Silver R2-D2 in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If you haven't read on Rebelscum that Toys "R" Us are selling the silver anniversary R2-D2 for £29.99 then you know now. And if you don't know that it is free in the US, Spain, France, Australia and Germany with a purchase of a certain amount of Star Wars toys then I've just told you.

Thoughts?

Jeremy

[ 11-21-2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy ]

G

This sucks.

Are any of you guys still planning to buy it?

I don't think anything is that special about the Silver figure, I would have taken it if they had given it you free with purchases of £40 or over.

I'll probably give it a miss. Hopefully this is just something abnormal with Southampton....

Reaction score
Unfortunately there have been reports in from other branches of Toys "R" Us corroborating the price.

Jeremy

Reaction score
£30......they can keep em.I do want one of these but will wait and pick one up for a reasonable price further down the line.Don't forget there are plenty out there by all accounts.

G

I was going to buy one from R2Dtoys for 23.00, but then I thought 'No, I'll wait and get one through the TRU promotion, cos there are loads of figures I need still'

This is heinous. 30 pounds is daylight robbery. Surely no one will buy them for that price. . .????

Steve

G

Here is what sucks in my opinion. Canada as it is gets screwed on Star Wars figures. Most of what the U.S. has/gets, we don't have or get. We are only now just seeing some figures from EP1!

When it comes to the Silver R2, I wrote hasbro and Toys R Us to ask why we were not getting that figure up here. Hasbro's response was that it is a U.S. exclusive. Now all I am seeing is other countries getting the Silver R2, so obviously Hasbro is feeding me some BS.

I contacted them yet again to call them on this, asking why they told me that it is a U.S. exclusive, yet Germany, Australia and others are getting the figure. No response yet. Pisses me off.

TFC

Reaction score
Originally posted by TFC:
Here is what sucks in my opinion. Canada as it is gets screwed on Star Wars figures. Most of what the U.S. has/gets, we don't have or get. We are only now just seeing some figures from EP1!
<font size="2" face="arial">At the risk of sidetracking the topic, this isn't necessarily true. Hasbro offers all their items out worldwide. If a toy is an exclusive to one store in the US this doesn't mean that it is exclusive to the US, just to that retailer. The same toy will be offered to other retailers around the world. If TRU UK decide to buy up all the Gunships offered to UK retailers then they become a Toys "R" Us exclusive in this country. You see it isn't Hasbro who decides who gets the exclusives - it's down to how many items the retailer buys.

The flipside to this process is if no retailer wants an item then it doesn't get brought in to the UK. This is how is was - things have changed now that Hasbro UK have an online retail section. Any item not bought by the retail industry is likely to appear on the website. So no item will go missed by UK collectors.

Now get back to to the Artoo issue

Jeremy

[ 11-22-2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Jeremy ]

G

Ok, to stay on topic, yes, charging that much for the supposedly free R2 is rediculous.

To add to the Toys R Us issue, it was not only Hasbro that said it is U.S. exclusive, here is what TRU told me:

"Thank you for your email correspondence,

Unfortunately this was a promotion in the U.S. only and not in Canada.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and if we
may be of any other assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Thank you,
Ofelia
Customer Service Canada"

Just pointing out that both TRU and Hasbro stated it to be U.S. exclusive, not that they chose not to have it.

TFC

Reaction score
Originally posted by TFC:
Unfortunately this was a promotion in the U.S. only and not in Canada.
<font size="2" face="arial">Nope, that's not an example of it being a US exclusive. It's an example of TRU being a dinosaur - the head doesn't know what the tail is doing. The silver R2 was destinied to be a multi-national exclusive from the get go.

Jeremy

G

Its free now if you spend £30.

I bet the problem arised from someone resembling that spotty kid in the Simpsons that works in Krusty Kid getting confused with the £30 idea.

Reaction score
Originally posted by SpiceBoy2k2:
I bet the problem arised from someone resembling that spotty kid in the Simpsons that works in Krusty Kid getting confused with the £30 idea.
<font size="2" face="arial">Nope - the instructions to charge £30 came from TRU UK HQ, and it was they who rescinded the instructions in favour of the giveaway option last night.

Jeremy

Reaction score
the only annoying thing is that the uk TRU website is not very good and does not have all their starwars stuff on their damm them lol

i'll have to go and see what they've got for myself

G

Got him yesterday. He looks great, but I can't open him until Christmas...

Reaction score
Despite not buying a modern Star Wars figure in 5 years I headed down to ToysRUs Preston today and got my silver R2D2.

Its a nice figure on a nice card and will be displayed with my Vintage collection. The only problem is I had to buy 6 Saga figures to get him.

4 Ephant Mons, an R2D2 and a Jango later I have him in my clutches. Anyone need an Ephant???

G

As R2 doesn't appear on the receipt, and as the check out girls don't have a clue about the offer, why not take the figures back for a refund next week when they have forgotten the whole R2 thing?

This was always set to be a freebie, selling it was an error...

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.