S3 TCW #18 - THE CITADEL - 02/18/11

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Clone Wars Episode Guide: The Citadel

"Adaptation is the key to survival."

Synopsis: With help from R2-D2 and a squad of captured battle droids, an elite team of Jedi and clone troopers led by Obi-Wan and Anakin attempt to free a captive Jedi general, Even Piell, from an impenetrable prison.

Director: Kyle Dunlevy
Writer: Matt Michnovetz
Key Characters: Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, R2-D2, Osi Sobeck, Even Piell, Captain Tarkin, Clone Captain Rex, Clone Commander Cody, Echo, Fives
Key Locales: Lola Sayu

Listen in as 501st members Dean Plantamura and Scott Will join us in a discussion of Ugnaughts, carbon freezing, Anakin's protection of Ahsoka, and of course the familiar foul stench of Captain Tarkin as we take a closer look at The Citadel.

Click here to listen!

Panelists:
Jason Swank
Jimmy Mac
Dean Plantamura
Scott Will

Reaction score
Pretty excited about this. Even P. is one of the few things about TPM I really liked. He just looks so hardcore with that topknot and that scar! Also, as good as Mortis was, it'll be a relief to get away from ponderous pseudo philosophy and back into some straightforward adventure!

Reaction score
My first reaction: "cool, carbonite freezing!"
Then, my second reaction: "really? carbonite? is that necessary?"

It's like i have 2 persona. My fanboy part loves Star Wars references, and the Han in carbonite scene is iconic.
But, part of me is getting a bit annoyed by all the re-use of Star Wars stuff, like Hoth, Rancors, tatooine, Cloud City, jawas, etc, as if in this giant galaxy, there is no originality.
And i always had the notion, from the Vader/Lando dialogue, that is was a unique, unusual proceedure on a living beeing.

But with the E-U, it's now "the way" to carry prosonners...

Reaction score
I'm very ecstatic to see Even Piell on TCW, I've been wishing for him to make an appearance since early on, I'm glad it's happening.

Reaction score
Simply the most fun I've had watching The Clone Wars in a long time. Yes, the Motirs trilogy was great and the Nightsisters trilogy was awesome but this was good ol' fashioned Star Wars FUN!

My favorite part: Anakin and Tarkin have never gotten along!

Reaction score
One of the most impressive things about tonight's episode is that they actually remembered AND made in-story use of Anakin's robotic hand!

Reaction score
This was by far my very favorite episode of season 3.

Stang it, this might be one of my favorites of this whole series. I'll be watching it a few more times this weekend, I loved every second of it (even the carbon freeze was a-ok with me afterall).

Reaction score
This episode was great! I loved Mortis and the Nightsisters/Savage Oppress Arcs but it's nice to get back to a bit more of a simple "storm the castle, save the prisoners" type of story.

Too many OT homages to count. I have to admit I was expecting a bit more borrowed dialogue when Tarkin and <s>Vader</s> Anakin were talking.

Great action, but what was up with the Warden? He seemed a little bit too cartoony, maybe it was just the voice. Maybe with some more time I'll warm up to him more.

This was a great action filled episode and how great was it seeing Echo and Fives again?

Did I mention it was great?

Reaction score
A great return to the action in the classical adventure style of Star Wars. The Mortis trilogy was great with the philosophical debate, however it did strain everyone. Now that we seem to understand what the Mortis trilogy means I think it is great we are moving forward with an episode as great as this one.

I had no problem with the use of carbonite. Firstly, as per Empire Strikes Back it seems to be at least known to Vader and C-3PO (perhaps C-3PO knows from general knowledge and not necessarily memory). So it seems to be an idea of Anakin’s which he once again uses in TESB. The only reason he needed to test it was because the Bespin facility was crude and as such probably posed a risk to Luke and Han… the one seen in this episode is no doubt a high quality system given it is in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Makes perfect sense to me.

I really like the idea of the Citadel. It’s fascinating that this facility was created to hold Jedi in case ‘any of them lost their way’. It also had fantastical take on World War 2 concentration and prisoner of war camps… I think it would be a good move by The Clone Wars team to perhaps introduce Confederate Extermination Camps; it would give the Separatists a more ‘criminal’ edge. The architecture of the citadel also seemed to be a noticeable older rendition of the Republic and Imperial style used on the Star Destroyers and Death Star, which is really cool.

Master Piell; simply awesome accent and characterisation (was it Russian or Italian, I can’t quite tell). I never really liked the character, however as so often happens in The Clone Wars I now really like the character.

The same can be said for Tarkin; although I already liked the character I think they did a magnificent job of recreating it with respect to Cushing’s original performance. It is obvious he is a competent and outspoken officer, and I think it melds well with the fact he will later transform into one of the chief Imperial thugs later on. It was also cool to see him to speak to Obi-Wan directly since it gives the scene in ANH a lot more weight given that he actually knew Obi-Wan. And I don’t care what others say; his accent was quintessentially British.

I thought it was cool that R2 got his own ‘military unit’ especially since it was a small squad of battle droids.

I also don’t think Ahsoka being there was unnecessary. It essentially demonstrated that Anakin’s over-protectiveness is sometimes a hindrance; I also thought it further developed the character of Ahsoka somewhat, now questioning Anakin’s methods even more.

Looking forward to the other two parts of this arc.

9/10

Reaction score
would anyone like to see Han Solo show up as a teenager and explore his back story? You have to know it was no accident that Obi picked him to take them to Alderaan. Han seems to be only major character with no connection to the prequels or the clone wars.

Reaction score
Loved this episode. This is what the series needs more of IMHO. It was just good old-fashioned Star Wars fun. I actually laughed out loud when the magnetic ceiling pulled Anakin off the floor.

I think Anakin being over protective of Ahsoka a result of her near death experience on Mortis? I think his attachment to her may be a strong clue to her ultimate fate. I think she is going to request another master because Anakin’s inability to instruct her fairly.

One of the best episodes of the series by far. I don’t know how they are going to stretch this out into two more episodes but I can’t wait to see more.

Reaction score
spawn44 said:
would anyone like to see Han Solo show up as a teenager and explore his back story? You have to know it was no accident that Obi picked him to take them to Alderaan. Han seems to be only major character with no connection to the prequels or the clone wars.
Han's connection to the prequels is Chewbacca. That is all the connection there need be. Obi-Wan may have picked Chewie out because he recognized him but I don't know if Chewie recognized Obi-Wan because he was much much older than he was when they may have met during the Clone Wars.

Keep Han out of the Clone Wars please.

Reaction score
Gaaaaaah!

I can't believe it ended! I was totally into it, and then, bam. End of episode. Dang!

At first, after the two-pronged scorching that was the Nightsisters and Mortis, I thought this was going to seem extremely insignificant in comparison. Nope!! It was lighter, but totally great. Couldn't help but love all the Ep IV detention level references, from the cells to the security cameras, etc. Awesome.

I totally love the ARC troopers. Not being a big fan of Ep II, the phase one clone designs can't help but bring back less than stellar memories , but when I see that classic almost-stormtrooper helmet, it's a bucket of win all the way. It just looks COOL. Master Piell was great, and I can tell their going to have a LOT of fun with the Tarkin/Anakin relationship. Can't wait. Looks like the Anakin/Ahsoka relationship is in for some changes too.

I agreed with what someone else said though, in that the warden, and especially the voice, was way too cartoony. It didn't work for me at all.

Anyway, amazing, creative action scenes and fight choreography, cool un-forced OT references, some great character moments, great new commando droids, and plenty of moving hair. Y'know, it really did make a difference, so whatever they spent on getting hair to move was worth it.

Great episode.

Reaction score
DarthDuck415 said:
Simply the most fun I've had watching The Clone Wars in a long time. Yes, the Motirs trilogy was great and the Nightsisters trilogy was awesome but this was good ol' fashioned Star Wars FUN!

My favorite part: Anakin and Tarkin have never gotten along!
I agree I had a blast watching this episode. I never laughed so hard at legit Star Wars before. The look Anakin gives Ahsoka during that classic 'what are YOU doing here' bit killed me.

Tarkin and Anakin together didn't really click for me yet, but what did was Tarkin and Obi Wan's interaction. I suddenly and violently had a flashback to Tarkin on the Deathstar "Obi Wan Kenobi? Here? He must not leave"
I always wondered how famous Obi Wan was that this old bureaucrat on a secret station would know who he is 20 years later. The fact that he knew him personally gave me chills!

Reaction score
"Obi-Wan Kenobi, here? Surely he must be dead by now." - Tarkin to SkyVader on the Death Star

That scene has a whole new and profound meaning now. I loved seeing his first meeting with the iconic old Jedi from ANH. Now this raises the question in mind, something that has NEVER occured to me before this episode: Does Grand Moff Tarkin of the Empire KNOW that Sith Lord Darth Vader is the fallen Anakin Skywalker!?

Reaction score
spawn44 said:
Han Solo almost showed up as a young boy on Kashyyyk in ROTS. He was in the script at one point, thankfully he was cut out.

Personally, I don't think he needs to be there any earlier than ANH.

Reaction score
Wookie_inked said:
Now this raises the question in mind, something that has NEVER occured to me before this episode: Does Grand Moff Tarkin of the Empire KNOW that Sith Lord Darth Vader is the fallen Anakin Skywalker!?
I don't think so. I could be wrong, its happened before. But recently in the first issue of Darth Vader and the Lost Commander, Tarkin doesn't seem to be aware who Vader really is.

Reaction score
Anyone else think Tarkin is up to something? His insistence that they not split up was kinda strange. I kinda think the whole capture of Master Piell was all a set up to draw more Jedi into a trap and Tarkin was in on it all along. Perhaps he is secretly following the orders of Palpatine directly. I wonder if Tarkin wanted the rescue team to stay together because it would be easier to capture them all if they were all in one place.

Reaction score
Darth_Satanas said:
I agreed with what someone else said though, in that the warden, and especially the voice, was way too cartoony. It didn't work for me at all.
Voice = Caricature of Christopher Walken.

EDIT: Master Kwinn in the EU forum said the warden sounds like Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. That might be closer to the mark than Walken.

Reaction score
A very solid, exciting episode, and I can't wait to see what comes next. I thought they did a very good job with Tarkin's voice (even if I was holding out for Wayne Pygram; oh well). The one thing that bugs me is the sheer idiocy of having a non-locked, non-wired ventilation shaft big enough for a teenager right above the impressively ray-shielded door. I guess they put all that in to justify Ahsoka's presence, but it could have been done better.

And what was the point of that balcony, anyway? Way too convenient. 8/10

Reaction score
A couple thoughts/questions:

1. Ray Shields. I am confused. I thought ray shields stopped light waves, like blaster bolts. And particle shields stopped material particles. Thus, the need to use proton torpedoes on the ray-shielded thermal exhaust port. But in this episode, ray shields temporarily stopped Obi-Wan, et al. from entering the citadel. Shouldn't they be able to walk right through ray shields, just like Luke's proton torpedoes went right through the ones on the Death Star? Please let me know what I am missing.

2. Once the Jedi reached Piell they were ready to escape without going after the other captives. It was only after Piell revealed that his captain had half the nexus coordinates that Obi-Wan and Anakin seemed willing to go rescue Tarkin and the others too. Are the Jedi growing more callous as the war progresses? Or is abandoning once-thought-of "expendable" soldiers just an example of the necessities of war? Have the Jedi strayed too far from their traditional charge and truly belong in the prison designed for those that have lost their way?

Reaction score
youllbedead said:
A couple thoughts/questions:

1. Ray Shields. I am confused. I thought ray shields stopped light waves, like blaster bolts. And particle shields stopped material particles. Thus, the need to use proton torpedoes on the ray-shielded thermal exhaust port. But in this episode, ray shields temporarily stopped Obi-Wan, et al. from entering the citadel. Shouldn't they be able to walk right through ray shields, just like Luke's proton torpedoes went right through the ones on the Death Star? Please let me know what I am missing.
I'd agree the terminolog is confusing, but these were evidently the same kind of shields that kept Obi-Wan from helping Qui-Gon in his battle with Maul, so at least their function is consistent in the SW universe.

youllbedead said:
2. Once the Jedi reached Piell they were ready to escape without going after the other captives. It was only after Piell revealed that his captain had half the nexus coordinates that Obi-Wan and Anakin seemed willing to go rescue Tarkin and the others too. Are the Jedi growing more callous as the war progresses? Or is abandoning once-thought-of "expendable" soldiers just an example of the necessities of war? Have the Jedi strayed too far from their traditional charge and truly belong in the prison designed for those that have lost their way?
You got a good point. I can only assume that the Jedi believed the rest of the crew was either dead or off-planet, and thus didn't plan for their rescue.

Reaction score
after ROTS, there was a novel called "Rise of the Dark Lord" that traces Vader right after ROTS. One chapter deals with Vader meeting Tarkin aboard a Star Destroyer. It kind of implied that was their 1st meeting.
See the thing we do not know the last scene with Vader and Sidious on the bridge of the Destroyer looking at the Death Star when did that take place?
Anyway back to what I was writing, it implied that this was the 1st meeting between Vader and Tarkin. Tarkin ordered the attack on Kashyyyk and he and Vader came up with the idea of in slaving the Wookies to work on mining metal for the Death Star.

Reaction score
See the thing they never made clear was does any besides Emperor know the true identity of Darth Vader? Vader did say he felt the presences of his old master, and Tarkin then replied the comments about Obi...

Reaction score
It's possible that Tarkin only thought it was his first meeting with Vader -- i.e. he didn't know it was the former Master Skywalker at the time. Later he learned that he had worked with Obi-Wan's former apprentice, hence leading to his comments in the conference room.

Reaction score
spawn44 said:
See the thing they never made clear was does any besides Emperor know the true identity of Darth Vader? Vader did say he felt the presences of his old master, and Tarkin then replied the comments about Obi...
I think that it's been implied that Anakin was said to have died during the attack on the Jedi Temple and that Darth Vader is a different person.

Reaction score
Yeah, I think someone high up, like Tarkin might know who Vader really is, but in general, it's a closely guarded secret.

Reaction score
^
VADER: He is here...

TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?

VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the
presence of my old master.

TARKIN: Surely he must be dead by now.

VADER: Don't underestimate the power of the Force.

TARKIN: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.
You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

...makes me think Tarkin knows Vader is/was Anakin.

Reaction score
youllbedead said:
^
VADER: He is here...

TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?

VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the
presence of my old master.

TARKIN: Surely he must be dead by now.

VADER: Don't underestimate the power of the Force.

TARKIN: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.
You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

...makes me think Tarkin knows Vader is/was Anakin.
Unless Tarkin's connection between "Jedi" and "their religion" is referring to the Force in general -- as if he believes that both Jedi and dark Force-using warriors like Vader subscribe to the same "religion" (i.e. the Force).

Reaction score
^ If Tarkin is lumping Jedi and Sith together, then "last of" conspicuously ignores Palpatine. Unless Tarkin doesn't know about Palp's Sithiness, of course.

Reaction score
youllbedead said:
^ If Tarkin is lumping Jedi and Sith together, then "last of" conspicuously ignores Palpatine. Unless Tarkin doesn't know about Palp's Sithiness, of course.
Right, and I think that's possible.

Reaction score
Eric_Geller said:
Eric, you should put a complaint in the starwars.com box to put the commentary up on the next day like they used to. It would be nice if you could include it or might answer some of your question before the tfn review goes up. And since the official fan community review goes up Pablo should have released all the material, right?

Just from a marketing aspect, to not include the commentary when the full guide goes up is a risk that more people will not come back to view the same page again than will return several times to check to bump the traffic counter up. I bet most traffic to the guide is linkbait thru the frontpage or offsite blogs. Not die-hards who keep checking for Dave's video. I wouldn't bank that enough people know or care to come back for it.

Reaction score
I don't know why they decided to switch the commentary release date to Monday, but they're not going to change it back just because I ask them to do so. Besides, Pablo has enough to worry about without me harassing him over that.

Reaction score
Cramer said:
Eric_Geller said:
Eric, you should put a complaint in the starwars.com box to put the commentary up on the next day like they used to. It would be nice if you could include it or might answer some of your question before the tfn review goes up. And since the official fan community review goes up Pablo should have released all the material, right?

Just from a marketing aspect, to not include the commentary when the full guide goes up is a risk that more people will not come back to view the same page again than will return several times to check to bump the traffic counter up. I bet most traffic to the guide is linkbait thru the frontpage or offsite blogs. Not die-hards who keep checking for Dave's video. I wouldn't bank that enough people know or care to come back for it.
"I care"

Reaction score
Giggity! Giggity! What a great episode. The carbonite trick, R2's squad, Even Piell in action (new saber design for the prop makers among us?), seeing the phase 2 clones again, no stupid senate/Padme crap, nothing confusing or portentous...just a sold, fun episode. 9.5/10

Reaction score
It would have been funny if the magnetic ceiling had pulled all of the clone's helmets off of their heads. Also Ahsoka has a metal belt buckle and other metal items on her belt, shouldn’t her dress been pulled off her body.

"I'm having a wardrobe malfunction master."

Reaction score
Darth_Engelhast said:
It would have been funny if the magnetic ceiling had pulled all of the clone's helmets off of their heads. Also Ahsoka has a metal belt buckle and other metal items on her belt, shouldn’t her dress been pulled off her body.

"I'm having a wardrobe malfunction master."
I would feel dirty just explaining why this wouldn't happen.