ROTJ History: Gerald Home's Creature Info.

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words Gerald. It was a pleasure to finally get to meet you.
Lexington was a very nice show. I couldn't believe that such a small
city could draw such big names. I am looking forward to your next US show.

Reaction score
Thanks very much Snowtrooper1138, Lady M and DarthWuicho for your lovely comments. (I know all your names, but don't want to use them here, "in public", if you don't use them yourselves.) I enjoyed meeting all of you too, and the other Rebelscummers who came to see me. I love it when I can put faces to names. As you all now know, followers of this thread get special greetings from me.

Thanks also to the wonderful guy who asked me, "Are you the Mon Calamari who can't work out how to work the lights on the wall?" He's right - that is me - and he got a hug for recognizing me! Several others in the past have asked the question in other ways, such as, "Are you the confused-looking Mon Calamari on the Bridge?" I'm telling you this because all these people realized I'm that Mon Cal after they'd seen me in-person, and saw how I use my body/hands/arms when I'm talking. In other words, they recognized my in-person body language as being like the confused-looking Mon Cal on screen. That's exactly the type of thing I try to get all of you to consider when you're trying to identify who's who inside masked costumes.

Finally, here's a photo of our Return of the Jedi cast reunion panel/Q&A in Lexington:

And here's the link to it again, which I hear some of you missed when I posted it last week - and I know some readers have never seen any panel of any kind, so this panel is a good place to start:

https://www.facebook.com/lexingtoncomiccon/videos/vb.197815090274071/1594400553948844/?type=2&theater

All the best, and thanks again to those of you who came to Lexington. It's confirmed that I'll be back in the US later this year. More about that when it's announced.

Gerald

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words Gerald. It was a pleasure to finally get to meet you.
Lexington was a very nice show. I couldn't believe that such a small
city could draw such big names. I am looking forward to your next US show.
Hey there! I wish some Scummers had emailed me as I had requested on this thread so we could meet up - but aside from that, your art that Gerald was showcasing is fantastic!

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words about the art Lady Macbeth.
I kinda went to the show last minute. I flew in to Louisville
and took an Uber to Lexington. I would of loved to meet some
of you. Maybe we can all meet up at Celebration 2019?
is it too early to be discussing Celebration 2019?

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words about the art Lady Macbeth.
I kinda went to the show last minute. I flew in to Louisville
and took an Uber to Lexington. I would of loved to meet some
of you. Maybe we can all meet up at Celebration 2019?
is it too early to be discussing Celebration 2019?
Lol. It’s a bit early. But it never hurts to stay ahead of the game.

I am trying to make it up to Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis this upcoming weekend. Got some good guests and looks really well organized.

I will also be attending the Imperial Commissary Collectors Convention (ICCC) in Nashville (it’s brand new) on September 15th. You should think about coming! The guest list is steadily growing. Check it out.

Reaction score
POLAROIDS AND PHOTOS......THE CONFUSED MON CAL......A NEW VIDEO......

Thanks very much for checking that we know about the Polaroid photos, Bubba. I did, in fact, post info on this thread about the 2 Tessek-Squid Head Polaroids, in post number 328 on March 31, 2015. To remind you all, here they are:

I wrote about them again in post number 447 on July 23, 2016 when Mike/IndyMike used his brilliant, super-cool beans technological magic to make me these 10x8 versions of the Polaroids:

I told you recently about the guy in Lexington (and others) who recognized me as the "confused" Mon Cal on the Bridge. Since then, a couple of fans have told me about stuff online in which people have been talking about my confused Mon Cal! I had no idea such threads existed, so thanks for telling me. The threads were very active last year and some of the posts are very funny. See for yourselves:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/5mwxyu/noticed_this_mon_calamari_who_cant_find_his/?st=jffl9kaq&sh=229a23ce

And someone posted this thread in reply to the first thread - and yes, it is me in both film clips (as I've been saying for many years):

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/5mzbnk/i_see_your_confused_mon_calamari_and_raise_you/?st=jffldvj6&sh=f534ab98

If you scroll down that thread, you'll find this info:

The actor's name is Gerald Home
One classic scene has the Mon Calamari Officer particularly frantic in the background. Gerald: "Just before Ackbar yells "It's a trap!", I'm the confused Mon Calamari at the back, standing, to the left of him...supposedly pressing light switches on the wall panel behind me. But, I remember what was going on in my head at the time: none of the switches were operational - they were all fake and did nothing; I was so close to the rail at the back of the set that I was in danger of falling over; I couldn't see, and didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on around me, just that directions were being yelled out to us to keep going..."!

If you click onto "The actor's name is Gerald Home" in that thread, you'll be taken to the page on Matt Glasgow's (my wonderful webmaster/creator) Star Wars New Zealand website where he interviewed me and analyzed my Mon Calamari Officer call sheets in great detail. As you will see, Matt re-posted the article last year (2017) but it was originally posted in 2004 - so I have been talking about my "confused" Mon Cal for over 14 years! It feels really good that more people are now noticing him/me on the Bridge! Here's Matt's brilliantly-detailed article:

http://www.swnz.co.nz/2017/03/11/gerald-home-tessek-squid-head-mon-calamari-officer-2/#.WHR1TJKtrBI

And here's a new video I recently filmed, to publicize my appearance at FantastiCon in Mexico in 2 weeks time. It begins with film of (some of) my up-dated collection of Star Wars treasures, which are on the wall over my desk:

https://www.facebook.com/expojedi/videos/vb.422242254801055/579167325775213/?type=2&theater

Thanks again for your post, Bubba.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
"super-cool beans technological magic"...I should patent that. ;)

The new video is great! Have no idea what you're saying, but its fun!

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

Worcester Comic Con last weekend was great. Thanks to the readers of this thread who came to see me, including Antony, who named the New Squids on the Block photo, Richard and Ian, and Mark. Apologies to those of you I haven't named.

I'm off to Fantasticon in Mexico in a few hours time. Before I go, here's a photo of me with a new Star Wars actor friend I met in Worcester - Christopher Patrick Nolan aka Chris Nolan, who played Toshma Jefkin in Rogue One. He's a very nice guy and a good addition to the travelling pack of Star Wars performers:

LAUNCH!!!

Gerald

Reaction score
CONVENTIONS...I have 3 to tell you about:

Fantasticon in Mexico 2 weeks ago was, as the name suggests, fantastic! Some of you have asked to see photos and film of conventions, so here's a very good video to show you what Fantasticon was like - you'll see me in there somewhere:

https://www.facebook.com/expojedi/videos/vb.422242254801055/589826441375968/?type=2&theater

And here's my thanks and goodbye to Fantasticon - notice which of my 2 characters is most featured in the poster! The video automatically plays 3 times, so you don't need to click to repeat it:

https://www.facebook.com/expojedi/videos/vb.422242254801055/588609151497697/?type=2&theater

And here's another US appearance to tell you about, in Nashville in September! (Even as I write those words, I can't believe I'm going to Nashville. It's a life-long dream to go there, and I think I'll include a trip to Memphis too.) Here's the impressive guest list, which will grow, so keep your eyes on the site:

https://www.iccollectorsconvention.com/guests

In a few hours time I'm going to Vichy, France for Générations Star Wars. Here's the final guest list:

http://www.genstarwars.com/blog2/generations-sw-et-sf-2018/

And here's the Quarren Sith I'll be meeting this weekend in France!

https://inkphy.com/media/Bh4UY7fFexD

All the best.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gerald, so excited that you are coming to Nashville!

For those of you planning on attending ICCC (September 15th for regular admission), please get in touch with me (via email, as my PM box is always full). I was born and raised here and just returned after nine years in Lexington, KY. I’ll be happy to meet up or make suggestions for dining, attractions, etc. I’ve found that RSer’s are just some of the best and coolest people, and I’m always happy to make new acquaintances or friends.

Reaction score
That was a great pleasure to see you in Cusset (Vichy) mister.

From the tall, big and bald man who "looks like a journalist", but is not.

See you space cowboy...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, Gerald! So good to know you're keeping busy! Here's another picture that has surfaced from the last convention we both attended in Madrid last February :)

Cheerio!

Last edited:
Reaction score
See you space cowboy...
"Space cowboy"? I like that! Maybe Han Solo and I have something in common after all!

Thanks for all your recent posts and photos. Here are 2 more photos from France last weekend:

One of my favourite books of any kind is my chum Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Scrapbook The Essential Collection. I gave one to the charity auction in France, signed by all 4 of us guests, and I'm happy to tell you it raised 300 Euros (about £265, $360) for children's charities. Here we are with the book and the family who bought it:

And here I am with John "Dak" Morton, wearing his Washington DC Area Star Wars Collecting Club cap, logo designed by our very own IndyMike!

The Nashville con in September is looking exciting, excellently organised by promoter Mike. I hope some of you hook up with Lady M so we have a big Rebelscum get-together there!

Space Cowboy over and out!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some of you have asked me about the Quarren Sith I met in France recently. I know some of you are cosplayers and I know some of you are interested in cosplay, and others are interested in technical information, so here's some stuff for all of you:

Here I am with Jonathan in his Quarren Sith costume:

And here we are with Jonathan holding his mask:

I'm full of admiration for cosplayers, especially those who wear masks or helmets. I know how difficult it is to wear a mask for as little as 10 minutes, yet cosplayers wear theirs for hours at shows. I don't know how they do it. I guess it's their passion, and they love doing what they do. I reckon cosplayers add a lot to the atmosphere at events, and I love seeing them.

Jonathan was wonderful and I enjoyed meeting him. His Quarren had a voice! And so does his Kylo Ren. Here's an interesting video of his on YouTube in which he demonstrates how his voice modifier machine works. (It's in French, but you'll understand what he's demonstrating.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAqdWGQUWQ&feature=youtu.be

If you're interested in seeing his other costumes, ask and I'll give you more info.

All the best.

Gerald

Reaction score
Star Wars Celebration in Chicago! Easy non stop flight from Heathrow. Would be so happy to see a Jabbas palace section at Celebration 2019. The panals would be great! I hope they contract you and the other European guests. If Lexingtons convention has a better "Return of the Jedi" guest list than Celebration 2019 that would be embarrassing.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Brandon,

You beat me to it! I was going to post links to your podcast, and tell everyone to follow Talking Bay 94, your excellent new adventure. Thanks for posting the info.

I met Brandon in Dallas last year and I know he's an excellent interviewer, so I was very happy to do a podcast with him recently. I'm more than happy with the result because it contains all the details Star Wars fans should know about my experience with Return of the Jedi, and lots of other stuff. Because of Brandon's careful, clever, well-researched questions, I think it's the most "complete" podcast I've ever done. Hope you enjoy it. Here are the links again:

On iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-3-gerald-home/id1388494261?i=1000412557874&mt=2

And on website: TalkingBay94.com

Wuicho,

Thank you for your post. I hadn't heard about Celebration in Chicago next year, so thanks for telling me! It would be great if a bunch of us ROTJ performers are invited, but that depends on who will be organising the signing guests. I've only been to 2 Celebrations in the US (C3 and C4) so of course I'd love to go, as there are so many fans in the US I haven't met yet. We'll have to wait and see. The Lexington ROTJ panel was the best "reunion" panel I've ever done, so let's hope Celebration Chicago can equal that! (Also: the best pizza I've ever had was bought for me in Chicago years ago by Darth/Chris Spice, and I'd love another pizza like that!)

I don't know how many visitors go to Celebrations in the US these days, but you might be interested to know that I was a guest at an event in Turin, Italy, last year (called Torino Comics) which had more than 55,000 visitors in 2 days! An amazing number. And I was the only guest! Hard to believe, I know, but I really was the only guest of any kind. Here's a pic of some of the visitors before the event:

Ciao!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great interview. Surprised at the mention! You give me too much credit, Gerald. I'm humbled and appreciative.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, Ricky! Yep, I'll be in Germany on July 8th. My co-guest from the Star Wars universe will be Simon Williamson. We're in many photos together, and haven't appeared together at an event since Celebration Europe II 5 years ago, so I hope fans in the area take advantage of this rare opportunity to come and see us and to get things signed. Here are details of the show:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FilmboerseOberhausen/photos/?ref=page_internal

I'm glad to hear so many of you are enjoying my Talking Bay 94 podcast!

I have an appearance here in the UK in August, which I'll tell you about soon.

All the best for now.

Gerald

Reaction score
Great interview. Surprised at the mention! You give me too much credit, Gerald. I'm humbled and appreciative.

Mike,

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Sorry to disagree with you (!) but I don't give you too much credit: you did 2 "shifts" with me at C4 as my helper, and you didn't NEED to do the second shift, and you've helped me with photos in recent years. As my friends and family will tell you, I'm like an elephant because I NEVER forget anything, especially when someone has been kind to me.

All the best.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the company wasn't so pleasant, I wouldn't have agreed to the second shift when my replacement didn't show. ;)

Thank you, sir. Happy to help whenever I can!

Mike

Reaction score
This time next week - Sunday, 24 June - I'll be at a (very small) British version of where you work, Mike: the National Space Centre, in Leicester. The event is called Return of the Garrison. Scroll down to see us guests on this page:

https://spacecentre.co.uk/event/return-of-the-garrison/

It's an interesting place and an interesting guest list, and I look forward to meeting John Simpkin and Paul Kasey for the first time. I'll have copies of this photo with me, and if, as I think, John and Hugh Spight are also in it, it could be a multi-signed project for you:

I know this is a very late announcement, but I hope I will see some of you there.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cannot recall at the moment but I believe Spight is one of the GG's pictured in that photo. On the right is Mike Stevens as Wooof. Simpkin is most likely just out of shot on the right.

Reaction score
I cannot recall at the moment but I believe Spight is one of the GG's pictured in that photo. On the right is Mike Stevens as Wooof. Simpkin is most likely just out of shot on the right.

Ah, I see. Thanks very much for the info. You guys know more than I do about these characters.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have an up-coming appearance to tell you about here in England - in Newark, on Sunday 5th August. Alan Harris is my fellow Star Wars guest:

https://www.facebook.com/NorthLincsTvFilmComicCon/

The con in Germany 2 weeks ago was brilliant, and it was great to catch up with Simon Williamson again after 5 years. We co-signed many copies of this photo:

Here's the original, complete version of that photo, which Lucasfilm sent me on photo-cd 15 years ago:

My Star Wars news for this week:

- I signed a bunch of cards and stickers for Topps.
- I'm confirmed to go to a con in a new country (new for me) next year! It's a country I've always wanted to visit, so it will be a dream come true. I can't tell you about it yet, but it's very exciting and unique - and will be a special treat for autograph collectors!

Two of you have told me you'll be coming from Atlanta to see me in Nashville in September, which is great to hear. I hope I meet many more of you there.

All the best.

Gerald

Reaction score
At last! My first Funko Pop! Audrey II, the flesh-eating plant in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, as you see here, available in 3 versions (in the US at least) very soon! (Thanks to my Bothan spy Paul for the news.)

https://www.funko.com/blog/article/coming-soon-little-shop-of-horrors-pop-supercute-plush

I sign a lot of LSOH photos in the US where lots of people do the musical at school. Let's hope the figures are available before September when I'm at ICCC in Nashville.

And let's hope I get Tessek-Squid Head and Mon Calamari Officer Funko Pop figures one day too! In the meantime, as they sing in the movie...

DON'T FEED THE PLANTS!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Congrats on your first Pop!, Gerald! I'm still holding out for Pop! Tessek, which I find incredibly hard to believe hasn't been made yet. I look forward to seeing you in Nashville soon enough.

For those two traveling up to ICCC in Nashville from Atlanta (whom Gerald mentioned previously), feel free to email me if you'd like to meet up/hang out and/or if you want any recommendations on what to do/where to eat.

Reaction score
Thanks Lady M - I'm soooooo looking forward to Nashville and the ICCC, and to meeting up again with so many of you. I just know it's going to be an amazing event.

Thanks Ricky - it would be great to get to Spain again this year, and I'm keeping everything crossed that it'll happen. Fingers, tentacles - you name it, it's crossed! If it happens, it will be because of you.

I have 2 appearances to tell you all about here in the UK, one before Nashville and one after:

Northampton, Sunday 9th September:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Northampton-Comic-Con-299067290278258/

Gloucester, Sunday 7th October. Alan Harris will be my Star Wars co-guest:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Gloucester-Comic-Con-1078466965505864/photos/?ref=page_internal

While I'm here, and to celebrate the release of Funko Pop! Audrey II, I'm going to show you (some of) the reply I gave to someone who asked me recently for details about filming Little Shop of Horrors and operating Audrey II. I've never written about this before, so I hope you find it interesting:

- I worked on Little Shop of Horrors for nearly 6 weeks, which is a long time, and we filmed at Pinewood Studios. I still have the contract.

- In the early stages, when Audrey II was small, in the Maxwell House coffee can, there were only a few of us puppeteers, and the number increased as the plant grew. The attached call sheet refers to filming Mean Green Mother from Outer Space when most puppeteers were needed.
- There was one puppeteer inside Audrey II, Anthony Asbury.
- For that final song, when there were lots of mini Audrey II pods (pic attached) we were on set, very close to Audrey II, so we could see the pods we were operating. Before that, when there were just a few of us, we were sitting under the set, each of us with a monitor at our feet so we could see what our work looked like on screen.
- There was no CGI involved - all the puppetry was human. The vines were operated by cables. We each had a control in both hands, operating the cables. There were joins/joints at various points on the cables and they would invariably get stuck. In fact, it was filming these scenes when we heard the word “glitch” for the very first time, because Frank Oz said the words, “Cut! There was a glitch.” many, many times. The problems weren’t with the puppeteers but with the cables - but that was accepted as an inevitable consequence of using cables, and that’s why they gave us 6 weeks to film all the Audrey II scenes. And remember, Frank Oz was a puppeteer, so he completely understood the difficulties involved in using cables in the puppetry.
- In those days, many of us “puppeteers” were actors, who had learned puppeteering and mime in our early careers in children’s theatre, or at drama school, which is where I first studied mime. If you’ve read my Rebelscum thread, you’ll know I’m credited at the end of Return of the Jedi as a Mime Artist (after Ewoks, before Stunts). If you’re read other stuff, you’ll also know (and have seen) two pages of additional dialogue I, the Mon Calamari Officer, had with Tim Rose as Ackbar. I had to audition to get this speaking part because, as a Mime Artist, George Lucas and Richard Marquand didn’t know if I could speak. The scenes weren’t used because my Mon Cal mouth wasn’t articulated for speech. So you see, we puppeteers, and mime artists, often came from actor backgrounds. These days, people can set out to be puppeteers or creature performers. By the way, if you can’t find my additional dialogue scenes and would like to see them, just ask and I’ll send them to you.
- We interacted with Rick Moranis a bit, though not much, because, as I’ve often said, nobody talks much on set. Even if you’re beside your best friend, you don’t have conversations. Performers are always very concentrated on set. Ellen Greene was nervous - not difficult or rude, just nervous. I had seen her in LSOH in the West End when she played it here. Her film version of Audrey is very similar to her stage version.

To remind you, you'll see 6 of us Star Wars performers on the LSOH call sheet.

I've mentioned David here in England before. He has been a fan of puppeteers and puppetry of all kinds since he was a child. His knowledge constantly stuns me, and he recently told me stuff about filming LSOH which I didn't know. If anyone would like to know what he told me, ask and I'll tell you.

Hope to see you on my travels!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Funny you should bring up Dave! I just talked with him on the phone last night, interviewing him for the podcast. I'll send you the link when it is posted next Wednesday ... it was great (but not as great as your episode of course). We actually didn't talk about LSOH at all, so I would be very interested to hear! (We focused, in terms of non-SW, on Labyrinth, Roger Rabbit and Dark Crystal, so now I am kicking myself!)

Reaction score
Wow I am a huge fan of Little Shop of Horrors. I am even working on a 1:18th scale Audrey 2 for one of my Dioramas. I have a great appreciation for the engineering & puppetry that made that thing work as well as it did.

I would love to hear about anything you would like to share about LSOH.

Reaction score
Astroworks, you beat me to the punch! I was coming in here just about to post that! (Something new to get you to sign, next time we meet!)

Reaction score
Thanks for all your recent posts:

Brandon/thenerdinator and Ricky/Ricardo/Astroworks: thanks for keeping me informed! The Squid Head pic looks gorgeous and I'll look for the mag tomorrow.

Thanks to Ricky's hard work and determination, I AM going back to Spain this year, to a part of Spain I've never been to before. Very exciting. Here's a clue about who my co-guest will be: We are the Star Wars actors you're looking for! More info when our appearance is announced.

Brandon: I look forward to hearing your interview with Dave Barclay tomorrow. I can see why you thought I was talking about him in my earlier post, but I was actually talking about a fan called David who lives here, in the north of England. He's the puppetry and puppeteer expert who knows just about everything any of us performers have ever done - including in the theatre. Here's his fascinating Little Shop of Horrors info, which he's happy for me to share with you. VideoViper, I think you'll enjoy this:

"I once met the guy who helped to create the effect of the baby Audrey 2 growing in the coffee can (Steve Donald – he sadly died from cancer a few years ago). He said that the can was kept at the same distance from the camera but the baby Audrey 2 was on a track and was much further back from the camera. Whilst the coffee can remained still, the baby was gradually moved closer and closer to the camera – that was how the effect of it growing larger was achieved “in camera”. He showed me a photo of the coffee can version that was used for this effect – it had rubber sides and the Maxwell house lettering was printed on. Small syringes served as air rams and pushed against the rubber can so that it looked as if the can was expanding as the plant grew. I think the same story is featured in the cinefex issue."

And here's some interesting news about a new sci fi museum David gave me today, which he thinks you might enjoy:

"There is a new museum opening on 20th October called "The Museum of Classic Sci Fi". It features accurate replicas of C-3PO and R2-D2 as well as having original creatures, costumes and props from many other famous sci fi movies and tv shows.

It is run by a fan, Neil Cole, who wants to share his personal collection and passion with other fans.

It is in a village called Allendale in Northumberland and the opening is set to include imperial stormtroopers marching through the village.

The details are on here:

http://www.museumofclassicsci-fi.com/home/4589856996

https://www.facebook.com/pg/neilcoleadventuresinscifimuseum/posts/

VideoViper: please PM me and tell me a bit about yourself, if you want. It's good to see a new name on this thread.

Thanks again for keeping me informed, Rebelscummers - I'd never find out these things if you didn't tell me.

As I write this, another email has just arrived from Nashville. I mean...NASHVILLE! I still can't believe I'll be there soon. How lucky are we Star Wars performers that organisers and fans still want to see us?! I never forget how lucky we are.

All the best.

Gerald

Last edited: