S3 TCW #22 - WOOKIEE HUNT - 04/01/11

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Clone Wars Episode Guide: Wookiee Hunt

"A great student is what the teacher hopes to be."

Synopsis: As Ahsoka and her allies struggle to evade the Trandoshan hunters, their efforts receive an unexpected boost when a new captive -- Chewbacca the Wookiee -- arrives.

Director: Dave Filoni
Writer: Bonnie Mark
Key Characters: Ahsoka Tano, Chewbacca
Key Locales: Wasskah, Coruscant

Kyle Newman and Paul Bateman join us as we put the wraps on Season 3 of The Clone Wars with our discussion of the final two episodes, Padawan Lost and Wookiee Hunt. As the dust begins to settle, we are left asking... were secrets revealed?

Click here to listen!

Panelists:
Jason Swank
Jimmy Mac
Kyle Newman
Paul Bateman

Reaction score
Awesome episodes!

So many great things. There were so many little easter eggs in the episodes, I almost lost count. My favorites were the KOTOR Mando helmet and the Indiana Jones crystal skull.

Awesome ending to a great season!

Do it the Wookiee way!!!

Reaction score
Murray1134 said:
Awesome episodes!

So many great things. There were so many little easter eggs in the episodes, I almost lost count. My favorites were the KOTOR Mando helmet and the Indiana Jones crystal skull.

Awesome ending to a great season!

Do it the Wookiee way!!!
ALWAYS, let the WOOKIEE WIN...

Reaction score
I've gotta go back and watch for all the easter eggs. The backgrounds and environments were so rich in these episodes. Ultra realistic. or better...

Reaction score
Was anyone else disappointed? The last episode of a lackluster season about Ahsoka getting captured and hunted? Really? That needs to be a 2 part episode and the season finale? Didn't that happen to the Super Friends, Fantastic Four, Transformers, & the Star Trek crew? What was the point of having Chewbacca in it? Filoni said that they needed a special story that was just right to bring him in. This story? I was hoping we'd see Kashykk and maybe how Yoda begins his "good relations" with the wookies. This had nothing to do with the war. Cool episode but not what I would have liked. I think they dropped the ball. Actually, several times this season.

Reaction score
no, was not disappointed. Loved the episodes. I feel TCW doesn't need some grandiose cliff hanger ending to a season. The previous season finales were not anything huge either so why would this season be any different? Loved seeing Ahsoka kicking ass by herself and with Chewbacca. The Trandoshans reminded me of Predators, hunting down challenging prey. Though this episode had nothing to do with the Clone War at large, it was a step in the development of Ahsoka as a character. Having Chewbacca in the episode was just a bonus, Wookies and Trandoshans are mortal enemies and if Trandoshans like to hunt challenging prey, I can't think of any better prey than a Wookie!

Reaction score
gonzofortoys said:
Was anyone else disappointed? The last episode of a lackluster season about Ahsoka getting captured and hunted? Really? That needs to be a 2 part episode and the season finale? Didn't that happen to the Super Friends, Fantastic Four, Transformers, & the Star Trek crew? What was the point of having Chewbacca in it? Filoni said that they needed a special story that was just right to bring him in. This story? I was hoping we'd see Kashykk and maybe how Yoda begins his "good relations" with the wookies. This had nothing to do with the war. Cool episode but not what I would have liked. I think they dropped the ball. Actually, several times this season.
Yes, I gotta say that these episodes felt very light on story/plot/character. The whole story is basically Ahsoka gets captured, runs away, fights, wins. After the depth and atmosphere of the Nightsisters, the bombshells of the Mortis trilogy, and the development of character relationships in the Citadel trilogy, this seemed very simplistic. Which is a pity, because visually it was easily the most impressive we've ever seen TCW. Those backgrounds, cockpits, and vehicles were stunning. And I loved the little birdy creatures. Those kind of charming details are a definite part of Star Wars. But what do we know now that we didn't know before? We know more about Trandoshan culture, but that's about it. It's already been well established that Ahsoka is tough and can be a great leader when she needs to be. We've seen that in plenty of other episodes. And was Chewie at all necessary? As someone else said, something that added background and depth to that Yoda comment in Ep III would have been a cooler idea.

What I'm hoping is that we'll get more Nightsisters/Mortis type episodes that teach us things we didn't know about the characters, and about the GFFA in general. Things that change how we see the characters and universe. Something very positive is that Dave Filoni said that these episodes indicate the visual level they'll be capable of in season 4, and that's very exciting.

Reaction score
Loved the episode. Was great seeing chewy. Man doe sclone wars ever borrow alot of stuff..Battlestar, Godzilla, Predators. Ah well, maybe its a homage. Nonetheless, great episode and looking forward to next season. LOL at chewi falling

Reaction score
Mark it down - "Do It The Wookiee Way" will become an internet slogan phenom and Twitter hashtag trending topic in no time.

Reaction score
I just ordered my Ipad, and at the apple store, you can get a free engraving in the back.
Mine says: Let the Wookie win.

Reaction score
deskvader1 said:
Loved the episode. Was great seeing chewy. Man doe sclone wars ever borrow alot of stuff..Battlestar, Godzilla, Predators. Ah well, maybe its a homage. Nonetheless, great episode and looking forward to next season. LOL at chewi falling
oh yes, they do many homages to other films/shows. my favorite was the episode "Bounty Hunters" where it was a straight homage to Seven Samurai they even dedicated the episode to Akira Kurosawa. The episode where Ahsoka loses her lightsaber is also an homage to the Kurosawa film "The Stray Dog", they even had a "zombie" episode.

And I see where some people might have been disappointed in these last 2 episodes if they don't really care for Ahsoka. I think her character has progressed the most in the series. I know there has to be others out there that actually like Ahsoka.

Was Chewbacca necessary in the episode?? I think so. If you're going to cast a wookie, might as well be a Wookie we all know and love. We really haven't seen any Wookies in TCW up until this episode and it bring a great backstory on how Chewbacca and the rest of the Wookies become introduced to Yoda and the war in the last scene of the episode. Oh and when the Wookies came in with the Bounty Hunters to rescue Chewbacca.... I was so stoked!

Reaction score
tooschway said:
Was Chewbacca necessary in the episode?? I think so. If you're going to cast a wookie, might as well be a Wookie we all know and love. We really haven't seen any Wookies in TCW up until this episode and it bring a great backstory on how Chewbacca and the rest of the Wookies become introduced to Yoda and the war in the last scene of the episode. Oh and when the Wookies came in with the Bounty Hunters to rescue Chewbacca.... I was so stoked!
Good point. We do want to see Wookies, and it's better to have Chewie than a random.

Reaction score
A very enjoyable end to the season. I have yet to be disappointed with a season finale. Was it as great as the last nine? Possibly not but I would still rank these close to those. I know its an old observation but I continue to be blown away but the level of detail they continue to add with each episode's animation.

Was Chewbacca wasted in this episode? Well other than Chewie can never really be wasted in anything I truly do not think he was. If this was a throw away part in a one time episode maybe. But I don't think you spend that much time building resources to animate Wookies and only use Chewie in one episode. I think this was our grand introduction of Chewbacca to the Star Wars Saga. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of our favorite Fuzzball in the last two to three seasons of the series.

Rating (Scale still broken--working on a new one for next season)

I believe we are now past the half way point.
Season 3 has changed how we have viewed the Force, our view on certain relationships (Anakin/Tarkin), it has set up some exciting possibilities (Maul alive?!?!), and how we all relate to the troops (Especially Domino Squad). The narrative is set and we our now at the top of mountain. Its all down hill from here as we rush head first into Revenge of the Sith. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reaction score
Yes Chewbacca was 100% necessary!

Tarfful and the other Wookies were huge bonuses! And Sugi was a GREAT additional cameo (NOW can we get a figure of her!?)

Reaction score
I was not the least bit disappointed in this episode. It was visually stunning, with amazing sound and classic JW music. But I thought the story was well done too, (if not a bit dark, but I'm ok with that)
I thought this was a good place to spotlight Chewie. Not only did it show his power, and raw Wookiee rage, but it also showed his mechanical prowess and intelligence. When he was making his ET phone home devise out of the broken parts of the ship while eating Reese's Pieces, it reminded me of him working on the Falcon in Empire.
And the episode(s) were a good use in the character development of Ahsoka. It seems clear that being Anakin's padawan is really affecting who she will become. And, miraculously, it seems to be a strong, positive, Jedi, who upholds all the codes that she should.

This episode actually turned me a little, into thinking that her fate is, unfortunately, going to have to be death. I don't want to believe it, but what other way could she go? It would really push Anakin that much closer to the dark side. And, I think if she was still around when he finally turns, she would actually be able to bring him back.

A very deep episode that I will go back and watch many times.

Reaction score
In light of all the EU debates recently, it was nice to see another element of the EU "promoted" up to G-level. The Trandoshan/Wookiee fights have been mentioned in several EU sources. Also, there were several nice nods to the Republic Commando video games where you fight Trandoshans and help the Wookiees.

When Ahsoka and the other padawans attack the drop ship, the pilot is using a shotgun type weapon that is almost exactly out of the RC video game, sound effects and all.

Also, I do think Chewie was necessary. This helps to bolster his appearance in ROTS and the wookiee relationship with the Jedi. When Chewie appeared in ANH in the cantina, it always seemed like he and Obi-wan knew something about each other or that Chewie knew who or what Obi-wan really was.

Reaction score
I kinda rolled my eyes about Chewie's inclusion. With the trillions and trillions of people in the galaxy, using the classic characters seems like a shameless nostalgia ploy. However, having shoehorned him into ROTS, I finally appreciated that Chewie in TCW meets and is introduced to Yoda through this event. If Chewie had to be in ROTS, this is as good an intro as any. And it was cool to see him really kick some butt.

Season Two's finale blew my mind. This one was merely fun. Like the first part of the season, servicable, but nowhere near the heights of awesome acheived in Season Two.

Reaction score
Both episodes were excellent! I found the last three before these to be fairly boring, but the season finale brought everything back for me.

There were so many easter eggs that'll I'll have to rewatch several times for sure, but as a Trekkie I loved how one of the Trandoshans was named after the Gorn.

And by the way, did anyone else notice the name of the trandoshan the jedi captured, it was Spock!

Reaction score
cayman_shen said:
I kinda rolled my eyes about Chewie's inclusion. With the trillions and trillions of people in the galaxy, using the classic characters seems like a shameless nostalgia ploy. However, having shoehorned him into ROTS, I finally appreciated that Chewie in TCW meets and is introduced to Yoda through this event. If Chewie had to be in ROTS, this is as good an intro as any. And it was cool to see him really kick some butt.

Season Two's finale blew my mind. This one was merely fun. Like the first part of the season, servicable, but nowhere near the heights of awesome acheived in Season Two.
Your point is certainly valid, and the coincidental meetings between the prequels and original trilogy certainly take on a "Lost" kind of connected quality to a galactic extreme.

But what if this crash (and of course this is a pure example of ret-conning) has a direct correlation to Chewie's relationship with Yoda, which may have a correlation to a possible (according to EU) enslaving of Chewie, which could have a direct correlation to Han (again EU) saving Chewie, who was in Star Wars with Garrick Hagon, who was in "Balto" with Kevin Bacon

Reaction score
grievousfan91 said:
And by the way, did anyone else notice the name of the trandoshan the jedi captured, it was Spock!
Maybe not, according to wookieepedia, his name was smug. Well I guess that is the more logical of the two possibilities eh?

Reaction score
If Chewie re-appears in the serie, i hope he will NOT work with Anakin.
It's bad enough that Vaders knows R2 and build 3P0, if he was to be friends with Chewie, the Cloud City chapter would just be silly to me.

Hey there Chewie. Mmm... let me know if you need help repairing 3P0. I built him, you know. Alright, later bro, i gota go torture Han.

Reaction score
Venar said:
If Chewie re-appears in the serie, i hope he will NOT work with Anakin.
It's bad enough that Vaders knows R2 and build 3P0, if he was to be friends with Chewie, the Cloud City chapter would just be silly to me.

Hey there Chewie. Mmm... let me know if you need help repairing 3P0. I built him, you know. Alright, later bro, i gota go torture Han.
It does add more weight to the scene in the carbon freezing chamber where Vader pushes Boba Fett's gun down.

Reaction score
^
You kidding me? Vader was just concerned that Fett might miss or that his blast might somehow be deflected and damage the carbin freezing facility which would have screwed up his plans for Luke.

At least that is what I always thought. Why would Vader give a crap if Fett popped a cap in that loudmouth wookie? Maybe because he knows that a long time ago in another life that very Wookie saved the life of someone he once cared very much for. So he is giving Chewie a one time pass one on the house to repay that debt. Perhaps there is more “good” in Vader than we ever realized.

Reaction score
Loved these episodes. One thing I'm surprised that no one is talking about (with the exception of a brief mention in Eric's Review) is that Ahsoka was able communicate so easily with the Wookiees. When did she learn how to do that?

Reaction score
A fantastic end to the season and the visuals on this episode to me took another step forward closely followed by the sound, awesome. I do have two questions/points. 1. Did anyone else notice how small Chewie looked in comparison to the other wookies? Is it just that he is young or is he actually a small wookie? And 2. I wonder what Yoda's smirk was for in the closing shot, was he up to something or just saw more than we did in the outcome?

Can't wait for season 4.

Reaction score
Eric_Geller said:
Garr said:
Loved these episodes. One thing I'm surprised that no one is talking about (with the exception of a brief mention in Eric's Review) is that Ahsoka was able communicate so easily with the Wookiees. When did she learn how to do that?
Here's what Dave said.
I have to respectfully disagree with Dave on that one. Han just understands Chewie's emotes? Bull. Han clearly understood Shyriiwook very well.

Reaction score
This episode was a great season finale if only for one thing: That last scene on the landing pad where Yoda realizes that while his lesson to Anakin through Ahsoka is working, it still has a long way to go.

Reaction score
If the season had started where it had ended, it would have been a much better season.

This two-parter, while it had its share of flaws, was vastly better than anything in the first half of Season 3.

But jeez...these kids survive a Trandoshan nightmare world for who knows how long, and they are just going to end up hacked to pieces by Anakin? There's irony for you.

I'm also not quite sure what it means that these episodes happened just when Dr. McNinja has been doing its dinosaurs hunting humans story arc...

Reaction score
TresobYr said:
But jeez...these kids survive a Trandoshan nightmare world for who knows how long, and they are just going to end up hacked to pieces by Anakin? There's irony for you.
This is where I think we are handicapped as fans by knowing how some of this will turn out. The beauty of Ahsoka being able to emerge from Anakin's shadow and lead people effectively while Anakin still hasn't learned a critical lesson, the failure of which will be the undoing of both him and the Republic.... All of it gets overshadowed by comments like "big deal, the kids all get the Ginsu from Skywalker later."

Seriously?

Reaction score
Womp said:
TresobYr said:
This is where I think we are handicapped as fans by knowing how some of this will turn out. The beauty of Ahsoka being able to emerge from Anakin's shadow and lead people effectively while Anakin still hasn't learned a critical lesson, the failure of which will be the undoing of both him and the Republic.... All of it gets overshadowed by comments like "big deal, the kids all get the Ginsu from Skywalker later."

Seriously?
I think that's part of the intended features of the Clone Wars. Isn't the Imperial occupation precisely what's on everyone's mind during the Battle of Ryloth sequence when the two clones promise the little girl that they'll be coming back?

To have Tarrful in the episode is a clear signifier pointing towards Revenge of the Sith.

And every time Anakin has a hang up about letting people go, it's a set up for his fall to the Dark Side.

Anakin's failure to learn this lesson is precisely why this kids will get chopped up...if they are in fact killed by Vader and not just bumped off by Order 66.

On the other hand, this episode might give us hope that Ahsoka could survive the Purge...she's had experience living on a world where she is actively hunted. Maybe this sets her up that she will take some of the younglings and go into seclusion when the poodoo hits the exhaust turbine.

It would be pretty cool if she seeks out the Wookiees for help and Chewbacca gets captured by the Imperials for aiding her escape...it would tie everything together.

Reaction score
Darth_Engelhast said:
^
You kidding me? Vader was just concerned that Fett might miss or that his blast might somehow be deflected and damage the carbin freezing facility which would have screwed up his plans for Luke.

At least that is what I always thought. Why would Vader give a crap if Fett popped a cap in that loudmouth wookie? Maybe because he knows that a long time ago in another life that very Wookie saved the life of someone he once cared very much for. So he is giving Chewie a one time pass one on the house to repay that debt. Perhaps there is more “good” in Vader than we ever realized.
That's certainly a possibility in a post-prequel world. Pre-prequel, I always assumed that Vader simply wanted Chewie alive as a back-up plan in case this one didn't work.

Plus, I thought he needed no one to die until Luke got there. Otherwise, Luke's vision of the future might have been more distinct. If Luke has a vision of his friends dying, then there is no reason to leave Dagobah- it's a doomed mission and the best he can do is train longer.

If he only sees them suffer, then there is hope he can rescue them.

Vader needs to keep Chewie and Leia alive to keep the future less certain. Remember, he doesn't ask Han any questions. He only tortures Han so that Luke will telepathically feel his suffering during meditation. (Which makes you wonder why Jedi never use telepathy in the Clone Wars...think of all the times it would have made things easier if Ahsoka just transmitted impressions of her whereabouts to Anakin.)

He's already taking a risk freezing Solo--but he seems confident in the otherwise crude facilities.

Reaction score
TresobYr said:
Darth_Engelhast said:
^

That's certainly a possibility in a post-prequel world. Pre-prequel, I always assumed that Vader simply wanted Chewie alive as a back-up plan in case this one didn't work.

Plus, I thought he needed no one to die until Luke got there. Otherwise, Luke's vision of the future might have been more distinct. If Luke has a vision of his friends dying, then there is no reason to leave Dagobah- it's a doomed mission and the best he can do is train longer.

If he only sees them suffer, then there is hope he can rescue them.

Vader needs to keep Chewie and Leia alive to keep the future less certain. Remember, he doesn't ask Han any questions. He only tortures Han so that Luke will telepathically feel his suffering during meditation. (Which makes you wonder why Jedi never use telepathy in the Clone Wars...think of all the times it would have made things easier if Ahsoka just transmitted impressions of her whereabouts to Anakin.)

He's already taking a risk freezing Solo--but he seems confident in the otherwise crude facilities.
It's been a while since I've seen Empire, but didn't Vader alter the deal to take Leia and Chewie with him? If Fett shot Chewie, or even worse, missed and hit Leia, Vader's plans for them would be ruined.

We don't know what's going on in his noggin, which is part of the character's beauty. Plans within plans within plans.

Reaction score
Vader altered the deal after Luke arrived on Cloud City. It was too late for Luke to turn back.

Reaction score
I thought the inclusion of Chewbacca in this episode of The Clone Wars was great! In the movies, you have to admit, Chewie doesn't really do much. He's always there helping out, but seems to be just "along for the ride". Although, he does step up a little in ROTJ.
But in this episode, we get to see Chewie in action! He's making plans, hand to hand fighting with his mortal enemies, and alot more. He makes big contributions and is the difference maker for these Padawans who are slowly dying off and have little of hope of escaping. He is The New Hope of this episode.
It's great character development for Chewie and we get to see a glimpse of why Jabba, and perhaps others, call him "The Mighty Chewbacca".

Reaction score
Does anyone know how and when these younglings got captured? Don't they get masters and become padawans when they're about 13? So do you think they're about 10? I didn't think they left the temple all that much before they had a master, so how did the Trandoshans get them? They couldn't have been stolen before they went to the temple like Cad Bane did because they wouldn't have been nearly as powerful.

Reaction score
I was thinking about the younglings while watching the episode as well. Where are the masters? Are the Jedi actively looking for them?

They called themselves younglings, so I'm guessing they were in the pre-padawan stage. Maybe the Jedi assumed they were dead? Could this be an issue with Jedi being taken hostage by the CIS and other forces?

Reaction score
Murray1134 said:
I was thinking about the younglings while watching the episode as well. Where are the masters? Are the Jedi actively looking for them?

They called themselves younglings, so I'm guessing they were in the pre-padawan stage. Maybe the Jedi assumed they were dead? Could this be an issue with Jedi being taken hostage by the CIS and other forces?
I assumed the were taken during some kind of training mission (field trip?) they took outside the Temple. I'd guess they were reported as MIA; maybe their ship was reported as destroyed, with all hands lost, or maybe the Jedi are actually looking for them. Still, if Anakin was unable to find Ahsoka, there's probably no way to track the younglings either.