Should there be 2 Black Series lines?

Reaction score
It seems a lot of the current line is focused on current media (Mandalorian, Bad Batch) & older media (OT & PT films) tends to not get as much focus. I get why they are doing it, strike while the iron is hot mentality. I can see future waves focusing on Book of Boba, Mando S3 & Obi-Wan.

Would it be good for Hasbro if they had 2 different SKUs or 2 different lines? One line just doing figures from the new media & the other line just covering past films/shows. Have some dedicated waves focused on the new TV season/film (and frickin time release to match up to the show/film). The other line do waves based on OT/PT films. Maybe a wave for just ANH, then do one on TPM, then ESB, etc. OT pretty much always sells. Except for Ceremony Luke, I can't think of any OT figures that really sit around. Even PT figures sell pretty good.

Personally, I'd love for Hasbro to do a few OT waves just to fill in some Kenner figure gaps. ANH just needs Hammerhead, Death Star Droid, Power Droid & Snaggletooth. (Walrus Man is coming). 4 figures. All these guys can be used in other era displays.

ESB just needs 2-iB, Bespin Guard (both), Cloud Car Pilot, FX-7, Bespin Leia, Lobot, Rebel Commander/Reiken, & Ugnaught. 9 figures. If Hasbro is willing to add swappable heads/hands, they could cover both Bespin Guards with one figure. Ugnaughts are pretty small, throw in a swappable head with him for army building.

ROTJ & POTF are the least covered.

Reaction score
As an ESB nut all I can say is yes please bring it. This sea of media influence has slowed delivery of characters from where it all started.

Edit: That and the never ending re-issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Went off a cardback and here are the missing ROTJ & POTF figures. Many of the guys are potential troop builders and many of the aliens can fit into any era scenes.

ROTJ
Chief Chirpa
Weequay
Logray
Ree Yees
Endor Soldier - do like Hoth Soldier and multiple swappable parts
Nein Numb - this guy was in the ST in the same outfit.
Gen Madine
8D8
Prune Face
Klaatu (skiff)
Wicket
Bib Fortuna
Rancor Keeper
AT-ST Driver
Klaatu
Nikto
B-Wing Pilot
Squid Face

POTF 1
EV-9D9
R2-D2 with Lightsaber - at least I don't think one of the released R2s has that ability
Warok
Imperial Dignitary - just screams convention exclusive. Even as OT, potential pegwarmer if normal retail
Romba
Barada
Old Anakin - have both Hayden & Sebastian Shaw swappable heads
Death Star Gunner
A-Wing Pilot
Anamanaman - deluxe release due to his size probably

Many of the Ewoks could be just repaints of Paploo/Teebo with new headdresses & accessories
Lumat
Yak Face

Reaction score
I don't see this particular thing happening for many reasons, main one being that they couldn't seem to manage more than one line in the past so I don't see it happening now. Secondly they already split the line between Exclusives such as Gaming Greats etc. so the possibility to get certain figure from specific media is there already. Third, I don't see how branching off the line into two will net anyone what they desire because there's only one budget that covers it all. So even if they did so the ratio would stay the same as it is now.

Reaction score
Business wise, Hasbro need to focus on what is current and what stands a higher chance of selling whilst Mandalorian, Clone Wars and incoming shows are fresh on the minds and in the media. Obviously this will always conflict with us collectors, however id rather Hasbro be creating and releasing figures than nothing at all. Whilst rereleases/repaints are an annoyance to some, to others its a chance to obtain something they missed even with some changes to the original version. Changing production lines for components is a massive task in itself, so making use of what they have already in stock ready to use makes sense. Selling a bunch of them is better than them just sitting there taking up preciouses space.

Covid apocalypse has caused a lot of issues for everyone, what isn't in the media so much is issues with workforce's all over the globe as well as huge political shenanigans going on in China (I wont go into detail here, take a look). Cargo hold and deck space is at a huge premium at the moment, who ever is willing to pay the most gets the space. Our toys wont be taking priority over pharmaceutical, automotive and perishables.

I have no doubt Hasbro will get there eventually, I hope. Hasbro, more ESB stuff please and some new Ewoks to go with the Endor rebel troopers that's in the works :p

Give us a Mara Jade.......please.......

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am almost entirely devoted to OT and PT 6" figures at this point.
Everything else looks great, but I'm not in any place to get in on these other figures.

The more and more Hasbro releases other tangential series figures, the easier it is for me to save money and space.

I don't see them dividing anything up in any definitive way, so I will just sit and wait while I have access to extremely limited funds and space as it stands now.

I really would LOVE to complete that first whole set of Kenner ANH in 6" scale though.
Just really waiting on Walrusman, Hammerhead and Snaggletooth at this point.

Deathstar Droid and 'Power Droid' (Gonk) would be nice too.
;)

Reaction score
Some of these guys could be released in the 'current media' line. A Power Droid lives on the Bad Batch ship. A Death Star droid was in the Mandalorian Bar & Rogue One & Rebels. Book of Boba Fett is in Jabba's Palace so you know a few of those aliens will appear. Knock a few of these guys out under those lines, Hasbro.

Reaction score
Some of these guys could be released in the 'current media' line. A Power Droid lives on the Bad Batch ship. A Death Star droid was in the Mandalorian Bar & Rogue One & Rebels. Book of Boba Fett is in Jabba's Palace so you know a few of those aliens will appear. Knock a few of these guys out under those lines, Hasbro.
I'd be stoked if Hasbro released the mighty E-web Cannon from The Mandalorian (hint hint) for example. Works just as well in an ice fortress, everybody wins. :unsure:

Reaction score
I think it’s an interesting idea but I honestly think Hasbro has been threading the needle of character mixture pretty well throughout this line’s history. We all have our preferences and we all need to be patient. Yeah Mando is getting the most love now but so is CW and I’ve been waiting since day 1 for CW figures. Same for my other preference, EU. Before the GG and comic pack figs we got 2 EU figures from this line, Revan and Jaina. The OT has gotten a lot of figures from the beginning but obviously we’re also a long way from any kind of original 96 completion.

Reaction score
I don’t see why having two separate lines would help increase the output of any specific source material from the Saga.

The Original Trilogy is already really well represented compared to all other parts of the universe. Every other part really has a lot of catching up today, except for perhaps the Sequel Trilogy, which is oversaturated in relation to its popularity.

The Prequel Trilogy is toy-friendly, and definitely deserves some more attention. But yes, strike while the iron is hot for the new media.

Reaction score
No. From a marketing point of view it will split collectors and risk having completists focus solely on one line while neglecting the other.

Under one brand it's easier to market, and get new collectors exposed to characters of all the films and etc.

Reaction score
I find this to be an interesting question. I could see the appeal of another line that strictly deals with figures/characters that people are after. I actually would vote for something like that. But I could also see it being a hassle and a half trying to find them and probably losing track of preorders.
So ultimately I would say no it's not a good idea.

Reaction score
I think it’s an interesting idea but I honestly think Hasbro has been threading the needle of character mixture pretty well throughout this line’s history. We all have our preferences and we all need to be patient. Yeah Mando is getting the most love now but so is CW and I’ve been waiting since day 1 for CW figures. Same for my other preference, EU. Before the GG and comic pack figs we got 2 EU figures from this line, Revan and Jaina. The OT has gotten a lot of figures from the beginning but obviously we’re also a long way from any kind of original 96 completion.
Pretty much agree here, while there might be pockets of people who only collect one aspect of Star Wars, we realize that Hasbro has to appeal to all Collectors as a whole and represent all aspects of Franchise as best/equally as possible. And I too feel they've done a very good job as of late, considering the origins of the line had a heavy OT focus. I also think Collectors need to realize that they likely won't see the OG 96 repeated in 6" because it's a totally different format from why TVC is doing it.
Since TBS doesn't have the whole world building aspect or a 40 year history behind the line I don't see a need for it to repeat a lot of those characters, and to me it feels more like a line meant for core heroes everyone knows. I just don't see them delving that deep such as say Sim Aloo or a couple other more obscure characters. I do think it's neat they do figures like Dr. Evazan but feel the shortcuts take away from the figure itself. Even if they do attempt to complete the original 96 it will take longer than anyone has time for.

It's also cool they have tackled some EU characters, my most favorite aspect of the line and Star Wars in general! if it weren't for EU figure I wouldn't have even started buying into the 6" line.

Reaction score
Went off a cardback and here are the missing ROTJ & POTF figures. Many of the guys are potential troop builders and many of the aliens can fit into any era scenes.

ROTJ
Chief Chirpa
Weequay
Logray
Ree Yees
Endor Soldier - do like Hoth Soldier and multiple swappable parts
Nein Numb - this guy was in the ST in the same outfit.
Gen Madine
8D8
Prune Face
Klaatu (skiff)
Wicket
Bib Fortuna
Rancor Keeper
AT-ST Driver
Klaatu
Nikto
B-Wing Pilot
Squid Face

POTF 1
EV-9D9
R2-D2 with Lightsaber - at least I don't think one of the released R2s has that ability
Warok
Imperial Dignitary - just screams convention exclusive. Even as OT, potential pegwarmer if normal retail
Romba
Barada
Old Anakin - have both Hayden & Sebastian Shaw swappable heads
Death Star Gunner
A-Wing Pilot
Anamanaman - deluxe release due to his size probably

Many of the Ewoks could be just repaints of Paploo/Teebo with new headdresses & accessories
Lumat
Yak Face

I'll be honest, the only character I'm interested in there is Wicket.

I'm a 'key characters only' collector when it comes to the Black Series (which really is what The Black Series is for). Background obscurities like the list above are more suited to 3.75" lines / The Vintage Collection.

Keep TBS as one line and focus on the important characters. I'm fine with the ongoing media releases influencing the character choices because that's what I'm interested in. Frankly it's crazy to me that we don't have an Ahsoka or Boba Fett from The Mandalorian yet, or a Chancellor / Emperor Palpatine from Revenge of the Sith. These are much more a priority than 8D8, Lumat, B-Wing Pilot, etc...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m probably in the minority here, but here’s what I’d like...

I definitely appreciate all of the new characters being done in the main line. I’m a fan since the ‘80s but I’m also in the minority in that I like everything that’s been put out as far as movies and TV. I just don’t overthink it, and there’s nothing wrong with those who do.

That being said, my idea would be to have a separate series, maybe two-three waves per year so eight-twelve figures total, of purely OT characters who haven’t been done in TBS before. Do them on vintage cards corresponding to whichever entity they had the most presence in (I’m an opener but I’m a sucker for vintage cardbacks.) and (here’s where I lose a lot of you) throw them up for pre-order at all the usual retailers for $25 a pop. Costs are going up and there would be new sculpting involved.

Reaction score
I like the idea of themed waves like Marvel Legends has.

They could be fairly vague themes, like Republic era, Rebellion era, and Resistance era, to allow for a mix of old and new characters in each wave so that there is potentially something for everyone.

Not gonna happen, but for some reason it appeals to me.

Reaction score

They could be fairly vague themes, like Republic era, Rebellion era, and Resistance era, to allow for a mix of old and new characters in each wave so that there is potentially something for everyone.

This is actually a good idea as a sort of compromise from the original post.

Reaction score

I agree it is a good idea. The problem is Marvel puts out MANY more waves a year than SW. So they can do a dedicated X-Men, Spider-Man, Villain wave, etc. With SW we only get like 2 or 3 reg waves a year and then a bunch of random exclusives.

Reaction score
Themed waves wouldn’t necessarily work for some of the less popular films/ shows. Even sought-after Sequels figures like Dark Side Rey, highly anticipated ones like Training Flashback Luke & Leia, and frequently requested ones like Ben, Finn, and Poe have been and will need to be short-packed compared to other figures, and in waves with more popular figures that can carry the line.

If we get TROS Ben Solo, then he’s not going to be in a wave with Poe, Finn, First Order Trooper, and General Hux. They’ll balance him with some more “safe bets” from the OT and Mandalorian.

Reaction score
Themed waves wouldn’t necessarily work for some of the less popular films/ shows. Even sought-after Sequels figures like Dark Side Rey, highly anticipated ones like Training Flashback Luke & Leia, and frequently requested ones like Ben, Finn, and Poe have been and will need to be short-packed compared to other figures, and in waves with more popular figures that can carry the line.

If we get TROS Ben Solo, then he’s not going to be in a wave with Poe, Finn, First Order Trooper, and General Hux. They’ll balance him with some more “safe bets” from the OT and Mandalorian.

That's why I'd suggest very broad themes. You'd still have the current color branding for individual properties, but the waves wouldn't necessarily be restricted to one film/show or even trilogy.

"Republic" era could cover PT, Clone Wars, High Republic, KOTOR, etc.

"Rebellion" era could cover Solo, Bad Batch, Rogue One, Rebels, Jedi: Fallen Order, current Marvel comics, OT, etc.

"Resistance" era could cover Mandalorian, Resistance, ST, Galaxy's Edge, etc.

From time to time you could do "complete the crew" waves like they've done for Rogue One and Rebels, anniversary waves, etc.

That's four waves, which is about what we get now.

Reaction score
I also feel they should reintroduce repacks if it would mean more original sculpts and more waves per year. But be smart with the repacks. Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Din Djarin, etc. If a figure must peg warm, make it one that will eventually sell through based on recognition. They wonder why repacks of Zorii Bliss or Ceremonial Luke don't sell; they're too niche. ANH red box Darth Vader peg warmed for a while, but eventually sold out because it was Darth Vader.

Reaction score
That's why I'd suggest very broad themes. You'd still have the current color branding for individual properties, but the waves wouldn't necessarily be restricted to one film/show or even trilogy.

"Republic" era could cover PT, Clone Wars, High Republic, KOTOR, etc.

"Rebellion" era could cover Solo, Bad Batch, Rogue One, Rebels, Jedi: Fallen Order, current Marvel comics, OT, etc.

"Resistance" era could cover Mandalorian, Resistance, ST, Galaxy's Edge, etc.

From time to time you could do "complete the crew" waves like they've done for Rogue One and Rebels, anniversary waves, etc.

That's four waves, which is about what we get now.

Haven't Lucasfilm/Disney officially named some eras something similar? They could go with that as well. It would probably please Darth Disney.

GNT

Reaction score
I don’t see it happening, one line works fine as it is, Hasbro tends to do waves so a wave of Mandalorian etc isn’t that bad

Reaction score
We have the Archive line for reissues of older figures. Most of them have been from the OT and PT. Not to mention some of the other anniversary sublines and whatnot. I'm sure Hasbro will find a way to get most of the older figures back to retail.

Reaction score
No because there's no way we're getting more figures out of them through a 2-line release.

And that's the biggest problem I have with the line is the number of figures we get per year. I agree with everyone else that the character ratio is spread pretty well. One separate line dedicated to 3 movies and another separate line dedicated to (currently) 8 movies, nearly 15 seasons of television (live action/animated), countless EU/video games just isn't the best use of resources.

Marvel has the room to play with because they have movies coming out (pre-covid) 3-4 times a year, plus how many comics coming out weekly. Those are constant opportunities for new customers but also for upgrades to figures and reissues. The Archive figures are a real smart way for Hasbro to be able to get new collectors up to speed.

Also, while the OT does have heavy hitters that are very sought after, the 40th anniversary figures don't exactly fly off the shelves. Some characters definitely do, but not enough to bank a whole separate line off of.

Reaction score
Themed waves with a couple one off high demand figures thrown in at the back are the way to go. It keeps things topical and the chances of one purchasing the whole wave increases exponentially

for example something like this where you have 4-6 main figures connected to promoting the theme (and even better if the one offs thematically tie in such a Bib Fortuna, given his fatter appearance in the finale)

Mandalorian S2 Wave 1
Nomad Boba x1
Fennec Shand x1
Asohka x1
Mortar Stormtrooper x1
Miggs Mayfeld x1
BB Howzer
TCW Pre Visla
OT Bib Fortuna

Do the same formula for all the new media like Book of Boba, Obi Wan, Andor, etc. And when you have time/ space in between you can do an OT wave here and there to close some gaps or as fan channel exclusives sets like the Rebels/Rogue One rereleases

Reaction score
How many 'new figures' are released for BS6 per year versus Marvel Legends.
I'm not looking at any numbers myself, just asking - it seems ML far surpasses BS6?
Could we ever see the same volume?

Reaction score
Not likely because for one ML has a lot more reuse possibilities by utilizing the same mold for several Comic characters, Star Wars just doesn't have the potential for mold reuse unless we're talking about Clones and Mandalorian. Most of the molds are character specific and it shows when they do use them, granted characters like Jaxxon are well done with existing parts and minor new tooling. Yet you can tell it was Luke which is a shame because he's taller than Luke. I suspect these tiny inaccuracies are overlooked by most because they're just happy to have the character made.

But overall most characters in Star Wars doesn't lend well for other characters.

Reaction score
How many 'new figures' are released for BS6 per year versus Marvel Legends.
I'm not looking at any numbers myself, just asking - it seems ML far surpasses BS6?
Could we ever see the same volume?

Not really likely at all. Marvel does 6-7 figures a wave and probably twice as many waves per year. From my understanding, the Marvel team has basically moved beyond having to explain "the repaint pay for the new parts" and in one of their last virtual events basically said "we have such a huge library of parts but we still need to make use of the old tools where they make sense". So even some of the newest figures have a little reuse here and there.

Also marvel legends has had almost 20 consistent years of being on the shelf. There's no division of scale either, so they're not needing to please collectors of two different scales.

Reaction score
Very true, and likely something they were hoping TBS would eventually do. But it appears some hard core TVC backers wouldn't convert.

Reaction score
I wasn't collecting SW when TBS was announced, but I remember seeing articles about it and it seemed like it was basically being launched almost as like, a supplemental line and like they weren't intending on making it their main line and it wouldn't have the same depth that the various 3.75 lines would. I kind of feel like they're trying to move both scales back to that type of approach. Just a few handfuls of collector items a year.

Reaction score
Haven't Lucasfilm/Disney officially named some eras something similar? They could go with that as well. It would probably please Darth Disney.

I think I picked those three terms up from Marvel's "Age of Republic", "Age of Rebellion", and "Age of Resistance" one-shots and specials from a few years ago. But you could just as easily do "heroes", "villains", and "scum and villainy", or something.

Reaction score
I think I picked those three terms up from Marvel's "Age of Republic", "Age of Rebellion", and "Age of Resistance" one-shots and specials from a few years ago. But you could just as easily do "heroes", "villains", and "scum and villainy", or something.

What I meant was that I think they renamed the eras in support of the new shows and trilogy.
Didn't they also change that it's not BBY ABY etc. any longer?