Skorr - "The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell"

Reaction score
Skorr - \"The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell\"

Who else would like to see Skorr, the bounty hunter Solo "ran into on Ord Mantell" (SW comic strip), get a figure? I know EU stuff is not a Hasbro priority right now, but I thought I'd try to build some support for this character for the next time a poll comes up. I don't think he's ever made the ballot?
I've wanted a fig of him for a while. I think he's a pretty neat looking guy. Vaguely alien; part cyborg. I think he'd be fun. Here's his background...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
"In a strip where the Emperor and Darth Vader were the main villains, we couldn't have them doing much—we had to preserve their mystery. I thought a bounty hunter like Skorr would be a good character to turn into a villain." -Archie Goodwin

Han Solo's reference to "the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell" in The Empire Strikes Back spawned many stories that attempted to document the incident. The first of these was a comic strip written by Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson in 1981, named The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell, which gave the previously unnamed character the identity of Skorr. However, numerous other sources have also tried to document the story, and so the hunters Cypher Bos, Alfreda Goot, Boba Fett, and Czethros have also been said to be that bounty hunter. The official StarWars.com Databank establishes that Skorr, whose story was told first, is the bounty hunter to whom Han Solo is referring.[11]

Archie Goodwin originally created Skorr for use as a recurring villain in his Star Wars daily comic strip. He felt that overexposing Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader in the series would cause them to lose their mystique, and so Skorr was created to serve as an antagonist to the strip's main characters instead.[12]

[/QUOTE]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skorr

Reaction score
Re: Skorr - \"The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell\"

I'd get one but he has to be super articulated and extremely well detailed...

Reaction score

DarkArtist said:
I'd get one but he has to be super articulated and extremely well detailed...
Yes, I would certainly want him up to current standards. Doesn't look like there's much interest in the character though. I'm surprised; he kind of feels old school being that he dates back to '81.

Reaction score

I'd definitely be onboard for getting Skorr, since I'm a huge fan of old-school SW EU, i.e. any books or comics/newspaper strips that came out between 1978 - 1986. However, I don't see this figure being released carded - it's too obscure. And now that the comic packs are not being produced anymore, I'm not sure how Hasbro would be able to package this for collectors/fans. Maybe as an exclusive three-pack (which could include two other obscure characters from these SW newspaper strip), similar to the Rebel Pilots three-packs now available at Wal-mart/TRU?!

Reaction score

They would probably want a major character in that line-up for the more general toy market. Let's say Solo, for obvious reasons, Skorr and... his sidekick Gribbet?

EDIT: And no effing "comic colors"! Realistic figures and colors!

Reaction score

Tarfful said:
They would probably want a major character in that line-up for the more general toy market. Let's say Solo, for obvious reasons, Skorr and... his sidekick Gribbet?

who knows maybe after the Vintage collection is over in 2012 we'll see an new wave or 2 of EU figures with Skorr leading the way.
EDIT: And no effing "comic colors"! Realistic figures and colors!

Reaction score

If any EU characters deserves to get put on vintage style cards it's the true vintage EU. I did nominate both Skorr and Gribbit in the wishlisht polls. Sadly they don't get enough votes to make any difference. The Archie Goodwin strips, Marvel Comic series, Droids/Ewoks cartoons, the Brian Daley books and the Radio dramas should all get more attention than they do imo.

Reaction score

^^^ I totally agree with ya on this front!!!

Hasbro are sorely lacking any initiative by not tapping the Archie Goodwin Comic strips - this is the SW I grew up on (no doubt similar to many other SW collectors around the globe) and many characters/designs - such as Skorr - are simply begging to be made!!!

I would be up for the following made as two-packs (for starters):

Skorr & Gribbet - Goodwin strips

Rik Duel and Dani (the Zeltron) - Marvel Comics

Reaction score
I'd get him as well. He was mentioned in ESB and his design is fairly interesting too.

Reaction score
If he would be given nice detailing and a weathering affect, he'd most certainly be in my collection. But if they made him as he is in the comic, I'd pass.
I agree but I'd get him regardless. I think if Hasbro would give him a little bit of their own touch and make his paint apps more detailed and not so blatantly vibrant it'd be a better figure.

Reaction score
If he would be given nice detailing and a weathering affect, he'd most certainly be in my collection. But if they made him as he is in the comic, I'd pass.
As I said above I would most certainly want him done in a realistic fashion, just like the movie characters. I have NO interest in that "comic-colored" horse ****.

Reaction score
I liked the marvel comics, just not all the comic Colour schemes.
Would definitely buy him, bounty hunters are plainly awesome imo and again him being mentioned in ESB makes it much more wanted for me.

I hope if he is made the paint application is perfect, that's one reason I didn't buy Shysha. He looked like a shiny green beetle from Beetle Borgs.

Reaction score
I liked the marvel comics, just not all the comic Colour schemes.
Would definitely buy him, bounty hunters are plainly awesome imo and again him being mentioned in ESB makes it much more wanted for me.

I hope if he is made the paint application is perfect, that's one reason I didn't buy Shysha. He looked like a shiny green beetle from Beetle Borgs.
I detest the "comic color" gimmick. I want this guy made, but only if he's as realistic as your regular TVC figs. No comic monkey business.

Reaction score
Huh? I was always under the impression Dengar was the bounty hunter Han referred to running into on Ord Mantell?
I could have sworn reading that somewhere ages ago.

Reaction score
I have the first 3 volumes of the marvel comics star wars omnibus. unfortunately i haven't read them yet. Whats funny is right now I'm wearing a official t shirt with the cover of issue 5 on it. It makes me laugh that they have the death star aiming at where Luke and the other pilots are. Another Hilarius cover is issue 2.

Reaction score
Still waiting for an action figure of Skorr. I would hope that the character's brief glimpse in a recent Forces of Destiny SW cartoon (last year) may give the character more recognition, thereby possibly leading to a figure - but that's probably wishful thinking - LOL.

Given he is mentioned in ESB gives him a pretty high chance of being made IMO.
Well, while a bounty hunter on "Ord Mantell" was referred to by Han Solo in ESB, Skorr is never actually mentioned by name. Al Williamson/Archie Goodwin took this throw-away line & created a story around this, featuring Skorr - as seen in the classic SW newspaper strips.