Scott D Collection

Reaction score
After 12 years of being a RS member, I figured it was time to post a few pics.

My collection started Christmas of '77 when my brother and I got our Early Bird kits. I quit collecting in the early 90's

I sold a large amount of my collection about a month ago locally. When the wife and I moved into our new home last summer, the "Man Room" downstairs had a nice gun cabinet built into the wall, next to the fireplace. My guns stay in the safe, so I converted the cabinet into my SW display shelves this weekend.

If it couldn't fit in this cabinet, it was sold. My focus is what survived my childhood and a few things bought through mail order in the late '80's, like the POTF figures.

To make a long story short, I was 8 and my brother was 15 when SW was released in '77. Even though my brother was "too old" for toys, mom was buying for him when she bought for me. She stopped doing this in '79.

His stuff was boxed up and put in my parent's attic until the late 1980's until I bought it all from him. I got his Early Bird set w/figures, 12 & 20 backs, Sears Cantina with figures still in the baggies and his Mail Away Fett for $200.00

The "autographed" Darth Vader photo is from 1978 or 1979 when I met him at a Richway store. I remember 20 backs on display near the platform he was on, so I've always thought it was a Kenner promo tour.

My Early Bird & Sears Cantina backdrops survived my childhood.

My Early Bird Set had the DT Lightsaber, but my brother's did not.

The unpunched POTF figures and the "The Star Wars" decals in the pic above were purchased in the late 80's from a dealer that advertised in the back of Starlog magazine. They had purchased a bunch of stuff from Gary Kurtz.

The ROTJ Fett was purchased around 1990 for $3.00 at a comic book store around 1990. That's a MarkPoon RocketFett in the case. The other one behind the large size IG-88 & Fett is a crude reproduction card that I've had since the early 90's. (The only two repo items in my collection)

Reaction score
Wow really nice collection. You have some really cool items in there. I especially like the poster on the left behind Jabba.

Reaction score
Great collection! I love that you have your EB figures and your brothers. It's interesting that you got a DT and he didn't. Did you both receive them around the same time as well?

Also, what are the mailers to the left in the 2nd to last picture? I'm guessing those are replacement parts from the "We Really Do Care" offers on the instruction sheets.

Reaction score
Wow really nice collection. You have some really cool items in there. I especially like the poster on the left behind Jabba.
I enjoyed reading the SW newspaper comics. Those were the advertising inserts on the coin operated newspaper machines back then. Let's not talk about how I got them. :whistling:

Reaction score
awesome collection. great fett stuff and awesome eb figures. luke has a pretty straight saber.
When I was cropping the pic, I thought the same thing.

I must have caught it at just the right angle. It has a little wavy-ness in real life. I'm just happy it survived my childhood.

Reaction score
Great collection! I love that you have your EB figures and your brothers. It's interesting that you got a DT and he didn't. Did you both receive them around the same time as well?

Also, what are the mailers to the left in the 2nd to last picture? I'm guessing those are replacement parts from the "We Really Do Care" offers on the instruction sheets.
I'm going to guess that mom was the one that filled out the paperwork and she sent them out at the same time. I have no memory of the arrival timeline. Considering our mailer boxes had our names on them, I'd bet if my brother's showed up before mine, she would have held onto it until mine arrived.

The two mailers are indeed "We really do care!" mailer boxes. One is a bagged 4-LOM. The other is empty, but it once contained Slave I parts. A Han in Carbonite, to be exact.

I used to have one that said "weapons" on the lower corner of the label. I wrote Kenner a letter between SW and ESB and asked for some replacements, and they took good care of me.

Here's a pic of how the display is set up in the Man Room.

Last edited:

HWR

Reaction score
Amazing collection and beautifully displayed. The man room looks nice, guess you spend many hours down there.

Reaction score
The man cave looks great to me! That's a great room and the posters look awesome too :)

Reaction score
The Star Wars poster on the left has amazing art work. Great room.
All of my 27X40 posters came from the Lucasfilm fan Club over 20 years ago. The one on the left is known as the "Circus" poster. I like the SW title in the Flash Gordon font. The smaller one on the far right was my brother's. Made by Factors Inc. and was probably purchased in our local K mart or Richway store back in '77.

Yeah, I like it down here. My desk/internets are here, nice TV, etc. Our dog hangs out down here with me a lot and works on his rawhide rings. (his busy work) My SW prop collection is down here, too. I'll make a few pics of the display and add them to the Prop Limelighting section eventually.

My goal is to have every figure loose/complete, but I'm still far from it. I never got a Yak Face and every POTF figure you see on a card means that I don't have a loose example.

I had to go to my other house last Saturday to check out a false home alarm. While I was there, I went through a few boxs that I haven't gotten around to moving yet. I discovered that I still had a set of SW Burger King glasses, New/unused and slid down in some old socks to protect them. They were my brother's. I sold mine last month, and now I have another set. Oh, well. On the top shelf they go, along with his SW lunchbox that he was way too old to ever use.

The framing limelighting thread got me thinking about this little item below. A friend of my brother gave this to me in the early 90's.

It was put out by 20th Century Records back in '77 with the soundtrack was released. You can see the R2 side of this in one of the old price guides. (The one that Sansweet was involved with a long time ago)

It won't fit in the display cabinet, but I'm thinking the space battle side would look kinda cool framed & hung on the wall.

Thanks for all of the compliments. I'm very happy to have my collection narrowed down to what really mattered to me and displayed somewhat properly. :)

Reaction score
I think it's great that you have so many items left from your childhood. Those items have extra value added to them. The memories that come with them are priceless.

I thought you had purchased the poster later, but it's nice to hear that you originally got it from the Lucasfilm fan club.

The set of Burger King glasses look great. I have a few of them myself, not a complete set, and I really like the art work.

The space battle scene with the Death Star looks fantastic. I have never seen that display before. You have to get that one up in some way. Great piece. Thanks for sharing!

BTW Please post your props in this thread as well. Would be nice to see! B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Scott,

Can you scan those ajc inserts (excuse me I guess then they were the am and pm editions!). I live in Athens and those have put me back about 30 years...

Your dog is awesome.

Thanks,
Cal

Reaction score
I think it's great that you have so many items left from your childhood. Those items have extra value added to them. The memories that come with them are priceless.

I thought you had purchased the poster later, but it's nice to hear that you originally got it from the Lucasfilm fan club.

The set of Burger King glasses look great. I have a few of them myself, not a complete set, and I really like the art work.

The space battle scene with the Death Star looks fantastic. I have never seen that display before. You have to get that one up in some way. Great piece. Thanks for sharing!

BTW Please post your props in this thread as well. Would be nice to see! B)
The Burger King glasses are nice, but the Burger King posters with the same artwork so 1970's and so cool. B) I have the posters, but they're not framed.

Here's a sneak preview pic of the prop collection, along with a couple more posters. The Fett one is modern, though.

Edit: Cal, I'll PM you in a moment concerning the AJC scans.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice. You got a great prop collection as well. Could you identity the guns and blasters for us?

Do you have a shot of those Burger King posters?

Reaction score
I'll I.D. the props in a future Limelight thread in the proper location.

My BK and other SW posters are rolled up in a tube/stored away.

Reaction score
While looking through my old SW Fan Club literature, I found another item from way back then.

This came out of the Zayre on Memorial Drive, if my memory is right.

Mom asked the cashier (!) if I could have it after the contest was over.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I was fascinated with any info that was released to the public before ESB and ROTJ. (Pictures, the trailers, etc.)

Having pics of Ackbar and Nien Nunb in my possession was an exciting thing back then.

Reaction score
I love your display shelf/case! It's a great time capsule with some fantastic pieces.

Reaction score
Did I miss something here ? All I could see was the coolest looking dog and the biggest penny collection ever !!
Great collection and cool story . Nice display . No complaints here just compliments my friend .

Reaction score
Bandit is roughly 9 years old and was a rescue that my wife adopted in 2005. He's a big doofus with a heart of gold.

Dad gave the (empty) Coke bottle bank to me sometime around 1995. It's actually 100% full now. That happened a week or so back.

I still haven't done the prop collection limelight that I promised. I'll get that done soon.

Thanks to Ebay and the RS Vintage Classifieds, I've been hunting down the POTF figures needed to complete a loose set of figures. Just 5 more to go.

Reaction score
Nice collection mate.

The 15 inch IG-88 looks great. Never seen one in the real. Love to get it.

Congrats

HWR

Reaction score
That poster is awesome, vintage promotional stuff and store displays are quite cool imo.

The coke bottle is cool to, but must be quite heavy now it's filled with coins. :)

Reaction score
Nice collection mate.

The 15 inch IG-88 looks great. Never seen one in the real. Love to get it.

Congrats
Thanks. B) Mine is the first one that I ever saw in the real world, too. It sat in the Titan Comics showcase on Lawrenceville Hwy. near Tucker, GA for while until I bought it around 1990. They wanted $220.00, but eventually dropped it to $190.00.

I bought my carded ROTJ Fett there, too. Had to pay $3.00 for it. The figure has some discoloration on one side, though. Probably exposed to sunlight for too long, maybe?

Speaking of the 12" line, while returning from walking the dog, I snapped a pic of my "Guard-Droid" on the path that leads to the boat door/workshop in the bottom of the house. I sold all of my 12" line except for the bounty hunters and this guy.

Like my 12" Fett, he's the original one from my childhood. R2 is pretty wore out, though. He's mising his Death Star plans and I ruined his chrome by trying to clean it with Windex. I used to put Jawas inside the compartment and pretend that R2 was a ship. :weeabooface: It looks like he was meant to fit in that tree, so that's where he is.

I liked the pic so much, I emailed it to 'ol GL himself. He sent it back "fixed" to better match his vision. Hmmm. :|

Reaction score
Really nice collection there mate, the only thing id do different is paint that cabinet white so you collection stands out a bit better, but regardless its a fine collection bro, cheers

Reaction score
Really nice collection there mate, the only thing id do different is paint that cabinet white so you collection stands out a bit better, but regardless its a fine collection bro, cheers
Thanks. B) If I was to do another color, it would be yellow, like on the cardbacks. I've always liked seeing other member's collections in their custom cases with that color as a background. Bright colors would be very jarring in this house, though.

As mentioned in post #27 above, I've been working on completing a set of loose figures. That was achieved earlier this year. Some came from Ebay, some from the classifieds right here on RS.

I'm happy to say that the last figure needed (Yak Face) came from a fellow RS member.

I'm cheating with the Imp Gunner and A-Wing pilot...they have Leia Poncho/AT-ST Driver pistols, but at least they're not repros.

I gave Endor Luke a Lightsaber that Kenner should have provided and handed off his Palace Blaster to Han Carbonite.

The only other thing purchased this year was a boxed CAP-2 to replace the one that I sold last year, which wasn't in the best of shape. The CAP-2 was my favorite Min-Rig when I was a kid, even though the red-hot engine exhaust was right below the feet of whatever action figure that was put inside. :eek:

Once again, I've reached a stopping point in my vintage collecting. Unless something really amazing comes along that'll fit in the display case, I'm very happy with what I have.

Reaction score
What kind of dog do you have? I can only tell he/she is a SW fan.

Nice clean set up.
Thanks. Bandit is a Terrier/Pointer mix, we think.

Wicket seems to think he's a Gorax, though. :|

The wife rescued/adopted him in 2005. He started out as "her" dog, but he has become "my" dog, if you know what I mean. I have today off so we're watching Harmy's SW Despecialized Edition right now.

To tell the truth, he's snoozing, so he may not be a big SW fan.

Below is a closer look at my "We Really Do Care" packages. I made this pic for another thread and I can't edit/add it to the reply above.

The prop collection limelighting thread still hasn't been made. When the weather cools down and the mosquitos go away, I'll make some good prop pics outside.

Reaction score
Awesome display. I love the DT Luke, and that your brother didn't get one!

Reaction score
Nice collection! It's neat that you downsized and kept the most meaningful pieces. Also they don't overwhelm your space.