Sideshow 1:1 Stormtrooper bust

Reaction score
I think it would be better if buying a RS Prop Masters or even Anovos helmet, chest/back armor and shoulder bells, and make you own bust. Will be more accurate for sure. We'll see how this bust looks and what price SSC asks for, and also if limited edition or open edition.

Reaction score
Picture of the bust on Sideshow Freaks page 3. Also on Statue Forum. I have tried and tired to figure out how to a picture

Reaction score
Picture of the bust on Sideshow Freaks page 3. Also on Statue Forum. I have tried and tired to figure out how to a picture
Posting a picture on this forum is quite simple. If getting a photo from your PC, post it on a site like tinypic.com, imgur etc. You need to get the link that usually ends in ".jpg" or ".png" etc. Then paste it here between
, or by clicking the "Insert image" button

Reaction score
Better, not in my opinion? The neck piece is wrong and the lenses don't fit into the eye socket? They're bulbous and have gaps in the corners. I'll stick with the sideshow bust.
It is just a helmet and armor pieces on a mannequin bust. There is no neck seal or other details.

There is no real comparison; they are two different types of products.

Sideshow is more of an interpretation, or idealized, piece. It is also licensed, which has it's own merit to some people.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Better, not in my opinion? The neck piece is wrong and the lenses don't fit into the eye socket? They're bulbous and have gaps in the corners. I'll stick with the sideshow bust.
The Sideshow Clone bust, ,which was made from CGI files is much better than the Stormtrooper. SDS has its own issues, but is indeed more accurate. For licensed you can also go with Anovos. I get the idea of some people liking idealized stuff, but the old symmetrical Master Replicas Collector's Edition / EFX Precision Cast helmet looks better than the Sideshow bust. But if you like the inaccurate Sideshow bust, more power to you.

As for how a Stormtrooper should look like, more information can be found here: www.starwarshelmets.com and here: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm

Reaction score
It is nice but I also wish they would have kept the bases the same. Why change something that worked so well?

Reaction score
I guess if you like to collect 1:1 scale busts. I'm not sure where the fine line between Sideshow producing something "idealized" VS "movie accurate" is. I can surmise that if they made it movie accurate, they'd run the risk of violating their license agreements, but then again, it's a bust, not a "replica" in terms of licensing.

Just for the price, you could produce one for yourself using accurate costume parts for a lot cheaper. Licensed, sure. I've only really ever knew one person that genuinely cared about that in terms of "accuracy." If this was something like the gentle giants mini-busts, I'd be less critical of accuracy, but being 1:1, I'd at least want the helmet to be somewhat true to the film's costumes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some people will go with licensed no matter what. Idealized is what they like, no wonder Anovos receives angry messages from customers about their asymmetrical Stormie helmets on forums, Facebook page and by email, from people who have no clue how the screen used helmets looked like. I guess this is another reason why for RO Disney made perfectly symmetrical helmets.

Reaction score
Some people will go with licensed no matter what. Idealized is what they like, no wonder Anovos receives angry messages from customers about their asymmetrical Stormie helmets on forums, Facebook page and by email, from people who have no clue how the screen used helmets looked like. I guess this is another reason why for RO Disney made perfectly symmetrical helmets.
I think from just a filming perspective, it wouldn't look quite "right" for current generation to see rough and tumble TKs' we're familiar with in the OT. It's like how after they rolled out HD on TV/live broadcasts for the very first time (I remember), people realized that they had to be more "careful" about their appearance prior to going on camera, cause boy, it could be bad.

From a purely fan perspective, I can appreciate what they did for R1 to make it more "real world." I'm not as much of a die-hard TK enthusiast but the R1 version, to me, is representative of how they would more or less "really look like." The perception I have when thinking about it is figure the events of star wars being real, but the OT films are just "historical recreations" with costumes, whereas watching R1 is what it all really looked like (aesthetically speaking)

It's kinda whacky, but that's how I perceive the differences in appearance

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think from just a filming perspective, it wouldn't look quite "right" for current generation to see rough and tumble TKs' we're familiar with in the OT. It's like how after they rolled out HD on TV/live broadcasts for the very first time (I remember), people realized that they had to be more "careful" about their appearance prior to going on camera, cause boy, it could be bad.

From a purely fan perspective, I can appreciate what they did for R1 to make it more "real world." I'm not as much of a die-hard TK enthusiast but the R1 version, to me, is representative of how they would more or less "really look like." The perception I have when thinking about it is figure the events of star wars being real, but the OT films are just "historical recreations" with costumes, whereas watching R1 is what it all really looked like (aesthetically speaking)

It's kinda whacky, but that's how I perceive the differences in appearance
That is what I said all along on many forums including Rebelscum, the Freaks board, RPF, Statue Forum etc.: at this time and age an asymmetrical helmet with warts and dings wouldn't cut it in the high-def, 3D, 4k etc. cinematics, so it is ok what Diseny did for Rogue One.
The problem is this bust doesn't resemble the Rogue One Stormtrooper either, it's just a bad looking symmetrical helmet, the classic inaccurate "artistic interpretation" by Sideshow

Reaction score
That is what I said all along on many forums including Rebelscum, the Freaks board, RPF, Statue Forum etc.: at this time and age an asymmetrical helmet with warts and dings wouldn't cut it in the high-def, 3D, 4k etc. cinematics, so it is ok what Diseny did for Rogue One.
The problem is this bust doesn't resemble the Rogue One Stormtrooper either, it's just a bad looking symmetrical helmet, the classic inaccurate "artistic interpretation" by Sideshow
Unfortunately, that's the reality of Sideshow, it seems. I can't tell you how many Snowtrooper items out there are horribly inaccurate, even mini-busts. Hell, I never bought the gentle giants snowtrooper bust when I had an opportunity because the eyes are wrong.

As I eluded to in my earlier post, perhaps Sideshow has a restriction on how "accurate" they can go before being considered a 'replica' in the terms of their license. I wouldn't perceive that any attempts for accuracy would be restricted, but just a thought. It's really my opinion that the artists just don't have the keen eye for details. I imagine these guys have to produce sculpts of various models from different franchises, so you couldn't reasonably expect them to be as learned about every feature.

IDK, at what point does this just become "fan art" w/ branding slapped onto it? I seem to get crap every now and then from die-hard collectors in regards to the costuming side of things, but the reality is that folks like myself pride ourselves in owning screen accurate replicas or pieces cast directly off of the real props. The reality is that unless you delve into that side of prop building/collecting, you're restricting yourself to the brand-names in the hopes that your $1000 investment on a 1:1 artist interpretation stormtrooper bust will be as good as a 1:1 bust some guy into costume building made on his own, for $300-400 using parts derived from screen used assets. Sure, the cheaper one is made by fan and doesn't have branding, but at the end of the day, which will look better in your living room?