SEE UPDATE THREAD! Scheduling for Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We are not yet scheduling shifts. Please do not email me your preferences for shifts yet. I try to wait as late as possible to schedule shifts so that you can pick and choose what you want to do at the convention. Since there is only a partial schedule from Gen Con so far none of us have the information that we need to schedule shifts. I expect to start in April at which time you will receive an email from me with the details.

Thanks! -Anne

Reaction score
Re: Scheduling for Shifts

I'll work any shift! I'm just happy to be there! I even took vacation time off from my job so I'm available for whenever there is work needed.

Reaction score

Hi Anne,
Do you need any help before May 23rd? I arrive in LA on May 18th and could help out if you need me earlier. "What A Blast We Are Going To Have!"

Reaction score

Hey, thanks for the offer to work before the convention, in fact many have offered and I thank you all. However, I we have enough people for set-up & break-down. If I need anyone, I have your phone#'s handy! Ha! Ha!!!

Reaction score

Some people have asked how the scheduling works. In April sometime I'll send an email to everyone asking you to put the shifts in order of your preference. I'll also want to know the names of your friends and family that you want to work with. I'll take that information along with the duties that you chose when you filled out the volunteer form and through some miracle get everyone assigned to a slot. I'll then email you your final schedule. There are always changes and what not, but basically at that point you'll have your schedule committed.

Reaction score
Re: Scheduling for Shifts to start in April

Well this time I intend on working at least one shift per day... especially the last shift on Monday. Because at C3 I had cancelled that very last shift to attend something else (that I didn't go to anyway) and ended up in the autograph hall helping a few guests pack up their stuff.

Reaction score

I added all the known shifts to my Outlook Calendar. That way as the rest of the schedule is know/finalized, I can plan my activities better and prevent conflicts.

Reaction score

Anne, I know time will work alot of these questions out. But your saying that you will provide us shift scheduling in April. Well, has anyone given thought about the way the pre-purchase of Guest of Honors is going to be handled. What I mean is: Say I tell you I want to work the first shift every day...and pre-purchase a Carrie Fisher coupon. I wont know till I get there and pick up the ticket what time my bracelet says I have to go get her autograph. So what happens if Im one of the first ones in line for her on Fri...will we be able to get a floater to cover a small break or will we have to give up working for OPX for that shift?
I think that it is not too much to ask the GOH that knows there is going to be long lines for them, and that we have a job to do to make everything better flowing for them, that OPX tries to set up maybe 2- random 1 hours sessions for the workers to have a chance to get the autographs that they paid for without having to be tied up in line with everyone else and causing more headache then need be. BUT!! if the GOH are willing to set aside 1 hour for this that those 300 volunteers will have to be willing to line up, get their autograph, and move on...not try to hang out and chat with them. Be respectful and move along for the next person so everyone is happy and doesnt have to waste alot of time.

Reaction score

Yes - another person with a GOH coupon concern - hopefully we'll be able to work it out.

Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, I'm volunteering with GenCon through the 501st, as well as with OPX. Since they haven't put out their schedule, how would you recommend I pick hours with you so I don't end up trying to be at two places at once? If there is a conflict, how much flexability is there to trade shifts?

Reaction score

As far as the GOH coupons, those people that end up with conflicts, just tell me at the convention and we'll work it out then. There are two many variables here to make a hard and fast rule. I handle on a case by case basis.

Reaction score

As far as those working for other orgs besides OPX. Well, I really can't help you make decisions on who to wait for and such. There will be flexibility in scheduling until quite late, but at some point in May I will have to put nails in and make exceptions on a case by case.

Reaction score

My schedule has changed since I first entered in the online volunteer form. I'll be leaving early Sunday morning instead of late Monday afternoon. Should I fill out the volunteer form again, or just wait for you to ask us for our preferred shifts? Thanks Anne!

Reaction score

Just wait. That's why I try to delay scheduling as much as possible. I know things change a lot until the very end.

Reaction score

hello anne,
i wa wondering you mentioned an orientation what day is that going to be scheduled for. i arrive on tuesday.

Reaction score

There is no orientation day at this moment. Probably won't be, but you never know!

Reaction score

I'm in the same boat as pertaining to having a coupon to get Carrie Fisher's autograph. I've been waiting 30 years to meet her! lol

I'm really looking forward to volunteering too... it should be quite the experience. This is my second Celebration, and I found the first one a little overwhelming. This time I'm going to enjoy myself and take in as much stuff as I can!

