Shadow's display area, work in progress (05/09/10)

Reaction score
Shadow\'s display area, work in progress (05/09/10)

These are some images from my newest display area that I just set up in my home. This is the first of many such display cabinets that I am now planning and putting up to finally better organize the display of my collection.

A big shout of thanks to Mister_Gosh for his assistance with selecting the Ikea Besta line of display cabinets which I have now adopted with their Tombo glass doors.

Here is what I have completed so far.

Because of the highly reflective nature of the acrylic case and the glass doors of the display cabinet I'm getting a lot of reflections that are not easily compensated for with out draping the entire room in black for these photos. I also had to shoot these images with a wide angle lens because of the physical size of the cases, they are huge in scale and I couldn't get far enough back for the proper lens perspective in my room.

For perspective that Ikea Besta cabinet is 47 inches across.

This is the first of many display areas that I'm currently setting up during the recent lull in prop releases. I like mixing up the media which is what I plan to do with all of my SS and MR prop displays.

My latest display base from Stompin' Ground. Definitely purchasing more display bases from John as I setup my second set of cabinets.

*Update 6/13/2008*
These are some of the images from my "Phase 2" of building up my display cabinets. Most of these displays are still in transition as I wait for more of the multi-saber display bases that I'm having built by Stompin' Ground. In my "Phase 3" I will be adding another wall display cabinet as those shown; I still have a lot of items not shown still waiting for their displays while also building in room for planned additions. I'll be updating these images as I replace their display bases with the final items.

Here is another angle of my Besta cabinet displays. This is still a work in progress, not all of my items are in their final displays yet.

(Updated 6/13/2008) New display base for the saber and blaster.

(Updated 06/29/2008)

(Updated 07/19/2008)

Updated 12/22/2008:
Time to update again, many new items have arrived, here is the biggest so far.

R2 sentry duty, guard my collection!!

Updated 12/24/2008:

Here is the YouTube link to a 4 minute video I shot of my R2 to show the lights and sound function together.

(Updated 01/23/2009) Here are some updated pics of my newly corrected R2.

Updated 12/26/2008:

Here are my two examples of head swapping to make new characters.

Updated 01/17/2009:

Okay, here are my images of the Capt. Antilles 1:6 from Sideshow from my own collection.

Reaction score
Re: Shadow\'s display area, a work in progress

Very nice. Of all the mixed media displays, this one looks most like a museum exhibit. I thought these were pics from the Magic of Myth.

Great idea on the forest backdrop on the Scout Trooper!

Are you using Non Lighting or something else?

Keep up the good work!

Reaction score

Look's really good,well displayed and nice use of space.Is that a empty stand behind the BD Maul?I look forward to the progress as it unfolds.

Reaction score

about time you got your own thread

cant wait to see more

Reaction score

DarthInwah said:
Great idea on the forest backdrop on the Scout Trooper!

Are you using Non Lighting or something else?
For the forest backdrop I took some stock photography manipulated them in PSP 12 and output them to a digital large format plotter. Then the print is surface mounted to black foam core boards. I have some Hoth film images ready to do the same thing with my AT-AT v1 and am planning an ESB asteroid backdrop for my Falcon.

The lighting I'm using is the Ikea Grundtal. I looked at several options and decided these would work best for me. They are 10w quartz lamps with extremely low heat output. I tested them thoroughly by holding my hand for some time directly under them to check their heat output. I can touch the glass lens on their cases which gives an idea how low heat they are. They can be purchased in packs of three and combine six each to a single power distribution block/AC cord. They have individual automatic inline fuses on each light.

I have them mixed with one or two lights per shelf compartment depending on what I'm lighting.

Masterthc said:
Look's really good,well displayed and nice use of space.Is that a empty stand behind the BD Maul?I look forward to the progress as it unfolds.
My next sets of cabinets will be connected to the right of this set with the same width, but I will be going vertical in height with them. For this cabinet I needed a base for the Scout trooper.

The empty space behind the BD Maul is actually where I have my Full Size Maul LE which actually fits width wise without the acrylic covers. I'm currently trying to make contact with Kodofett to have one of his dual tier display bases custom made for my BD and full size Maul sabers with a narrower width, tentatively slated for that space. When I get my next set of display cabinets set up I'll probably move them to the new cabinet to display them together with my SS 1:6 Darth Maul. When I do that I'll just put another double tiered saber combination in that space or one of my Han ANH blasters. I'll display the other Han ANH blaster with SS 1:6 ANH Han to be released soon, again in the next phase of Besta cabinets.

I'll be updating this thread as the whole project progresses.

Reaction score

That display is gorgeous!

I'm diggin' that case for the SSC PF Biker Scout.

MORE PICS! MORE PICS!

Reaction score

Great looking display! I really love the forest background on the SS Biker! That is a truly impressive piece!

Reaction score

Wow...that's an absolutely amazing display, Shadow. The lighting, in particular, really enhances the aesthetic value of your collection.

Of course, the crown jewel has to be the SS PF Biker Scout. It's a thing of beauty.

Reaction score

That's an awesome display - the lighting really tops it off - beautiful!

Reaction score

Fantastic setup. I like the Besta cabinet. Very nice, the lighting and mixing the licenses up like that looks great.

Can't wait to see more.

Reaction score

i might have to look into the besta line at ikea

looks like a perfect fit for helmets and some SS PF statues

Reaction score

WOW!

I love the display! I really love the Sideshow Biker Scout! Great display! Thanks for sharing it!

Reaction score

DarthPotts1975 said:
about time you got your own thread

cant wait to see more
Amen!! Shadow, it looks amazing so far, and I cannot wait to see what else you have in store. I gotta check those cabintes out myself. Thank you for posting!

Reaction score

Great display, but your Biker Scout display takes the cake! Well done, Shadow!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Reaction score

Hedji said:
Great display, but your Biker Scout display takes the cake! Well done, Shadow!

Looking forward to seeing more!
Totally agree, quit amazing!

Reaction score

DarthInwah said:
Very nice. Of all the mixed media displays, this one looks most like a museum exhibit.
I agree, very nice diplay of all types of items. It works very well. This is something that seems hard to pull off but you've done it.

Reaction score

Excellent looking collection. I love the display

Reaction score

Love it!

Reaction score

Really like your collection and display...the background for the SS biker scout is a great idea

Reaction score

Damn Shadow!!! That display looks AMAZING!!! I love the background on the PF Biker Scout ( I may have to adapt that
) The lighting in your cabinetry really adds to the focal point of the viewing space. Thanks for sharing! That's 2

Reaction score

Boba_Fett_9969 said:
I love the background on the PF Biker Scout ( I may have to adapt that
)
Thanks for the many kind words everyone!!

That is why I shared the images online; we all help and bounce ideas off of each other and I also thank those who have shared with me.

As said this is a work in progress with more display cabinets built-up next to this one being planned in phases over the next couple of months, (I have a ton of items still needing to be displayed properly; this is literally the tip of the iceberg.)

My Sideshow 1:1 R2 will be displayed just in front and to the left of the cabinet now being displayed come September. Between now and then I need to get the rest of my items into their respective cabinets to the right of this one.

Reaction score

Shadow, as your sig indicates, you've been collecting since 77. Will we see some vintage stuff in your collection as well?

Reaction score

Hedji said:
Shadow, as your sig indicates, you've been collecting since 77. Will we see some vintage stuff in your collection as well?
I have a ton of original advertising materials, all of the US theater one sheets for the entire saga as originals, the press books and press kits from the OT, original OT lobby cards and lobby sets, all of the original SW comics, vintage magazine articles and original Bantha Tracks, signed novels and other licensed books from the OT, original film crew patches, and a lot of other vintage SW merchandise, (most from the OT), that does not fall under props.

I have over 30 years of stuff that I've accumulated that could easily go into a SW museum.

Reaction score

Sounds like some really nice stuff. You should frame em all up and display them. Our own bobodohn could give you some pointers.

Reaction score

As others have said, you have a fantastically displayed collection Shadow!
I like the themes that each shelf has... and plus the lighting is great! Love it!

Reaction score

Shadow said:
A big shout of thanks to Mister_Gosh for his assistance with selecting the Ikea Besta line of display cabinets which I have now adopted with their Tombo glass doors.
It's great to see displays like this and helps me get re-energized about collecting SW and especially displaying it properly. Can't wait to see what other stuff you've got to display.

Mister_Gosh also has an awesome collection and setup. It was his display that inspired me to get the AT-AT SE and into MR collecting.

Reaction score

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before now. That's a fine looking setup there. Good lighting and the Tombo doors look *really* nice. Nice enough that I suddenly have the urge to head down to Ikea again. I don't have shelves at the middle position on my Bestas, but I might change that up now that I've seen the Tombos in use.

