ROTJ History: Gerald Home's Creature Info.

Reaction score
Well, I just read this entire thread. It feels like it should be its own “making of Star Wars” type of book: Memoirs of a Squidhead. I have literally nothing else to contribute to the thread, but after just catching up on several years of posts (where does time go??) I hope I’m able to read several more!

Reaction score
Well, I just read this entire thread. It feels like it should be its own “making of Star Wars” type of book: Memoirs of a Squidhead. I have literally nothing else to contribute to the thread, but after just catching up on several years of posts (where does time go??) I hope I’m able to read several more!
BobaSoFettch: Thank you so much for your wonderful words. Welcome to this thread, and I'm happy you like it. Do ask if you ever have any questions.

This time tomorrow I'll be on a plane to Nashville for the ICCC, which I know is going to be a very exciting, interesting and joyous event, not least because I'll see so many of you there! Lily Ledy will be there too, so I'm sure I'll see some rare Squid Head figures. Now if only I had Squid Head and Mon Cal Funko POP! figures to add to Audrey II, the circle would be complete!

All the best.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hoping your flights go alright Gerald! Might be skirting around that angry Miss Florence!

Reaction score
Nashville is inland enough but the hotels should be crowded due to the coast crowds clearing out of the hurricane's way.

Enjoy your stay here in the USA. But bring a raincoat
:)

Reaction score
Nashville is inland enough but the hotels should be crowded due to the coast crowds clearing out of the hurricane's way.

Enjoy your stay here in the USA. But bring a raincoat
:)
He won't need one for Nashville. Got our usual weather on the horizon - hot, humid, and dry. It's been a very pleasant week thus far, but highs are moving back up close to 90. Ugh.

Hope to see/meet some of you at the con!

Reaction score
I just got back from Nashville - and Memphis! - a couple of days ago, so here's a report, with photos.

Before I start, I'll respond to your latest posts:
IndyMike: thanks for the best wishes. Hurricane/tropical storm Florence didn't reach us in Tennessee.
VideoViper: you were right, our hotel filled up on Saturday night with evacuees from the Carolinas - and I did take my (folding, plastic) raincoat with me on Monday when it was raining! Otherwise, you were right, Lady M, the weather was very, very hot and humid. Now on to my report:

The ICCC (Imperial Commissary Collectors Convention) was fantastic. The organiser, Mike Havens did a great job, and this show will grow and grow in the years ahead. The word "Collectors" in the title attracted collectors from all over America - including from New Jersey, from the West Coast, and many people from Atlanta and Philadelphia. Some came from Canada, and one man came from Australia with his wife to celebrate his 50th birthday. It was a joy for me to meet all these people, and it's always a thrill for me when followers of this thread come to see me. As they will tell you, I can tell them things in person which I can't write in this thread! No doubt about it, this was a major event for me, not just the con, but also seeing 2 wonderful places I've wanted to visit and explore all my life: Nashville and Memphis.

Here's a great photo from Corey Dee Williams, who I like very much. Holding hands with Tessek is fun - you should all try it some time! The Tessek was provided by James Azreal of The Horror & SciFi Prop Preservation Association, who has an amazing collection. The Tessek costume build was by Steve Gray. I love this photo:

And here I am with my friend the legendary Steve Sansweet. I was fortunate to spend a lot of time with him in Tennessee, and I told him how much we all miss him:

Now I'm going to post photos which I know are off-topic, but many of you ask to see such photos, so here are some:

First of all, our trip to Graceland, Elvis Presley's home in Memphis. Here I am at his famous front gate, in front of his house, and by his grave:

Graceland feels very much part of American history, and it was stunnng, as was the other place we visited in Memphis, The Lorraine Motel, now part of the National Civil Rights Museum:

I still can't believe I was really at those 2 places less than a week ago. It will take some time for it all to sink into my poor tired brain! All I can say for now is, visiting these places blew my mind. (Apologies if I shouldn't be posting "tourist" photos in this thread.)

Finally, here I am signing my other Mini Me for the first time - Funko POP! Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors! This video comes from Topps Star Wars Sketch Card Artist Brent Scotchmer, an Australian now living in Nashville, who I had a lovely long chat with:

https://youtu.be/OHCX31roHiM

And here I am with the figure:

On our last day in TN, some of us guests went shooting, and I can't believe I joined in, shooting A REAL GUN! I won't post video of that here, but will send it to anyone who wants to see it.

I'll end by thanking a country and it's people! Thank you America and thank you American fans. You always treat me so well. It overwhelms me sometimes...but I love it!

All the best.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was wonderful catching up Gerald! I've since looked into the specifics of being a "professor." :)

Reaction score
It was wonderful catching up Gerald! I've since looked into the specifics of being a "professor." :)
Hey! I just wanted to say it was nice to meet you in person. Sorry I didn't join you for the SW panel as I'd promised to do, but I got to chatting away with various vendors and completely lost track of the time. If I recall correctly, your field is mathematics; email me, as both of my parents are PhD mathematicians (they met in graduate school at Vanderbilt) and might be able to offer some guidance.

Gerald, it was absolutely lovely to see you again; I'm really glad you enjoyed your time in TN. I have some pictures to upload and post of you and my signed Audrey II (that yellow really pops! - pun intended).

Reaction score
Brian and Alexis, it was great to see you both!

Yes, the yellow pen on the Funko POP! really does stand out. Chris W will look into my problem loading the photo next week.

Puppetry lesson for today! "Professor" is the name given to puppeteers who operate the puppets in Punch and Judy shows, which are traditional puppet shows, often performed at the seaside. Here's a photo of Punch and Judy in their booth:

Cheers.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I couldn't add the photo of me signing my first Audrey II to post number 687 above, so I've posted a link to a short video there instead, showing me signing it. Topps Star Wars Artist Brent Scotchmer sent me the video and 2 photos:

Link to the video again: https://youtu.be/OHCX31roHiM

Brent's new photo of me signing my first Funko POP!:

Note that Rebelscum is featured in the video and photo above!

And here's a photo of Brent and me at my table in Nashville:

Thanks to Brent for his help.

Regarding Little Shop of Horrors: lots of people told me recently how good the puppetry is in the film, so I looked at it again, for the first time in many years, and they're right - the puppetry is very good! Everything in this Feed Me, Seymour clip is done by humans, just a few of us puppeteers - there is absolutely no CGI involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SkrYF8lCU

Speaking of LSOH, Rick Moranis is doing his first-ever convention soon - the Alamo City Comic Con in October. I bet he'll be signing lots of his LSOH Funko POP! figures.

Remember...Don't feed the plants!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, Gerald!

I forgot to send you the most important photo taken at the AACF's Proyecto 145 event in Majorca last weekend! :grin:

PS: yes, same guy you met at CifiMad in February :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great pic, Ricky. Thanks for posting.

I have 3 upcoming appearances to tell you about:

!. This weekend in Gloucester here in the UK. Here's the final guest list, including a rare appearance by Brian Cox:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Gloucester-Comic-Con-1078466965505864/photos/?ref=page_internal

2. I return to France for Hero Festival in Marseille in November:

https://www.facebook.com/HeroFestival-618056484938727/

3. In this photo, you see famous British TV presenter Davina McCall with a strange man who has lost his trousers!.......Who is he??? More information soon, so stay tuned!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some news for you all, including an event in the US next year to tell you about.

Firstly, as many of you guessed, I'm dressed as my Mr. Muscle character in the photo in the previous post. I had just filmed a few lines of a song to be included in a charity TV programme called STAND UP TO CANCER, which will be on Channel 4 here in the UK this coming Friday, October 26, from 7pm until midnight. It's basically a cameo appearance and I have no idea how much I'll be in the finished video, but it was great fun filming it, and it was for a good cause - cancer research. I hope those of you in the UK watch the show and support the charity. Here's the flyer for the show:

Not long now until I go back to France for Hero Festival in Marseille, November 10-11. Here's a greeting video I made for the show, which includes my new Mini-Me, Funko Pop! Audrey II:

https://www.facebook.com/618056484938727/videos/vb.618056484938727/881509638904589/?type=2&theater

And here's the Hero Festival website where you can see my Star Wars co-guests:

https://www.herofestival.fr/marseille/le-programme/krypton

I have never signed in the New York area, so I'm very, very happy to tell you that I'll be in New Jersey next May 17-19 for the East Coast Comicon. I know many of you live in and around there, so it will be a great chance for us to meet up. There are 3 of us Star Wars guests announced already, and I know more will be added, so keep watching the website for news:

http://www.eastcoastcomicon.com/media-guests/

I have one more appearance this year to tell you about, in December, and several other exciting ones next year. More news as they're announced.

Over and out.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, Ricky, thanks to you, I'll be ending my travels in Star Wars Fanland for this year the same way I began - with a convention in Spain. I started in Madrid in February, and I'll finish in Barcelona in December. I'm going to STARRACO WARS, which will be held in Tarragona, not very far from Barcelona, December 1-2. What a wonderful way to end my travels for this year, in one of my favourite countries, beautiful Spain. Here's the guest list on the con's website:

https://www.starracowars.com/destacades

And here's the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/StarracoWars-Tarragona-1460362524033404/?__tn__=k*F&tn-str=k*F

I'll soon be able to tell you about my first appearance next year, in a country The Calamari Men have never been to before! So...watch this space!

Hope to meet you in New Jersey in May, VideoViper.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know I'm late, but here's wishing you all a very Happy New Year in Star Wars Fanland!

I ended 2018 with wonderful conventions in France (Marseille) and Spain (Tarragona and Barcelona). Here's a photo from one of those events, Starraco Wars in Spain, showing me with my chums Anthony Forrest and Ricky/Ricardo of Astroworks who makes the beautiful cardbacks. Thanks for everything, Ricky, including this photo:

I'll be just as busy travelling this year as last year, starting in a "new" country for me - CANADA!!! - in just over 2 weeks time, February 2-3 in Shawinigan, which is about half-way between Montreal and Quebec City. I hope you locals will come to see me, and maybe some of you will come from the US, too. I can't tell you how excited I am about this, especially as the convention will be unique and special in many ways. Here I am with the event logo:

And here's the guest page:

http://shawicon.ca/invites/

Here's a short video I made to publicize the convention - I know many of you like to see these videos! (Hello there, Alejandro!) The video has had over 4,000 views in a short time, which shows there is a huge hunger for Original Trilogy actors in that part of the world:

https://www.facebook.com/1506139099696500/videos/vb.1506139099696500/833175287014702/?type=2&theater

I have other appearances confirmed too, including at least 4 in the US - but, before you ask, Celebration Chicago isn't one of them. We'd all love to go to it, but not many of us will be invited, unfortunately. I'll tell you about my other appearances as they're announced.

Finally, here I am in a T-shirt sent to me by Brandon and Jason of Talking Bay 94, which I'm posting to remind you to listen to their excellent podcasts:

I hope to meet many more of you on my travels this year.

Happy autograph collecting!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Always love your promo videos. I especially love the videos when they are not in your native language.
I hate the fact that so many of the return of the Jedi actors will not be at celebration 2019. If celebration were run by fans instead of the epitome of corporate greed I am
sure we would have a much better show. My 4 year old loves oola (Femi Taylor) and keeps creating fantasy scenarios of him taking selfies with her. I always distract him during the rancor scene so he doesn't know Of Oola's fate.
Just FYI, Mike Quinn (Nien Numb) is writing his memoir. He has started a kickstarter page where he is offering his hardcover first edition book with a personalized autograph. The price of the book is very inexpensive. I hope everyone takes advantage of this awesome opportunity

Reaction score
Glad to know you'll be very busy this year, Gerald!!! Thank you for being the main reason I 'survived' that 'intense' weekend in Tarragona ;)
Looking forward to meeting you in Spain again next year!!! :grin:

Reaction score
Thanks for all your recent posts and messages.

I have a new event to tell you about, in Belgium: Brussels Comic Con, March 2nd and 3rd. I will be there on Saturday 2nd only. There will be an amazing number of Star Wars guests there, including 34 of us as part of the Charity Event. Many of us Jabba's Palace performers will be there, so I think there will be lots of multi-signing photos. Here's our guest list:

https://www.xogold13.de/brussles-comic-con/

And here are the other guests, including Ray Park:

https://comicconbrussels.com/en/homepage-en/

I'm very excited to be going to Canada tomorrow. I will arrive at my hotel about 10:00 pm on Thursday night, and I will do an interview at a radio station at 7:35 am on Friday morning! It's my first-ever event in Canada and I know I'm going to be meeting up with many, many fans. Brilliant.

All the best.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Ricky.

Look what I just found on YouTube - a short film I made in 1985! It's not the best film ever, but it will let you see me acting a bad guy - and it involves a different kind of puppetry! (Not suitable for children though.) My part starts about 7:19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnh-zgE1kBY

Cheers.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a lot to tell you about the convention I was at in Canada last weekend, including details of an excellent new fan film, but before that, I have a question:

Several people have asked me if anyone will be helping get autographs at the con in Brussels next month. I don't know, but if any of you know, or plan to get autographs for other people, maybe you could start a new thread giving details. Thank you.

Ok, Shawicon in Canada last weekend: it was brilliant, fantastic, wonderful! My first event in Canada, and it was magical. You all might not know that very few of us Star Wars performers have been to conventions in Canada. The really big names and big characters have been going to events there for years, but most organisers don't give the fans what they want - a wider range of performers, especially from the Original Trilogy. So I was honoured to be the first-ever Star Wars actor to go to the part of Canada where Shawicon was held, and the fans were very appreciative, and gave me a heart-warming welcome.

Many of you have asked me to show things that happen at events, so here are some examples:

Here I am in a photo with a group of costumers. There are now over 120 members of the 501st in Québec - the Garnison Forteresse Impériale - and I was told about 72 of them were there to meet me, which is amazing and touching. You'll see the latest Tessek in the photo. Inside the excellent costume is a soldier in the Canadian army. He finished his costume just a few hours before the con, so last weekend was his first time trooping in it. That shows passion and determination. He chose Tessek because I was going to be there. He was great and we had fun doing Tessek moves and poses:

Here's a wonderful video showing me being presented with various presents. The fans showered me with warmth and love (yes, love) and I was totally overwhelmed. As you'll see in the video, I got very emotional. (It would be hard NOT to get emotional when the fans are so warm.):

https://www.facebook.com/501stquebec/videos/320467315250105/

And here's a new interview, recorded at the con:

Article where you can access the interview:

https://grizzlymediablog.wordpress.com/2019/02/03/gerald-home-est-honore-davoir-incarne-deux-personnages-dans-star-wars-vi-le-retour-du-jedi/

The interview on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/rsFS1HADplw

Now for the short film I want to tell you about. Here's a photo of me watching it:

Here are details about the film - you can watch the film here too:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/13/18180851/star-wars-short-fan-film-squad-leader-td-73028-soliloquy-shakespeare-maxime-claude-lecuyer

I believe not many fans have seen the film, so I suggest you share the link with your friends. I hope you like it. I love it.

I hope all of the above shows you the kind of thing I do at events. Shawicon was special in many ways, mostly because of the fantastic organisation and brilliant fans. It was a great start to my new year in Star Wars Fanland. Where would I be without you guys?! Thank you!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some more info for you about Comic Con Brussels in 2 weeks, showing the Jabba's Palace reunion guests and Mon Calamari guests:

Some of you have asked to see more photos from the event in Canada 2 weeks ago, so here's one from my first panel/conference there, showing me with a Mon Calamari (Marc-André) and a Quarren (Martin)! It was very useful to have them beside me because I could point to their masks and costumes when I was describing how to act in masks and what it was like to be in the masks:

It's off-topic, I know, but as some of you have asked, here are 2 photos of me being a tourist...

Firstly, here I am at my first-ever ice hockey game, thanks to François:

Secondly, here I am at the top of Mount Royal in Montreal, thanks to Michel:

I do love to be a tourist!

Hope to see some of you in Brussels.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mike, sorry, but we don't have ice-hockey here! I loved seeing it in Québec, it was very easy to understand, and I was given a puck as a souvenir. All very cool. The team in yellow in the photo is called Les Cataractes, which is appropriate because I've got one of those - a cataract, I mean, in my left eye. (If I could do emojis, I'd put a smiley here.)

Regardng DC...Mike knows I was due to go to a con there last May, but the ignorant, incompetent organiser cancelled my appearance, after I had signed the contract! I still don't know why. I'll get to DC one day, Mike. In the meantime...

I just received my tickets to a con in the US later this year, in a state I've never been to before. Can't wait to tell you about that.

Cheers.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mike, sorry, but we don't have ice-hockey here!
Hi Gerald

We do have ice hockey over here ... but it is very much a minority sport

I used to follow Newcastle when I lived up there under their various guises and have been to a few Hull games now I live down here

Not sure where you are based but there are Elite League teams all around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales

I'm sure there's never been a Mon Cal at an UK ice hockey game

Mal Skelton

Reaction score
Thanks for the best wishes, Ricky. I hope you had a good time at CifiMad in Madrid last weekend. I've heard great reports about it. I'll see Mike Edmonds in Brussels tomorrow.

Mal, thanks for the ice hockey info. I had no idea it was played regularly here. I live in London and know teams sometimes come over from the other side of the Atlantic for exhibitions and short tournaments. I will investigate.

Yes, I was the first-ever Mon Cal in Québec - and the first Squid Head! And as I write this, there is a cosplayer in Québec making (what we think is) the world's first Mon Calamari Officer costume for himself. I have been answering his questions about the costume and mask. He'll make the costume himself and someone else will make the mask and hands. He's a perfectionist and wants his mask to be exactly like mine was in the film. The problem is that there aren't many clear photos of my MCO mask - but we'll get his mask as close to mine as possible. Great fun.

Finally, it's off-topic, I know, but related to my travels in Star Wars Fanland: here's the puck I was given as a souvenir of my time in Québec:

See some of you in Brussels this weekend.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some of you have asked for a report about Comic Con Brussels last weekend: it was fantastic! The fans came from all over Europe and were great, and it was wonderful to meet up with so many of my Jabba's Palace colleagues - 15 of us! I think that's the biggest collection of Jabba's Palace performers EVER at a con! Are you listening, Celebration Chicago organisers??? Fans still want to see us vintage Original Trilogy performers!!! (I don't think they're listening...)

Here are 2 photos from the con. First of all, 5 of us Jabba's scum! Me, Trevor Butterfield, Simon Williamson, Tim Dry, Sean Crawford. (Note to those of you who now look at the height of performers in order to work out who's inside the masked costumes: Trevor and I are almost the same height, I'm just a little bit taller than him. Tim Dry is the tallest. Trevor and Sean are about the same height. The only smaller person in this group is Simon. Remember, as a Mon Cal, I pushed my head forward, making myself look smaller, and I stretched my body up as Tessek, making myself look taller.):

This second photo shows more of the 35 Star Wars guests (and some of the con organisers) but several guests are missing, including Femi Taylor, Mike Edmonds and John Coppinger:

I'll look for better photos from the con, and if I find any, I'll post them here for you to see.

Bye for now.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more about the fans wanting to see the original trilogy actors at Celebration. When a relatively small convention like Lexington can attract better guests than celebration Chicago that's shameful.

no disrespect to Lexicon. I was very impressed and look forward to going again.

Reaction score
Yes, DarthWuicho, Lexington was a magical convention, and it was great to meet you and so many other readers of this thread there.

For the collectors amongst you, here are photos of me with my Bill Cable Collection! Some of you know Bill and his site, Creature Cantina. I've known him for many years and love his work.

Here I am with his limited-edition Droids Custom Squid Head action figure (now sold out) which he recently sent me:

And here I am with the other drawings Bill has done for me over the years:

And here's the report he wrote about the photos:

https://www.creaturecantina.com/epicStory.cfm?id=1447

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I adore the Mr. Muscle Squidhead drawing! It's typical of Bill Cable's humour and very original way of thinking. His text on the drawing is equally funny and original:

Gerald Musclesquid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here... even though I read almost the whole thread twice, I just signed in. The main reason why I signed in is to follow this particular thread only.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Martin! It's good to see you here! And thank you Ricky for also welcoming Martin.

Here we are, the 2 Tesseks in Québec!

Like me, Martin is a perfectionist. He made his Tessek costume himself, and is still working on it, because he wants it to be exactly like mine. I feel honoured that he chose my character, and I look forward to the next time we "troop" together.

Gerald

Reaction score
It's a real pity they didn't invite you to SW Celebration, Gerald. Some nice swag created by fans will be handed out there: