, as the gun would be backwards. What I find interesting is that the SDCC prototype had this same mistake. The only place that shows the figure correctly is the back of the card. Just thought everyone would like to know. I plan on heating mine up and fixing the waist.

Reaction score
Finally saw one of these inperson the other day. I was kind of looking forward to another concept figure, but really wasn't too impresses with him. He looked more like a GI-Joe figure to me and I really don't care for the skirt all that much. Looks like a terry cloth bath robe or something.

Reaction score
Stormtrooper3133 said:
I read through real quick and I didn't see this mentioned but his waist armor is assembled backwards. I picked up 2 over the weekend and all the photos I have seen of others have his waist armor reversed as well. The givaway is that his holster should be on his right side. In fact if you try to holster his gun you can clearly tell that the piece was assembled the wrong way, as the gun would be backwards. What I find interesting is that the SDCC prototype had this same mistake. The only place that shows the figure correctly is the back of the card. Just thought everyone would like to know. I plan on heating mine up and fixing the waist.
This is inaccurate.

The figure on the cardback is the one that is backwards. If you look at the concept art, you can clearly see that the belt is indeed assembled correctly.

As for the holster, it's called a "cross-draw" holster...meaning that the pistol can be drawn from the opposite side of the body. This is also not the first figure to feature this kind of holster.

Garindan, Rebel Honor Guard, Bane Malar, and Pons Limbic all had this style of holster, and possibly a few others.

Reaction score
FORUM FIRST LOOK!

Today's Photo Archive update kicks off a new series of updates featuring the action figures from the LONG-awaited wave 12, including this Concept Art Series figure from The Empire Strikes Back...Joe Johnston's Snowtrooper!

Be sure to check out the legs on this guy...I don't know if anyone has actually take a look "under the skirt" before, but those legs are pretty detailed!

Enjoy!

Reaction score
This concept version of the snowtrooper I can use to have as a Captain or something to lead the regular Snowtroopers into battle

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Curto...this figure looks great. I can't wait until mine arrives hopefully in a few days. Superior in every way to the first concept snowtrooper, which is kind of a blah figure for me. An inability to stand mixed with a dopey look makes for a bland figure. This one looks like a samurai or something. I like it so much more.

Reaction score
Just by looking at this figure I'm going to use as an Elite Snowtrooper or just a Captain/Sargeant to lead the normal snowtroopers to attack snow planets like Hoth or whatever

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:
Stormtrooper3133 said:
This is inaccurate.

The figure on the cardback is the one that is backwards. If you look at the concept art, you can clearly see that the belt is indeed assembled correctly.

As for the holster, it's called a "cross-draw" holster...meaning that the pistol can be drawn from the opposite side of the body. This is also not the first figure to feature this kind of holster.

Garindan, Rebel Honor Guard, Bane Malar, and Pons Limbic all had this style of holster, and possibly a few others.
I stand corrected , thanks for the concept pic Curto.

Reaction score
This figure would look great...

In a GI-JOE collection.

Easy pass here.

Reaction score
I bought this one a couple weeks ago because I knew he'd be in demand, but looking at it now, I really don't like it. The design doesn't fit with Star Wars, even as a concept... it WOULD look better with GI Joes...