Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

GNT

Reaction score
Release - February 12, 2021

By December 2018, Marvel was "fast-tracking" development on a Shang-Chi film, which would be their first Asian-led film. Chinese-American writer David Callaham was hired to work on the screenplay, and by March 2019, Marvel hired Destin Daniel Cretton to direct the film. In June 2019, Guntis Sics, sound mixer on Thor: Ragnarok, revealed in an interview that the film will be shot in Australia. At the 2019 San Diego Comic Con, Simu Liu was revealed to be cast in the titular role, with Tony Leung Chiu-wai portraying the Mandarin. Awkwafina will also have a role in the film. Filming for Shang-Chi is set to begin in early 2020 in Australia

The one thing I'm excited about is seeing the real
Mandarin!

Reaction score
With you 100% of the way, the REAL Mandarin is the draw for me too. Because, clearly, with a subtitle like that...he's in it. I'd heard rumors around the beginnings of the year that Shang-Chi was coming and his father would be adapted into the Mandarin. See for years I thought the only way to really do the Shang-Chi character and have it succeed was put him on Netflix. He's just so obscure. Then I thought, he's so obscure he might not even be able to pull off his own show. So I think a role on Iron Fist made the most logical sense. Needless to say, when it was confirmed he's getting full fledged mainstream motion picture treatment, I thought it was a gutsy move. In essence, he's basically just Bruce Lee. But by adding the Mandarin, you now include a fantastical comic book element into the mix. Otherwise, it would just be a generic kung fu movie. It also finally delivers on the All Hail the King one-shot short film. For some time I thought them revealing there was a REAL Mandarin out there was just, well, no more than a quick apology for Iron Man 3 and that's it. I didn't think they actually intended to truly use him. I'm glad to say, I was wrong. It does, however, feel very bitter sweet that we're getting him...and he's completely unable to meet RDJ Iron Man. It feels almost criminal that we got them both, one of the greatest rivalries in Marvel comics, and they'll never go head to head. Too little, too late. But beggars can't be choosers, so I'm just grateful we're getting a proper Mandarin at all. The Trevor twist in Iron Man 3 is, to this day, my biggest issue in the MCU. I wanted to walk out! Especially when you watch the Mandarin terror videos and they're so ominously incredible, really bone-chillingly acted and written, for them to then make him a joke was disheartening. I'm also rather curious to see if Fin Fang Foom could potentially show up.

Last edited: