Sideshow Premium vs. Gentle Giant

Reaction score
I'm wondering how the Sideshow Premium format statues compare to the GG Statues. I'm really interested in the Sideshow Leia, but $274 seems a bit steep for something that Gentle Giant would sell for $100 less.

I like Sideshow's 12" figures, but I've yet to see their premium format stuff. I'm guessing it's worth the money because people are buying it, but I'm wondering what makes it worth that kind of dough. Aside from pose, why would somebody buy a Sideshow Vader over a GG Vader?

Reaction score
Something I have learned is: just because people are buying something, doesn't mean it's worth the money

Reaction score
While it's true that popularity does not equal quality, I think that the costuming/tailoring and exact miniature replication of the tiniest details are what drive the cost on these things. It's one thing to sculpt what looks like a little leather pouch or blaster, and quite another to acurrately and convincingly reproduce these things in a smaller scale out of comparable materials. Personally, I think that the premium format 1/4 figures have a three dimensional reality and feel that a simple sculpt does not possess, and I am willing to pay more for that.

Reaction score
Sideshow pieces are much better than GG in terms of likeness and quality. It's not an "apples to apples" comparison.

It's like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota.

Reaction score
Gruson said:
Sideshow pieces are much better than GG in terms of likeness and quality. It's not an "apples to apples" comparison.

It's like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota.
Exactly! Ditto!

Oh, hey Gruson...What's up!?

Reaction score
Gruson said:
Sideshow pieces are much better than GG in terms of likeness and quality.

Excuse me?!? That's completely untrue. GG is much better with likeness, while Sideshow is better with sheer magnitude and clothing. It's apples and oranges either way, but in terms of likeness GG would win. You can't beat an actual scan of the prop/character.

Reaction score
Dark_Destiny said:
Excuse me?!? That's completely untrue. GG is much better with likeness, while Sideshow is better with sheer magnitude and clothing. It's apples and oranges either way, but in terms of likeness GG would win. You can't beat an actual scan of the prop/character.
So Gentle Giant can go back in time and scan all the ANH characters to mimic their exact features at that time? Simple answer: No, they can't.

Sideshow easily wins the "likeness" comparison. Just look at the sculptors employed with them vs. GG. Andy Bergholtz, Pablo Viggiano, Martin Canale, etc. Those guys are the BEST in the field, and easily smoke the likenesses that GG offers.

Look at the GG Han Solo bust vs. the Sideshow statue or the GG Vader statue vs. the Sideshow statue. The SS piece makes the GG statue look like a little toy.

Reaction score
I can agree with that you can't compare the two, but please don't refer to GG as a Toyota. They deserve a little better car comparison than that.

The only thing that really keeps me away from Sideshow is the fact that it does have real cloths on. I'd always feel like I overpaid for a 12" Kenner figure. That would probably be the first thing out of anyones mouth if they saw it in my collection "Oh, I see you collect the larger action figures". (I'm not talking about other collectors, but rather the common visitor to my home). If I'm going to collect statues, I want to know that it is a statue, and in my mind (and my own opinion), it all has to be frozen in time. Cloths, cape or whatever is on the figure itself. Of course with that said, it still has to have good quality to it, so with that said, GG gets my vote when it comes to what I like to collect.

As long as where on Sideshow, I want to know what everyone sees in that vader. That funky arm going across his chest is just weird looking. That alone would draw me away from it. It just looks wrong and seems to throw the whole statue out of wack.

Reaction score
"It's like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota"

I think this comparison is way off. Sideshow make great quality stuff for sure but so does Gentle Giant.

Reaction score
The only likeness from SS I liked so far are the first pictures of Obi Wan. Although admittedly, GG is not perfect when it comes to likeness, I cannot say SS Luke and Han convince me. And Ebay prices for Luke show that a lot of people do not like the likeness/lack thereof.

The SS statues should be more popular than they are, because people presently like size. The bigger, the better. And GG with 1/6 is "small" in this field.

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's like comparing a Porsche and a Toyota. For one thing, I don't think Sideshow's products are good enough in the QC department to warrant a Porsche comparison. Sideshow has some major QC issues to work out in my opinion, and it's not limited to their "cheaper" stuff either....

Beyond that, SS' 1/4 figures are obviously larger than 1/6 scale Gentle Giant statues. So you're paying for the larger size plus the mixed media used on the SS pieces, whereas GG's stuff is mostly resin. And it looks like nowadays, SS' pieces are going to be more limited than GG's, so you could possibly chalk that up as another reason why it costs more. I doubt you'll be seeing many SS edition sizes of 15-20k in the future, like GG.

In general though, Sideshow's stuff is a little more high end than Gentle Giant, so it's going to cost more regardless. But keep in mind you can find most of these pieces cheaper than you can buy them direct from SS. So just because the exclusive SS Leia costs $274 doesn't mean you have to buy it - you could wait and pick up the regular version for less than $200 probably on eBay once it's released. Didn't the 1/4 Luke cost $200 direct from Sideshow? I saw it on eBay for about $120 a while back.

Reaction score
Umm... Actually, the original retail price for Luke was $250, not $200. So yes, if you hold out for Ebay and don't always go for the exclusive figures, you can get a Sideshow piece at a lower price--in this case, less than half of the original price.

