Sealed cases left on stock cart?

Reaction score
I had a bad experience a week ago. Some Target lady told me to not mess with the boxes. I found it on the floor next to the cart. It had fallen off. I picked it up and broke it open and didnt find anything I needed. I gave a few #41s to this lady shopping for her kid and then the target lady told me to never take the boxes and open them until product is on the shelve. I told her I found it on the floor and I was actually doing her a favor because when she caught me, it was when I was putting it back on the cart because there a lot on the pegs anyways. Third time this has happened to me. Im always nice about it too.

Reaction score
If it's on the floor, it's fair game. However, if you don't want to get yelled at, don't be an asshat and start pulling cases out from the bottom of the pallet or leave it a huge mess, as you just had to pull them all out and leave them strewn about on the floor. If someone's around, ask if you can, offer to help stock it, etc. If no one's around, just do it. Would they really be against making a sale? Isn't that what retail stores are there for? And yes, go for it even if it's a 24-hour Wal-Mart.

Reaction score
Some stores want every item price tagged before it hits the pegs so be sure that before you stock them up that they are priced if that is their store policy.

Reaction score
We asked a walmart employee once if they had new star wars stuff, he said "I don't know, go look in those boxes" and pointed to a stack of unopened boxes, none of them were SW, but he could care less what we did.

Reaction score
Ive gotten lucky and have begun talking to the lady that stocks the shelves at my local Walmart, she does it roughly the same time every night between 2-3am which is great for me as I work nights.
All I had to do is help her put stuff on the pegs one night from an open case.
Now all I do is walk in and ask her if any new figures have come in. Saves me the time digging thru all those damn Obi's.
And I will only open a fresh case there if I talk to her first.
Sometimes a little kindness pays off.
And a little hint, if any store employee gives you a hard time, get the name and badge number. Then when you get home, call corprate headquarters immediately and explain the situation. I have had more than one issue resolved this way.

Reaction score
I've been known to open cases in Wal-Marts a lot. They almost always have a pallet of stock sitting on the floor everytime I go in. I've never had a problem with employees usually because they are nowhere to be found.I have also never found anything that I wanted inside any case I've opened.

Reaction score
I'm of mixed feelings about this. I think if it's out, it should be fair game, but I know some stores have to scan the toys when they shelve them. If you're buying something that hasn't been properly inventoried, it can screw things up. I've got a buddy who works at TRU and they've got a system they have to follow for stocking everything. That being said, I think in most cases, especially at Walmart, the employees are just being jerks when they yell at people for opening stuff.

Reaction score
i just ask an employee. Not one has told me no. Just got back from walmart where i asked the employee to open a case for me and she did.

Reaction score
At a Wal-Mart that I used to go to every morning, the same lady was there stocking the toy aisles at the same time everyday. After a few mornings of hellos we started having small conversations. After about a month, she would ask me what I was looking for. If she thought she might have it, she'd go look for it. If she had a cart near by, she'd let me go through the cart and open whatever I wanted... even if she knew she wouldn't be able to stock it.

When the ROTS line came out, Abe Sapien and I hit a local Wal-Mart. The woman stocking knew she would be putting more out. She came right up to us and asked if we wanted to look through the cart she had. She figured that if she was going to put them out anyway, she might as well have less to put out. So she let us open them for her. We were both able to grab Clone Commanders and Explodo-Grevious on the first day, it was great. I wish more employees thought that way.

Reaction score
I have only had a few problems opening cases at stores, one just recently. I was looking for some 41's and found some at a Walmart on the way home from work(I work nights, so it was about 3 am). They had some at this Walmart so I bought a few(and left a few), and headed towards the Walmart by my house. They had sealed cases on the floor, and I have opened up cases at this store on numerous occassions, starting way back when POFT2 was still around. I asked back then if I could do it, and a manager said it was fine, if its out, its for sale.
Well, when I was at this second Walmart, I started to open a case and a women came running up, asking if she could help me. I told her no, I was just looking. She then asked me, and it was politely, to not open any cases, as these were going in their backroom. She said that their were plenty of figs on the shelves. Well, the shelves were full of 1-32, nothing else. At the time, I knew what the case # was for the Tarkin wave and it was sitting there on that pallet. I am sorry, I really don't understand this. It is a business to sell product, there was some that I wanted, but they wouldn't sell it to me. It doesn't make sense??! I probably would have bought about 6 or 7 figs, roughly a $35-$40 sale, but instead walked out with nothing. I will probably find them somewhere else, and they will have lost that sale(at least from me)

Reaction score
The only store that ever went out of their way to help was Fred Meyers. I was there about an hour till closing and asked the lady if they had any more in the back, that I'm looking for a spacific one. So she say to follow her we go to the back and she starts pulling out cases 4 in al, So we started opening them up to look for the figure I wanted. When I found what I wanted I said thanks, she said no problen, and I left.

Reaction score
coeli said:
I have only had a few problems opening cases at stores, one just recently. I was looking for some 41's and found some at a Walmart on the way home from work(I work nights, so it was about 3 am). They had some at this Walmart so I bought a few(and left a few), and headed towards the Walmart by my house. They had sealed cases on the floor, and I have opened up cases at this store on numerous occassions, starting way back when POFT2 was still around. I asked back then if I could do it, and a manager said it was fine, if its out, its for sale.
Well, when I was at this second Walmart, I started to open a case and a women came running up, asking if she could help me. I told her no, I was just looking. She then asked me, and it was politely, to not open any cases, as these were going in their backroom. She said that their were plenty of figs on the shelves. Well, the shelves were full of 1-32, nothing else. At the time, I knew what the case # was for the Tarkin wave and it was sitting there on that pallet. I am sorry, I really don't understand this. It is a business to sell product, there was some that I wanted, but they wouldn't sell it to me. It doesn't make sense??! I probably would have bought about 6 or 7 figs, roughly a $35-$40 sale, but instead walked out with nothing. I will probably find them somewhere else, and they will have lost that sale(at least from me)
Wow man that is one gay employee, and I bet if her manager found out about that she would be in big trouble. I haven't opened any boxes, but I still find what I'm looking for, besides that damn Red Guard. That guy continues to elude me. I'm not about to buy it on the internet, the quick and easy way that is, the path to the dark side. Perserverance I will use, and find the Red Guard I will. Maybe I should start to open some boxes and ask some employees . . .

Reaction score
My policy on opening cases is that it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. 'Nuff said.

Let's pretend you were trying to buy butter, and the butter was sold out on the shelf, but an unopened case of butter was sitting on a pallet. What would you think if you asked to buy the butter from the case, but the employee told you it was against store policy and you'd have to wait until she got around to stocking it or try coming back tomorrow. The store would have the employee fired in two seconds. I don't understand why as toy collectors we should have to tolerate this kind of treatment when it seems absurd and asinine to imagine it happening with most other products the store sells. Yeah, I understand the street date policy but aside from that, there's no excuse for this. Why should you be penalized because you showed up earlier than the next guy who's going to buy the same product a couple hours later once it's put out?

Reaction score
besides that damn Red Guard. That guy continues to elude me. I'm not about to buy it on the internet, the quick and easy way that is, the path to the dark side. Perserverance I will use, and find the Red Guard I will.
Bumping a very very old thread (literally a decade later :p), but this is my new favorite thing said, ever.