Reaction score

Got a coupon too - but for a friend who won't be attending!

As for orientation - honestly, if you can take basic directions, show up on time and with a smile, you'll be fine.

Reaction score

Just wanted to give y'all a heads up that I think we'll start scheduling either the week of April 23rd or April 30th. Certainly Gen Con will have got the schedule together by then.

Also, as of today, our volunteer quota is filled. As always, though, I expect that number to move up and down as situations present themselves. If, at any time, you feel you can't be a volunteer anymore just let me know and I'll email some more recruits. However, on a date yet to be determined, there will be a point of no return and I will expect you to fullfill your schedule.

And I'll tell you now that I think you all are the cream of the crop. Every interaction I've had with any one of you has been positive and polite - exactly what we need to rock the autograph hall!!! Yeeee HAW!

Reaction score

Awesome! I will be checking my email for the notice from you about choosing our shifts. I'm so excited about being able to help out with this. Thanks for the opportunity!

Reaction score

I agree, this is going to be a blast and it has not even started.

Reaction score

This is exciting stuff! We're all going to have such a great time!!

Reaction score

Anne said:
Also, as of today, our volunteer quota is filled.
Awww, man!!! I really hope my best friend got an acceptance email. He just found out about volunteering last week and signed up. We haven't seen each other in a long time and were looking forward to volunteering together.

Reaction score

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to getting the schedule at the end of April, so everyone knows what to do.
Any chance to get it earlier?

Thanks Anne!

Reaction score

I just posted a topic on how the scheduling will work, so check it out!

Reaction score
Re: Scheduling for Shifts to start in late April

Anne said:
We are not yet scheduling shifts. Please do not email me your preferences for shifts yet. I try to wait as late as possible to schedule shifts so that you can pick and choose what you want to do at the convention. Since there is only a partial schedule from Gen Con so far none of us have the information that we need to schedule shifts. I expect to start in April at which time you will receive an email from me with the details.

Thanks! -Anne
will you also send us the gen con schedule with our shift selection email or will that be posted somewhere?

Reaction score

Anne said:
Certainly Gen Con will have got the schedule together by then.
I am not sure if I agree with you. They didn't seem to have their act together at C3 so I don't expect much from them. Maybe OPX can give them lessons on how to run an event.

Reaction score

Anne said:
Also, as of today, our volunteer quota is filled. As always, though, I expect that number to move up and down as situations present themselves.
Anne, I have to tell you. I have been to every single celebration to date. I am about ready to explode with excitement for this one! I hope you dont get a call from my wife and tell you I had a heart attack and cant attend....LOL I would hate to me a minus sign instead of a plus on your list...LOL

Reaction score

so we'll need to look for the Celebration IV Calendar of Events on the starwars.com website then... I hope they get it up and we have enough time to sort out what we want to see before we get our shift email!! Everyone's getting so excited! This is going to be great!!

Reaction score

Luckily for me, I have my husband and a niece that will be able to take care of many things for me while I am volunteering!

Reaction score

Not sure if this goes here, so I apologize if it doesn't. If we initially sign up for two shifts, can we sign up for more shifts after the event has started? I'm thinking in case I find that I have more free time on my hands than I planned for I would like to make that free time somewhat productive, if you follow me.

Reaction score

You think it was too late to volunteer my son today even though you have enough volunteers? His friend will be flying out of LA earlier then expected and I feel bad that he might be alone while I volunteer. Or I could select to volunteer an earlier shift in the week. We don't have to be together while volunteering. I was just hopeing he'd have something to do while I volunteer. What say you?

Reaction score

Anne, thanks for all of your hard work thus far. Coordinating 300 volunteers in addition to your normal job duties must not be easy...are you chained to your desk as we speak!? You go work and we'll all sit patiently and wait for our schedules like good Padawans.

Reaction score

Omega27 said:
If we initially sign up for two shifts, can we sign up for more shifts after the event has started?
If we have shifts available then absolutely. I'm complete computerized so it will be easy to do.

Reaction score

EAGLESEVENTEEN said:
You think it was too late to volunteer my son today even though you have enough volunteers?
Is he old enough? Go ahead and have him fill out the application at http://www.OfficialPixVolunteers.com and email me his name and I'll see what I can do.

Reaction score

Dustin said:
If you only knew ;-)
You got that right. I don't know what I was thinking. :)

Reaction score

Anne has another job besides answering our 100's of questions and just making us a schedule for 1 weekend.???? who would have thunk-ed???

Status
Not open for further replies.