Royal Starship Droids Battle Pack

Reaction score
The BAD sculpt has crisper panel detail & novelty value but the G9 sculpts still the best.

Reaction score
Most that I can think of would still require a lick of paint here and there to make them accurate, but at the very least a BAD version of R2-C4 can be easily cobbled together using R2-B1's dome and G8's (R5-A7 by another name) body.

That R2-R9 red BAD body opens all kinds of possibilities considering it was reused for R5-X2, a wrecked astro on Coruscant and seemingly a screen accurate ROTS R4-P17, but those would all require repainted domes (well, except the domeless wrecked one).

R2-D2's BAD body also makes a screen accurate R3-T2 slightly easier to custom, but we'd still need that red dome to make him without doing some repainting.
Good ones! I was also thinking Porkins astro is now easier using R2's body and R5-D4's head.

Reaction score
That R2-R9 red BAD body opens all kinds of possibilities considering it was reused for R5-X2, a wrecked astro on Coruscant and seemingly a screen accurate ROTS R4-P17, but those would all require repainted domes (well, except the domeless wrecked one).

R2-D2's BAD body also makes a screen accurate R3-T2 slightly easier to custom, but we'd still need that red dome to make him without doing some repainting.
Well Hasbro definitely needs to make up for that very inaccurate R3-T2 from EE set! Plus it's so easy for them to do now with these BAD molds.

Just wait'll they fix the BaR2-D2 mold, you might change your tune ;)

(yeah, right; they probably don't even think anything's wrong with that mold)
Since they had no idea the helmet on the upcoming 501 Clone was to bulky until it was pointed out, then I highly doubt they're aware of R2's inaccuracies.

Reaction score
All these droids and not a Royal Starship to be found at retail to put them in.

Reaction score

Yeah, it's an interesting paradox. Maybe the Starship will receive limited release as an exclusive? Doubtful, but never say never...

Reaction score
What is wrong with that mold?
Periscope in the front-right (facing R2) wedge, instead of the rear-left wedge. Periscope that, when collapsed (in order to prevent a gaping hole in R2's head), prevents head-turning and prevents 3rd leg being retracted. Garish opening chest-arm panel, better to leave those two arms as non-opening. The only thing they got RIGHT was the shape of the dome and the location of the top nozzle/camera thing on the rear-right wedge instead of the center-right wedge like BAD, G9, and VOTC R2 molds all have (fun fact: the terribly-sculpted VOTC R2 periscope's also in the wrong place, in the left-center wedge. The periscope and upper nozzle should be in the rear wedges, next to each other... CW Artoo's sculpt got that RIGHT. AND they managed to pack in a ton of special features without being dependent on head position or middle leg being up or down). A new BAD torso with panels similar to CW R2, with a grasping arm and computer interface arm, would be fantastic, in addition to a BaR2-shaped headsculpt with the mentioned changes (I understand the periscope's not very practical with the BAD head, of course, but at least the nozzle location being fixed could happen)

Reaction score

Well, there is still one mysterious item in the Walmart Exclusive Discover the Force series that has not yet been revealed. There are 17 in all and we have only seen 16. We will apparently get a look at it at NYTF. By coincidence, DDP did also say that the only things being held back from NYCC's reveals and that we'd have to wait till NYTF to see would be the big ticket items. Coincidence? Maybe, or perhaps there's a Royal Starship on the way? It's just odd to me that if it were coming we wouldn't see it before NYTF along with the rest of the series. NYTF is in Feb. If it is a Royal Starship, why the wait? Maybe there is another event or release plan that Walmart has in mind?

Reaction score
I have all these droids already(plus the other 2 that were in this scene, if Im not mistake) and also have more than enough "harness's" for them all, so this is a nice $25-39 bucks saved!

Reaction score
I have really slowed down collecting, but this set I will pick up for no other reason than it looks good.

pod

Reaction score
I am in for at least 2 of these sets. I love the mix-n-match possibilities! Kinda too bad they didn't put the R5 dome one in this set, and do another unmade TPM droid for Walmart, like R5-X2, or that gray and yellow one from the podrace hangar.

Hopefully Hasbro will eventually do a set featuring one of each dome style: R2, R3, R4, and R5. That will really open the door to some fun custom droid building.

It would also be great if they follow this set's lead and do something similar in the Clone Wars line!

Sweet! Whats the head like inside the remote sculpt, is it attached to the body with with a single shaft like the BAD heads?

I also fitted a salvaged yellow R4-C9 head from Saesee Tiin's Fighter onto a spare R4-D6 body. looks good, but the heads a little squat.

And this reminds me, they need to retool all the fighters so that you can stick a BAD astromech dome on them. Would make for a great additional play feature!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It can only hold 3 anyway, even if they did re-release it.
Unless they refurbish the inside a bit, being a movie year and saving a considerable amount on existing tooling they might change up the insides a little.
They've done it before with ships, so anything could happen.

Reaction score
I've been going through this with my buddy Pod in PMs and thought I'd share what we've found between us. We've been looking at the Royal Starship droids and contrary to my assertion of a week ago that there were just six droids, it appears that there were originally going to be more. While only six appeared on screen, there were indeed eight recharge ports. Pod was saying that in his interviews with film crew astro builder Don Bies, Lucas had asked for seven or eight droids, but decided it would make sense for a couple of the recharge stations in the set to be empty, as if those droids were off doing other tasks around the ship somewhere. It seems Don and his guys built eight nonetheless and there are a few stills that reveal the appearance of the mystery two not seen in the final cut.

First off, here are the six we saw in the film, all of which have designations now and soon figures as well:

But now take a look at this still, which presumably was taken before the final continuity was established for the scene. Two of our six are missing, replaced with two new droids, one on the far left being essentially a version of R2-D2 with blue panels swapped out for black and one just visible on the far right that looks like his buddy next to him R2-R9, but with red panels similarly swapped out for black or perhaps a dark green (hard to say - probably black).

So, if Hasbro really wanted to dig a little deeper and go behind the scenes, they could do two more droids from the Queen's ship, although these didn't actually appear on screen in the end. Here they are again, including a better shot of the droid from far left of the picture above: Mr Black R2-D2.

It's always fun to find new droids in images from the films we thought we knew so well already. Recently Pod posted a new one on his site from ANH. That's a rare find! Check it out if you are an astro fan and haven't already bookmarked his excellent reference site...

Last edited:
Reaction score

I suspect that the two mystery Droids are the result of a photoshop rather than real props, especially the black one that seems to be copied & modified from the R2-R9 next to it. The dirt marks & lighting are the same + the position of the Droid is to far forward with no mat under it's feet.

They should still make them though.:)

Reaction score
Hmm, that's an interesting theory. I was going to disagree, but now that I look again at that guy on the right, I can see the details you're pointing out. It's a compelling argument. You might well be on to something with that. That casts some doubt on the black bodied astromech being an actual prop. That said, we know for a fact that the other guy is a legitimate droid (the R2-D2 with black panels) because we have another picture of that guy, even if the one in the wide image might also be suspect.

Good eyes there Quatermass! I work on Photoshop ten hours a day and I didn't spot those points.

Reaction score
Aren't those photoshopped shots from the Phantom Menace DVD menu screens? Hence why some of the R2 units are doctored and not actually there on set.

Reaction score
That would certainly make sense for the continuity-defying wide shot as it has a few photoshop-suspect areas in it. I don't think it holds true for the others. I confess I didn't ask where Pod got that image.

The independent image of the black R2-D2 droid comes from the new Blueprints book. Here it is, uncropped. This one at least I think we can rely on...

Cool to see a reverse angle on that set too. :)

So, thanks to everyone's input, we might be looking at one new offscreen droid (black R2-D2) and one suspect one (black R2-R9).

Last edited:
Reaction score
See I thought for sure I saw that "black R2" in one of those scenes, because I remember seeing what I thought were two R2 units.
Namely R2, and then just out of frame the "black R2".

I just assumed they were both the same color as if GL needed more Droid for the scene and just doubled up with R2, it is good news to see he's totally a different color than R2 though!

Reaction score
Wasn't there a dropped scene where Jar Jar breaks one of the Droids while messing around? It might be when the photo above was taken.

Reaction score
I'd love this set if it wasn't the BAD body. I don't want holes on the side of my astro droids.

Reaction score
Wasn't there a dropped scene where Jar Jar breaks one of the Droids while messing around? It might be when the photo above was taken.
Psh, I'd rather get blasted by a Trade Federation quad turbolaster cannon than be accidentally broken by some stupid clumsy Gungan.

What a way to go.

Reaction score
A bit of white filler would solve that?
While I'm no stranger to customizing, I've become too old and distracted to do it. The point being, I shouldn't have to do it at all.

I don't understand why Hasbro is using those bodies for main line figures.

Reaction score
While I'm no stranger to customizing, I've become too old and distracted to do it. The point being, I shouldn't have to do it at all.

I don't understand why Hasbro is using those bodies for main line figures.
A lot of collectors like the BADs as it's fun to pull them apart. That said -- I do wish that the extra holes were done away with... They really aren't that interesting to add parts to anyway...

pod

Reaction score
I've been going through this with my buddy Pod in PMs and thought I'd share what we've found between us. We've been looking at the Royal Starship droids and contrary to my assertion of a week ago that there were just six droids, it appears that there were originally going to be more. While only six appeared on screen, there were indeed eight recharge ports. Pod was saying that in his interviews with film crew astro builder Don Bies, Lucas had asked for seven or eight droids, but decided it would make sense for a couple of the recharge stations in the set to be empty, as if those droids were off doing other tasks around the ship somewhere. It seems Don and his guys built eight nonetheless and there are a few stills that reveal the appearance of the mystery two not seen in the final cut.

First off, here are the six we saw in the film, all of which have designations now and soon figures as well:

But now take a look at this still, which presumably was taken before the final continuity was established for the scene. Two of our six are missing, replaced with two new droids, one on the far left being essentially a version of R2-D2 with blue panels swapped out for black and one just visible on the far right that looks like his buddy next to him R2-R9, but with red panels similarly swapped out for black or perhaps a dark green (hard to say - probably black).

So, if Hasbro really wanted to dig a little deeper and go behind the scenes, they could do two more droids from the Queen's ship, although these didn't actually appear on screen in the end. Here they are again, including a better shot of the droid from far left of the picture above: Mr Black R2-D2.

It's always fun to find new droids in images from the films we thought we knew so well already. Recently Pod posted a new one on his site from ANH. That's a rare find! Check it out if you are an astro fan and haven't already bookmarked his excellent reference site...
As far as the shot ^ of the full droid hold, that one was sent in to me a long time ago. I didn't give it any commentary on my site since I really never figured it out when I first got it, but I do like it as it is the *only* pic I have ever found that shows the entire droid hold of the Queen's ship! The black droid on the right does look like a PS number, especially if you look at his right foot and the right foot of the red unit next to him. It's like they're missing it's cover or something? The droid across the way in R2-D2's *final* position doesn't match up the same way however. It shows different shading and angles in a couple of places. It's weird because its horizontal data ports are different colors, one bluish greenish, and one black.

The pic the Rev posted of Ahmed hamming it up is weird not just because of the black R2 in it, but because the position of all of the droids are off compared to how they were in the movie, and I also recall hearing of a cut scene of JJ clowning with the astromechs in the ship. I also believe I have another shot showing this black R2, which I dismissed initially thinking that the black was really the green of R2-A6 poorly reproduced. Funny thing is in both cases I've tried to bring up some green hints in PS by brightening, etc., but it just keeps staying as black.

I'm working on some stuff related to these guys, and will eventually get around to posting them up.

Reaction score
A lot of collectors like the BADs as it's fun to pull them apart. That said -- I do wish that the extra holes were done away with... They really aren't that interesting to add parts to anyway...
While in the beginning I wasn't keen about BAD's being in the main line, mainly because they were free parts included with the figures and hoped they'd stay somehow.

However, I do agree that the lower holes need to be filled in on the main line BADs, because they really serve no purpose for most people.

Outside of that and maybe using a sturdier plastic for the legs, they are pretty cool addition to the line IMO.

They just really need to find a way to finally get R5-X2 out!
If they have to repack the new Jabba along with him, and throw in Weazel to do it, I could go for that as well!

Reaction score
What Hasbro is doing is something I have been complaining about for years. Many other the uniforms/costumes/droids share the same basics. Make one GREAT sculpt then change heads and colors all you want and I will buy them. Is the BAD the best sculpt? That is debateable, but it is cheap to pop out many different droids quickly with a repaint. The same can apply to the 3PO BAD body, the Battle Droids, and all the characters that share the basic 'jumpsuit' uniform that is just a different color.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the great image of that new black R2 unit, I decided to customize him this weekend.
Really pretty easy too w/o paint, I took the dome from R4-K5 and placed it on the R2-T7 body.
What's the best way you've found of taking the head off of an astromech droid? I've wanted to make an R5-D8 for a while, which is just an R5-D4 head on an an R2-D2 body. I've bought a BAD R5-D4 but I managed to mangle an R2-D2 head trying to get it off! I'm going to get this set when it comes out to use the R2-D2 body with the head I already have, but I like your idea of swapping domes to make this black R2 unit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
What's the best way you've found of taking the head off of an astromech droid? I've wanted to make an R5-D8 for a while, which is just an R5-D4 head on an an R2-D2 body. I've bought a BAD R5-D4 but I managed to mangle an R2-D2 head trying to get it off! I'm going to get this set when it comes out to use the R2-D2 body with the head I already have, but I like your idea of swapping domes to make this black R2 unit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have found boiling and popping off the soft rubber legs, then prying open the body through the leg holes, with needle nose pliers works.

Reaction score
Mine as well. I thought of making R5-D8, but instead I think I'll swap R2-D2's and R2-A6's torsos with each other and get two new different looking background astros. I have an extra, R/C R5-X2 head that I'm seriously contemplating swapping onto the B.A.D. R2-R9 body to make a decent R5-X2....

Reaction score
Well the method I used for the black R2 head swap was to take the third leg out, and use a sharp exacto knife to cut the seam apart.
It split apart fairly easy, but the heating method may work better for you.

I have an extra, R/C R5-X2 head that I'm seriously contemplating swapping onto the B.A.D. R2-R9 body to make a decent R5-X2....
Cheater, I had to use the Tin set R9 body!:playful:

Reaction score
Well this is the 2nd thing 2 bring me back 2 collecting little plastic figures :applause:
2 bad it's not out untill Jan. :dejection:
I really hope there'll B more stuph I collect :culpability:
Or it'll B back to 1/64th scale Ponys and such :cupcake:
Spencer Dean Welch II?:>}

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I take it you then have to glue the body back together again when you reattach the other head? I may have to get myself some spare droids and start boiling!

Reaction score
Has anybody got the behind the scenes photo of the freshly painted blue/grey R2-T0 prop? It was one of the first teaser photos released during the making of Episode 1, I cant find it anywhere & its bugging me.

I only saw it once in ether Starburst or Titan's Star Wars Magazine, no idea what issue.

Last edited:

pod

Reaction score
Has anybody got the behind the scenes photo of the freshly painted blue/grey R2-T0 prop? It was one of the first teaser photos released during the making of Episode 1, I cant find it anywhere & its bugging me.

I only saw it once in ether Starburst or Titan's Star Wars Magazine, no idea what issue.
I just put a copy of that image up on my astromech reference page for you.