Screen-Used Lightsaber Prop

Reaction score
I couldn't see any other place to post this other than the vintage section, but this isn't vintage so...

Does anyone have any idea of the value of a Star Wars Episode II Anakin Skywalker Screen-Used Lightsaber?

Reaction score
There are a few important things related to screen used items: provenance and official papers to prove it, quality and condition of the prop, hero or stunt, if it is screen matched or not, importance of the prop etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it was hero and used during Skywalker’s escape from the Execution Arena on the planet Geonosis, as well as during his climactic duel with Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Tyranus. It comes with a certificate from Hollywood History stating to that effect. It was obviously dropped, thrown, etc. during those scenes. Upon doing some research I found that Obi Wan's lightsaber from the same scenes sold at auction for $21,000 in 2013 so that gives me a rough idea, but as I say I do not know all of the factors. This isn't my usual area of collecting - I collect space and NASA memorabilia usually, but have always wanted a screen-used lightsaber because, well, who doesn't?

Here are photos.

Reaction score
Very cool. Though it is not Anakin's lightsaber per se, he got this from other Jedi to fight on Geonosis. The value for this could be lower or higher than Obi's similar saber. You need to do a careful research though. BTW do you want to sell it or buy it?

Reaction score
Ah, a good point and one I didn't consider - of course it isn't Anakin's lightsaber, though he did use it which for me makes it even more interesting. Whether that translates to others or not I don't know. I own it already and I don't intend on selling it (yet, but will eventually), but I am curious as to its value so that if I do receive any offers I know what would be considered as ''fair''.

My research stacks up and Hollywood History have confirmed it is as described. But is there anything else I should be looking for?

From what I can see Lightsabers don't come up very often, and when they do they tend to bring in sums in excess of around $15k (and that is for secondary characters). But there are only two auctions I have seen, one for the original Luke Skywalker Lightsaber ($240k) and the auction in 2013 which I mentioned above - not a lot to go on!

Reaction score
The thing is Original Trilogy props will always have a much higher value than any other Star Wars props. It's the iconic and historic part related to them.

Reaction score
Yes I would agree, but then I don't have $240,000 to go buying original trilogy lightsabers ;)

Reaction score
Sergiu has some good advise.

Honestly it is quite hard to price something like this.
They don't come up for sale a lot and are quite rare, but this is a beat prequel item. It will have no comparison to OT items.

Honestly I would be surprised if it was worth 21K, but you never know with one of a kind items.

Reaction score
I feel that as Disney start making more SW films, one per year I hear, the prices for a lot of pieces will go up and I can't see this being an exception. A lightsaber, Prequel or not, will still bring in serious interest. Nothing screams Star Wars more than a lightsaber... it was the reason I bought it and I'm going to guess that there are plenty more like me out there. But who knows. I've given up on this, there just isn't a long enough searchable history of sales to have any kind of accuracy.

Reaction score
Very true. Just not a lot of sales.

One thing to remember as more and more movies are made, more and more stunt and hero sabers will be made as well. In 10 years when we have over 20+ Star Wars movies, it may cause the price to rise on OT items, but prequel items may be lumped in with the new movies.

Will be interesting to see.

GNT

Reaction score
It's important to note that production usually makes like 5-10 of each hilt for various uses - hero, various stunt ones, rubber etc.

From memory they made a few generic hilts for the arena scene and then made casts of them and then those were used for various arena Jedi so any number of on set might've had this same hilt. Best bet would be to find marks that match up between the movie and the piece, if your unable to do that then I'd probably say it could be a background extra Lightsaber. What's it made out of?

Either way it's a cool item.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input GNT, but the COA states it is the one Anakin used and that has been confirmed by the original consigner (a saber tech).

Reaction score
Well I can't stand auctions. Ridiculous fees (for both the buyer and seller) and the seller has to wait months to receive a cheque, yes a cheque, because apparently we live in 1950. I always prefer private sales or sometimes I'll sell pieces of my collection through my online shop, so likely as not one of those two.

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I'm allowed to plug my site here? But honestly the site is more aimed at NASA and space memorabilia, it wasn't until recently that I started to stock Star Wars and Star Trek merchandise anyway so there isn't a whole let there (yet) and what is there is general merchandise rather than rare memorabilia - that will change in time of course but still. If plugging my site here is allowed do let me know and I'll share :)

GNT

Reaction score
Your best bet would be an auction house or a memorabilia sale that pops up every few months. Try propstore they're usually very good and hold big auctions.

Reaction score
I thought about that but I don't fancy waiting 4-6 months to be paid. I may list it on this forum, there appears to be a place for it here. The question is, how much.