QUESTION Sending in figures to AFA

Reaction score
I have never sent anything in to be graded. I recently acquired a couple nice carded figures that I think will get a decent grade. My question is, is it a pain in the butt to send stuff in to be graded, or is it a relatively easy process?

Reaction score
There submission forms and website are straight out of 1998. On the other hand even if you botch the submission forms they are pretty helpful in getting you what you need. Hopefully you are patient because it.....takes......for.....ever..... I sent a coin in January and got it back in August. But that had a lot to do with that bug thats going around...

Reaction score
I hope it is OK if I reference both AFA and CAS (since both are said to be close in terms of grading standards). Because in the end it comes down to a faster service (AFA) or a slower service that is easier to submit to and includes free add-ons (CAS).

AFA (Pro): $110 (A-S-A) gets you a 7-10 day (unless a delay pops up) turn around and their Archival upgrade.
AFA (Con): Pretty much they have to update everything, and they are pretty much a bare bones service.

CAS (Pro): $62.49 (with Museum upgrade), a solid 30-40 day turnaround. easy submission, and they also give you a few freebies.
CAS (Con): $100 to include their 7 day turnaround, might experience upward to +20 days if there are delays.

My biggest complaint about AFA is that they have never updated their website. As we speak the only working option is their order form. Plus they have become a 'bare bones' service that still charges quite a bit if you need any of their remaining options.

As for the Archival/Museum upgrade, I always recommend this. It is a bit more but it helps reduce maintenance down to both the acrylic and humidity/temperature control. Other than that you don't have to worry about indirect sunlight while displaying them.

In the end the AFA submission form is a lot of work. Not hard to figure out in your case, but rather a lot of printing and such.

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend grading a MOC unless you think it'll get an 80 or better and even then only a "key" figure /cardback combination.

Reaction score
I think both of these will get a 80. Even though I'm no expert on grading, I have been comparing mine with ones on Ebay.

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend grading a MOC unless you think it'll get an 80 or better and even then only a "key" figure /cardback combination.
Would you consider a 12 back C Ben Kenobi and r2 a good figure/cardback combination?

Reaction score
I have never sent anything in to be graded. I recently acquired a couple nice carded figures that I think will get a decent grade. My question is, is it a pain in the butt to send stuff in to be graded, or is it a relatively easy process?
It does take some time the first time to fill out the paper work, as it can feel overwhelming. However, its worth the effort, AFA grading is addicting, trust me!

Reaction score
It does take some time the first time to fill out the paper work, as it can feel overwhelming. However, its worth the effort, AFA grading is addicting, trust me!
I was wondering if that would be something that would be exciting or addictive as you said. Wondering and waiting for the figures to come back to see what grade they got. Then searching for new figures to send in. I may have started down a dark path 😁

Reaction score
I was wondering if that would be something that would be exciting or addictive as you said. Wondering and waiting for the figures to come back to see what grade they got. Then searching for new figures to send in. I may have started down a dark path 😁
Yup, that exactly what happens lol and as you start to get them graded, seeing in their nice acrylic cases, once you start with AFA grading, you stick with it, at least thats me.

let us know how it goes!