Sealed cases left on stock cart?

Reaction score
I found a case of SW figures on a stock cart this morning. There was no body around and I took it out of the stack on the cart and ripped the box open. Found an AT-TE tank gunner in the case. There was plenty of this case on the pegs but no Tank Gunner. I got to it before the scalpers and the scalper employee that stocks the toys. He gave me crap upon seeing me with the case after I pulled out the figures I wanted. I didn't care. If you find a case of figures what do you do? I finally found what I have been looking for and its one for the collector.

Reaction score
Good for you. And i realy mean that. Good to hear someone getting to a sealed case before the scalpers. Store policy or not if you hadn't opened it odds are a scalper would have.

Reaction score
Yes I always have my trusty keys on me upon entering a store as you never know when your gonna have to cut open that case just sitting on the floor calling your name! I've never been given any grief for doing this either. In fact I remember once at Target during the Saga wave a they had about 4 cases on the floor just sitting there I saw a stockboy nearby and asked if he could open them so I could take a look he just handed me 2 cases and said "Help yourself" LOL. I didn't know if he was being insulting or helpful. He did seem cool about it though.

Reaction score
I did the same thing today at target when they opened, a couple of hot wheels guys (the nice ones) pulled out a knife and opened four cases for me. The reason why they did this was because of how the employee responded to me. I asked if I could look and she said "don't touch them!" When they heard her they said that we should open them just because of her being a (insert word). They were not into star wars but they wanted to help me out which for once was a nice act from them. I only got another clone commander just incase any of my friends needed one. One of them got one too but I did not worry because there was like 6 of them in 4 seperate cases. They also said that since we opened them we should just put everything out. We stuck like 5 piots, 5 palpatines (red saber) and of course the 6 commanders on the pegs. That will show her!

Reaction score
I do that too if I thought I could get the figures I really wanted compared to buying them from scalpers.

Reaction score
When I worked retail, if somebody wanted to open a case that I was going to stock anyway, I had no problem with it. After all, it was less for me to put on the shelf and the customer has what they want.

Reaction score
I agree, good for you. I've busted many cases (not all at one time) to look for figures and most of the time, I will even fill the pegs with what I opened. Doing it myself is how I got #'s 36-40. I've never had anyone get in my face about it tho.
What I hate are these so called "collectors" that will bust open 7 cases and leave everything scattered for the employees to clean up. I witnessed this about a week ago, and the worst thing is, stuff like that tarnishes all of us who love the hobby of collecting as opposed to "get it to ebay tonight" P.O.S. scalpers.

Reaction score
I also put out the other 9 figures on the pegs and left the white filler papers in the box by the cart. The employee looked like he just got out of bed. I guess the morning warm up that most Targets do, didnt wake him up. I suspect that he wanted to get to them first because of his reaction to me. Too bad. I did his job for him and got what I wanted. Wish there were cases of #41 and up. They wish show eventually.

Reaction score
1 target in the whole Albuqerque area put out #41-44 and my friend got them. Only one of each though, it seems that only one case was put out that day in that store.

Reaction score
I usually have gotten yelled at by workers for trying to open the cases. So I havent done it in awhile.

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this board so i thought I'd start here.

My friend and I used to go to WalMart late at night while they were stocking just to see what they were stocking. before Star wars I collected anything Dodge Viper and he collected anything Hummer related. We'd always look for new Maisto cases and would get yelled at for trying to get a jump on people.

Now since I am heavy into the Star Wars toys(purely for my own collection...no scalper here) I have been anxious to get a look at what's in the box. I get yelled at for even being near a box so I am forced to browse the rest of the store until the employee gets to the box I want or leave empty handed. Last night was a prime example because I was looking through all the pegwarmers for 41-44 and I saw a fresh box sitting in a cart with no employee in site. I decided to let it be though. I walked by it to leave the isle and one of the Walmart employees yelled at me "not to touch that box" and that "she would stock it whenever she felt like it". Somebody must have already asked her about it.

I used to work at a Toy Store in the local mall so I have the stockboy expieriance with collectors and for the most part they were nice about asking to see what was in the box so I'd let them open and pilfer through it but the folks who were real jerkholes about it I'd rattle off our loosely inforced collectors policy and take the box to the back and stock it later. Betcha can't guess which collectors were which.

Reaction score
I've had a couple employees give me dirty looks for opening cases before but for the most part they are pretty helpful. I have no problem tearing into a fresh case if it is on the sales floor. I just try not to make a mess when I do it.

Reaction score
I'll open anything I see. Its fair game in my oppinion. But I do check to see if I'm alone before doing so. When the AOTC figures were out we saw boxes on top of boxes in my area and we got to open alot, to no avail. So far I've only see one box, in Kmart. Automatically I knew there wasn't going to be anything special in it. I was correct.

However Target had pretty empty pegs yesterday and I've got time before work this morning. Maybe I'll come back with a war story. See you guys.

Reaction score
I like target becuase when they open at 8, if they have it it will be on the pegs.
However, Wal_mart will stock at almost anytime, If I am there late and they have rolled out the pallets for stocking, I have no problem "Pallet Diving", especially if the case is marked (not all of them are) with the wave I want. I try to be discreet about it though, and if I do raid a box, I will more than likely stock the remnants (plus I get a nifty box out of the deal sometimes)

Reaction score
Some stores claim that if it's on the stock cart, it's not for sale. I dissagree. IMO, anything on the floor is up for grabs. If you show up when the doors open, and the stuff is still on the stock carts, the employee responsable hasn't finished their job in a timely manner, all stock should be either on the shelves or taken away before the doors open. Why should the customer suffer if this is not the case?

As a courtesy, I ask, and never have any problems. They always let me keep the box as well.

Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate here Darth_Anton, but what about those 24 hour Wal-Mart Super Centers? Should everything on the pallets be fair game if the store never closes?

Reaction score
short4astormtrooper said:
I like target becuase when they open at 8, if they have it it will be on the pegs.
In some cases, they'll stock after 8PM, but before 10AM since they need to finish before their break time around 10AM. I've actually gotten some good hauls around 8:30-9AM.

Reaction score
Opoth said:
Playing devil's advocate here Darth_Anton, but what about those 24 hour Wal-Mart Super Centers? Should everything on the pallets be fair game if the store never closes?
True, not to mention they sometimes leave stock on a pallet, slap a price sign on it and let it go. As I said earlier, its those people making a huge mess to get figures that make it hard on the rest of us and I can see why some store employees would be tired of it and have an attitude.

Reaction score
Opoth said:
We don't have 24 stores around here. Never thought of that.

Reaction score
I usually go around midnight or 1am, or in the morning around 7am. The pallets seem to sit there all night and theres no employees around around those times. I usually grab a case, go back to where the toys are and stock it myself, and take whatever I may need. I've never be yelled at for doing it, but thats because I've never been caught!
Last time I did this, it was 3 weeks before E3 toys were supposed to come out, and I stocked 2 cases worth! Came back a couple hours later and everything was taken down.

cCc

Reaction score
Targets around me don't necessarily stock over night. I think they want to avoid the collectors waiting in line for them to open. I've seen them pull stock during lunch or the afternoon. It's really a crap shoot for me to figure out when to go. Seems the Wal-marts around me generally stock overnight.

GSJ

Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to open up some fresh cases in the past (not just SW merchandise). From my experiences, it really depends upon the person that you talk to. When I ask about opening up a case, I will usually mention that I will make sure and populate the pegs as I go through it. That way, it's a win-win situation. You get to look at a fresh case, and the employee doesn't have to bother with stocking the pegs.

Then again, you get some of the scalper employees (and EVERY store has at least one) that are total pains and are extremely rude about it. There have been a couple of instances where, after having my you-know-what ripped off by a biligerent employee, I've gone up to the service desk and complained. After explaining the situation and telling them that I offered to put the items on the shelf for them, I've been able to go ahead and look through the cases, much to the chagrin of the disgruntled scalper employee.

I know that at least at my local Walmart, if the case is on the cart or palette, it's off limits. But once the case has been taken off and placed in the aisle for stocking (even if it's not open yet), it's fair game. With that said, you still run the chance of getting told off by the employee that is stocking, regardless of the store policy.

Reaction score
I was at Walmart this past Friday and spotted an employee with a whole pallet of basic and deluxe figs. I looked around at the cases and couldn't decipher all the numbers and codes. What am I looking for to tell what wave/assortment it is?

Reaction score
Ugh I had my first taste of sealed cases on the floor just last week. At Walmart at there was a pallet of at least 10 fresh cases. I asked the employee reorganizing the shelves to make room if I could take a look inside them and he flat out refused! He only let me look at the 2 that were already open, which scored me a AT-TE gunner. His reason was that it messes up the inventory counts to open the boxes. (total BS but I didnt want to argue, there were kids around)

Anyway, I still imagine those other 8 boxes having the Dooku saber Anakin and blue saber Palpatine that have thus far eluded me! So frustrating!

Reaction score
Found ten scases last night at WM. Ripped open wave 4 cases and took out 2x 41-44 and an Anakin Variant with Dooku saber. Nice to find these things.

Reaction score
You are a customer at a store, wanting to buy product, any sales associate that yells at you for that is inexcusable. When that happens, ask to speak to the manager and have them explain why they are discouraging you from buying products from their store.

Theoretically, you should be able to bring an entire case up to the register, have the sales associate swipe a junky figure laying around 12 times and sell you the case. However, that would make you an incredibly rude scalper.

Reaction score
all day long im asked to open boxes of overstock or look for new product, if i think we have it, i'll look for it, or open boxes with no hesitation. dont always have what they are looking for, but it's nice when you do, and they are happy to get it. i see costumers open boxes of understock sometimes, our corparate office says it's fine, most of them put things back just as they got them, or atleast get them out of the aisles. so good going getting your figure, they guy/girl may just have tried to flaunt power on you....haters. that or you screwed over a stockscalper lol.

Reaction score
the toy manager at my Target will take cases that are in the back,and let me go through them..so i usually don't have to wait for the cases to be on the floor..he'll just pull them from the stockroom...its nice to have friends like that..

Reaction score
Glad this thread was brought back up, I too found a semi new case. It had already been picked over, but was able to find my first SA Trooper out of it, so I was excited!! But that Gunner is nigh impossible to find still!!! I found my sole Gunner at K-Mart of all places, I never find anything there!!!

Reaction score
if its on the sales floor,cart or pallet they are fair game to me

Reaction score
Every Saturday, I go to Target at 8 AM. Always the same hot wheels guys too. My Target usually doesn't stock before they open. What they'll do, Is bring out a cart of boxes with all different kinds of toys on it. So every Saturday I take all of the boxes off the cart and open up any SW box that I see. I've never got in trouble, because I do it while the Target employees are on their weekly meeting. It's great, because EVERY Target worker is in the front of the store, and I don't have to hear any BS about "collectors policy." I've only got yelled at once, and it wasn't even by an employee: It was a scalper. He was looking around the Hot Wheels aisle, and didn't find anything. So then he goes over to the SW aisle, and the pegs were like empty. So I opened a couple of boxes, and found some figures that I was after, and the scalper got really mad. He said that I'm not allowed to do that, and he pointed to the box and told me to put them back in there right now. I told him that I do it all the time, and so I just left. I guess he thought that he could scare a teenager like me. That's not gonna happen.

Reaction score
That was a good story palpsRocks. Any time you can just dish it back to the scalper and "tell them where to shove it" is great! Kepp fighting the good fight!

Reaction score
The employees at the Walmart I go to will hide cases if they see me. I always wait until ten after midnight when they go on their hour lunch break, and have a field day if I find any new cases. I really could care less about their ******* policies regarding the cracking open of cases, I say if it's there it's a free for all and BTW, I am a paying customer.

Oh, and Palpsrocks, good for you for giving it to that [censored] scalper.

Reaction score
i saw some guy at walmart the other day get thrown out for opening a case before they were ready to. now im afraid to...

Reaction score
All I have to say is:

"This institution reserves the right to refuse service to anybody."

Meaning, they make the rules. Ask first - if the employees say yes, look in the boxes. If they say no, then tough.

Reaction score
I never had a problem opening cases that were on the floor. After awhile the sales managers get to know you and pretty much lets you go through and take what you want. I'm usually nice about it so what I leave I usually place on the pegs. They're nice enough to let you open them so it's the least I can do in return.

Reaction score
Dhivael said:
i saw some guy at walmart the other day get thrown out for opening a case before they were ready to. now im afraid to...
He got thrown out? I'm kind of scared now too...

Reaction score
If I see sealed cases, I will open them.I haven't had any problem, but I am pretty neat about it.