Small hole in back of cardback

Reaction score
Hey everyone, had a question about the little hole on the back of some cardbacks. I saw one recently, but haven't seen one in a while. Seems to me I remember a Luke farmboy that had one several years ago. The one in the pic says it's a Lili Ledy, what other figures had the hole? What was it for?Screenshot_20210407-090423_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reaction score
Just found this in a old thread:
ChrisG said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
According to the manufacturing manager, the holes were put there to relieve pressure during the bubble-attachment process. The bubbles are heat-sealed onto the cards (the glue is on the bubble edge itself) and when they would get pressed on, the thin Ledy cardstock would get distorted because of gasses and air inside the bubble. With a hole in the card, no pressure would build up inside the bubble and the cards wouldn't get all wavy.

Later on they improved their sealing process, but they went ahead and left the hole in the card anyway.

Reaction score
Here you will find all the answers to all your questions related to Vintage Star Wars:
RS Thread Index & Web Resources -Vintage Star Wars

To answer your question:
FAQ for common questions/problems (please sticky)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: My Lumat/Paploo/other figure has a hole in the back of the card that pokes into the area where the figure is stored, why is this?

A: During the Return of the Jedi and Power of the Force line of figures, some of the Domestic Kenner releases were molded and carded by the Lili Ledy company in Mexico. Lili Ledy poked a hole in the card at the factory to allow air to escape from the enclosed bubble while the card was sealed. All Lumats and Paploos were created in the Lili Ledy factory. For all other figures that may have this hole, look for the line on the back of the card Made in Mexico.
For more information, please Join the discussion in the following thread(s)

Power of the Force Paploo Made in Mexico
Made in Mexico POTJ Darth Vader. Value? Rare?

Reaction score
Now I would have guessed it just got nailed by a hanging peg during stocking. Shows how much I know.

Reaction score
All Made In Mexico MOCs (Kenner, LL) have a hole in the figure area of the cardback. Not sure any Luke “farmboy” figure was ever produced in Mexico.
I seem to remember a thread about a Luke Farmboy that had the hole and someone took a paper clip and stuck it in the hole to push the Lightsaber to see if it was a DT, it did move in, but found out later that the tip actually broke and later fell out.
Maybe I dreamed it 🙂

Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread about a Luke Farmboy that had the hole and someone took a paper clip and stuck it in the hole to push the Lightsaber to see if it was a DT, it did move in, but found out later that the tip actually broke and later fell out.
Maybe I dreamed it 🙂
They were talking about a different hole:). At he bottom of the stem of the bubble there is a small section that is not heatsealed to the card, that's where you enter the blister with a paperclip to check if the tip of the sabre moves.

Reaction score
I have 2 MOC Graded Ewoks that have that exact same hole on the back. They both Graded at an 80 or 85 if I remember right. So yes to me that is a Factory done hole and not damage.

Reaction score
Not sure ALL Made Mexicos do have a pin hole. I have seen them in say the Ewok but not the Gammie Guard.

Reaction score
I have 2 MOC Graded Ewoks that have that exact same hole on the back. They both Graded at an 80 or 85 if I remember right. So yes to me that is a Factory done hole and not damage.
What do you mean with „Ewoks“? Ewok characters, or figures from the EWOK line? I had a look on my Kenner EWOK line figures and found some „Figure Made in México“ MOCs. My Kenner SW MOCs with „Made in México“ and „Figure Made in México“ have a hole but my „Figure Made in México„ EWOK line MOCs have no hole. Couleur ist be, that they where made in México but not in the Lili Ledy factory? (Sorry, my english is Not the best but I hope everbody understands me)
Look at the following pictures:

Figures Made in México, hole:
C7B39F26-6AED-472F-B59F-756151AECCD6.jpeg

Reaction score
To add to this thread:

I have an AFA 75 Chief Chirpa, says Made in Mexico, with a in the back of the card and I have an AFA 85 Gammie Guard, that does NOT have a dot in the back of the card.

Reaction score
The foresight with the pinholes to prevent yellowed bubbles was amazing. These toymakers were brilliant!

Reaction score
The foresight with the pinholes to prevent yellowed bubbles was amazing. These toymakers were brilliant!
After watching the two interviews of the Ledy factory workers, especially the lady who was a boss, its clear, in listening to her in spanish, you get a sense of the pride and thought they put into those figures.

Reaction score
Aber EWOK line „Figure Made in México“, no hole
View attachment 384036
I could be wrong about this, but I believe if it says "Made In Mexico", then the entire thing was made and assembled in Mexico. If it says "Figure Made in Mexico", then it's exactly that. Just the figure was made there, and it was packaged elsewhere. That would be why there is no hole.

Reaction score
I could be wrong about this, but I believe if it says "Made In Mexico", then the entire thing was made and assembled in Mexico. If it says "Figure Made in Mexico", then it's exactly that. Just the figure was made there, and it was packaged elsewhere. That would be why there is no hole.
Hey DJ! I just double checked and my Gammie does say Made In Mexico, on the back, and even the AFA label and it has no pin hole in the back... which I have noticed on ebay even...