ROS Thoughts and Reviews Spoiler Thread

Reaction score
I mean yeah, end of the day, there is a lot of fill in the blank. But I think I pieced most of it together. At least in a way that satisfies me.
I think your main theories are interesting but i think you're giving Abrams and co. more credit than they deserve and a bunch of it is wishful thinking rather than what was intended. But if it satisfies you, that's great. Regardless, I still enjoyed TROS

Reaction score
I think your main theories are interesting but i think you're giving Abrams and co. more credit than they deserve and a bunch of it is wishful thinking rather than what was intended. But if it satisfies you, that's great. Regardless, I still enjoyed TROS
I mean, truth is, you're probably right. I'm trying to make the best (for me) of some of the flaws, especially of a lot of the ambiguity due to the extreeeeeeemely rushed pacing. That is my largest issue with the flick. I mean I did sincerely like this one, a lot even, but like said, I can't deny it's far from flawless. It's def. not my favorite SW, but I will say I enjoyed it more than a lot of the others. I'll say one thing...I'm very excited for when the cut scenes come out. Could contain some big stuff.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I'm not sure where it was mentioned (or even if it was this thread) but there was a comparison of the Sith holocron Dryden Voss had and the wayfinder. I just checked both visual dictionaries and they look very different. They are both prisms though.

I would imagine that that Sith design for memory storage devices were consistently shaped even if their jobs were different. The wayfinder was Google Maps while the holocron was Google in a USB.

Reaction score
I'm not sure where it was mentioned (or even if it was this thread) but there was a comparison of the Sith holocron Dryden Voss had and the wayfinder. I just checked both visual dictionaries and they look very different. They are both prisms though.

I would imagine that that Sith design for memory storage devices were consistently shaped even if their jobs were different. The wayfinder was Google Maps while the holocron was Google in a USB.
Yeah that was my post. They look absurdly similar, don't they? I just happened to catch it totally at random. It does make me wonder if these wayfinders are maybe like tampered with Sith holocrons?

Utinniii

Reaction score
I have several external hardrives and USB sticks. They all look similar to each other even if the contents are very different.
The Sith loved their pyramids so I'm not surprised their storage devices follow that aesthetic.

Reaction score
I mean, truth is, you're probably right. I'm trying to make the best (for me) of some of the flaws, especially of a lot of the ambiguity due to the extreeeeeeemely rushed pacing. That is my largest issue with the flick. I mean I did sincerely like this one, a lot even, but like said, I can't deny it's far from flawless. It's def. not my favorite SW, but I will say I enjoyed it more than a lot of the others. I'll say one thing...I'm very excited for when the cut scenes come out. Could contain some big stuff.
Yeah, there's 2 movies worth of story they tried to rush through, leaving a lot on the cutting room floor, literally. I'm not saying your theories are "bad" at all. It's a lot better than just hating the movies and whining about plot holes for the next 20 years lol.

What works for me is just going a bit easy on the filmmakers, IMO they did a good job overall. For the plot holes or whatnot, I just kind of ignored them and didn't take the movie so super seriously and nitpick everything. I went in with low expectations but was rewarded surprisingly with a good, fun movie. They did well with most of the major stuff, i liked the general plot, characters, dialogue and acting, FX etc. There was A TON of story and plot here, and if X and Y wasn't explained properly well whatever, like you say maybe we'll see another cut down the line to flesh out things more, and obviously some deleted scenes.

Reaction score
It’s kind of a thing for Sith holocrons to be triangular prisms or pyramid shaped. There were a couple of cube shaped Sith holocrons in the comics however, and that has thrown many truth seekers off the rail so to speak. Somewhere in my man cave hides the “Book of Sith” which is still in it’s box. A pyramid based on a Sith holocron. I can’t remember what the Jedi version is, but it’s also here somewhere in my hoarder hovel. 🧙🏻‍♂️

Utinniii

Reaction score
It’s kind of a thing for Sith holocrons to be triangular prisms or pyramid shaped. There were a couple of cube shaped Sith holocrons in the comics however, and that has thrown many truth seekers off the rail so to speak. Somewhere in my man cave hides the “Book of Sith” which is still in it’s box. A pyramid based on a Sith holocron. I can’t remember what the Jedi version is, but it’s also here somewhere in my hoarder hovel. 🧙🏻‍♂️
I suspect both are just common shapes (and spheres would just roll everywhere). 2 easy justifications would be 1] regional/clan styles, and 2] former Jedi corrupted holocrons.

One thing I try to ignore about Star Wars is the "all or nothing" attitude where a planet or species all have the same characteristics. With Sith artifacts I can be more forgiving as it is essentially religious iconography.

Reaction score
So question for everyone: since I've only seen the film once, of course, especially at the speed this goes, it's nearly impossible to remember or even notice everything. But I have a sincere question. So...I'm almost in like a fever dream. Did Phasma show up for like three seconds? I can't remember the context, but did Finn say when they were captured and about to be executed "Of course it's you!" when she shows up? Or did I legit just dream this? I sincerely cannot remember if this happened. Now this really begs a question: is she to SW what OJ Simpson's character was to Naked Gun? Can this character just not die? Heck, calling her a character is being generous. Maybe she's a metaphor for SW product placement because she is basically (and unfortunately...so much lost potential) just a walking shiny toy. It will never die. Ha! I mean, alright, her being thrown in the trash compactor, I suppose there's enough reasonable time before Starkiller Base explodes for her to get out and off the base. But how in the heck did she survive The Last Jedi? That seemed like a pretty definitive death scene to me. Granted the fight between her and Finn that's not in the film Last Jedi cut is vastly superior, shame really that wasn't the one used, but what the heck? I totally dreamed this, didn't I?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So question for everyone: since I've only seen the film once, of course, especially at the speed this goes, it's nearly impossible to remember or even notice everything. But I have a sincere question. So...I'm almost in like a fever dream. Did Phasma show up for like three seconds? I can't remember the context, but did Finn say when they were captured and about to be executed "Of course it's you!" when she shows up? Or did I legit just dream this? I sincerely cannot remember if this happened. Now this really begs a question: is she to SW what OJ Simpson's character was to Naked Gun? Can this character just not die? Heck, calling her a character is being generous. Maybe she's a metaphor for SW product placement because she is basically (and unfortunately...so much lost potential) just a walking shiny toy. It will never die. Ha! I mean, alright, her being thrown in the trash compactor, I suppose there's enough reasonable time before Starkiller Base explodes for her to get out and off the base. But how in the heck did she survive The Last Jedi? That seemed like a pretty definitive death scene to me. Granted the fight between her and Finn that's not in the film Last Jedi cut is vastly superior, shame really that wasn't the one used, but what the heck?
Stop eating sugar! ;-)
But no, I can't remember seeing her in the movie, but as you say, there is a certain pace in the movie, so blink and miss it. But I think if they had her in it, it would be a bit longer - 3rd time's a charm, right?

Reaction score
Stop eating sugar! ;-)
But no, I can't remember seeing her in the movie, but as you say, there is a certain pace in the movie, so blink and miss it. But I think if they had her in it, it would be a bit longer - 3rd time's a charm, right?
I've OFFICIALLY lost my mind! I could SWEAR she was in it for like three seconds. I def. had to have dreamed it. Probably during me doing all that research for my theories, it was so on my mind (on top of a few holiday choice beverages) that when I fell asleep, I mixed them all together and dreamed she was in there. Because I legit was thinking today, wait, was she? Was she...?

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I've OFFICIALLY lost my mind! I could SWEAR she was in it for like three seconds. I def. had to have dreamed it. Probably during me doing all that research for my theories, it was so on my mind (on top of a few holiday choice beverages) that when I fell asleep, I mixed them all together and dreamed she was in there. Because I legit was thinking today, wait, was she? Was she...?
They WERE caught by a female Stormtrooper so that is why you probably thought that.

Reaction score
I'm going to wait another week or so and go see the movie again. I saw it this past week so still a bit fresh

Utinniii

Reaction score
I will probably want to see it again this week as well. It is strange that while I quite enjoyed it, I'm not over excited to see it again.
I think one reason might be that the Visual Guide is soooo well detailed for aliens that I don't need a second viewing for them. Another might be that the saga is over and I've accepted that and have already started to move on.
Hasbro's lack of toys has also somewhat dampened my enthusiasm. I somewhat feel that I'd rather spend my time customizing figures than seeing the movie again.

(Although, I'm customizing figures for the Mandalorian moreso than TROS ATM, but that will change when the Blu Ray comes out.)

Reaction score
After the movie finished i felt like i was done with Star Wars and these Disney movies for quite a while. It was just so big and over-the-top and kind of emotionally exhausting..

There's so many scenes and things going on though that a 2nd viewing might be fun. I might regret it after going a 2nd time though haha.

Reaction score
Just got home from seeing it. The biggest surprise for me was the brief appearance of Denis Lawson as Wedge Antilles. I never in a million years thought he’d appear in another Star Wars film!

More thoughts to follow...
I was pretty stoked to see Dennis in there as well, though not surprised after noticing how many other little nods there were to the original trilogy.

Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Han's appearance. But was he a Force Ghost?
No. Even in the dialogue between Han and Kylo/Ben, Ben tells his dad that he's just a memory, and Han tell his son "yea, your memory"; which was basically pointing out that Ben had brought him there due to his own minds desire to make peace with his dad.

Reaction score
Complete List:
Obi Wan (Both Alec and Ewan), Anakin (Hayden), Yoda, Mace, Qui-Gon, Ahsoka, Adi Gallia (TCW), Aayla Secura (TCW), Luminara Unduli (TCW), Kanan Jarrus.

Not sure why Adi, Aayla, and Luminara are there for no real reason but I’m not surprised since Disney is all about pushing that girl power...
You might be able to answer this... if I'm not mistaken, was not Vader's voice also associated with the Emperor at one point as well? Thought that was interesting.

Reaction score
Now with spoilers, go on at your own risk ;)

Only a few tiny things that I might have missed.. how exactly did Palps survive DSII ? Was this explained ?
  Spoiler:  
It was hinted at in the movie. There's a scene where the Rebels hear of his existence and ponder the very same question, and then answer it themselves with some comments about the 'Sith dark arts' and I think 'cloning' may have been mentioned. Of course, the concept of clones in Star Wars has been around for as long as the Saga has been. The very first movie back in 1977 referred to the 'Clone Wars'. Then there was the prequel depiction of cloning in use, which Palpatine had access to. Considering he had an obsession with extending his own life, its a no-brainer that he would have been all over cloning tech for use by the Sith. Then in EU there's the comic series Dark Empire that also has the Emperor return after his death on DS II, using cloning tech.

Reaction score
Based off the spoilers I've read and the quick reviews here, I'm not missing anything. I'm glad I decided to not watch this hot garbage years ago. Di$ney had me totally excited and on the edge of my seat with every trailer they released for TFA. That was all erased five minutes into my opening night viewing.

If you liked any or all of Di$ney's vision of $tary War$, more power to you, but this is not for me.

PS I only made it through two episodes of "Almost Boba Fett". It was such a snooze fest and that blue alien bounty had me flashing to the opening of The Orville...and I'm sick of "almost Yoda". If I ever see that MFr on the streets, I'll cut 'em. There I said it.
I have no issue with people not caring for the new SW releases... I'm an old time fan myself, since '77. So I understand. Right from the first whispers of SW returning to the big screen in the 1990-91 I dreaded what was inevitable - disappointment. But I learned to temper my expectations so that I can enjoy the new stuff without feeling like it threatens what's dearest to my SW fan heart.

Sounds like you're happy under your rock though, and probably best you just stay there.

Reaction score
Still haven't seen it, going tonight or tomorrow, but Rey being a Palpatine really conflicts with me. Granted my words won't carry much weight at the moment, it's premature, since I haven't seen it. On the one hand, it's a sort of cheap though mending excuse to explain why Rey is so inherently able and powerful and also why Luke didn't necessarily care to train her. Alright, that's fine, but now you have to deal with the resulting negatives it also causes. On the other hand, it's just really hard for me to believe that Palpatine knocked someone up.
  Spoiler:  
The movie features a 'dark Sith Rey' character at one point. My personal theory is that they story of Rey was not completely revealed in the movie, and that what actually transpired is related to Palpatine's use of cloning tech. For instance, what if her 'parents' were ex-Sith escaping and taking one of many clone Rey's along with them. We're left to assume that the new Sith fleet was being manned by clones as well.

Reaction score
JJ seems to find glee in throwing Rian’s TLJ under the bus with the blessings of Kathy-- to the detriment of consistency to this already mangled, toneless trilogy.
The consistency of the Saga trumps the consistency of the trilogy IMO. The movie's not perfect for sure, but JJ made the right choices to steer things back toward an ending worthy of the saga. The ugly inconsistency is there because RJ just had to be 'original' and put his own ironic twist on things, completely ignoring everything else and fans at large. He treated it like HIS movie; which make hiring him one of Disney's biggest mistakes.

The heritage of Star Wars is regurgitation. Take some time to research 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces'; it was part of Lucas' design for Star Wars. You'll see that the underlying heritage of Star Wars is about recycling story archetypes. Prior to Disney's efforts, different directors worked on the various SW movies, but under the ultimate control of Lucas himself. So they could create their own take on certain things, but largely the overall story had to follow one man's vision. Disney made the mistake of giving the directors too much leash and trusting they wouldn't self indulge. At least JJ doesn't seem to be completely self indulgent in his directing; unlike RJ.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You might be able to answer this... if I'm not mistaken, was not Vader's voice also associated with the Emperor at one point as well? Thought that was interesting.
Basically the idea of that was that the Emperor was manipulating Kylo to the dark side using Vader’s voice from beyond the grave. Apparently Anakin himself was actually the one trying to pull him back to the light from what I’ve heard.

Utinniii

Reaction score
The Emperor told Kylo that he was, "every voice inside your head", and then we heard Snoke and Vader whispering to Kylo.

It was like when Ben would talk to Luke, only Palps disguised his voice.

I'm not sure of Snoke WAS Palpy or just his puppet, but I don't think the distinction matters.

Reaction score
JJ seems to find glee in throwing Rian’s TLJ under the bus with the blessings of Kathy-- to the detriment of consistency to this already mangled, toneless trilogy. Because if that's what gets all those that have sworn off SW after TLJ into the theatre, this shady little man will do it.
JJ is ultimately controlled by Disney, so hard to tell who wanted what in the movie. JJ is the king of soft reboots so he was brought in by Disney to make a soft reboot with TFA.

I don't mind some of the recon that fixed TLJ, but what bothers me is that ROS makes TLJ almost pointless because at the end of TLJ all of it, including Luke's sacrifice, was built to "light the spark" that will inspire other systems to join the rebellion and help defeat the First Order. But then right from the opening crawl of ROS the Emperor puts out a broadcast that totally negates that whole storyline.

It's like TLJ was totally ignored and JJ and co. just went off and made their own Episode 8 and 9 and crammed it all into one movie.

Reaction score
The Emperor told Kylo that he was, "every voice inside your head", and then we heard Snoke and Vader whispering to Kylo.

It was like when Ben would talk to Luke, only Palps disguised his voice.

I'm not sure of Snoke WAS Palpy or just his puppet, but I don't think the distinction matters.
I agree. The distinction doesn't really matter, all that really matters is that Palpatine was behind Snoke in some way. I mean there are a few options based off what we do know, that being that Palpatine literally made Snoke and that he was Snokes voice inside Kylo's head. 1. He could be operating for Palpatine in secret, taking direct orders from him, but still of his own sentience. 2. He could be a literal Palpatine clone made from his DNA, simply one that didn't work out too well but still had its uses. 3. That Palpatine is literally inside Snoke, his body is just a husk vessel, and Palpatine quite literally is inside him operating him. 4. Snoke could even be made by Palpatine and totally unaware of it, unaware that he is being manipulated by Palpatine. This might explain why he wanted Kylo to kill Rey in Last Jedi. However, I've also read that Palpatine created Snoke as a sort of test for Ben and to gauge his capabilities. Snoke/Palpatine certainly sensed the conflict within Ben Solo, even as Kylo Ren, and Snoke/Palpatine wanting him to strike Rey down was another one of those tests, knowing he wouldn't kill her, but rather more so wanting to set the diad more in motion.

But ultimately, you're totally right, it has to be one of these...but whichever one really is irrelevant.

Reaction score
I have no issue with people not caring for the new SW releases... I'm an old time fan myself, since '77. So I understand. Right from the first whispers of SW returning to the big screen in the 1990-91 I dreaded what was inevitable - disappointment. But I learned to temper my expectations so that I can enjoy the new stuff without feeling like it threatens what's dearest to my SW fan heart.

Sounds like you're happy under your rock though, and probably best you just stay there.
I find it truly sad that you feel the need to temper your expectations at all. But you're right, it must be my fault that I didn't like them. Maybe if I learned to expect grade D story telling then I'd actually like D$W.

I do feel lucky though that you just arrived to the party, sifted through 12pgs and I'm the only one you decided to enlighten with your snide remarks.

Reaction score

See, all due respect, that's the wrong attitude. Disagreeing doesn't make the other opposing member a moron, a troll, etc. Respect people! All Bobo did was express his take. I also never could understand the "Just like it" mentality. No! If someone doesn't enjoy something, they shouldn't be forced to TRY to like it just to appease those who DID like it. Heck, I prefer a group where not everyone agrees (so long as it's civil) and I always hated that "You're ruining my fun" attitude too. If your enjoyment of a film hinges upon what others are saying about it, it sounds, to me, like you didn't much like it to begin with. Plenty here did not like Rise of Skywalker, but just because of that...it hasn't hindered my enthusiasm or enjoyment of a healthy debate on it. You do know you can still enjoy a film that everyone else hated? You do know you can still hate a film everyone else loves?

Reaction score
JJ is ultimately controlled by Disney, so hard to tell who wanted what in the movie. JJ is the king of soft reboots so he was brought in by Disney to make a soft reboot with TFA.

I don't mind some of the recon that fixed TLJ, but what bothers me is that ROS makes TLJ almost pointless because at the end of TLJ all of it, including Luke's sacrifice, was built to "light the spark" that will inspire other systems to join the rebellion and help defeat the First Order. But then right from the opening crawl of ROS the Emperor puts out a broadcast that totally negates that whole storyline.

It's like TLJ was totally ignored and JJ and co. just went off and made their own Episode 8 and 9 and crammed it all into one movie.
I think I would have liked that, though I dislike TLJ I cannot deny some beats in it cannot be erased, if when the "Avengers Assemble" moment happens and Lando arrives with the mega-fleet...if someone says, much akin to Aragorn saying "For Frodo" in LOTR, "For Luke Skywalker!" That would sort of reflect that Luke's sacrifice, the legendary Jedi war hero who brought down the first Death Star and changed the galaxy as we know it, is what brought all these people together to, once and for all, unite and bring down the Empire. That way it would still retain that theme, but also explain just HOW Lando got so many. It was through the honoring of Luke Skywalker.

There I go again...writing a better movie. =P

Reaction score
See, all due respect, that's the wrong attitude. Disagreeing doesn't make the other opposing member a moron, a troll, etc. Respect people! All Bobo did was express his take. I also never could understand the "Just like it" mentality. No! If someone doesn't enjoy something, they shouldn't be forced to TRY to like it just to appease those who DID like it. Heck, I prefer a group where not everyone agrees (so long as it's civil) and I always hated that "You're ruining my fun" attitude too. If your enjoyment of a film hinges upon what others are saying about it, it sounds, to me, like you didn't much like it to begin with. Plenty here did not like Rise of Skywalker, but just because of that...it hasn't hindered my enthusiasm or enjoyment of a healthy debate on it. You do know you can still enjoy a film that everyone else hated? You do know you can still hate a film everyone else loves?
Thanks M&M.

Little does he know, I actually live in a pretty nice house.

Reaction score
Thanks M&M.

Little does he know, I actually live in a pretty nice house.
You mean you don't live in Patrick from Spongebob's house? =P

No but seriously dude, we may not agree on everything...but I respect that your are respectful and I give it in return. I got yo back, bro! =P

Reaction score
Apparently an even longer cut is coming packed with fan service https://t.co/wOP1gTrOL6
I think most fans just want a good story that feels like it belongs in the SW universe, not over-the-top fan service like it sounds like JJ was doing with this original cut. Seeing Wedge was cool, and having more C3PO, that was all the fan service I needed. I don't need Jawas and Ewoks and desert planets for their own sake.

Reaction score
No where do I say anything that suggests they should watch something they don't want to. Nor am I even critical of them. In fact, as I stated, I understand their perspective... shared it myself even at one point. If they are happy not partaking ('under your rock' was an obvious reference to this), I even suggested they continue with that.

Maybe you have a bad motivator? ;)

Reaction score
You mean you don't live in Patrick from Spongebob's house? =P

No but seriously dude, we may not agree on everything...but I respect that your are respectful and I give it in return. I got yo back, bro! =P
I find it truly sad that you feel the need to temper your expectations at all. But you're right, it must be my fault that I didn't like them. Maybe if I learned to expect grade D story telling then I'd actually like D$W.

I do feel lucky though that you just arrived to the party, sifted through 12pgs and I'm the only one you decided to enlighten with your snide remarks.
I agree. It is indeed sad that someone would need to temper their expectations. But there was zero chance anything past the original trilogy would have enjoyable to me if I hadn't. So that's the route I took.

But if you don't like the stuff and don't want to watch it, "you must do what you think is right" (for you). Had to throw an Obi-Wan quote in there. ;)

Btw, remarks were 'on point', but not intended as 'snide'. If I had done snide you'd be much more upset.

Also... just thought I'd let you know that you have this weird monkey on your back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree. It is indeed sad that someone would need to temper their expectations. But there was zero chance anything past the original trilogy would have enjoyable to me if I hadn't. So that's the route I took.

But if you don't like the stuff and don't want to watch it, "you must do what you think is right" (for you). Had to throw an Obi-Wan quote in there. ;)

Btw, remarks were 'on point', but not intended as 'snide'. If I had done snide you'd be much more upset.

Also... just thought I'd let you know that you have this weird monkey on your back.
The thing is, a new SW movie doesn’t have to be as good as or better than the OT for me to enjoy it. Let me give you a few examples to illustrate my point:
  • ESB is my favorite SW movie, maybe even my favorite movie period.
  • My favorite album is probably Revolver, although as a musician, that’s a tough question to answer.
  • I’m not big into sports, but game seven of the 2016 NBA finals was probably the best game I've ever watched. Congrats to your 2019 Raptures BTW.
Does that mean I can’t enjoy any movie, album, or game ever again if it’s not as good as my favs? Of course not. That’s why “it’ll never be as good as the OT” logic never made sense to me.

What I want and expect from a SW movie are the following:
  • Cool lightsaber fights
  • Awesome space battles
  • An original story that makes sense
  • A fantastic soundtrack
What I don’t expect, but would be a bonus:
  • Good dialog
  • Good acting
I hope this clarifies for you that Di$ney did not have an impossible task to satisfy me, but a rather simple one. For all the faults of the PT movies, I enjoyed them all because they meet my expectations.

As for your remarks, my reaction isn’t an indication of your intention. I didn’t get “much more upset” because I’m an adult on a public forum interacting with a complete stranger. If such things got me upset, I would remove myself from the situation. Now being snide (maybe cheeky is what you were going for?) might not have been your intent. If that was the case then I would politely suggest you take more care in your phrasing because snide is how it was perceived. Living under a rock never had a positive connotation. “Sounds like you’re happy avoiding the cinema and should probably continue to avoid it” expresses the same point without the spice.

Lastly, if having rather simple expectations is considered having a monkey on my back, well then call me Indy.