Selling out en mass

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering selling out. The thrill of the chase has left me as I have almost anything and everything I’ve ever wanted collection wise. The idea of liquidation is overwhelming though. I know selling here is better than eBay. I realize there are Facebook groups. (I’m not on any socials) My question is, do you think there is anyone out there or a way to move a large collection all at once? I have an entire 96 plus carded run. An entire loose run, an entire Afa 85 run. About 2/3 of all misb vehicles. Lots of variants, vinyl Jawa, DT luke, lili ledy, a bunch of proof cards, early bird items, all mailers and more I can’t even think of right now. Not to mention about 1,000 carded modern figures including the entire run of the vintage collection. Any thoughts or input?

(and before the grammar nazis come for me, I realize it’s “en masse”, it’s an unchangeable typo)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m seriously considering selling out. The thrill of the chase has left me as I have almost anything and everything I’ve ever wanted collection wise. The idea of liquidation is overwhelming though. I know selling here is better than eBay. I realize there are Facebook groups. (I’m not on any socials) My question is, do you think there is anyone out there or a way to move a large collection all at once? I have an entire 96 plus carded run. An entire loose run, an entire Afa 85 run. About 2/3 of all misb vehicles. Lots of variants, vinyl Jawa, DT luke, lili ledy, a bunch of proof cards, early bird items, all mailers and more I can’t even think of right now. Not to mention about 1,000 carded modern figures including the entire run of the vintage collection. Any thoughts or input?

(and before the grammar nazis come for me, I realize it’s “en masse”, it’s an unchangeable typo)
I dunno about selling it as one huge collection without taking a real bath on it.
I'd say bust it up into sub collections. Like sell the carded run, the loose run, the afa run, etc.
If there's a shop you trust you could do a consignment deal if you can get it structured right.

Reaction score
Break it up.

Typically the person that would buy the vintage would not be interested in the modern.

I cashed out all of my modern a few years ago. Found one guy through some eBay sales that took most of it.

Reaction score
I agree break it up. I have changed focus a bit this year and sold some of my carded and they sold quick. Let me ask you this. Do you have a place to store it for awhile out of sight? It might help you to make a decision about keeping it or selling.

Reaction score
You may want to wait seeing how money is beginning to dry up for some people. Timing is everything. I might part with the loose and hold the carded. We all know buying lots are to our buyers benefit however, selling might want to separate them for better profits

Good luck. If you part them out, I wouldn't mind talking about the DT Luke

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a few pieces I am looking for still. So are others. You could make more money on the long run breaking it up and selling here. Because selling friends and family will save you ebay fees and taxes.

Reaction score
Don't do it. If you do, at least keep a handful, like 20 essential figures. I've massively sized down over the years, but there are a few figures I wouldn't part with.

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the input. I’m getting closer to early retirement and selling out would get me closer to the finish line. I’m really torn between keeping it going or not. I also know what an absolute burden this would be to dump on my family if something were to happen to me. I guess as I’m getting older my own mortality is weighing on me pretty heavily. I’ve thought about contacting a local museum to see if they would be interested in hosting an exhibit with my collection for me to say goodbye to it and share it with others before it gets broken up and redistributed to my fellow collectors.

Reaction score
You’ve got to decide what is more important, time or money. Selling everything at once will be quick, but it will cost you $ since people will not pay full rate if they are getting a bunch of stuff they don’t care as much about. Selling piecemeal will get you the highest yield, but will take longer.

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the input. I’m getting closer to early retirement and selling out would get me closer to the finish line. I’m really torn between keeping it going or not. I also know what an absolute burden this would be to dump on my family if something were to happen to me. I guess as I’m getting older my own mortality is weighing on me pretty heavily. I’ve thought about contacting a local museum to see if they would be interested in hosting an exhibit with my collection for me to say goodbye to it and share it with others before it gets broken up and redistributed to my fellow collectors.
I can understand selling out. However might I suggest you take a lot of pics of your collection for the memories and maybe keep one signficant MOC? I think if I ever sold out I would probably keep my first MOC. I bought about 6 at once the first time I ever bought MOC's and one of them was a beautiful 21 Back Luke X wing fighter. I honestly think I could sell everything and not be too heart broken but that one piece I will want to keep forever.

Reaction score
I can understand selling out. However might I suggest you take a lot of pics of your collection for the memories and maybe keep one signficant MOC? I think if I ever sold out I would probably keep my first MOC. I bought about 6 at once the first time I ever bought MOC's and one of them was a beautiful 21 Back Luke X wing fighter. I honestly think I could sell everything and not be too heart broken but that one piece I will want to keep forever.

Agreed. Be careful of seller's remorse. :(

Reaction score
I've sold in the past and regretted it. Selling because you're over it and you want to move on, or it sat in boxes unseen for years is one thing.
Selling to reach financial goals quicker is probably something you will later on regret.

Downsizing can be a nicer, easier way to possibly reach both sides of the coin. You'll gain some financial rewards and also maintain some of your more cherished pieces or a smaller collection that still brings joy

Reaction score
It would definitely have to be broken up into two lots for sure….vintage and modern as it would make it really tough to find someone who wants both. You sell it yourself, and your listing, taking pictures , packing, shipping, etc etc what is probably at least 500 different items if not more. If you find somebody that is willing to drive, pick it all up and give you 75-80 percent of fair market value for it all in one shot, pay in cash and I think you’d be doing pretty good. BTW I just looked and its only a 14 hour drive from Toronto to Omaha, perhaps keep me in mind. :)

Jim

Reaction score

1- before you sell, try a cooling off period of sorts.
2- during this period, you may re-think and while you may sell stuff, you may end up keeping a handful of items
3- break everything down, IMHO.

I sold off a ton of stuff many years back, all AFA items, one by one. I got cold feet with the whole thing in regards to tape seals coming undone, plastic melting, etc etc.

so i kept a few proof cards, a few AFA rare and high grade Q items and a few AFA graded items that dont come up too often. You know what, I feel good because it helped me really appreciate the hobby.

Reaction score
I’m not in the same boat as you as I’m not thinking to sell out totally but I have been downsizing everything I own quite a bit over the past decade. I have family like you and I hate that a lot of these toys feel like a burden the more busier life gets. The more I sell, I see it more because of the work selling entails.
I believe in balance in life so the best thing to do is balance out your collection. I promise once you start moving certain less desired things, you will realize you don’t miss them. But, you are a collector at heart so you must keep somethings. The big thing collectors go crazy with is the “collection or complete set” the modern Star Wars collections do not work well trying to obtain this and the rewards from it are usually fruitless. Reason being is the line isn’t done and one never knows what Hasbro will do. You have to deal with price hikes, exclusives, and all the other BS I don’t have to explain.
Vintage has been done for decades so one know what to collect and most of all complete.

So step 1, get rid of all your modern first. Always modern before vintage. Always. You will enjoy the profits of you always bought at retail and you will start to get crafty trying to move those other figures nobody wants.

step 1a, always sell stuff single instead of lot. More worn but always More profit. Sell as a lot when you are desperate.

step 1b, keep track of all your sales minus fees and such. Open another bank account that just has your sales money in it. Don’t put all the money with your savings or checking, you’ll never see the profits from this entire project if they are all mixed in with everyday expenses

when you get rid of modern, move onto vintage. My theory is, sell off the less desirable things of the collection and keep your “goats” which are the household names. Lobot is not a goat, Darth Vader is. If everyone stopped collecting today and then got interested again in 3-5 years, the first thing they will buy is one of the goats and not Lobot. Darth Vader will also continue to rise in value before Lobot would.
So you keep working that theory and seriously study how the market has been so you know what to sell and what to keep. Basically you are going to end up with the household names and a set of loose figures because everybody who loves Star Wars toys all started out with the lose figures.

why do you keep the goats and not sell them right away? Because if you are gonna move on from collecting, you wouldn’t be a collector anymore. you want to get rid of the lower tiers of characters and other crap (which you will make good money on trust me) and keep like 25% of the really good stuff that continues to gain value which makes you now an investor. Worried about the burden on your family? It’s gone. You just leave them specific instructions on how to handle and sell off those toys you are investing in and they will know what to do without getting anxiety from a huge basement of boxes and showcases.

plus you still have something to look at every now and then.

you never ever, ever sell off your biggest and most valued items first leaving you with tons of garbage compared to what you just sold. You do the reverse and sell the garbage and keep the best stuff. You should only do that in an emergency situation where you need cash quick .

Reaction score
Contact Action Figure Grader on YouTube and he can put you in touch with the right people. He is a good guy and has helped out many collectors sell their collections.

Reaction score
I’m not in the same boat as you as I’m not thinking to sell out totally but I have been downsizing everything I own quite a bit over the past decade. I have family like you and I hate that a lot of these toys feel like a burden the more busier life gets. The more I sell, I see it more because of the work selling entails.
I believe in balance in life so the best thing to do is balance out your collection. I promise once you start moving certain less desired things, you will realize you don’t miss them. But, you are a collector at heart so you must keep somethings. The big thing collectors go crazy with is the “collection or complete set” the modern Star Wars collections do not work well trying to obtain this and the rewards from it are usually fruitless. Reason being is the line isn’t done and one never knows what Hasbro will do. You have to deal with price hikes, exclusives, and all the other BS I don’t have to explain.
Vintage has been done for decades so one know what to collect and most of all complete.

So step 1, get rid of all your modern first. Always modern before vintage. Always. You will enjoy the profits of you always bought at retail and you will start to get crafty trying to move those other figures nobody wants.

step 1a, always sell stuff single instead of lot. More worn but always More profit. Sell as a lot when you are desperate.

step 1b, keep track of all your sales minus fees and such. Open another bank account that just has your sales money in it. Don’t put all the money with your savings or checking, you’ll never see the profits from this entire project if they are all mixed in with everyday expenses

when you get rid of modern, move onto vintage. My theory is, sell off the less desirable things of the collection and keep your “goats” which are the household names. Lobot is not a goat, Darth Vader is. If everyone stopped collecting today and then got interested again in 3-5 years, the first thing they will buy is one of the goats and not Lobot. Darth Vader will also continue to rise in value before Lobot would.
So you keep working that theory and seriously study how the market has been so you know what to sell and what to keep. Basically you are going to end up with the household names and a set of loose figures because everybody who loves Star Wars toys all started out with the lose figures.

why do you keep the goats and not sell them right away? Because if you are gonna move on from collecting, you wouldn’t be a collector anymore. you want to get rid of the lower tiers of characters and other crap (which you will make good money on trust me) and keep like 25% of the really good stuff that continues to gain value which makes you now an investor. Worried about the burden on your family? It’s gone. You just leave them specific instructions on how to handle and sell off those toys you are investing in and they will know what to do without getting anxiety from a huge basement of boxes and showcases.

plus you still have something to look at every now and then.

you never ever, ever sell off your biggest and most valued items first leaving you with tons of garbage compared to what you just sold. You do the reverse and sell the garbage and keep the best stuff. You should only do that in an emergency situation where you need cash quick .
Good advice. Lotta hate for my man lobot, lotta hate…😂🤣

Reaction score
I guess i did.and am?
But if I was selling and looking for a balance between ease of sale (trustworthy folks that buy fast) and max profit (why let Uncle Sam in on your sale) selling here if you are going that route is a great idea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It sounds like you have what could be a million dollar collection. It definitely would take some work, but breaking it up could lead to HUGE returns. Dumping it quickly might be convenient but also kind of wasteful, because you might be leaving tens of thousands of dollars on the table. It’s one of the best collections I’ve ever heard anyone report.

Reaction score
It sounds like you have what could be a million dollar collection. It definitely would take some work, but breaking it up could lead to HUGE returns. Dumping it quickly might be convenient but also kind of wasteful, because you might be leaving tens of thousands of dollars on the table. It’s one of the best collections I’ve ever heard anyone report.

Hence my earlier comment, HOLY CRAP! :)

This collection sounds like something Sansweet would have.

Reaction score
If the collection is what you say it is and you just want it gone (like ripping off the band aid) then choose a number you think it's worth... then choose a number you would take for it ... then cut that number to the bare minimum and see if there are any takers at that middle price realizing that you'll probably have to take less than you want.

Be aware that if the collection is worth a million, you can expect less than half of that if sold quickly. There are so few people that can do that, that I would recommend what others are saying and sell by the completed runs and then just sell the rest in a lot. That will get you closer to what you actually want for the total.

And E-bay will take huge fees so I would avoid that.

Reaction score
I’ll post some pics this week. I highly doubt it’s a million dollar collection. I think that would be some pretty thick rose colored glasses.

Reaction score
Lol....all big collections are at least a million dollars 😃 I’d be interested in some of your proofs possibly? Sounds like you have some great stuff!List here first and people will ask if you have this or that and it keeps going. Good luck,K

Reaction score
I seriously downsized a while back. I started my modern, carded, then MIB and MISBitems, and some proofs. It felt great to downsize and get my collection down to the just items that I love. I also feel that my family won’t be as burdened if something were to happen to me.

My motivation was different, I wanted to purchase a few grail preproduction items that I couldn’t afford, but the process I used worked well. I sold a lot on the FB group DOND (helped get close to market prices without fees). I also sold a bit here and a bit on eBay. I also sold larger items to local collectors and on CL. Another option might be Hakes or a similar auction. Prices are still up, so it may not be a bad time to sell.

I’d consider keeping your favorites or super rare items, as once they are gone they are gone forever. Also, I’d consider any items that your family members might feel an attachment to. Take your time and you should do well. Best of luck!

Reaction score
People may not realize just how high stuff is going for right now, even modern (especially modern). But y’all are right—a million is a lot. It would be a fun and fascinating task to try to determine its total value, piece by piece. It does add up pretty quickly!

Reaction score
I seriously downsized a while back. I started my modern, carded, then MIB and MISBitems, and some proofs. It felt great to downsize and get my collection down to the just items that I love. I also feel that my family won’t be as burdened if something were to happen to me.

My motivation was different, I wanted to purchase a few grail preproduction items that I couldn’t afford, but the process I used worked well. I sold a lot on the FB group DOND (helped get close to market prices without fees). I also sold a bit here and a bit on eBay. I also sold larger items to local collectors and on CL. Another option might be Hakes or a similar auction. Prices are still up, so it may not be a bad time to sell.

I’d consider keeping your favorites or super rare items, as once they are gone they are gone forever. Also, I’d consider any items that your family members might feel an attachment to. Take your time and you should do well. Best of luck!
Doing pretty much the same myself..and for the same reasons. I started by selling the pieces I was least attached to and then took it from there..

Reaction score

Wow, you aren't messing around.

My advice...ditch the modern stuff, sell the boxed vehicles, sell the prototype stuff, sell the trailer reel and other things that don't display well.

I did two purges. One around 2009, the other around 2012. Modern and vintage stuff. Sold all of my Kenner Indiana Jones stuff, as well.

I narrowed it way down to my childhood Kenner stuff and the Early Bird Set, Sears cantina, Mail Away Fett and the carded 1978-1979 figures that I bought from my brother in the late 1980s. Oh, and the carded POTF figures that came from one of Gary Kurtz's early sales. My modern stuff consists of some Fett/bounty hunter figures, a BMF, Amazon Slave I, Target Landspeeder, POTF Skyhopper, and a few figures displayed around them.

Almost everything fits in a display case built into one corner of the "Man Room." (the lower level of our house) It used to fill two spare bedrooms at my previous house.

I lost a lot of $ on the modern stuff, but who cares. it was never about the money.

Reaction score
The idea of liquidation is overwhelming though.
Then don't. Seriously. Move slowly and act with deliberation.

I know selling here is better than eBay. I realize there are Facebook groups. (I’m not on any socials) My question is, do you think there is anyone out there or a way to move a large collection all at once? I have an entire 96 plus carded run. An entire loose run, an entire Afa 85 run. About 2/3 of all misb vehicles. Lots of variants, vinyl Jawa, DT luke, lili ledy, a bunch of proof cards, early bird items, all mailers and more I can’t even think of right now. Not to mention about 1,000 carded modern figures including the entire run of the vintage collection. Any thoughts or input?
Whadd'ya got for Kenner Micro Collection?

You pretty much have to break this up. Or, sell if for around 25% of it's total value, to someone who, I guarantee, will be breaking this up to sell it at a profit after keeping a handful of your best items to add to their collection.

When you say 2/3 of all MISB vehicles what does that mean exactly? Does it mean only 2/3 of all vehicle sculpts does it mean far more than 2/3 of the actual vehicles with the duplicates covering about 2/3 of the logo variants?

Too bad it wasn't supposed to be "in Mass" and then I'd drive over to look at it.

Reaction score
nice collection, if you do decide to sell off in blocks I would be interested in some of the Anakin offer carded figures, good luck either way

Reaction score
You don't have to be in a hurry. I'd sell off a few pieces, reevaluate and then continue on little by little. Doesn't have to be a liquidation sale.