RS Prop Masters AT-AT& X-Wing helmets

Reaction score
Is the tie pilot dome bigger or the same size as the x wing?
The xwing looks smaller but they should be the same you would think
Looks great by the way.
Cheers
The TP helmet is HUGE! Definitely bigger than the X-wing helmet. They look like bobbleheads on screen too, so I'm calling it screen accurate ;)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The TP helmet is HUGE! Definitely bigger than the X-wing helmet. They look like bobbleheads on screen too, so I'm calling it screen accurate ;)

yeah as far as the original helmets are concerned, the TIE's are much bigger than the X-Wings. The TIE's share the same left and right hemispheres (the main part of the X-Wing helmet), but to accommodate the Stormtrooper faceplate means the strip between them is much wider. So this (combined with the addition of the 'Hero' Stormtrooper faceplate) makes the TIE a much bigger helmet. Here’s a review here..http://starwarshelmets.com/original-TIE-Pilot-helmet.htm

As far as the RS PropMasters TIE and X-Wing are concerned, they’re probably the most accurate you can get (them and the SDS)

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
I have the Anovos Tie Pilot. That is also huge. Yes, wearing it makes you a walking bobble head. Lol

Reaction score
Got my X-Wing helmet yesterday. Ordered 5th Feb so altogether that's 10 weeks 1 day exactly just to give an idea how long these things take. The longer you wait to order the longer yours might take in their run. I didn't badger them and the day before they shipped they asked if I wanted to buy a stand to go with it, no extra postage.

If you try it on it's a tight fit with the ear pads but too loose without. There's a basic sponge top inside which is removable but it should be about half the size. It's way too big and makes it impossible to wear with it in. My friend tried it and he agreed, but otherwise he thought the fit was perfect for his smaller head. The inner lining is just a thin sponge like material and nothing fancy like the Anovos. The three pads attach to it with velcro. In my opinion they could have done without the lining and just painted it black inside. It wouldn't have made it less comfortable and it makes it quite hot to wear for any length of time. I have no idea what, if anything, was on the inside of the original props. The visor is also attached inside by velcro, and getting this in the right position is the thing which is awkward for anyone who wants to troop in this. I guess it depends on your head size (and I'm not big) but the visor cuts into my nose. But any higher or lower and it doesn't look right. You could always get a silicone nose protector but then that's not movie accurate, depending on how visible it is.

The chin cup doesn't have any padding inside. Don't know if that's good or bad. From initial photos I was slightly concerned about what the paint might be like but I needn't have worried. Mine's got light to medium weathering. It's not as much as Luke's in ANH as that's quite heavily weathered, the ESB even more so. But for personal taste mine's in the Goldilocks Zone. Not too clean or dirty. I thought the crest symbol was hand painted, but it's actually a transfer outlined in black paint or sharpie. The movie also has the thin black outline so it's accurate - I just thought the black would be part of the sticker but it's not. It doesn't look bad at all.

The one minor issue I have is with the transfers on the sides, the black lines. They're on a white background instead of transparent. This means a small part of weathering is therefore covered up by the white part of the sticker. I don't own the EFX or the Anovos so the only comparisons I can make are from photos. But it's worth mentioning that the exact same issue occurs on the Anovos helmet as well - their stickers are also not printed on transparent backgrounds. I'd debating whether or not to use a pencil to try and fix that little bit up but it's not a big deal, I may not even bother.

All in all I'm more than happy with my new bucket. RS Props are said to be doing other runs with other pilot helms such as Biggs etc in the future, and I'd love to buy more if only I had the space. I know the weathering is a bit different on each one they make, so they aren't keeping to a consistent pattern in that respect, it's a little random. Some people have asked for more weathering to match the ESB and apparently they're happy to do it. But mine looks good, it's well made, and according to all the experts around here is the most accurately constructed X-Wing Helmet prop there is. I had no issues at all dealing with RS Props. Only a slight website hiccup when ordering but a quick email sorted that out no problem.

Happy bunny here.

Reaction score
Got my X-Wing helmet yesterday. Ordered 5th Feb so altogether that's 10 weeks 1 day exactly just to give an idea how long these things take. The longer you wait to order the longer yours might take in their run. I didn't badger them and the day before they shipped they asked if I wanted to buy a stand to go with it, no extra postage.

If you try it on it's a tight fit with the ear pads but too loose without. There's a basic sponge top inside which is removable but it should be about half the size. It's way too big and makes it impossible to wear with it in. My friend tried it and he agreed, but otherwise he thought the fit was perfect for his smaller head. The inner lining is just a thin sponge like material and nothing fancy like the Anovos. The three pads attach to it with velcro. In my opinion they could have done without the lining and just painted it black inside. It wouldn't have made it less comfortable and it makes it quite hot to wear for any length of time. I have no idea what, if anything, was on the inside of the original props. The visor is also attached inside by velcro, and getting this in the right position is the thing which is awkward for anyone who wants to troop in this. I guess it depends on your head size (and I'm not big) but the visor cuts into my nose. But any higher or lower and it doesn't look right. You could always get a silicone nose protector but then that's not movie accurate, depending on how visible it is.

The chin cup doesn't have any padding inside. Don't know if that's good or bad. From initial photos I was slightly concerned about what the paint might be like but I needn't have worried. Mine's got light to medium weathering. It's not as much as Luke's in ANH as that's quite heavily weathered, the ESB even more so. But for personal taste mine's in the Goldilocks Zone. Not too clean or dirty. I thought the crest symbol was hand painted, but it's actually a transfer outlined in black paint or sharpie. The movie also has the thin black outline so it's accurate - I just thought the black would be part of the sticker but it's not. It doesn't look bad at all.

The one minor issue I have is with the transfers on the sides, the black lines. They're on a white background instead of transparent. This means a small part of weathering is therefore covered up by the white part of the sticker. I don't own the EFX or the Anovos so the only comparisons I can make are from photos. But it's worth mentioning that the exact same issue occurs on the Anovos helmet as well - their stickers are also not printed on transparent backgrounds. I'd debating whether or not to use a pencil to try and fix that little bit up but it's not a big deal, I may not even bother.

All in all I'm more than happy with my new bucket. RS Props are said to be doing other runs with other pilot helms such as Biggs etc in the future, and I'd love to buy more if only I had the space. I know the weathering is a bit different on each one they make, so they aren't keeping to a consistent pattern in that respect, it's a little random. Some people have asked for more weathering to match the ESB and apparently they're happy to do it. But mine looks good, it's well made, and according to all the experts around here is the most accurately constructed X-Wing Helmet prop there is. I had no issues at all dealing with RS Props. Only a slight website hiccup when ordering but a quick email sorted that out no problem.

Happy bunny here.
Would you mind taking pictures of the Velcro on the visor? My visor is free-floating and it's an issue. Thanks!

Reaction score
Don't wanna remove it if poss as I've just got it in the right place I want. Let's try this photo thing:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0148_a.JPG

Looking up inside the helmet facing forward. You can see the strip at the top of the visor. If yours doesn't have it for some reason I don't think it should be too hard to buy a velcro strip, cut it to the length you want and glue it to the top of the visor.

Reaction score
My visor is free-floating and it's an issue.
So just to be certain, velcro aside, they are all free floating. As is mine. And when the velcro attaches don't expect a perfect fit. These visors were simply never designed for this helmet.

Reaction score
Just so excited. I finally received shipping notification for my RS X Wing! I also added the stand they offer for 20 pounds. Finally !

Reaction score
RS posted on Facebook that they'll be putting up another smaller run of Red 5 X Wing helmets tomorrow for those looking to get one.

Reaction score
The next run of Red 5 helmet is up for sale. Just snagged one. :)
Yeah saw that too. Hope those who wanted one will be able to acquire one. I only read good things of those receiving theirs on Facebook. Mine should be here on Tuesday according to UPS tracking. Yipeeee

Reaction score
Hey Jawa,
Could you do one more pic with both the Wedge and Luke in profile (both facing sideways)? I'd like to get an idea of the size difference, efx vs. RS.
Thanks,
Ben

Reaction score
Hey Jawa,
Could you do one more pic with both the Wedge and Luke in profile (both facing sideways)? I'd like to get an idea of the size difference, efx vs. RS.
Thanks,
Ben

...and Jawa - can you take a photo of the two helmets looking right (ie profile) that’s the biggest giveaway that shows how accurate the RS is -and the EFX isn’t.

youll notice the almost curve-straight-curve on the RS that the originals had. Oh and also a rather nice dent on it near where the Mohawk strip is stuck onto the two sides. It’s there on any quality replica.

Cheers and congrats

Jez

Reaction score
Killing me seeing all these great pics, I paid in full, 5th Feb and not so much as a shipping notice. Must have been bumped into the 2nd run.

Reaction score
The helmets are now back at my hometown. I will be going back there in a couple of days. Will post more pics and angles you guys would like to see in couple days.

Reaction score
...and Jawa - can you take a photo of the two helmets looking right (ie profile) that’s the biggest giveaway that shows how accurate the RS is -and the EFX isn’t.

youll notice the almost curve-straight-curve on the RS that the originals had. Oh and also a rather nice dent on it near where the Mohawk strip is stuck onto the two sides. It’s there on any quality replica.

Cheers and congrats

Jez
Hi BenObi and Jez

I managed to take some side by side comparisons between the eFX Wedge and RS Luke X- Wing helmets.

Looks like the eFX looks bigger overall and most prominent when viewed from the sides.

Reaction score
Good question. Would love to hear from our resident helmet expert, Jez. He has seen screen used ones.

Reaction score
Hi BenObi and Jez

I managed to take some side by side comparisons between the eFX Wedge and RS Luke X- Wing helmets.

Looks like the eFX looks bigger overall and most prominent when viewed from the sides.

Great pics Jawa, to start off I’ll say I’ve only seen the prototype Xwing RS about 4-5 months ago so am basing my opinions on that. However I do have a Biggs helmet on order.

From what I’ve seen theres no competition as the EFX is oversized and very over-sanitised. If you look at that side on photo (with them looking to the right) you will see that the EFX has a very smooth, regular curve. The ANH helmets were not a smooth Curve, as have an almost straight section half way round (like the RS Props has). Just looking at a few measurements of my EFX shows that it’s too wide, that centre strip (which on the originals was a single strip of ABS curved round the helmet to cover the joint between the two hemispheres) is 3-4mm too wide on the EFX, then tapers off - something that didn’t happen on the originals since the strip is a single length cut to the same width.

if you look at your RS you should see a small ding about 18-19cm from the front (curve the tape round the strip, following the arch of the helmet). That’s on EVERY SINGLE ANH Pilot, TIE/AT-AT Helmet I’ve seen and was also on the prototype RS Props - so it should be on yours. It’s by far the most accurate ANH X-Wing Helmet I’ve seen.

Im not knocking the EFX as I love them -I have all three. But it’s an idealised/sanitised version of some random XWing helmet they scanned from the archives.

Cheers

Jez

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great insight Jez! Looking at the overall size of the 2, I was wondering which, eFX or RS got the size correct. My initial thought was probably the APH-6 helmets came in various sizes and the prop makers made more than one molds. Probably 2 (or more??) molds to vac form the various helmets used in the film. And RS is based on a smaller mold while eFX is scanned from an archive helmet derived from a mold of a bigger helmet? Or I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great insight Jez! Looking at the overall size of the 2, I was wondering which, eFX or RS got the size correct. My initial thought was probably the APH-6 helmets came in various sizes and the prop makers made more than one molds. Probably 2 (or more??) molds to vac form the various helmets used in the film. And RS is based on a smaller mold while eFX is scanned from an archive helmet derived from a mold of a bigger helmet? Or I could be wrong.
i need to get my hands on one of the RS helmets so I can do a proper comparison - but the EFX is definitely bigger than any screen-used helmet I’ve seen and has been altered significantly.

Back in 1976 for ANH there was just one set of moulds of the APH-6B and they were provided to Shepperton Design Studios, who then used them for all the X-Wing and TIE vac-formed helmets.

Though I can’t confirm yet, my bet is that the RS will be 1:1 with the screen used. The prototype certainly was.

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
Biggs is most definitely one of the cooler looking X Wing helmets. Would love to add that to the collection too some day! Yeah haven't seen RS offer one yet but they did announce they will be doing other variants like Biggs and Wedge

Last edited:
Reaction score
i need to get my hands on one of the RS helmets so I can do a proper comparison - but the EFX is definitely bigger than any screen-used helmet I’ve seen and has been altered significantly.

Back in 1976 for ANH there was just one set of moulds of the APH-6B and they were provided to Shepperton Design Studios, who then used them for all the X-Wing and TIE vac-formed helmets.

Though I can’t confirm yet, my bet is that the RS will be 1:1 with the screen used. The prototype certainly was.

Cheers

Jez
If mine is same with the RS prototype ( most likely is), then my RS Red 5 is indeed actual prop accurate!

Reaction score
I think you can email them to request a special paint scheme.
They may do that for particular requests. But unsure on things like Biggs, as if I recall someone said on the facebook page they were going to be doing a run of Biggs in the future. If so they may request that people wait for a run they're gonna be doing anyway.

Reaction score
if you look at your RS you should see a small ding about 18-19cm from the front (curve the tape round the strip, following the arch of the helmet). That’s on EVERY SINGLE ANH Pilot, TIE/AT-AT Helmet I’ve seen and was also on the prototype RS Props - so it should be on yours. It’s by far the most accurate ANH X-Wing Helmet I’ve seen.
Not sure I found it. Are you talking along the top of the mohawk itself? Or off to the side?

On mine on the right side there's a slight ding at about "1 o'clock" of the Rebel symbol. It shows up clean white where some weathering didn't quite take, like a little slash mark, slightly raised. That's about 12.5 cm from the front, a thin line just over half a cm long. And just below 6 o'clock of the right symbol there's another just like it.

On the mohawk itself the sides bulge out very slightly about half way along where the sides go into that step. That's closer to 18-19cm but I couldn't see or feel any other real noticable artifact around there.

Reaction score
Here you go....

Cheers
Jez
Thanks for the pointer! No way I would have found it otherwise. On your pic it's quite easily noticeable against the pristine white helmet. But on my helmet it's not. And the dark red doesn't help matters either. In fact it's so small it's just the slightest smooth indentation, I would have dismissed it as just a simple tiny imperfection in the casting process just like those other little imperfections I mentioned earlier (which were bigger) So tiny in fact I highly doubt it would show up on camera at all. I can feel it but only just, the shallowest little dent not even a millimeter. If not for you mentioning this as a thing I'd guess that every helmet would still have unique tiny and virtually unnoticable imperfections such as this even though they're all made identically.

In fact if anything my guess is that it's softer than what it "should" be. I'm assuming your pic is of an original prop (one of the background blue ones in Yavin hangar, hence the smokey visor) which is why it's easier to spot. But since mine obviously isn't an original prop, I don't know how many generations it would be away from one, so I surmise this particular detail may have softened during their construction process. Another possibility may be is that the plastic can bend - it's not tough protective helmet material (which is a good thing when trying to put this over my head with ear pads still attached) and the mohawk strip over the top may have stretched this little detail flatter perhaps when it was glued on. But I'm totally guessing here.

Since you're aiming for a Biggs from these guys see what you think when you get it. Biggs is plain white around that area so it should be easier to see.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(still iffy on this posting pics thing)

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/showfull.php?photo=382626

On my picture you can see the other two small niks I mentioned. They show up a bit thanks to weathering, a line maybe one cm long. The upper line is diagonal and points basically straight to the mark you mentioned. You almost can't see it but there's a little black dirt inside the indentation. But so negligible nobody would otherwise bring it up.

Reaction score
Yes I think I can see it from that photo, you’re right it looks like a small dent so not as defined as on the original (on both the X/Y background helmets - and since it was in the mould it’s also on all the TIE's I’ve seen too), but good to see it there nevertheless.

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
Almost all my prop replicas have had an affiliation with the Empire/Sith, that changed today.
A real treasure from RS Propmasters Luke Skywalker Red Five X-wing helmet. It simply oozes nostalgia and a great addition to my ANH helmet collection.