ROTJ History: Gerald Home's Creature Info.

Reaction score
Re: ROTJ History: Gerald Home\'s Creature Info.

RPSolo said:
Kirk Thatcher also worked on all the Classic Trek movies for ILM. In fact, he is the punk on the bus in Trek IV that Spock gives the neck pinch too. He signed a card for the Trek movies autograph set.

Kirk Thatcher does sign TTM. It's a been a couple of years or so and I lost that address but two come up on whitepages.com

Reaction score

Thanks for the info Guys - and Tim, thanks very much for your kind words. Please give my best to everyone at TeeKay-421 and the Star Wars Fan Club Belgium.

Chris, I was amazed at the Mon Cal in that teaser clip. I've never seen that costume before - it's not like mine or the camouflage Mon Cal costume, both of which you see in my original post. I didn't recognize the "ship" either. Tim tells me it seems to be a Mon Cal A-Wing pilot. He also said there will be a figure of this character coming out.

I don't think this Mon Cal clip was filmed here in the UK, so it could have been filmed in the US. I think this mask, like mine, wasn't articulated for speaking. I can see the person inside the mask is moving his mouth and chin frantically inside the mask, in an effort to make it look like the Mon Cal mouth is speaking. I recognize that, as it's exactly what I did in 1982. It didn't work though - as the mouth wasn't articulated, it simply wasn't possible to make it "speak" convincingly. I'll be fascinated to learn more about this Mon Cal scene when the Blu Ray comes out.

Gerald

Reaction score

I have more NEW Mon Calamari information for you!

Tim Rose just told me that he has at last made contact with Richard Robinson (who I wrote about in earlier posts) and Richard has made some things clear:

1. It is NOT him in the screen left chair during the Battle of Endor scenes in the film (we're talking about the film here, not the stills, in which I'm in the screen left chair). Tim said he now knows he has been wrong all these years thinking Richard was beside him in those scenes.

So that means we can be sure the Mon Cal in the screen left chair during the Battle of Endor in the film is indeed Paul Springer. So hopefully that clears that up!

2. Richard said that "when the lobsters were having a panic attack during one of the war scenes", he recalls that he "was a lobster in the background standing, or rather jumping around". (By "lobster" he obviously means a Mon Calamari.) He also said that he doesn't think he "made it to the poop". By "poop", I think he means poop deck which means...the Bridge. In other words, he wasn't in the Bridge scenes, but rather in the background BEHIND the 5 of us who were in the Bridge scenes: Paul Springer, Tim Rose, Sean Crawford, Tim Dry and myself.

I've just looked at those scenes and you can see at least one small Mon Cal figure in the background. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in B of E photos too.

There you have it. I hope that fills in some more of the jigsaw for you!

Gerald

Reaction score

I hope all the deleted scenes from Jedi on the Home One are in the blu ray set. As well as the scene where Madine takes over the Falcon gunport and shoots down fighters. There's a pic of that in that big Star Wars prop and model book.

Reaction score

Well, I know of at least one Battle of Endor scene that hasn't yet seen the light of day, as you see in this photo:

MCO-Brdg-Battle.jpg

Someone called out directions to us (an assistant, I think). Things like, "There's an explosion out in space and you get thrown around!" "Fall forwards!" "Fall backwards!" It went on for quite a while. I remember feeling dizzy and disoriented afterwards, as we could hardly see anything through the Mon Cal masks.

I've often wondered why none of those shots is in the film, as they could add to the sense of attack. Maybe they looked too chaotic. I'd sure love to see for myself one day.

Gerald

Reaction score

The green Mon Cal pilot clip was awesome, when I saw it, I recalled historically in SW lore that the A-wings were indeed Mon Cal ships, part of their Rebel Alliance contributions along with many of the large ships (like Home One)...very cool to see that older footage matching the existing EU.

Reaction score

John, you have a semi-ignorant Star Wars actor here, wondering what these A-Wings and green Mon Cals are! Do you mean you've seen them on film somewhere before, or read about them in EU literature?

Cheers.

Gerald

(I guess this is a little off-topic, but it is kind of related to photographs.)

Reaction score

This is the A-Wing and it was seen in ROTJ. It is the Corvette of the Rebel Alliance. It is also the fighter that crashes into the bridge of a Star Destroyer, that subsequently crashes into the Death Star in ROTJ.

a-wing.jpg

And this is Hilton McRae in his green A-Wing suit

11773-15886.jpg

Reaction score

Brilliant - thanks for educating me!

And has a Mon Cal in this green suit ever been seen before, on screen or in literature?

Reaction score

Gerald_Home said:
And has a Mon Cal in this green suit ever been seen before, on screen or in literature?

You tell us!
laugh.gif

Lucasfilm has shown a preview of deleted scenes to be included in the upcoming release of SW on Blu-Ray, one of the clips shows a Mon Cal A-wing(?) pilot. Any idea who it was?

moncal.jpg

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, but what I meant was: has anyone ever seen an A-Wing Mon Cal anywhere else besides in the Blu Ray teaser clip? (Sorry I didn't make that clear.)

I did talk about the teaser clip about 5 posts ago. Here's what I said again for anyone who missed it:

"I was amazed at the Mon Cal in that teaser clip. I've never seen that costume before - it's not like mine or the camouflage Mon Cal costume, both of which you see in my original post. I didn't recognize the "ship" either. Tim tells me it seems to be a Mon Cal A-Wing pilot. He also said there will be a figure of this character coming out."

Gerald

Reaction score

No, I cannot recall that specific shot or character (is it in SW Chronicles?) but the green made me think of the A-wing, and film-wise that ship's exclusive to Jedi(as are Mon Cal); I remembered also years ago that the A-wing was a background computer controlled ally ship in N64's Roque Squadron video game (also a playable ship), for the final stage "Battle of Mon Calamari", hence the ship's origin as being from Dac, then from there you can look in numerous SW reference books, and read much on this.

Reaction score

Gerald_Home said:
I did talk about the teaser clip about 5 posts ago.

I completely missed it, sorry!

Reaction score

No worries - it's easy to miss something when so many posts are coming in.

Thanks for the latest green/A-Wing/Mon Cal info, which proves yet again that (outside of what happened during filming in 1982) you guys know much more about all this stuff than we actors do!

Keep those questions coming.

Gerald

Reaction score

well......we know SOME things, but what you might know is what we truly should know,...and not so much the endless fiction, shorts,etc. I would much rather read here about the on-set shenanigans and situations, and the behind-the-scenes experiences, especially in the original trilogy..keep 'em comin' Gerald!

MrT

Reaction score

I have an advance copy of the Blu Ray boxset and having watched the deleted scenes can confirm that the A wing Mon Calamari Pilot is played by Tim Rose in essentially a re-dressed Ackbar mask.

Will have to talk to him about this next time I see him.

You will all see for yourselves soon enough but just thought I would give the heads up.

Reaction score
Hello there,

Long time no speak. I hope all's well with you guys and you're enjoying your Blu Rays. I haven't seen them yet, but several Star Wars fans have told me what's on them - including you Ian, thanks.

Some things to tell you:

- when you send your photos through the post to be signed, please, please, please make sure you pack them so they can't be bent. I recently received a package and saw immediately that what was inside it was crumpled and bent. Part of the problem was that the sender didn't use enough cardboard to ensure the envelope couldn't be bent, and also my thoughtless postman folded the envelope to get it through my letter box, ignoring the "Please don't bend" request. Mind you, the request was very small and written in blue ink, so it was easy to miss. My advice to you is to write in big red letters, "Photos: please don't bend", or something like that. There was a Tessek photo and a multi-signed photo in this recent package and it was heart-breaking to see these things crumpled and bent. So, make sure that never happens to your photos.

- I thought you might like to hear that I visited Dave Prowse a little while ago, and he's recovering very well from his latest operation. The operation was a success and his pain has gone and he's able to walk much better now. He's still recovering and will hopefully be travelling overseas again next year. You can see how well he looks in this photo (we're holding Brazilian Division Garrison 10th anniversary patches):

Dave_Gerald-19-8-11.jpg

Apologies to those of you I missed this summer when I had to cancel several appearances due to work. I've got one more appearance later this year which I'll tell you about when the guest list is complete. It'll be one of my rare US appearances and I'm looking forward to it enormously.

Cheers for now.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

By the way, the extra scene for Sherlock Holmes: a Game of Shadows still hasn't been written, and as the film will be released worldwide in just a few weeks time, we doubt that it's ever going to be written or filmed. Oh well, that's showbiz!

Gerald

Reaction score
Hi Gerald,

many thanks for the info. Great topic since I am a huge fan of the Mon Calamari, the original trilogy and its creatures (they ARE creatures not just pixels). And the design of the Mon Calarari is one of the best of the original trilogy.

As for Graeme Hattrick: He is not a performer anymore, he became a director indeed and did some stuff for the BBC.

The correct name of Hugh Spirit (by the way, the ROTJ credits are full of misspelled names) is Hugh Spight. He is a guy from Wales as far as I know, a few years ago he lived in Germany and I think he still does.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My friend, good to see you here! (I've done some detective work and know who you are.) I remember your Mon Cal photo was one of the first Star Wars photos I ever signed!

There are more and more fans who appreciate the Mon Calamari. In fact, one fan is right now making the first fan-made Mon Calamari Officer mask and costume I have ever seen. The mask is stunning, beautiful and unique. I've been giving tips to the maker on how to make it more comfortable so he can wear it for long periods at conventions. I'll post pictures here when he finishes it. Note this is a Mon Calamari OFFICER costume, not an Ackbar.

And some of you have seen the excellent Mon Calamari and Tessek feature in the recent Star Wars Insider (issue 105 here in the UK, 129 in the US). I hear there might be some follow-up information in a future issue. Good to see us Calamari Men getting some attention at last!

You're right - it is Spight. I'm very good at remembering faces, but I always used to get confused between Hugh Spight and William Todd-Jones, a puppeteer who worked on many sci- fi shows. They're both from Wales and both have curly hair, though Huge is smaller. (By the way, only smaller performers could fit into the Gamorrean Guard costumes, or Pig Guards as we called them at the time. Being 6' tall, I could never have fitted into that costume.)

Cheers.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello, Mr Home! I've just discovered this thread and am delighted to see an original SW Trilogy actor/performer on the forum, and providing so much wonderful inside information about our favorite films! Thank you so much for your interest in the fan community and providing us with reliable facts.

A character I don't believe I've ever seen before (or perhaps have caught a partial glimpse of in rare photos) has caught my eye in one of the pix you previously posted.

Tessek-Oola_defies_Jabba.jpg

Can you you tell us (or have you already?) who the lady between you (Squid Head) and Bib Fortuna is? Was she a performer or an extra? (I've paid attention to your lessons in the differences between the two.) Do we know if her character has a name? Surely she was one of Jabba's dancing girls. She reminds me of 'Diva Shaliqua' from Episode I.

Thanks!

:)

EDIT:

I just discovered a page that lists the character as 'Jess'.

http://slaveleia.wikia.com/wiki/Jess

Never heard of this one. It has another wonderful photo that shows the lady more clearly too. I'd love an action figure of her! Do you know the actress/performer/extra, Mr Home??

370px-Jess_close21.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the kind words.

Sorry, I don't know anything about this character, "Jess". The first photo you posted above was a still, posed photo. She and Mike Carter (Bib Fortuna) were in that position purely for the photo, I think. You should ask him about her: as he was beside her in the other photo too, maybe he spoke to her. She wasn't an actress or part of the performers team, so she must have been an extra. Interesting question though, which I've never been asked before. I'll ask Mike about her next time I see him.

Gerald

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the kind words.

Sorry, I don't know anything about this character, "Jess". The first photo you posted above was a still, posed photo. She and Mike Carter (Bib Fortuna) were in that position purely for the photo, I think. You should ask him about her: as he was beside her in the other photo too, maybe he spoke to her. She wasn't an actress or part of the performers team, so she must have been an extra. Interesting question though, which I've never been asked before. I'll ask Mike about her next time I see him.

Gerald
Thank you! That would be great as I haven't attended conventions in years and wouldn't have an opportunity to ask him, unless he talks to fans online as you do. Although I recall a pleasant encounter with him at SWCII. :)

Reaction score
My friend, good to see you here!

Always a pleasure! I hope to meet you again some day.

Can you you tell us (or have you already?) who the lady between you (Squid Head) and Bib Fortuna is? Was she a performer or an extra? (I've paid attention to your lessons in the differences between the two.) Do we know if her character has a name? Surely she was one of Jabba's dancing girls. She reminds me of 'Diva Shaliqua' from Episode I.

I just discovered a page that lists the character as 'Jess'.

Jess - Slave Leia Wiki

Never heard of this one. It has another wonderful photo that shows the lady more clearly too. I'd love an action figure of her!

The slave girl (or whatever she is) was played by Michele Gruska (it's Michele, not Michelle). She is a singer and did the lyrics on Lapti Nek for the original theatrical version of ROTJ.

Reaction score
The slave girl (or whatever she is) was played by Michele Gruska (it's Michele, not Michelle). She is a singer and did the lyrics on Lapti Nek for the original theatrical version of ROTJ.
That's fascinating. I've never heard about that. I'm thinking she's long overdue for a figure! Thanks a lot. :)

Reaction score
Fascinating info indeed. So she's called Michele Gruska. I'm always amazed at how much you guys know.

I don't remember seeing her on set very much. As she was the singer of Lapti Nek, maybe she was just in this one scene as a kind of cameo appearance. Or it could be that she was more often at the other side of the set from me, in one of the alcoves near Tim Dry and Sean Crawford, where I couldn't see her.

Reaction score
I had never noticed her before when watching ROTJ. I finally watched ROTJ on Blu-Ray last night and saw her for first time. Amazing after watching these films so many times there is still new things to notice.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, i much prefer the version with Gruska's vocals. And i had no idea John Williams son was lead singer of Toto

Reaction score
Don't think she is actually in this shot but she signed it anyway!

Reaction score
I didn't but someone did. Bought it ages ago from someone who I can't now remember! On the reverse is a little Post-It note with "Please sign other side" on so I guess it was ttm.

Reaction score
Amazing info. But.......if she auditioned in Los Angeles, how come she was on set at Elstree Studios? Did she come over here (to the UK) to record the song, and made a cameo appearance while here? And does anyone know if she's American or British?

By the way, I hope you all noticed me/Tessek during Lapti Nek, grooving and playing with my tentacles!

Tessek-Yarna-Oola-dance.jpg

Reaction score
Amazing info. But.......if she auditioned in Los Angeles, how come she was on set at Elstree Studios? Did she come over here (to the UK) to record the song, and made a cameo appearance while here? And does anyone know if she's American or British?

By the way, I hope you all noticed me/Tessek during Lapti Nek, grooving and playing with my tentacles!
I don't know anything about auditions or who filmed what where. There are tons of other fans who would know a lot more about that than me. I don't know, but I think she's American. She's on about a million social networking sites. I would have contacted her, but I'm not on any of them. Mr GarvenDreis has, however, sent her a message via one of the sites. He'll be letting us know if/when she responds.

Here are some of her profiles:

http://www.facebook.com/michele.gruska

http://www.myspace.com/michelegruska

http://twitter.com/freeatlast18

http://albumcredits.com/Profile/82685

Incidentally I've posted in the "Dear Hasbro' section in hopes of getting them to make an action figure of her dancing girl: Put Jabba's dancing girl 'Jess' on the next ballot! :excitement:

PS

I did indeed notice you playing with your tentacles. How rude!
cheesy.gif

Last edited: