Scale Millennium Falcon WIP

Reaction score
Scale Millennium Falcon WIP 2/16/16

I'm sure that most of us have dreamt since childhood of a Millennium Falcon built to the correct scale of the 3 3/4" figures. Well, I'm taking a stab at making one! I began with a rough foamcore prototype to get all of the dimensions down, as well as trying to fit the interior sets into the exterior model (serious compromises in some areas).
I've now begun on the final hard copy using acrylic and styrene, and plan to incorporate lights as well. Attached pics are of the prototype, and my progress so far on the final plastic versions of the cockpit and rear landing gear. Comments/critiques welcome!

Final version begun:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: Scale Millenium Falcon WIP (pic heavy)

Excellent. This is simply amazing. When I saw the Han figure in comparison to the rest of the ship, I defecated myself.
I really look forward to seeing the final product! After this, you should consider making a scale Death Star playset, which would only be 5.2 miles long.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go clean myself up...

Reaction score

Dude, good for you! I think it will come out great and everyone will be begging for one. It will take up alot of room, but damn, it will look great. I see a trend with collectors/customizers going large with ships/dioramas and it is about time.

Woody

Reaction score

I must say - AWESOME, WHOLLY COW, FANTASTIC!!!!

Dude - great perception in size - it excites me because I have been thinking of making my own as well - It's great to see someone actually doing it!

Please be sure to update often - this is bada$s! LOL!

sith_fire30

Reaction score

Wow, that looks like it's a beast. How much do you think it's going to weigh once it's all done? And how detailed are you going to be with the interior of it? Will it have removable panels on top so you can open it and see what's going on inside?? Great start, and I can't wait to see more progress.

sith_fire30 said:
Please be sure to update often
At least as often as you do, right SithFire??

Reaction score

I've wanted to do a set of landing gear like that for my custom Falcon. Any tips or instructions?

Reaction score

I think I just wet myself. The landing gear on that thing is huge. Man, I can't wait to see this when its done.

Reaction score

This is already amazing, and you've only just begun... but obviously already put in a lot of work.

Good luck with this amazing project!

Reaction score

That is absolutely amazing. You really captured the look and shape of the Falcon using foamcore! That's no small feat, what with all the curved edges and walls. The detail in the cockpit so far is also spot on. However, I think that this version is actually bigger than the "real" thing, or at least it appears bigger compared to the figures than the on set version compared to humans in ANH and ESB.

Reaction score

one of the best projetc i've seen in a long time

impressive how you have already added details, the size of that thing is mesmerizing

Reaction score

jokabofe wrote:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
How much do you think it's going to weigh once it's all done? And how detailed are you going to be with the interior of it? Will it have removable panels on top so you can open it and see what's going on inside??

[/QUOTE]

I can't even begin to guess what this monster will weigh; the foam version is probably twenty pounds, so the plastic one will be heavy, for sure. As far as detailing, I'm going to try and do as much as possible. My ultimate goal was no decals, period, but part of the cockpit console is only about 1/8" thick, so I don't think I can do interior lighting on it. Removable panels are also what I'm planning, since it's basically a diorama, as well as a ship.
Haven't decided yet whether or not to fill out the rear interior. So far, it's in the rough stages, but the attached photo shows some of the minor cockpit details I've begun. Thanks for the good words!

Reaction score

JediKnutt wrote:
I've wanted to do a set of landing gear like that for my custom Falcon. Any tips or instructions

[/QUOTE]

I went off of a copy of the set blueprints for the landing gear (see attached pic). I pretty much just start laminating pieces of acrylic together, fill the seams with bondo and sand 'em down. The large rod is 1/2" CPVC pipe, the smaller ones are various size rods and tubes from the hobby store. The dish-shaped piece with all of the perforations is a modified plastic cup, but I think I may redo it with photo-etched brass, so it's not as delicate.

Beginnigs stages of landing gear piece:

Reaction score

I think that this version is actually bigger than the "real" thing, or at least it appears bigger compared to the figures than the on set version compared to humans in ANH and ESB.

[/QUOTE]

Well, exterior sets are traditionally undersized in films (in Titanic, for example, the recreated ship was about 700 feet long, whereas the real one was 882). I used the construction blueprint for the cockpit set as a basis (It was a completely separate set), which increased the overall size of the ship by about 40 percent. If I'd stayed true to the size of the exterior set, none of the interior would fit without seriously shrinking everything.

Thanks for the great comments, Professor!

Reaction score

man that is by far the coolest project
i'll be watch'in this build to the finish
awesome work mate just awesome

Reaction score

I WANT ONE !!!

That looks awesome already - can't wait to see this project as it progresses.

Reaction score

I can't wait to see the final result. You could make a book of the step by step process you are going trough to make this.

Awesome!

Reaction score

Amazing idea and execution thus far, wish you best of luck on completing it in this lifetime

Reaction score

Simply amazing, both in size and in exectuion so far. I can only imagina how much time, effort and money will go into something like this.

Keep it up man, and looking forward to more detailed parts like that incredibe rear landing gear.

Btw, is the $61.9 million I see on the tv the start bid when it's on ebay?

Reaction score

that's amazing how detailled the falcon is gonna be, looks like you've done alot of research and work adaptating the movie sets measurements

Reaction score

After seeing this I really can't imagine Hasbro EVER doing one. If the shuttle was $100, this thing would be $1000. Then they'd only make 50 of em. etc etc.

Reaction score

Insanely cool! One of the most exciting projects I've ever seen here.

Have you seen the site Ship of Riddles? It's offline now, but preserved through the Wayback Machine. If not, it's a meticulous examination of the different dimensions of the Falcon sets and its various interiors, culminating with an effort to settle on the most-logical dimensions and internal plans. Might be useful....

Reaction score

Great work so far! Can't wait to see the finished product
What are the dimensions, in inches, so far?

Reaction score

rogue1 said:
I think that this version is actually bigger than the "real" thing, or at least it appears bigger compared to the figures than the on set version compared to humans in ANH and ESB.

Well, exterior sets are traditionally undersized in films (in Titanic, for example, the recreated ship was about 700 feet long, whereas the real one was 882). I used the construction blueprint for the cockpit set as a basis (It was a completely separate set), which increased the overall size of the ship by about 40 percent. If I'd stayed true to the size of the exterior set, none of the interior would fit without seriously shrinking everything.

Thanks for the great comments, Professor!

[/QUOTE]

That Titanic comment is a good point. I hadn't thought of that. The interior of the thing definitely seems vast. And, you're right. The areas inside the ship that we see don't look like they'd fit inside the on-set version. I really like how you made the new scale based off the cockpit schematics. Oh, and I really love the profile shot with the boarding ramp.

Reaction score

Yeah, bay-bay!!!!!!!!!!

This project rocks!!!!!

As a very vocal advocate for a correctly-scaled Millennium Falcon for Hasbro Action Figures, let me just say that you are creating something that could really be the ENVY of the entire STAR WARS toy collecting community!!!

If those awesome landing gear are any indication, your Millennium Falcon is going to be absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Congratualtions on an excellent start!!

Maybe those of us with correctly-scaled larger vehicles in our collections should form a club.

Reaction score

First off, I'd like to extend a HUGE Thanks to everyone for all of your great comments, and I hope that this thing will live up to expectations. Now, to answer a few questions:

DarthJace: I've spent a TON of time on the ship of riddles pages. Bob Brown has done the most extensive analysis of the Falcon that I've ever seen! Unfortunately, when it comes to an actual physical model, some of his ideas haven't worked out, at least for me. Ultimately, there is no way to make all of the interior sets work where they can be film accurate, so I guess no one can be 100% right OR wrong.

SW_Fan: The ship comes out to 70" long, 45" wide, and 13" tall, though that will grow slightly with the quad laser.

Darklord1967: A club sounds like a GREAT idea! I'll probably need a big support group just so I don't have a breakdown(lol)!

Again, thanks to everyone. This project will literally take years and thousands of pieces to finish, so please bear with me!

Reaction score

Hey, Rogue. I'm just starting to follow customizing and have been preparing my first project and my jaw hit the floor when I saw this thing.

I am simply amazed at what you have undertaken with this project and I will be watching your progress with great interest.

Amazing...

Reaction score

That is an awesome custom so far!

The only thing that sucks is that, as with a lot of things in the Star Wars Universe, there is no continuity with the Millenium Falcon; and thus the whole design doesn't work. I refer specifically to the gun wells. Its great that you've used the windows from the gunners stations, but fitting everything together, they don't work right. The entire outer round section of the gun well is suppose to rotate to allow a full range of fire. If you've ever seen the cut-away model from ERTL you would know what I am talking about.

Jason

Reaction score

Yeah, I actually stuck the gunner station window in the prototype just to make it look cooler. One of the big disappointments with the gunwells themselves, is that by putting both of them them in, there would be no room for the ladder in between. Haven't yet decided on a final solution for that.

Reaction score

I was hoping someone would take on this project and you're doing a fine job. I'm going to enjoy watching this progress. Excellent work so far!

Reaction score

DarthJace said:
Insanely cool! One of the most exciting projects I've ever seen here.

Have you seen the site Ship of Riddles? It's offline now, but preserved through the Wayback Machine. If not, it's a meticulous examination of the different dimensions of the Falcon sets and its various interiors, culminating with an effort to settle on the most-logical dimensions and internal plans. Might be useful....
Yes the Millennium Falcon ship of riddles is an excellent document. I have it saved as a word file with updated pictures.

One thing to keep in mind, the book Star Wars 365 days has a picture of the interior macquette that shows the location of the falcon's med bay. Looking forward from the forward hold it's off to the left next to the port corridor.

Reaction score

Mate, absolutely brilliant!!
I admire your commitment to such a HUGE undertaking! I'll be tuning in eagerly - & regularly!

Nice work!

Reaction score

Been extremely busy lateley, so I haven't gotten much done. Also, what with the new blueprints book from Del Rey coming out in August, I'm wonderin' if maybe I should hold off 'til then to continue. Anyone know specifically which plans for the Falcon will be in this thing?

Reaction score

Now THAT is a BMF!!!! What an awesome (and awe inspiring) job! You're right that this is a ship of riddles, so some things are naturally going to have to be varied. Looks like you've got all the main spots in there though, so what the heck?

A good friend of mine was talking about the two of us tackling this at some point and if we do, I know this will be the standard we measure against.

Like everyone else, I can' t wait to see more on this project! Good luck!

Spyke

Reaction score

Been working on the main hold lately. Here's what I've got so far:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Wow- your cuts are so precise, and that pic with Leia and Han looks straight out the movie! Glad to see you're continuing this despite the (still-underscaled) BMF