Rude to alexa

Reaction score
I signed up for the Sirius xm streaming so i can listen to the nhl channel. It came with a free alexa dot 3 from amazon

I like it, but i feel like I am being rude to alexa.
Alexa play nhl on xm
Alexa weather
Etc.

I know its doesn't have feelings but I feel rude demanding this and that, never saying please and thank you

:)

Reaction score
Well with the way it's designed all you can do is give voice commands, be cause that what the AI responds to. For every thing you ask you have to say Alexa first, and I'm not sure how "thank you" out of contest will be met.

Although it is suggested to play around with all sorts of questions etc. One time when was as in a goofy mood I said "Alexa, initiate Self destruct sequence". And she responded "unable to initiate self destruct, command code not recognized". So they certainly thought of some niche things.

Reaction score
Well with the way it's designed all you can do is give voice commands, be cause that what the AI responds to. For every thing you ask you have to say Alexa first, and I'm not sure how "thank you" out of contest will be met.

Although it is suggested to play around with all sorts of questions etc. One time when was as in a goofy mood I said "Alexa, initiate Self destruct sequence". And she responded "unable to initiate self destruct, command code not recognized". So they certainly thought of some niche things.
I don't know why it popped to mind, but I'd suggest trying the Enterprise destruct codes from Star Trek III.

Reaction score
I'm going to re-work that post to:
"Would someone who has an Alexa please try initiating self-destruct using the self-destruct codes for the Enterprise from Star Trek III."

*waits patiently*

Reaction score
Open the pod bay doors.......

Look up funny things to ask alexa.

Reaction score
I signed up for the Sirius xm streaming so i can listen to the nhl channel. It came with a free alexa dot 3 from amazon

I like it, but i feel like I am being rude to alexa.
Alexa play nhl on xm
Alexa weather
Etc.

I know its doesn't have feelings but I feel rude demanding this and that, never saying please and thank you

:)
You could try saying "please". That might make you feel better. :) (And it might buy you some time when the electronics take over. 😲)

On the other hand, I don't recall anyone ever saying please to the droids in Star Wars. Unless maybe Han said it sarcastically.

Reaction score
There's a local radio commercial that tells Siri to turn on Alexa and likewise from Alexa. Kinda of funny. Juvenile but still funny.

Reaction score
And it just shows ,we need to get rid of this virus because we're all losing our minds staying at home.

Reaction score
At least we're all damn lucky it wasn't a massive solar flare that wiped out our ability to consume content, then you're really see losing one's mind!

Reaction score
Something is very wrong with the human mind when we start to wonder if we're being rude to an electronic device. There's a real world with real people with real feelings out there. Disconnect from the matrix. :)

Reaction score
My mother-in-law got Alexa, but my missus didn't know what Alexa was, so when she phoned her mother and heard her telling Alexa to shut up, she thought she was being rude to the neighbours 😂

Reaction score
I always say please and thank you to our Alexa. It drives my daughter nuts, so that's a nice bonus. :)

Reaction score
as i have used alexa more, i found that i get more annoyed with it. its getting the channels wrong.

Reaction score
Speaking of that, I really only got it so that i could just use voice commands to listen to music. However, as I see all the potential things that could be used as well. I get kind of excited about the prospect of, like in Trek, just asking the Computer for lights, heat/AC, weather etc. As I always thought that would be cool one day. Now here we are and I find that we argue with that device or even Siri long before Alexa about what were saying.

After ten minutes of trying to turn on/off a light you might as well do it yourself! lol Because you have to state specific room and which light, and anytime during this if you don't say one word right it doesn't work and you have to start over.. With mine I can say "Alexa" "Play XMRadio" and it will play the station I listened to last, but when it comes to turning it off she hasn't been able yet and I have to do it myself. So hit or miss in my case.