I love what you're doing with the mixture of product lines. Really great presentation there.

What length lens did you use to shoot?

Reaction score

Mister_Gosh said:
I can't believe I didn't see this thread before now. That's a fine looking setup there. Good lighting and the Tombo doors look *really* nice. Nice enough that I suddenly have the urge to head down to Ikea again. I don't have shelves at the middle position on my Bestas, but I might change that up now that I've seen the Tombos in use.

I love what you're doing with the mixture of product lines. Really great presentation there.
Thanks!! I have you to thank for the awesome review you did online on the Besta units which is what got me started looking at them. Now that they have the Tombo glass doors for them I'm centering the majority of my displays on them as the best way to display what I want to see.

I'm in the planning stages now for my next trip to Ikea in a couple of weeks for more Besta units. I'm having some more custom display bases made by Kodofett to fit into my current planned displays by grouping specific items together; the first a customized Darth Maul dual saber display should be ready at the end of this month. That will go well with my SS Darth Maul and Qui-Gon 1:6, (and TPM Obi-Wan when released by SS).

I'm trying to plan my displays around what I currently have and anticipated future releases I'm expecting from Sideshow and eFX at some point.

Mister_Gosh said:
What length lens did you use to shoot?
The digital camera I'm using is a Sony DSC-15, which has an optical 36 – 432mm zoom lens (35mm equivalent). For the images of the overall case I've posted so far I'm usually in the 36mm wide angle range because of the working distance I have in the room.

I usually prefer a slightly tele for product still life for proper perspective and to control fore-shortening; 100 – 135mm with 35mm (or 210mm with my 4x5 view camera.)

Reaction score

Shadow said:
I have a ton of original advertising materials, all of the US theater one sheets for the entire saga as originals, the press books and press kits from the OT, original OT lobby cards and lobby sets, all of the original SW comics, vintage magazine articles and original Bantha Tracks, signed novels and other licensed books from the OT, original film crew patches, and a lot of other vintage SW merchandise, (most from the OT), that does not fall under props.
Wonderful! any plans to display some of this unusual OT goodness? love to see some pix.

Reaction score

This upcoming weekend I'll break out some of the unusual items that I have and get some shots posted. Some of the pieces I was able to get from LucasFilm direct from the old Star Wars Fanclub in the late 70's – early 80's. Others I purchased from vendors at cons and some of the LA based poster dealers I knew personally.

Reaction score

i'm looking forward to seeing some of your more rare stuff.

Reaction score

Good - looking forward to the pix.

One of the (few) benefits of the prop lull is people are getting time (and
money) to revamp displays - we all benefit when the old is made new and shared.

Reaction score

yodasan said:
Good - looking forward to the pix.
Here are a few more of the non-prop items that I have in my collection among many others I have in storage.

Top row are authentic Film Crew patches from LucasFilm direct. Bottom row are vintage from the Official Star Wars Fan Club.

These are the authentic press books for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. What these booklets contain are all of the camera ready art for all of the various theater ads that can be used to advertise the films.

This is the original press kit for Empire, this is the shot of the cover and inside.

This is one of my rarer printed advertising materials for the ESB, it was used to market the film distribution to the major theater chains management.
This is the front and back covers.

This is the inside first fold out.

This is the full inside fold out.

This is the front and back of the advanced studio screening for ESB.

The original Star Wars Theater program sold at the opening theaters for Star Wars in 1977.

This is one of the most unique and rare items that I have from LucasFilm direct. This was part of a very elaborate direct advertising campaign to the major theater distribution chains to promote the showing of ESB. This is packaged like a Chinese puzzle with many layers to peel back to get to the inside.

This is the outer packaging with a large black on black silk screened Vader on the left.

Once you open the heavy outside cover you find an inside cover with this heavy solid lead Vader sealing the next layer.

Inside this inner layer is the next layer which contains this embossed Vader on it's outside.

Opening this layer reveals this on the inside flap.

When this is finally fully opened you find two large Ralph McQuarrie concept art prints to promote the upcoming film.

Reaction score

some great stuff there shadow

thanks for sharing

Reaction score

VERY nice! Love the Empire foldout with the duel scene pic.

I too picked up the Black Falcon McQuarrie kit. I won it on eBay last year for about $20! I agree, it is a most unusual and fun piece.

Reaction score

Indeed it was. You have some beautiful pieces there, Shadow. I love the early promotional stuff.

Reaction score

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for sharing some pics of those vintage items.