Saga Legends - General Toy Discussion Thread

GNT

Reaction score
So what does everyone think of these extremely cheap looking figures? Worth buying?

Reaction score
I love the Vader. Will be interested in seeing other OT figures as they come down the pipe.

Super Kennery toys, which I really dig.

Reaction score
I'll only be interested in these if we see anything OT related pop up. Might be good for customizing.

Reaction score
The Super Battle Droid looks extremely accurate, if without articulation. I might actually consider picking that up, and possibly the clones and R4-P17 (and as stated in another thread, possibly Obi-Wan), but that's probably about it. Yoda looks kind of cool, if a bit wonky, but Mace looks horrid. Horrid.

Reaction score
From a business standpoint, they're a very gutsy move. Mattel has been putting out figures of this kind for a while (Young Justice, for example), but they certainly weren't $5.99

For a personal perspective, I genuinely dread the future of this idea, and its implications for Sequel trilogy toys.

Reaction score
The astromech R4-P17 looks to have almost no articulation. The legs look molded to the body in the pics I've seen.

kk1

Reaction score
Don't understand the logic of making an inferior sculpt for characters they already have better sculpts of. Is it still really cheaper to make a new less articulated sculpt instead of reusing older better ones?

Reaction score
The astromech R4-P17 looks to have almost no articulation. The legs look molded to the body in the pics I've seen.
I don't think so; they look swivel to me.

Also, there are two redeeming qualities about these figures: the low price, and the fact that their headsculpt resembles the characters almost none, so these figures are perfect for slap-on-a-paint-job-and-done customs.

Reaction score
Don't understand the logic of making an inferior sculpt for characters they already have better sculpts of. Is it still really cheaper to make a new less articulated sculpt instead of reusing older better ones?
This has been covered ad nauseam: The increased number of parts equal way more plastic and assembly time, thus driving up the cost. They needed a low cost solution for kids.

Reaction score
It's fine for a younger audience. My only hopes were that they would have ball jointed heads and that I would be able to scour the line for useable headsculpts but these are all swivel. I guess that would defeat the purpose as these are obviously designed to take a beating.

kk1

Reaction score
This has been covered ad nauseam: The increased number of parts equal way more plastic and assembly time, thus driving up the cost. They needed a low cost solution for kids.
Then why quit making CW figs those had to be cheaper than these.

Reaction score
Then why quit making CW figs those had to be cheaper than these.
Because either Lucasfilm decreed it or the market dried up. And they're not movie figures, which is (and always has been) the main engine for the brand.

But, none of this matter to adult collector who articulation fans - the Black Series 3 3/4" will charge ahead and there will not be a single repack after Wave 2.Either all new figures or retooled existing figures to make them more screen accurate. These are the Hasbro quotes from today, paraphrased.

Reaction score
Because either Lucasfilm decreed it or the market dried up. And they're not movie figures, which is (and always has been) the main engine for the brand.

But, none of this matter to adult collector who articulation fans - the Black Series 3 3/4" will charge ahead and there will not be a single repack after Wave 2.Either all new figures or retooled existing figures to make them more screen accurate. These are the Hasbro quotes from today, paraphrased.
But none of them will be EU!

Reaction score
I know there's still a lot of existing EU that could be covered, but isn't it possible that Lucasfilm/Disney has ordered this to be left alone in the build up to the sequels? I vaguely remember something with pre-'99 EU where no-one was allowed to touch anything Clone Wars related; it could be a similar 'cool down' period ahead of the new films.

Reaction score
No - one. Rewarded for correct grammar with a smiley... :|

Reaction score
I don't think so; they look swivel to me.

Also, there are two redeeming qualities about these figures: the low price, and the fact that their headsculpt resembles the characters almost none, so these figures are perfect for slap-on-a-paint-job-and-done customs.

Yes, I have since seen a pic where the legs are separate. And yes, the Astromech would be a nice model for some cheap customs, though I don't see how this all new sculpt would be cheaper than the BAD sculpt?

I wonder if the new saga legends figures are also slightly smaller?

Reaction score
Not the worst thing in the world. I'm definitely grabbing a few SBDs. I get the appeal of Kenner-style articulation, but I'm probably going to pass on the rest of these. Now, are these meant to be in pegs for major retailers alongside the Black Series, or are they meant for bargain places like Family Dollar? I can see the "low cost kid appeal" strategy backfiring if you have these right next to higher quality figures on the pegs.

Reaction score
OMG
Figures look so bad without elbows......
At least they don't have stupid swivel Elbows. This is much perferable to me.

My thoughts on them are they look great! The army builders esspecially will be good cheap alternatives for people who need some standing guys anyway.

As long as the sculpts are good they are just gonna sit on my shelf anyway, they don't need articulation for me. At least not for what this line is.

Reaction score
I thought I would be ok with them but seeing them in those pictures. I don't think I will even bother. It would have to be a character that the only way it would be made is in this 5 poa for me to pick it up. I don't care if a figure doesn't have the 14 poa or whatever it was up to, but come on. Knees and elbows are definitely needed

Reaction score
I actually like some of the figures. They have a nostalgic, Kenner-flavored charm for me. It's unlikely that I will really buy any of them, but some of those Clonetroopers might be worth a purchase.