Rod

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
So Gentle Giant can go back in time and scan all the ANH characters to mimic their exact features at that time? Simple answer: No, they can't.

[/QUOTE]
Oh, but SS can????

Nope, GG can't....but it seems they don't have to for some of them...look at the Tarkin....and the actor is even dead. I was very impressed by the Tarkin.

Sideshow easily wins the "likeness" comparison. Just look at the sculptors employed with them vs. GG. Andy Bergholtz, Pablo Viggiano, Martin Canale, etc. Those guys are the BEST in the field, and easily smoke the likenesses that GG offers.

[/QUOTE]
I think the "average" consumer will care less about who is sculpitng what....all they care is what it comes out like. Easily smoke? That is defenitevely a matter of opinion....

Look at the GG Han Solo bust vs. the Sideshow statue

[/QUOTE]
I'll admit...the GG Han is a bit off but the SS one is not much better. I don't think every single GG product is perfect but I think it's like comparing apples to tomatoes....two different mediums.

or the GG Vader statue vs. the Sideshow statue. The SS piece makes the GG statue look like a little toy.

[/QUOTE]
Definitively a matter of opinion....I have seen both in person and was more than glad to spend $200 for the GG one....wouldn't even spend $150 for the SS one....something has always looked off about it.

The SS Leia is quite impressive....for now. We have only seen prototypes.....who knows what the final product will look like. SS has a bad history of having real nice prototypes but when the products come out they look completely different.

SS are nice but not for the price........way too expensive.

EDIT: And Luke? I wouldn't pay $80 for that one....it looks like crap. Grievous is awesome! Leia is nice...Han is acceptable....Vader I wouldn't turn away for around $100...Luke, I wouldn't touch it with somebody else's.....

Reaction score
Gundam said:
Oh, but SS can????

Nope, GG can't....but it seems they don't have to for some of them...look at the Tarkin....and the actor is even dead. I was very impressed by the Tarkin.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Tarkin was made from scanning a lifecast of Mr. Cushing. The way they made Luke and Han, from what I heard, was by taking a scan of the actor as they look now and "de-aging" them digitally.

Reaction score
The GG 1/6 SW line comes out of the exact same factory as the SS 1/6 LOTR line. If you want to compare, then compare those two lines.

IMHO there is really no way you can compare a 1/4 MM PF line to a 1/6 all resin line. I like and collect all three lines and while I absolutly love the 1/6 all resin statues, the SS 1/4 is deff the "priemium" line. The authenticity and realism is amazing.

Jesse

Reaction score
SS definately has high prices but their stuff looks amazing so far. I did briefly have the SS Luke statue and I didn't think it was worth the money or that great and it also had a chip out of the base so I sent it back for a refund. However, the upcoming grievous, obi-wan, and leia statues look stunning so far. Easily the best likeness of obi wan and leia so far out of any of the companies. Gentle Giant has some great items too though. I'd say pick up what you like from both lines.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Leia from Fireside as they seem to have a pretty good price.

The pictures look excellent, and if I don't like it, I'm sure I'd be able to sell it to recoup at least some of my money.

I actually didn't realize that the Sideshow statues used soft goods for clothing, and is in a different scale to GG's.
I'm going to have to start paying attention to such things better.

Reaction score
I dont mind seeing fabric used in statues, but what's with the gnome looking Obi hood from SS? Does anyone else think that the SS Obi does'nt look all that accurate (facial features)?
I pre-ordered the SS grievous w/cape but other than that one and the Vader, I was'nt as into the SS SW line. The only thing about GG I'm not crazy about is the fact that we don't see enough head to toe statues, just busts. I dunno, I'm just not crazy about busts. GG does produce some pretty killer statues for decent prices. You definately have to see em up close in person to fully appreciate the GG line.

Reaction score
That was an early pic and the new pics accuratly show his hood as it should and will be.

Trust me I saw it at the Con and it's nothing short or amazing!

Jesse

Reaction score
Like others have stated you cannot compare SS over GG. Personally I like both lines, but I rather go with GG because they are more affordable. If I could affor SS I would definitely purchase an Obi, and Leia statue, but my funds don't even allow me to purchase a GG statue at this point. They are all awesome....

Reaction score
Hey Andy, glad to see you venture over to this board from statueforum
. I gotta say again, GREAT job on the leia statue!

Reaction score
Thanks Jawa.
I've lurked here for a while... Very curious to see more discussion in the 1/6 area when that line starts spreading it's wings.

Reaction score
Sideshow_Andy,

I've noticed that all characters minus the General Grevious are all based on Episode 4. Is Sideshow in general gonna be releasing the statues of characters in order per film? By the way...fantastic work on the Leia!

I haven't seen any of the SS statues in person but it looks to me as though they are of great quality for the price being paid. I'm looking forward to receiving the Han to have a better idea of what to expect on all future releases.

As far as a comparison of quality, I think it's too early to tell which company does better work. In terms of affordability, GG wins hands down and their quality is very good for their price. Does that mean that SS Star Wars statues are not worth the retail price? I can't say but I do know I will need plenty of room for these statues in my colection.

Reaction score
The initial foray into the license was intended to start with Ep IV, but the line will not continue in chronological order. There's going to be a good mix of characters in the coming schedule that spans all the movies.

p.s. Thanks for the compliment!