Rogue One Toys - General Discussion Thread

GNT

Reaction score
Possible spoilers maybe present

Since we're a little over a year to go (time will fly) to this movie gets released, maybe we can get some ideas on what the future might hold for possible Rogue One toys?

Set between ROTS and just before ANH, Rogue One deals with a bunch of resistance fighters stealing the plans to the 1st Death Star. Some pictures have leaked of old school Stormtroopers on set and I believe it's been mentioned Darth Vader will also be involved but wont be the main villain. Since this is set just before ANH maybe we'll see a few OT characters and vehicles in a Rogue One toy line - X-Wings, TIE Fighters etc which would be neat.

So it begs the question, since TFA were 5POA should we expect 5POA to continue for Rogue One or will Hasbro shift back to SA figures? I'm sure the next few months we'll see how well the TFA line does at retail and if there's a huge backlash maybe Hasbro will rethink their toy line approach.

So in just over a year we'll be seeing figures of the latest crew:

So post your ideas and thoughts on what might come Rogue One next year.

Reaction score
I need the 6" figures of all these.
Some people are saying the guy in the back looks like Biggs Darklighter.
And is Felicity Jones supposed to be Sabine Wren?

Reaction score
I need the 6" figures of all these.
Some people are saying the guy in the back looks like Biggs Darklighter.
And is Felicity Jones supposed to be Sabine Wren?
The Biggs rumor is really gaining traction, on Twitter anyway. Time wise though I don't see how it'd work.

Reaction score
Honestly, it looks like a generic sci-fi troupe. I'll hold judgement until more is released.
Yeah, so far it definitely screams "1990s low budget scifi movie". Not that I'm necessarily opposed to a grittier and more realistic approach to the Star Wars universe; but this just feels too dark and has the "we're terrified of color" palette that makes most modern scifi films so boring to look at.

Reaction score
I doubt it since Rogue Squadron was formed after the Battle of Yavin by Luke and Wedge. Unless this is some origin story and they become "Rogues" at the films end. Or it's a Disney retcon. :confused:

Reaction score
So, the rumored storyline here is that these guys are stealing the first Death Star plans or the second Death Star plans? It would have been nice to see at least one or two aliens on this crew.

Reaction score
So, the rumored storyline here is that these guys are stealing the first Death Star plans or the second Death Star plans? It would have been nice to see at least one or two aliens on this crew.
If it's the DSII plans then where are the Bothans?!?

Reaction score
Maybe Bothans aren't a species in the new continuity? They could just be highly trained rebel cells or something. I don't think anything that's considered canon has ever shown us what exactly a Bothan is.

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. Although I wouldn't mind a retconn when it comes to the Bothans' appearance. I was never a fan of their EU design.

Anyways, I am pretty excited about the idea of new movies that take place within the OT timeframe.

Reaction score
I read months ago on a movie site that Rogue One's storyline was focused on the Death Star I.

I already feel SW fatigue with all these films being announced. Takes all the "special" out of it IMHO.

Reaction score
I read months ago on a movie site that Rogue One's storyline was focused on the Death Star I.

I already feel SW fatigue with all these films being announced. Takes all the "special" out of it IMHO.
I couldn't agree more! What made Star Wars special, for me anyway, was the anticipation, the 3-year build up between episodes. You'd think Hollywood would learn that spacing out sequels ultimately creates more interest. Look at Jurassic World, you think it would've done the numbers it did if we got 2-4 more "Jurassic"films in between III & World. Nope!
It seems like everything in films these days is having the "Marvel Formula" applied to it. Disney-Marvel ultimately wants to release 3 films per year. I'd be shocked if they don't try it w/ Star Wars eventually.

Reaction score
First Death Star. And Alan Tudyk is doing a mocap character, so there will be at least one alien in the mains. But yeah, having your first image be entirely humans doesn't make it feel particularly "star warsy"

Reaction score
First Death Star. And Alan Tudyk is doing a mocap character, so there will be at least one alien in the mains. But yeah, having your first image be entirely humans doesn't make it feel particularly "star warsy"
True, however, we didn't see any non-human Rebel species until Jedi.
I wonder if these aren't truly 'Rebels' at heart; the Rebels cartoon is supposed to be canon, and the 'Rebels' shown in that are already organised to some degree. I wonder if these are hired mercenaries who convert to to Rebels.

Reaction score
As far as a toy line would go, I would hope that we get some better quality of figures than what we are getting for Episode VII.

Reaction score
The visuals in that pic look decent, though it does remind me of an "Alienesque" look. Or even one of those low budget SyFy shows.
Regardless, the premise of Rogue One does not interest me. And if the figures are 5POA, neither will they. Though it is still too early to speculate on this line, IMO.

Reaction score
I know Lucas tried his best not to "date" the fashion of the OT, but part of me really wishes that the costumes and concept designs for Rogue One was a bit more reminiscent of the 70s/80s. Maybe a lot more floppy hair, bright colored flight suits, and grunge - as opposed to simply dark and gritty.

Reaction score
While it's cool to see a picture of the cast, it does give off that 'post-apocalyptic' feel to it rather then a Star Wars feel. Surprised they didn't throw in a R2 unit at least. I was surprised to see Forest Whitaker will be in this, I thought they would be going with unknown actors. Or they could, and are just throwing in a veteran actor to help out and balance things.

That guy with the mustache looks like Biggs, I hope it is. I know in the old EU he was involved with either stealing plans for the T-65 X-wings or stealing some R2 units for the Alliance - I believe it was the R2 units. If it is Biggs in the picture they could be borrowing some ideas. I know Disney said they could possibly be doing that but if its true we could start to see it.

Reaction score
I think the cast pic looks great! I do have to admit, though, that I wondered if it was for a Star Wars movie or a Suicide Squad sequel. :p

Reaction score
That photo looks awesome! :D Gets me very excited!

Loving the little OT nods - and liking the costumes shown (Diego's Luna's jacket looks like it's been plucked right outta ESB or ANH, IMO). He does indeed have the 'Biggs' look going on...

Locationwise, it does look like the inside of the Great Temple (on Yarvin 4).

Intriguing, and I can't wait to see more.

As far as figures are concerned, I'm hoping we get lots of new vehicles from Rogue One...

Reaction score
Rumor/Spoiler Alert
  Spoiler:  
Rumor is that there is supposed to be Bounty Hunters in this film. 7 I believe. Boba Fett, Dengar, IG-88, Bossk, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, and the big screen live-action debut of Cad Bane!

Reaction score
The cast photo has a very Matrix-like feel to it. I'm liking it for the era it represents. I'll pick up a handful of these figures if/when they're released.

Reaction score
It's amazing that we already have a cast photo (in costume) & a plot synopsis of this film & we're a year+ from it releasing. The Force Awakens is 4 months out & the only official plot synopsis couldn't be more vague. I'm sooooo glad Lucasfilm is throwing out JJ's mystery box after he's done.

Reaction score
I'm hoping the rebellious rogues will have some aliens?

Other than that, they really look like a bunch of smuglers hired by the rebellion.

Rumor/Spoiler Alert
  Spoiler:  
Rumor is that there is supposed to be Bounty Hunters in this film. 7 I believe. Boba Fett, Dengar, IG-88, Bossk, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, and the big screen live-action debut of Cad Bane!
  Spoiler:  
Boba is a certainty as part of Disney plans to relaunch that marketing icon. The rest, with the exception of cad, I doubt it, and instead will rather introduce new bounty hunters.

Reaction score
It's amazing that we already have a cast photo (in costume) & a plot synopsis of this film & we're a year+ from it releasing. The Force Awakens is 4 months out & the only official plot synopsis couldn't be more vague. I'm sooooo glad Lucasfilm is throwing out JJ's mystery box after he's done.
No real official plot synopsis about Rogue One. Only the potential hunt for the plans of one of the death stars.

As for Force Awaken, the plot is already revealed with the teaser trailers - A rise of new heroes against the resurrected Empire now called First Order.

Reaction score
When I saw this Picture, it screamed 3.75" SA figures. Those characters do not look like they're for Kids.

I agree with those that say it Looks like the Yavin Temple. The thruster in the back Looks like it came from a Naboo fighter. I really hope we see a bunch of OT vehicles released for this film.