Sarco Plank

Reaction score
I can't shake the feeling that this figure screams for SG's.
In fact if they don't make an SA version, i may have to alter this one 95%. Just swap this head and chest gear over to an appropriate SA donor figure.

Reaction score
Grabbed this guy at Target, really like him for what he is. As with all these, would infinitely prefer SA versions, but at least the sculpting is generally good. And of course we still know nothing about most of these characters.

Reaction score
I doubt he does a lot in TFA. He's probably like this films "Ephant Mon" or something.
But still, it's a wonderful sculpt and interesting to look at a well

Man, such a beautiful figure!

Thanks again for the awesome pics, Mike S.

Reaction score
Meh, he is ok, the hands really kill him. They are too meat palmy really old school c-grip for my tastes. He would have looked better with a trigger finger sculpted in and add swivel arms 2005 style to get a half decent pose with the rifle. I do like the paint op on the face, that was nice. So far I am not digging the aliens revealed thus far for TFAs.

GNT

Reaction score
He doesn't mean covered faces, he means the aliens like Sarco, Unkar Thug, Teedo etc aren't to his liking.

Reaction score
He doesn't mean covered faces, he means the aliens like Sarco, Unkar Thug, Teedo etc aren't to his liking.

Dude, you are my protocol droid! Thanks for translating my post.

Yes, GNT nailed it they are all very Tusken like covered up and such. Atsy is also meh in my book. I am hoping for some more interesting species and of course more than anything else, lots of previously seen ones (Duro, Ithorians etc). Battlefront is killing it on that front for sure! How easy would it be for Hasbro to make some BF Rebel alien troops from existing molds.....

Anyway the Sarco figure is ok in my book but suffers from the 5POA sculpt limitations. I did buy him which says a lot as I am very selective on 5POA. I own a total of 8 now across all films.

Reaction score
Now if I could just snag that Unkar's Thug three pack... :)
I'm very keen on the Unkar Thug three pack, been waiting for a while, definitely up for it, been wanting it for weeks, then stumbled across four of them on the shelf, had a smile on my face, but then after checking each one, very bad QC issues, all four of the packs had glaring QC issues, smile gone from my face, walked out with nothing. I wish Hasbro would fix it's manufacturing techniques, this is getting very annoying.

Reaction score
Actually, the sculpt excels BECAUSE of the 5POA limitations, but….whatever.

:wtf:
Unless this guy has some major action in the film, I think this is one of an increasing number of 5 POA figures I can live with. If it did have a more complex sculpt, it'd still like have limiting rubber robes or iffy cloth robes over the legs. The rest would probably be fine but the less I have to rebuy the better.

Reaction score
Actually, the sculpt excels BECAUSE of the 5POA limitations, but….whatever.

:wtf:
Your unnecessary "snark" makes zero sense. If you want to get technical he exists because of the rebirth of SW figures in 1995 with 6POA which evolved into SA, which then devolved back into where it started in 1977 with 5POA.

I know you are a very pro and sensitive 5POA guy that feels the need to defend any critical comment on a 5POA figure but seriously relax a little. It's not a personal attack on you. I am just stating it could have been a better figure with a tiny bit more articulation (Swivel elbows like POTJ Bespin Escape Leai) and a better hand pose with a trigger finger. This is a background bum that I am cool having limited articulation, he does not need to be SA. I even complimented this figure in some aspects but he could be better even with the limited articulation. It's constructive criticism not brainless bashing.

It's still a forum right to discuss aspects about figures right?

Reaction score
Wow, don't take things so personally. The "but…whatever" part is because this has been discussed to death, so chill. :)

Anyway, you claimed that there were "sculpt limitations" because of 5POA. In fact, it's the opposite. The sculpt looks as pure and cohesive as it does because there wasn't the need to compromise the sculpt to accommodate more advanced articulation. No need for a soft goods skirt for leg articulation, no need to break up or modify the sculpt of the arms for elbow joints, the shoulders are nice and flush because they didn't incorporate ball joints, etc…

They were able to pull off such a nice sculpt because of it's simplicity.

Also, looks better without the "smell my finger" trigger hands. While on the subject, never understood why they also do that with the left hand on right handed characters.

Reaction score
I agree to an extent. The head sculpt is very nice, also like the hard plastic hood drapery. But the chest box look really undefined, could have been more detailed. The cloths pf course look good, the details are present there. Folds etc. I really would have liked some swivel wrists and BH elbows at least. The weapon is almost useless if you cannot hold it right/offensively. Out of 100, I'd give it a solid 75. For a 5POA figure it delivers better than most. I just wish there was a middle ground line of action figures.

I also never cared for that "finger", it didn't even look right when holding the weapons 90% of the time anyways. In the beginning it looked fine, it was positioned right. Buat after a couple years someone just got lazy and it never even come close to teh trigger.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Got this guy today. I agree, swivel elbows need to come back. But that's just me. I have a weird love for swivel elbows because the sculpt is retained and two handed poses are possible. It's the perfect middle ground. :)

Reaction score
Well yeah, i feel ya; seeing as how i have a weird love for looking at **** ladies shoes... oops, ummm, yep drrr i think it's called a fetish. Okay bye...:grin:
Whoa, whoa, whoa Zuvio! This is a toy forum! Kids might be here! Think of the children!

Reaction score
I finally found Sarco today at WM. It was the first time I have really encountered any wave 2 figures in the wild.

Reaction score
I'm still seeing this guy everywhere in my area. Almost every Target, Walmart, or TRU has him in stock.
Saw my first wave 2 Kylo today at Target, but they had none of the other figures from his assortment (PZ, Goss).

Reaction score
I find it strange that in some places of America they are lacking Wave 2 figures while Australia is flooded with some of them. Maybe Hasbro is not making these by the millions and they will eventually be rare after all, just like the original 1977 ones??

Reaction score
I find it strange that in some places of America they are lacking Wave 2 figures while Australia is flooded with some of them. Maybe Hasbro is not making these by the millions and they will eventually be rare after all, just like the original 1977 ones??
A compelling theory, but first we have to think- The OG star wars films are good flicks, so that's part of it. Plus, there were 330 Mill. kenner figures manufactured (from what i've heard), and there's 7 billion people. There would have to be twice as many figures in 30 years, and people would have to care for the toys. There will probably be about 500 mil. by 2021, when the new trilogy's final film is released, so I think it's plausible. Plus, if we're right, it would be like 2040 until they hit the same value.

Reaction score
A compelling theory, but first we have to think- The OG star wars films are good flicks, so that's part of it. Plus, there were 330 Mill. kenner figures manufactured (from what i've heard), and there's 7 billion people. There would have to be twice as many figures in 30 years, and people would have to care for the toys. There will probably be about 500 mil. by 2021, when the new trilogy's final film is released, so I think it's plausible. Plus, if we're right, it would be like 2040 until they hit the same value.
Not discounting the basic reality of it concerning time, but there's more involved when it comes to price and collecting. The primary and exclusive and only factor of price when it comes to the collector's demographic, is 'rarity'. I'd hazard a guess that these figues will be rarer sooner than later if certain factors play in our favor, so they might be rare by 2020, the world's moving a lot faster these days, but other factors may come into play, but a few things i'm guestimating as far as wishful thinking...

1: No matter what Hasbro do with their output numbers of the new TFA figures, we here at these forums have the original 2015 first release series! < that's important, it matters in the supply&demand principle of rarity, making sure we get the first series, which is the crucial thing. All famous high-demand rare Marvel and DC comic books are mainly judged by what production run they were, the first series always makes the grade for highest demand, so we've got that sortedo-o

2: There's a chance that Hasbro is aware of this demographic of collectors for Star Wars figures and they are happy to just produce a limited amount to deliberately make the figures rare, a first run without oversaturating the market, or maybe Disney has dictated that it be a limited run to not cheapen their newly acquired Star Wars brand.

3: Remember, this is "Star Wars" we're talking about here; but now, 39 YEARS LATER with all the new movie technology and interesting new characters, and the fervent effort of J.J Abrams to make-up for the prequel duds and produce a winner, plus with Luke, Leia and Han Solo back in, this TFA movie could feasibly acquire cult status (we don't know if Luke, Han and Leia will be around for the next), so it will maintain the same mystique as the OG Star Wars films, or maybe even more so, especially if J.J Abrams nails it.

4: If Hasbro doesn't oversaturate the market with the figures and the movie ends-up more popular than the original (which is a possibility) because in 1977 the movie was amazing but was rabidly liked by comparatively fewer people and collectors than will be the case these days, then TFA is likely to be admired by hundreds of millions of young adults etc rather than just a few million in 1977, so then keep these action figurines unopened MOC and that will ensure you're in good stead.

5: Bide your time and i'm sure these TFA figures will possibly become rarer sooner than later, we may not have to wait 30 years for rarity status of these figures.B)

Other than that, with all this speculative optimism, i might need to be woken from sleep:$

Reaction score
Are we really predicting the "rarity" of these figures 20-30 years down the road? What makes anyone think it will any different then the past 20 years? Besides from a few very specific items anything from POTF2, POTJ, Ep 1, Saga, ROTS, 30th, etc all way through the latest line can be obtained for very reasonable prices from a number of different outlets. You can pretty much count on finding bins of MOC Star Wars figures

Reaction score
Are we really predicting the "rarity" of these figures 20-30 years down the road? What makes anyone think it will any different then the past 20 years? Besides from a few very specific items anything from POTF2, POTJ, Ep 1, Saga, ROTS, 30th, etc all way through the latest line can be obtained for very reasonable prices from a number of different outlets. You can pretty much count on finding bins of MOC Star Wars figures
Kinda what I'm thinking. There will undoubtedly be a few figures from this line that will be rare, but I can't think of any that have released so far. It's usually the end waves that didn't get much circulation or the stuff they had to recall to fix production errors or whatnot.

While I don't see it becoming rare, the Ezra figure from TFA line is a perfect example; some are packed with his helmet on and some are packed with it in the bubble beside him.
Whichever one becomes the precedent, the other will drop into obscurity (assuming they don't keep both packing variants alive).
This is what happened with the Captain Piett POTF2 figure and many others in the past.

The original POTF Yakface figure being the prime example of end-of-line wave rarity, as well as the Jacen/Jaina figures from TLC.

Reaction score
Thing is, eBay changed everything.

If eBay were around back in the vintage days, you would have had MANY more people buying vintage figures for investment/quick cash turnover purposes like we have now. Back then, there wasn't that avenue for quick turnover, so fewer people bought figures with $ in their eyes, thus…fewer carded vintage figures in collector circulation. In all honesty, I'm actually surprised as many vintage carded figures made it out of the 70's and early 80's alive.

Bravo guy at the 1:42 mark. Bravo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjs1RMF1iw

Reaction score
Thing is, eBay changed everything.

If eBay were around back in the vintage days, you would have had MANY more people buying vintage figures for investment/quick cash turnover purposes like we have now. Back then, there wasn't that avenue for quick turnover, so fewer people bought figures with $ in their eyes, thus…fewer carded vintage figures in collector circulation. In all honesty, I'm actually surprised as many vintage carded figures made it out of the 70's and early 80's alive.

Bravo guy at the 1:42 mark. Bravo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjs1RMF1iw
Yeah, if they had the option to turn those things around as quick as they do today, there would be even fewer carded figures in circulation today.

That guy knew what he was doing in 1983. I'm just as surprised that there are still so many MOC figures from the original toy lines still around.

Reaction score
Yeah, if they had the option to turn those things around as quick as they do today, there would be even fewer carded figures in circulation today.

That guy knew what he was doing in 1983. I'm just as surprised that there are still so many MOC figures from the original toy lines still around.

Actually, I was saying there would be more vintage carded figures around today because more people would have been buying them for investment purposes if something like eBay were around back then.

Reaction score
Actually, I was saying there would be more vintage carded figures around today because more people would have been buying them for investment purposes if something like eBay were around back then.
Oh.. My bad. Haha I guess there are two sides to that coin.
More carded figures.. I can see that. But only if they were quickly unloading them to people who were keeping them carded.
If they were scalping them on eBay back in '83, a lot of parents might end up paying high dollar for their kids' toys.

At least, that's how I took it.

It sucks though, because for a guy like me who wasn't around for the original trilogy toy lines, the only vintage figures I'll own will likely be loose. The prices for carded figures are ridiculous nowadays.
I'd love to get a few into my collection for less than $200 a figure.

Reaction score
Got this guy today. I agree, swivel elbows need to come back. But that's just me. I have a weird love for swivel elbows because the sculpt is retained and two handed poses are possible. It's the perfect middle ground. :)
I actually find swivel-elbows really bothersome. Mainly because they don't mimic the way a human elbow actually moves. Sure the swivel joint rotates 360º, but there are only a few points along that 360º rotation where the arm doesn't appear fractured. If the articulation is going to be there, then it should at least move in the same way that its human body counterpart moves (or as reasonably close as can be achieved in a tiny action figure). If the elbow articulation is going to be there, then it needs to be a hinge or a balljoint. If it's a choice between swivel elbows and no elbow articulation at all, then I will choose no elbow articulation every single time.

What's interesting about the 5POA vs. SA debate when it comes to this figure is that, if Sarco Plank was made in the same style as all the other super-articulated figures we were getting 5-6 years ago, then he would be completely immobile from the waste down. He would basically be a salt-shaker with an articulated neck and arms.

Reaction score
I actually find swivel-elbows really bothersome. Mainly because they don't mimic the way a human elbow actually moves. Sure the swivel joint rotates 360º, but there are only a few points along that 360º rotation where the arm doesn't appear fractured. If the articulation is going to be there, then it should at least move in the same way that its human body counterpart moves (or as reasonably close as can be achieved in a tiny action figure). If the elbow articulation is going to be there, then it needs to be a hinge or a balljoint. If it's a choice between swivel elbows and no elbow articulation at all, then I will choose no elbow articulation every single time.

What's interesting about the 5POA vs. SA debate when it comes to this figure is that, if Sarco Plank was made in the same style as all the other super-articulated figures we were getting 5-6 years ago, then he would be completely immobile from the waste down. He would basically be a salt-shaker with an articulated neck and arms.
Agreed. Swivel hinge or nothing for me. And if characters have long robes, and they can't (or don't want to) do soft goods, i'm totally cool with the leg articulation they've got on these 5poa figures.

Reaction score
I can only imagine how awful this figure would look would the oversized soft goods it would probably wind up with if it were "SA"

Reaction score
It could've been a lot worse.
From my point of view, it already is. :p

If they had done this guy like some of the other figures from 05, it might have been more versatile. Instead of sculpting the robe as movable legs, it could have been hollow underneath. That way those who chose SG's could have altered it easier. With the standard 5POA, you pretty much have to build it from scratch if you want more articulation.

Reaction score
I can only imagine how awful this figure would look would the oversized soft goods it would probably wind up with if it were "SA"
Zuckuss, his distant OT cousin, in the TAC line turned out great.

Reaction score
While I don't see it becoming rare, the Ezra figure from TFA line is a perfect example; some are packed with his helmet on and some are packed with it in the bubble beside him.
Whichever one becomes the precedent, the other will drop into obscurity (assuming they don't keep both packing variants alive).
This is what happened with the Captain Piett POTF2 figure and many others in the past.
You've got me thinking... up till now i was adamant that i would not touch the Rebels line, but after reading what you've just said, i sort of agree, you may have a point; so, strictly from an investment point-of-view, i will grab him. Thing is, which one do you think will end-up the rarer, helmet on or off? Where i am at the moment, every store is saturated with the helmet off version.