ROS Thoughts and Reviews Spoiler Thread

GNT

Reaction score
***SPOILERS THREAD***

Just finished watching it, without a doubt the best ST film by far (not hard to beat TLJ) but ROS is the film we all deserved and I’m glad we received. Not going to ruin the surprises but looking forward to watching this one over and over again in the weeks and years to come . Very entertaining from the get go and makes up for the crap of the last film.

Reaction score
I'm expecting a movie that uses fan service to cover up the litany of story and character issues. Disney's trilogy ends with a empty, vapid thud.

Reaction score
Saw it earlier this afternoon. It's definitely the best ST movie. TLJ wasn't hard to beat, and it brings more interesting stuff than TFA did. There are interesting ideas, interesting nods to the previous trilogies without it being too forced. Some things are really quickly done with, it really feels like they had to take some time to un-do and modify what was done in TLJ, to then re-launch the whole thing and keep going in the wanted direction with what was supposed to be the whole story (and to finally go forward with the trilogy). So some parts are really "expedited" in a couple of minutes
  Spoiler:  
(The Knights Of Ren, we still know nothing more about them. How is Palpatine still alive, what did he do all that time, more explainations on how he plotted the whole thing?
I laughed with that certain scene that clearly mocks what was done in TLJ :)

I guess if you hate the ST it won't change your mind, but if you were left puzzled after the TLJ like I did, it definitely makes things a lot less worse. And it's entertaining. Some scene are still a bit cringy but it's short and there's not many of them. There's humour but it goes much more smoothly than in TLJ, and it's actually witty and funny (not forced like, again, in TLJ). The characters are more developped and more interesting. I liked Poe and co much more in this movie, C3PO is awesome in it, I liked to see Lando back as well.

For more spoiling things
  Spoiler:  
it feels the whole story and the way it ends was a bit predictable and easy, it left me with a feeling like "oh okay and so? this is the end of the Skywalker trilogies". Oh and don't bother wasting money buying dozens of Sith Trooper figures, they are even more useless than Phasma was, 😅 I don't even think there's a single scene or action plan where you see one of them alone, they are always shown running around on the background or in large plans being shot. And is that me or does it feels like a possible new film/serie with Lando and that girl? (I can't remember her name). The music is great, I didn't notice any new themes, it's all about the old themes for each characters but rearranged and it suits the developpement of the plot well.

Overall, let's say it could have been worse, and things are finally making a bit more sense in the sequel trilogy after TROS !

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your a fan you'll love it ...
But if you go deep into the lore you might be slightly (just a little) disappointed

Reaction score
Not outright reading posts since spoilers are allowed in here, so just have one comment to make. I do not HATE Disney SW. I liked TFA, loved RO, and enjoyed Solo mostly...I JUST hate TLJ. So with that said, do you folks think I will enjoy this one...I have high hopes this will mend things.

Reaction score
Not outright reading posts since spoilers are allowed in here, so just have one comment to make. I do not HATE Disney SW. I liked TFA, loved RO, and enjoyed Solo mostly...I JUST hate TLJ. So with that said, do you folks think I will enjoy this one...I have high hopes this will mend things.
TROS definitely helps the whole ST make more sense. If you liked TFA you will like this one too.

Reaction score
I had some minor issues with TFA, but ultimately my take was "That was a REALLY enjoyable start to what I wish the PT had been!" I liked it, albeit I can recognize the flaws. But TLJ just had me so...soooo...I'm not even sure if disappointed is the word. Almost insulted. But the more that's been coming out on TROS has convinced me it's getting mended. And now, seeing folks who agree with me on TLJ and it's....ugh...really enjoying TROS really, frankly, has me stoked! I'm excited now!

Reaction score
I had some minor issues with TFA, but ultimately my take was "That was a REALLY enjoyable start to what I wish the PT had been!" I liked it, albeit I can recognize the flaws. But TLJ just had me so...soooo...I'm not even sure if disappointed is the word. Almost insulted. But the more that's been coming out on TROS has convinced me it's getting mended. And now, seeing folks who agree with me on TLJ and it's....ugh...really enjoying TROS really, frankly, has me stoked! I'm excited now!
It's much, much better than TLJ (well it would have been terrible if they did worse!). I walked out of TLJ wondering where the hell did they wanted to go with the movie. Besides being badly done and dissapointing for fans, I felt like this was an useless movie, gratuitous and with no point, going into every direction without anything standing out. At least TROS has a direction, links things from previous movies together. It feels like it has more "structure". It also feels like they took things from TLJ to give them a bit of explaination and sense. And it's entertaining, I didn't feel like it was slowing down, it didn't feel too long. The characters are a lot less cringy and whiny.

I wouldn't say you don't need to have seen TLJ to enjoy TROS. But now that the sequel trilogy is finished, if you were to condense what was uselful for the whole trilogy in TLJ it could have been 20-30 minutes long. You'll recognize that scene I was talking about, clearly implying that the direction taken in TLJ was the wrong one.

Reaction score
Another just-got-home poster here. Random middle of the night thought stream:

Best of the ST - but that's not saying much because it underlines the fact that the whole endeavour was utterly pointless from a story perspective. I'd say it was average and throwaway - I enjoyed it overall but will not enthuse about it. I will not rush back for my traditional second viewing later today and I will not be purchasing it to keep next year. 1-6 is all I need.

Very busy. It's Star Wars for the mobile phone and Youtube generation. No attention span required.

Disappointing that all the leaks were true.

The 'space battle' was rubbish if you can even call it that. Not a patch on ROTS, ROTJ or Rogue One.

Chewie looked and felt off to me. Like a cosplayer in a onesie. Giving him the medal at the end was stupid.

D-O was a waste of space and could have been left out. Ditto Maz Kanata. Ditto Klaud. Ditto knights of Ren. Ditto Jannah.

Babu Frik wasn't funny. 3PO was funny. He got the best lines of the film. Second to him was the course correction shown by the saber-throwing and Holdo comments. Excellent but a pity that they were needed in the first place.

The whole thing where the edge of the dagger lined up with the edge of the broken Death Star was just awful and cringeworthy. Similarly the Han vision - we got it OK without that, thanks.

Lando was awesome. I liked Pryde and Hux was less annoying too.

Snokes in vats was good. Palpatine is always cool and I liked his hands. Leaving out Rey's grandMOTHER was unforgiveable but at this point I really don't care. Leaving out Anakin was expected and a shame. The badly-lit Sith loyalist crowd and Imperial guards would have been nice to see better.

Rey's saber hilt looked Sith-y. The beast the woman rode on Tatooine should have been an Eopie. The horses-with-mats-on-them looked rubbish.

Kylo and Rey flipping around between locations whilst fighting and pinching stuff was silly and confusingly presented for the general audience. Rey thinks Chewie is dead by her own hand and watches Ben die after kissing him but moments later in both situations is just back to normal. Not a good or likeable character trait. Not a Skywalker and I didn't see any Rising.

Showing Bespin and Endor but not Coruscant was a backwards step and made the galxay feel smaller and the victory less eventful than the revised ROTJ ending.

Rey should have been left dead and Ben alive. At least then the title would have made sense on some level and we would not have been sold a lie.

5/10

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad that it seems most are enjoying this one. I feel like TLJ was much more enjoyable for me, but I really need a little time to ruminate.

Disappointed that I'd spoiled Wicket for myself. And I'd forgotten that I'd spoiled Wedge for myself. :)

Some very enjoyable moments, but not quite what I was hoping for. Unlike every Star Wars film so far, I did not walk out with a desire to buy figures. Not one. Still keen on The Mandalorian figures though! :D

Reaction score
Very busy. It's Star Wars for the mobile phone and Youtube generation. No attention span required.
Very busy, yes, although I think you need to pay constant attention to understand who's where for what reason. Lots of planet hopping.

D-O was a waste of space and could have been left out. Ditto Maz Kanata. Ditto Klaud. Ditto knights of Ren. Ditto Jannah.
Ditto Rose Tico. ... D-O was obviously there to look cute and sell merchandise. The data they got from him, they could have gotten from the ship's computer. D-O did nothing noteworthy. Even the giant toothy worm had more of a story purpose.

Babu Frik wasn't funny. 3PO was funny. He got the best lines of the film. Second to him was the course correction shown by the saber-throwing and Holdo comments. Excellent but a pity that they were needed in the first place.
I didn't mind Babu as long as he was kept on the sidelines. Why was Babu Frik in the final battle, even? He couldn't pilot the ship, he couldn't do anything. What was he thinking? "Let's join there, maybe I die for the glory?"

3PO was good here. After him being a roadblock for most of TFA they had to make up for things. On the other side, R2-D2 still has no real place in the ST. The few moments where 3PO and R2 had a bit of interchange reminded me of how they worked as comic relief AND story device in the OT. That's something that never worked in the ST, and BB-8 / D-O are not a proper replacement.

Speaking of BB-8, why does Rey get to keep BB-8? He was Poe's droid, right? And why is Rey going to Tatooine? That place doesn't mean zilch to her.

The whole thing where the edge of the dagger lined up with the edge of the broken Death Star was just awful and cringeworthy.
That. Was. The. Worst.
And unnecessary. Any other method of information would have sufficed. Use the Force, Rey!

Similarly the Han vision - we got it OK without that, thanks.
Dunno, I kinda liked it.

Sure, Han was no Jedi and how the heck does he appear here, he's a dead human, he's all in Kylo Ren's head. But as the ST made the Force into some arbitrary magic force that can do anything if it fits the story, I do no longer care...

Leaving out Rey's grandMOTHER was unforgiveable but at this point I really don't care.
Abrams and the other story guy pull out one rabbit from the hat after another. Explaining away Snoke, okay. But that raises just the next question, why was Palpy's son never mentioned or even foreshadowed anywhere? (Rabbit... hat...) Also, it just underlines that the Force in the ST is apparently hereditary. And then there are the Sith followers, who come... where from? On an isolated desolate planet... Also, a giant Star Destroyer fleet constructed in secret in isolation with no resources, no shipyards, and a crew from... what... clones? without facilities... what about infrastructure? Rabbit... hat...

Kylo and Rey flipping around between locations whilst fighting and pinching stuff was silly and confusingly presented for the general audience.
I'm done with complaining about that after TLJ. Force can do anything the director wants it to do. Magic. The laziest universal story device ever.

On the other paw, "colocation" is a neat trick, which I sort of found fascinating. It also provided the necessary connection between Rey and Kylo to further both characters. So, I'm on the fence about that.

Rey thinks Chewie is dead by her own hand and watches Ben die after kissing him but moments later in both situations is just back to normal. Not a good or likeable character trait.
Ah, no? Chewie's apparent death causes her to doubt her powers and her light side allegiance. She ultimately goes to Ahch-To to die in isolation, so she won't join the dark side.

Kylo dying... now, she just fought the ultimate evil, what's she going to say? In the end, she becomes a hermit on Tatooine, isn't she? So I wouldn't say it has no effect on her. The impression that Kylo's death doesn't mean anything to her may arise from the fact that the movie cuts to celebration scenes.

Not a Skywalker and I didn't see any Rising.
The title was misleading, yes. The Fall of Skywalker might have been the better choice. After all, they are all dead now, with no heirs. Rey assuming the name is kinda... rabbit... hat... what is her connection there? Ben was a Solo, and their relationship was troubled. Luke was her master for three days and five minutes.

I liked Luke raising the Red 5 from the waters, even if it was such blatant fanservice. (Given the fact that part of the wing became a door of a hut, that must have been some serious jury-rigging to make it fly again...)

The weapon of a Jedi deserves respect... oh yes.

'nother thing... did they really abandon Finn's storyline completely? Now he finds other deserted stormies, but... what comes from it? What does the exchange between Lando and whateverhernamewas mean? Shouldn't she and Finn go save some First Order stormies from their conditioning? Finn never gets to tell Rey what was on his mind (not mentioning the Finn slash Poe thing). Poe gets to... gets to... dammit I can't tell what the end for Poe even was. Maybe he keeps R2 since Rey took off with BB-8. Chewie getting his medal was argh so stupid, second worst scene in the movie. What's the damn thing even supposed to mean to him after 30 years and Han's death? Not going to ask where Maz even got it. Rabbit... hat...

Bottom line, while I sorta enjoyed the movie (it was bombastic, it had fanservice, it did deliver answers even if there were a lot of rabbits...), the whole ST still reads like a bad fanfiction. The Disney Star Wars will never read "right" to me. Star Wars ends either with ROTJ, or with Anya Solo in the Legacy Comics. Done and out.

Reaction score
.... Chewie's apparent death causes her to doubt her powers and her light side allegiance. She ultimately goes to Ahch-To to die in isolation, so she won't join the dark side.

Kylo dying... now, she just fought the ultimate evil, what's she going to say?

....... the whole ST still reads like a bad fanfiction.
You are right. It's Daisy's perpetual inane grin and/or gurning that puts me off from what is actually meant to be going on inside her head.

Well put.

Reaction score
Liked it overall but still something not quite there for me. I think most of it had to do with how much I disliked the last jedi as a middle chapter in a trilogy that rots had to course correct a few of the stupid things that movie did.

*rose/Finn romance ... gone
*the cave vision in last jedi now just makes zero sense. It didn’t make sense before rots and now it’s totally pointless.
*Luke's Sabre and kylos helmet repaired
*Snoke retcon to be a palpatine Creation and not his own being
* reys parents retcon confuses me a bit so reys dad is Palpatine’s son but who is he? we know nothing of him and was he force sensitive? How old was palpatine when he conceived him? was It through the force or natura? Who was his mother? Rey seems too young to be palpatines granddaughter, maybe great grand daughter would have been better.
* Luke catching the Sabre in rots vs throwing it away in tlj and admitting he was wrong for his way of thinking in tlj.

but I still have questions that rots raised like
* how did palpatine return? Is exogol like a Sith purgatory? Was he just slowly regenerating a body through all the dark side spirits and it wasn’t until Rey and Kylo came Together that he could be revived.
* they seemed to make a big deal about Finn needing to tell Rey something that never went anywhere.
* didn’t quite understand reys parents plotline. So this Sith follower murdered them with the dagger on Jakku and fled without Rey? So he tracked them down on Jakku to take young Rey to palpatine? Am I getting that right but for some reason he didn’t take her and just left. I don’t get that part.
* disliked the Rey fakeout death. I don’t think Kylo needed to die and the kiss was bad. That bit just didn’t come off well.
* never explained how maz got lukes Sabre. A story for another time or a story for never?

loved C-3po in this it was his best role outside the ot. But r2 still had little to do and d-0 was a bit pointless. First 3rd i thought was great Star Wars but it seemed to get a bit confused in the last act. also really enjoyed the duel on the ds2 best duel of the st and Kylo dominated Rey for once! Even though he did lose in the end.

just some of my thoughts on a page hopefully some of my questions will be answered with repeat viewings

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I hung around during the end credits just because I was intrigued as to whether Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson’s appearances where they all talk to Rey were credited, which they were, but I also noticed a few other prequel Jedi were credited too, I noticed Luminara Unduli and Adi Gallia amongst others which I think is pretty cool.

Which others were credited? I didn’t have time to read them all.

Reaction score
So I hung around during the end credits just because I was intrigued as to whether Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson’s appearances where they all talk to Rey were credited, which they were, but I also noticed a few other prequel Jedi were credited too, I noticed Luminara Unduli and Adi Gallia amongst others which I think is pretty cool.

Which others were credited? I didn’t have time to read them all.
I will saw it in original english version tonight, I hope to recognize more Jedi voices because yesterday all the first screenings were in the french version, and I think they didn't choose the usual french voices of the actors, making it hard to recognize all of them. There's Yoda too, and at some point I might have recognized the french voice actor of Samuel L Jackson.

Reaction score
Based off the spoilers I've read and the quick reviews here, I'm not missing anything. I'm glad I decided to not watch this hot garbage years ago. Di$ney had me totally excited and on the edge of my seat with every trailer they released for TFA. That was all erased five minutes into my opening night viewing.

If you liked any or all of Di$ney's vision of $tary War$, more power to you, but this is not for me.

PS I only made it through two episodes of "Almost Boba Fett". It was such a snooze fest and that blue alien bounty had me flashing to the opening of The Orville...and I'm sick of "almost Yoda". If I ever see that MFr on the streets, I'll cut 'em. There I said it.

Reaction score
Based off the spoilers I've read and the quick reviews here, I'm not missing anything. I'm glad I decided to not watch this hot garbage years ago. Di$ney had me totally excited and on the edge of my seat with every trailer they released for TFA. That was all erased five minutes into my opening night viewing.

If you liked any or all of Di$ney's vision of $tary War$, more power to you, but this is not for me.

PS I only made it through two episodes of "Almost Boba Fett". It was such a snooze fest and that blue alien bounty had me flashing to the opening of The Orville...and I'm sick of "almost Yoda". If I ever see that MFr on the streets, I'll cut 'em. There I said it.
I think you have bigger issues than this movie being mediocre.

Reaction score
Speaking of good shows (The Orville), if you haven't checked out The Expanse, it is great Sci-Fi, with great characters, and great writing, imho. Entertainment isn't a total black hole of woke garbage. ;-)

I'll watch TROS tonight. Not because I want or need to see it, but because watching Star Wars theatrically has become tradition with my now grown children, and I will never pass that opportunity up as long as they still want me there. :)

Reaction score
Now with spoilers, go on at your own risk ;)

Saw it, love it, IMO a epic finale to the Skywalker saga. Was completly in awe with Falcon hyperspace-chase.
Great to see Lando again. IMO, he should have died too to completly remove the old generation, taking the Falcon with him in a last sacrifice.
Was completly surprised to see Han again.
The D-0 droid is cute as well as the Droid Mechanic ( the german version has a polish accent and earned loads of laughs from the audience :) :) )
All those small blink-and-miss cameos were well set too, Wedge, The Ghost, Wicket, young Luke, young Leia...
Zori is an interresting character too, might become some kind of female Boba Fett to me ;)
The 3PO memory swipe sent tears in my eyes :( and tears of joy again, when brought back from R2. :)
Goosebumps everywhere when Red 5 was lifted :)
Lightsaber fights were awesome too.

Only a few tiny things that I might have missed.. how exactly did Palps survive DSII ? Was this explained ?
I dont really like the concept of the "force link" between Rey and Ren, beaming pysical items through some sort of vision.

I will saw it in original english version tonight, I hope to recognize more Jedi voices because yesterday all the first screenings were in the french version, and I think they didn't choose the usual french voices of the actors, making it hard to recognize all of them. There's Yoda too, and at some point I might have recognized the french voice actor of Samuel L Jackson.
In the german version, besides Luke and Leia the did recast the german voiceactors for: EMG Kenobi, Qui Gonn, Windu, Yoda, Hayden Anakin, Clone Wars Luminara... and I might be mistaken, but I really thought to recognize the german Ashoka

Reaction score
I dont really like the concept of the "force link" between Rey and Ren, beaming pysical items through some sort of vision.
I love the idea of the “force link” or “bridge”, I think it’s one of the few great ideas Rian Johnson had in TLJ. I agree about the transferring of physical objects though, it just raises more unnecessary questions!

Reaction score
Speaking of good shows (The Orville), if you haven't checked out The Expanse, it is great Sci-Fi, with great characters, and great writing, imho. Entertainment isn't a total black hole of woke garbage. ;-)

I'll watch TROS tonight. Not because I want or need to see it, but because watching Star Wars theatrically has become tradition with my now grown children, and I will never pass that opportunity up as long as they still want me there. :)
Never heard of The Expanse. I'll have to do some digging into it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Reaction score
Only a few tiny things that I might have missed.. how exactly did Palps survive DSII ? Was this explained ?
  Spoiler:  
Nope, not even attempted to explain it. We're just supposed to accept that he did. I imagine we're expected to read some novels or comics for it to make sense, which I won't be doing

Reaction score
To be fair he say that he'd died already rather than actually survived. But yeah - we got nothing apart from that and a repeat of the line that the dark side gives abilities "which some consider to be unnatural" from ROTS.

I guess that those of us already invested in the lore are supposed to infer he used a Plagueis-style ability to manipulate life (as seen in the chucking around of 'life force' willy-nilly in the film). However alleged leaks of the novelisation infer that he used his power to create a wormhole to Exogol as he fell down the DS2 shaft and that he died over there having expended all his energy in making the journey. His body was then able to be possessed by all of the extant Sith spirits there ("I am all the Sith") but including his own. This was then able to wrest dominance of the reanimated corpse.

Just how bloody awful does that sound - trust me it's even worse typing it out! And no, I'll not be buying any accessory media excretions either.

Reaction score
Entertaining but utterly stupid in parts.

So there's a secret planet that you need a Sith navigation device to reach, of which only two exist, yet there are thousands of Sith followers there, plus hundreds of ships, which were presumedly built there, plus thousands of crew for those ships...

...and who the hell built a knife that is used as a locator for a device on a ship which only crashed 30 years ago. Why didn't the person who built the knife just take the Sith artefact?

Reaction score
Entertaining but utterly stupid in parts.

So there's a secret planet that you need a Sith navigation device to reach, of which only two exist, yet there are thousands of Sith followers there, plus hundreds of ships, which were presumedly built there, plus thousands of crew for those ships...

...and who the hell built a knife that is used as a locator for a device on a ship which only crashed 30 years ago. Why didn't the person who built the knife just take the Sith artefact?
You’ve got me really looking forward to the Cinema Sins “Everything Wrong With The Rise of Skywalker” episode on YouTube after reading that!

Reaction score
Complete List:
Obi Wan (Both Alec and Ewan), Anakin (Hayden), Yoda, Mace, Qui-Gon, Ahsoka, Adi Gallia (TCW), Aayla Secura (TCW), Luminara Unduli (TCW), Kanan Jarrus.

Not sure why Adi, Aayla, and Luminara are there for no real reason but I’m not surprised since Disney is all about pushing that girl power...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Complete List:
Obi Wan (Both Alec and Ewan), Anakin (Hayden), Yoda, Mace, Qui-Gon, Ahsoka, Adi Gallia (TCW), Aayla Secura (TCW), Luminara Unduli (TCW), Kanan Jarrus.
So Ahsoka is dead after all? She wasn't at the end of ROTJ, and she was pretty young, so...

Reaction score
It was good to see that Luke's role was treated better this time round. I found the Emperor scenes to be among the more interesting scenes. I went into this spoiler free and the cameo and brief appearances were a surprise.

Like others have said, I'm not sure this is a story that really needed to be told. The quality of the acting by those in prominent roles was lacking just like in the previous installments and that comes from miscasting. It was good that some of the unexplained/undeveloped loose ends from TFA and TLJ were addressed. It's certainly better than TLJ.

Reaction score
Yup she’s gone without even seeing her death. You can thank J.J. for that.
Funny, as it's already established in canon that she left the Jedi order around ROTS and she's alive towards the end of Rebels
- she stopped being a Jedi at a young age. She was still a Padawan (about to end her apprenticehood, if I recall correctly)

But apparently most of the popular and loved-by-fans characters must be destroyed by Disney.
And not only does the Force balance things by handing out Force to those who don't have it, it also makes everyone appear as Force Ghosts?

And why am I writing as if I am surprised by this ...? :LOL:

This is why we can't have nice things.

EDIT: Well.. if it is so, it's awesome, if it means Brie Larson won't get to play her.

Reaction score
And not only does the Force balance things by handing out Force to those who don't have it, it also makes everyone appear as Force Ghosts?
I assume you are referring to Han's appearance. But was he a Force Ghost?

Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Han's appearance. But was he a Force Ghost?
Well, I was thinking of all the voices Rey hears, maybe not force ghosts, but if not in some capacity as a ghost, how else would all those voices talk to her?
And how did they learn about becoming a force entity? But that was what I really meant ...they all get "a medal for participating" now :ROFLMAO: :LOL: