Rogue One Thoughts & Reviews

Reaction score
There’s a reference in ANH that subscribes to Jedi— and describes it, as a “religion”. In RO, we’re shown the last remnants of that faith in its Holy City and its worshippers, pilgrims and guardians.

The worldbuilding aspect of Jedi architecture and culture has never been fully (if at all) fleshed out in 3 Prequel films. Nowhere in those 3 films, and in any subsequent expansion, did George restrict magical powers to only Jedi. Makes sense that a thoughtful writer/director would be inventive/creative enough to add an interesting component to Jedi: The Guardians of the Whill makes absolute sense as a lesser version of Jedi: In simplified terms, if the Jedi were the Lamas of the Force, then the Guardians and Chirrut would have been the equivalent of Shaolin Monks. And its absolutely sensible and organic that someone like Chirrut still possesses that magical quality— even if only in lesser attributes, than true Jedi. As a part of this rigid caste system of Jedi, mirroring our world's religious organizations: As a vessel of personal Faith, religion is a wonderful and powerful thing. But as an institution, it’s completely outdated, arrogant and harmful…

Reaction score
GL's ultimate intention was that the whills were actually "the midichlorians" -- a society of microscopic life forms which have a political "will" of their own (but no ability to influence the macroscopic world, like all the planets of the galactic senate) -- so instead they use the jedi to enact their "will" upon the macroscopic world. (ie: he imagined The Whills were a microscopic 'society' of tiny life forms).

he had even planned to do a movie from the Whills' POV -- where we would actually see this pure fantasy realm play out on screen (like MCU's Asgard) -- like a shrunken city / shrunken planet type of thing (like something out of "Horton Hears a Who") --> the "chosen one" would be the guy who has this shrunken city in his cells. (just as the "chosen one" was Horton, in the Dr.Seuss Classic). but in this case the role of Horton would be played by Anakin. Anakin would be the literal "Guardian of the Whills".

Reaction score
A person doesn't have to be a Jedi to manifest Force powers, we already know this. And we know he's not a Jedi. The question is did he have "Force" abilities?
Some believe he does based on his actions in the Movie, but his character has never officially been described as such. He may very well have more Midichlorians than the next guy, but does it really mean anything more than that? It's been discussed in other threads that even a baby can wild the Force, and not need any teaching. Hence Rey, so Chirrut having the Force isn't beyond belief. But he never displays anything close to Rey's abilities. So until LFL/Disney comments that he is indeed a layman Force user, I'll subscribe to the Blind Luck theory.

Though I do see a similarity between young Ani's advanced reflexes prior to being taught by a Jedi to use the Force. Which he then learns how to use those powers. Does that mean Chirrut was simply lacking the Teacher needed to to unlock those powers? The what happens to the "baby" theory, where anyone can use the Force?

Personally, I am all for him being a Force user/sensitive. As I'm a big fan of the Jedi lore, and think that aspect should never die from the films. But TPTB wanted a movie devoid of Force characters. So this was probably the approach they settled on. So because of this I do not look upon him as such, he's simply a skilled person with heightened senses and a tad bit of luck.