I could see army-builders getting into these since they are cheap and many army-builders only display their figures standing in formation anyway.

Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
I would love to support this line if they gave us something worthwhile to buy. It has a Kenner feel to it, and I love that. I loved the Bespin pack and the Luke was outstanding sculpt-wise. I know collectors had a problem with the articulation, fearing death to elbow and knee joints, but that pack had it's fans and had some good parts that customizers can use.

So instead of building on that, we get more ROTS Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Clones. Figures we've had ad nauseum. Please Hasbro, throw in something OT - ANH Leia, some type of Luke, Han, something from the movies that matter. Only then could I get behind this line. There is always hope for wave 2.

I get the feeling even kids are sick of Anakin and Obi Wan by now.

Reaction score
Not the worst thing in the world. I'm definitely grabbing a few SBDs. I get the appeal of Kenner-style articulation, but I'm probably going to pass on the rest of these. Now, are these meant to be in pegs for major retailers alongside the Black Series, or are they meant for bargain places like Family Dollar? I can see the "low cost kid appeal" strategy backfiring if you have these right next to higher quality figures on the pegs.

Mass release/majore retailers. The similarly articulated Ultimate Spiderman figures are already in stores. It seems these will the kid-aimed line once Movie Heroes is done.

And with the Mission 2-pack are two of these style figures for ten dollars.

I hope some those aren't the final sculpts. The battle pack figures from last year at least had decent sculpting. These don't have ball jointed necks and some look like they were casted using old Kenner play-doh molds.

Reaction score
Please Hasbro, throw in something OT - ANH Leia, some type of Luke, Han, something from the movies that matter. Only then could I get behind this line.
I would LOVE to see a plain Stormtrooper in this line, with the accurate sculpting and that neutral standing pose. That would be pretty awesome.

Reaction score
I get the feeling even kids are sick of Anakin and Obi Wan by now.
Considering that they've consistently pegwarmed in nearly every incarnation since 2005, that may be an understatement. It's going to be especially weird this year, because by the time these hit stores ROTS will be eight years old. It would've been justified by ROTS 3D but that's been cancelled (and it looks like Hasbro is going to be left holding the bag on this one), so who exactly is going to buy these?

Reaction score
I would LOVE to see a plain Stormtrooper in this line, with the accurate sculpting and that neutral standing pose. That would be pretty awesome.
I am certain that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a wave or two of OT Legends 5 POAs at SDCC. Farmboy Luke could be fun.

Reaction score
I am certain that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a wave or two of OT Legends 5 POAs at SDCC. Farmboy Luke could be fun.
Yeah, I would actually love to see the original 12 all remade in this new style.

I think Hasbro had to know that there would be some collector interest in this line. At least from us old-timers who have been collecting since 1978.

kk1

Reaction score
So according to the Hasbro press release this line will have Clone Wars figures?

Reaction score
I am for a lower price point line.
I am for a homage to Kenner figures

I am not for a running line that has 5 POA. This line won't get kids excited because without elbows and knees it is going to make it harder for kids to get excited for this. Plenty of kids were upset with the crap that was going into TCW line towards the end, this is even worse than those were

Reaction score
I am for a lower price point line.
I am for a homage to Kenner figures

I am not for a running line that has 5 POA. This line won't get kids excited because without elbows and knees it is going to make it harder for kids to get excited for this. Plenty of kids were upset with the crap that was going into TCW line towards the end, this is even worse than those were
One of the best ways to reduce the price is to reduce the articulation. Fewer parts equals fewer molds and shorter assembly times, thus cheaper production costs.

Reaction score
One of the best ways to reduce the price is to reduce the articulation. Fewer parts equals fewer molds and shorter assembly times, thus cheaper production costs.
I am not arguing with that. However, weren't we at 14 points of articulation in figures now? So why not leave it to arms/legs/elbows/knees? Sure it's 8 points but at least those are more playable since they are supposed to be for kids and not just statutes

Reaction score
Well, I assumed that these would have ball joint heads - disappointed they don't as I would pick up some for customs (though I guess I could just dremel if there's a really good headsculpt in this line. I'm sure I will pick up a few of these since they are cheap and some of them look alright, but I am a bit disappointed in the aesthetics of them. The 5 poa sculpts from the battlepacks last year looked much better.

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of the painted faces, but I'd love to see a Rebel Fleet Trooper and a Death Squad Commander/Death Star Trooper/Imperial Navy Commander offered in this line.

As it stands right now, I'm not interested in any of the new SAGA Legends figures that have been shown so far.

I don't understand why Hasbro is so Prequel Trilogy focused with the kid targeted lines.

John

Reaction score
To be fair, I think these were probably all in development when AOTC and ROTS were supposed to be hitting right when this line would hit retail, so they were probably too far along with these to switch the lineup for the first wave. I assume that's why they are so prequel based.

Reaction score
Doing a major purge of my collection for family and personal taste reasons however I love the homage to the 5 poa vintage figures.

Also for those wanting or curious about a Stormtrooper in this line check the box for the vintage package Slave 1. It looks like two Stormtroopers (straight armed) are holding the Han Solo in Carbonite.