Smaller scaled vehicles, will you be collecting?

Will you be collecting the smaller scale vehicles?

• Total voters

GNT

Reaction score
So by now we've all seen that Hasbro is reducing the size of the Class 2 vehicles to a slighly more smaller scale in 2013 which will see the vehicles cost around $20 each and become more affordable to the casual buyers. For those of us who've been collecting is this really annoying and frustrating? Will you be picking any up? Passing?

Thoughts on the latest scale change?

Reaction score
I tried to find the "Hell ****ing no! Not even to save my left nut" option so opted to select the "No, I'll be sticking to larger vehicles only" option.

Reaction score
I think I am torn. The first ones I will not be, but if there are newer ones that are more in scale with the other items then I may just jump on them. for now. nope none and definately not.

Reaction score
Just to help clear up the issues here...
I know the Republic tanks, Jedi Starfighter and Slave 1 were class 2 vehicles that are now smaller. That is what we are talking about right... Not the Yoda fighter ship because that is class 1. That is correct right? Class 1/mini rig vehicles are not being discussed, just class 2 that was made smaller.

I have no problem with the class 1 vehicles since there isn't really a change there. The smaller class 2 vehicles are terrible

Reaction score
I saw these in person. I honestly thought they were for a new Micro Collection line...then I saw a 3 3/4 Fett crammed in the Slave 1. It was like a Slave 1 Halloween costume on him.

I think Hasbro is missing the point that WE were kids once...WE wanted better scaled and deco'd ships THEN, and we still want them NOW. Why waste the last 3-4 years giving us BMF style stuff only to step back 35 years and make them tinier than vintage?

Reaction score
I was absolutely shocked when I saw the picture of the figure inside Slave 1... First thought was they were creating a new vehicle line. Second thought was, it's a joke... Still hasn't completely sunk in that this is the new size for class 2 vehicles

Reaction score
They aren't worth my time or money...

I don't want any of this PT junk. And even if it was OT I have better versions on my shelves already.

Reaction score
I will, if they do some ships like these:

You got to wonder why Hasbro doesn't take opportunities like this and kill two birds with one stone. I mean, make it cool for kids with concealed missiles and storage compartments while appealing to the collector who knows exactly what and where the hell the thing is from.

Reaction score
Not unless it's a vehicle that hasn't been produced before from the OT/PT. The scaled down versions of existing vehicles and CW/EU crap can rot on the shelves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only way I could see buying these is if they began releasing pilots to "fit" the scale of these ships.

I'm not saying re-release every figure ever made, but as an example, release a 2 inch Obi-Wan pilot to go with the new fighter. Theoretically they could put insane detail into the smaller ships and have a pilot that wouldn't look 'crammed" into the cockpit.

We could actually get a scale Falcon this way. Sadly this obviously isn't the way they are going to play this out, but imagine the possibilities. A set of 2 inch Han & Chewie with a Falcon the same size as the BMF, but scaled for the 2 inch figs.
The entire top of the Falcon could lift off to reveal the hallways, sleeping quarters, engine room, everything.

I know, I'm dreaming, but it could have been cool. At least cooler than a Slave 1 the size of a landspeeder...lol.

Reaction score
If they redid some of the vintage mini-rigs then I might consider it. For instance a new Sail Skiff or Sand Skimmer would be pretty awesome.

Reaction score
Won't collect those. Not a completist for some time now and those are clearly geared toward kids anyway.

Reaction score
I won't pick up any of the ones shown because I don't want any of those ships. However, I would buy a few smaller scale X-Wings or other rebel ships.

Reaction score
I will, if they do some ships like these:

Once again, Hasbro/LFL have a great concept sitting infront of them, but between to two of them, we'll never see these produced. :(

What's the third one though? The URL says Blu-Ray, not sure what it's of? Landspeeder?

If they're going to make up Class 1 Vehicles, at least use old OT concept art.

Reaction score
They already have the mold for the McQ snowspeeder ( as well as CC and speederbike), so those could be easy repacks. Of the three, the best one os the snowspeeder and could be paired with various figures.

Reaction score
Assuming that this poll is regarding the Class 2 rescaled vehicles, an emphatic NO.
I will still pick up the odd mini rig as I always have done.

As Chewbacca's favourite band (see my avatar) would say: "It's all about the &^%$£@£$%(*&^&*&^% OIL"

Reaction score
Once again, Hasbro/LFL have a great concept sitting infront of them, but between to two of them, we'll never see these produced. :(

What's the third one though? The URL says Blu-Ray, not sure what it's of? Landspeeder?

If they're going to make up Class 1 Vehicles, at least use old OT concept art.
Yeah, it was on the Concept Art for the Blu Ray as the Landspeeder.

Reaction score
They definitely didn't have collectors in mind when they decided to shrink these things...
I still can't get over how small that Slave 1 is. It looks like it's supposed to fit in a kids pocket so they can take it to school

Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
These are for kids, not collectors. Not everything is made for us. It doesn't mean Hasbro has forsaken the collector.

There is a video up on Sandtroopers.com where the Hasbro team states each vehicle will come with 2 figures at the $20 price point(no word on whose coming with Slave 1). And yes they probably will be horrible repacks. The point is to make it affordable for parents whose child enjoys Star Wars. I don't see it replacing the exisiting Class 2 vehicles that we enjoy. Rather, it's an affordable option for parents instead of spending $25 for a vehicle and another $10 for a pilot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are confusing the Class 1 vehicles (come with 2 figures) and new Class 2 vehicles (come alone), which have been explicitly described as downsized replacements to the current line.
And to confuse you even further, the sandtroopers interview says that they are both going to cost $20 now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
These are for kids, not collectors. Not everything is made for us. It doesn't mean Hasbro has forsaken the collector.

There is a video up on Sandtroopers.com where the Hasbro team states each vehicle will come with 2 figures at the $20 price point(no word on whose coming with Slave 1). And yes they probably will be horrible repacks. The point is to make it affordable for parents whose child enjoys Star Wars. I don't see it replacing the exisiting Class 2 vehicles that we enjoy. Rather, it's an affordable option for parents instead of spending $25 for a vehicle and another $10 for a pilot.
Look at the forum poll?

Yes: 5.71%

No: 94.29%

Do the math!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look at the forum poll?

Yes: 5.71%

No: 94.29%

Do the math!
That's out of only 35 votes. Not sufficient data to draw any conclusions. We would need at least 100 votes to make any assumptions based on the poll results and even those wouldn't be that accurate (1000-10,000 votes would be better). Besides I'm not even sure exactly what conclusion you are trying to draw. Are you trying to say that the 33 people who voted 'no' are proof that Hasbro is forsaking collectors? It's been stated many times that collectors are not the target market for these toys.

Anyways, I think a lot of the people who voted 'no' will still pick up one or two once they see them in stores.

Reaction score
I think it's a lot easier to just bash Hasbro for this than to look at why they are taking this approach... and this is coming from someone who has been royally pissed at Hasbro for quite a while now.

I know right off the bat that a $20 vehicle is an easier purchase for a parent now... heck, parents are more likely to pick up TWO ships for $40 than just one for $35. It's a much better value as far as they're concerned. Looking specifically at Obi Wan's ship and the Repubilc Tank, if those two were all the same ones as before, with the Republic Tank and Obi Wan ship being $30-$35, each one of us here would pass because we already have them, right? Or am I wrong?

We all know that there has been a huge slow down in product moving in this line since the prices went up, and it's affected the mid size vehicle line. The vehicles just aren't moving in the $30 range. You can walk into any store and see product from January just collecting dust, and at TRU, they are sitting on a lot of 2011 product still. The economy sucks and Hasbro is trying something different.

However, Hasbro isn't a completely innocent victim of the economy - they need to realize that a lot of blame for the Star Wars slowdown is due to their own bad moves with case assortments (which is painfully obvious with the basic figure line too). Stupid, stupid podracers have to be part of the reason for this too... those pieces of crap sucked the life out of the vehicle line in 2012.

On any note, I think it's a decent decision by Hasbro to try this out - but I do hope they still work out a way to have some vehicles out still in the "proper" scale... maybe as exclusives. For example, if K-Mart can keep the AT-ST down to $35, I think we could see new vehicles and popular repacks still for $30 - $35 here and there. Hasbro probably needs to be selective anyway because a lot of the mid size vehicle repacks aren't that sought after.

We really don't know what's in store for this line after this first wave yet - they could surprise us with some repacks that are already smaller anyway for this new $20 line... like the Snowspeeder, Cloud Car, Geonosian Starfighter, just to name a few.

Reaction score
That's out of only 35 votes. Not sufficient data to draw any conclusions. We would need at least 100 votes to make any assumptions based on the poll results and even those wouldn't be that accurate (1000-10,000 votes would be better). Besides I'm not even sure exactly what conclusion you are trying to draw. Are you trying to say that the 33 people who voted 'no' are proof that Hasbro is forsaking collectors? It's been stated many times that collectors are not the target market for these toys.

Anyways, I think a lot of the people who voted 'no' will still pick up one or two once they see them in stores.
Agreed... and the people voting here are collectors, who are used to things in our hobby being a certain way.

A poll consisting of parents who are potential Star Wars buyers for their kids, with a smaller percentage of the sample being adult collectors, would be more scientific.

Reaction score
A poll consisting of parents who are potential Star Wars buyers for their kids, with a smaller percentage of the sample being adult collectors, would be more scientific.
Yeah, parents have different priorities on what makes a high-quality toy than collectors do. They want something affordable, that their kids are going to get excited about, and is not going to fall apart after only a few minutes of play. I thought it was pretty interesting the comment from Hasbro about all the complaints they receive from parents over "crappy" super-articulated figures being too brittle and breaking too quickly when their kids play with them. So their goal is to eventually get the CW line down to 5 points of articulation per figure. I think that's acceptable for that line (assuming it lasts that long - I hear the TV show is on it's way to the chopping block).

I think we, as collectors, just need to get it through our thick skulls that we are not the center of Hasbro's universe and we never have been.

Reaction score
As a parent of 4, and being a collector, I can emphatically say I wouldn't waste my money on them.

Just for s--- & giggles, everybody pick up a #2 pencil. Look at the eraser. That's how big the R2 unit's head is on the Jedi Starfighter.

At least the Class 1 Yoda starfighter uses a regular size 3 3/4" R2 dome.

No.Thank.You.Hasbro.

Last edited: