Rogue One Thoughts & Reviews

GNT

Reaction score
Some mini reviews/comments are up for Rogue One here. Seems like Rogue One is getting positive reviews so far which is good news :)

Share your thoughts and reviews here.

Reaction score
I find myself much more excited by this one than by TFA, mostly because it takes place in the OT era, maybe also a bit because I was deceived by ep7. I can't wait for Wednesday, I already have booked places to see it a couple of times on that day!

Last edited:
Reaction score
"As with The Force Awakens, a fair number of shots from the #RogueOne trailers aren't in the movie. But the trailers did capture the tone."

"Theres an amazing amount of footage/dialogue in the #RogueOne trailers and marketing that are not in the film, including Troopers in water."

"The plotting and objectives are needlessly murky, but the look of this thing is *ravishing*. Drop the "why" and embrace the "wow"
but.. but..

I'm all about the 'why'. :(

if a movie makes no sense, and is visually stunning, then it still makes no sense. *sigh*

-=======-

Look there, at that woman. My God, just look at her. Affecting everyone around her; so obvious, so bourgeois, so boring. But wait. Watch, you see, I have sent her a dessert…a very special dessert. I wrote it myself. It starts so simply; each line of the program creating a new effect, just like…poetry. First, a rush. Heat. Her heart flutters. You can see it, Neo, yes? She does not understand, why? Is it the wine? No…what is it, then, what is the reason? But soon it does not matter. Soon the why and the reason are gone, and all that matters is the feeling itself. And this is the nature of the universe; we struggle against it, we fight to deny it, but it is of course pretend, it is a lie. Beneath our poised appearance, the truth is, we are completely out of control. [inhales] Causality. There is no escaping it. We are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the "why". "Why" is what separates us from them, you from me. "Why" is the only real source of power, without it you are powerless. And this is how you come to me: without "why", without power...

--> hoping the reviewer just couldn't fathom the 'why' ... and was merely distracted by the 'wow'. :p

but to "..DROP the why, and embrace the wow?" o-o that's... that's.... that's unamerican. or unstarwarsian. (or something).

--> if that's what's required , to enjoy DisneyStarWars , then.. OMG...

...(wait for it)....

..." I Have A Bad Feeling About This. " :p LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
I read the spoilers at the sideshow freaks message board. Thursday can't get here fast enough.

Reaction score
Eh, I am going to wait till the first of the year. I am going to let the excitement die down a bit but I am looking forward to the film. As for the plot its about how and who got the plans to the Alliance. It like going to see the movie(please don't hate me for this)Titianic and not knowing the boat sinks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I figured out what's going on with Star Wars and Disney, and why Star Wars is...well becoming what it's becoming. While it has been discussed and argued over at length, it's clear the problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She's got a a specific agenda and it's affecting the outcome of the films. She's going off the deep end with her girl power politics. From the over powered Rey to Jin. I just watched ANOTHER clip, of Jin being rescued and you guessed it. She beats all the men up, even though she's being "rescued" by them. It's another "I don't need no man" moment. If you watch the scene it doesn't even make sense. What's the motives here? This is right after Kennedy announced her search for female directors as well as her tweets about her team being female. If you think this is "equality", you're an idiot.

Reaction score
I'm going to actually watch the film first and see if I enjoy it or not before I venture forth with an opinion. Radical?

Reaction score
I think I figured out what's going on with Star Wars and Disney, and why Star Wars is...well becoming what it's becoming. While it has been discussed and argued over at length, it's clear the problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She's got a a specific agenda and it's affecting the outcome of the films. She's going off the deep end with her girl power politics. From the over powered Rey to Jin. I just watched ANOTHER clip, of Jin being rescued and you guessed it. She beats all the men up, even though she's being "rescued" by them. It's another "I don't need no man" moment. If you watch the scene it doesn't even make sense. What's the motives here? This is right after Kennedy announced her search for female directors as well as her tweets about her team being female. If you think this is "equality", you're an idiot.
Not so much Kathleen’s fault-- or to her credit since she is nowhere near the social/political innovator, nor the risk-taking visionary she may have convinced middle-America/ the average family that she is.

It’s just the mood of the masses at the moment: Girls/women are always in the superior, positive, higher ground position/role, as are POC, in mainstream films/media. Disney and SW is as mainstream as it gets, so the fact that Kathleen is just pandering to the masses, shouldn’t be a surprise. And she is definitely undeserving of any social/political sway she may think she has. She’s just obediently towing corporate line. People like her and JJ are the death of creativity.

But I absolutely agree with you July, that it has nothing to do with “equality”: It’s compensating, it’s patronizing, and it’s affirmative action at work here.

Cobalt posted a great commentary on the extreme-bais towards “white men”, while women and POC in mainstream films/media are pampered and celebrated to such heights in the now-locked thread about Disney/Kathleen. Sadly, there will always be those that are so predictably blind in their party lines towing— whether that’s conservative or liberal, that rather than discuss his thoughtful post, which was pure logic and reason, and had nothing to do with support of either liberal/conservative mindset, there just had to be the “usual suspects” ranting, insulting, antagonizing on either side.

Anyway, RO could still be a decent, even a good story (maybe even... great?). I don’t mind Jyn being a Mary Sue/ Superwoman since I’ve always been drawn to lethal women in films, as long as the story is one that’s strong and interesting: If Gareth is able to-- or allowed to, bring a fresh sensibility to the tried-and tested formula that Disney is so insistent on for SW, then there may still be... hope (although all those reshoot and recut stories are a tad discouraging), that this will be a fun and strong story. I'm still open. And as predicted, Gareth’s visual tone seems to be the star of the show, and in these tepid, polite, and dumbed-down Disney times, that’s not such a terrible thing. The last visually-striking SW film was ESB… TPM had some sparks of vision (The helicopter shot of the TF at the doorsteps of the Theed Palace alone was worldbuilding…), but it’s been a drought since 1999 in terms of anything remotely original, fresh, visionary, or risk-taking when it comes to SW.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't believe Jar Jar was in it. & it wasn't that Bad.

Spoiler:  
Although in my defence I'm still recovering from Batman v Superman

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm going to actually watch the film first and see if I enjoy it or not before I venture forth with an opinion. Radical?
IF ..IF this is a response to my post, this response misrepresents my argument as I was not criticizing the entire film. Rather I was commenting on some of the observable real world political positions in much of Star Wars media and in particular a few of the clips I have seen.

Reaction score
Not so much Kathleen’s fault-- or to her credit since she is nowhere near the social/political innovator, nor the risk-taking visionary she may have convinced middle-America/ the average family that she is.

It’s just the mood of the masses at the moment: Girls/women are always in the superior, positive, higher ground position/role, as are POC, in mainstream films/media. Disney and SW is as mainstream as it gets, so the fact that Kathleen is just pandering to the masses, shouldn’t be a surprise. And she is definitely undeserving of any social/political sway she may think she has. She’s just obediently towing corporate line. People like her and JJ are the death of creativity.

But I absolutely agree with you July, that it has nothing to do with “equality”: It’s compensating, it’s patronizing, and it’s affirmative action at work here.

Cobalt posted a great commentary on the extreme-bais towards “white men”, while women and POC in mainstream films/media are pampered and celebrated to such heights in the now-locked thread about Disney/Kathleen. Sadly, there will always be those that are so predictably blind in their party lines towing— whether that’s conservative or liberal, that rather than discuss his thoughtful post, which was pure logic and reason, and had nothing to do with support of either liberal/conservative mindset, there just had to be the “usual suspects” ranting, insulting, antagonizing on either side.

Anyway, RO could still be a decent, even a good story (maybe even... great?). I don’t mind Jyn being a Mary Sue/ Superwoman since I’ve always been drawn to lethal women in films, as long as the story is one that’s strong and interesting: If Gareth is able to-- or allowed to, bring a fresh sensibility to the tried-and tested formula that Disney is so insistent on for SW, then there may still be... hope (although all those reshoot and recut stories are a tad discouraging), that this will be a fun and strong story. I'm still open. And as predicted, Gareth’s visual tone seems to be the star of the show, and in these tepid, polite, and dumbed-down Disney times, that’s not such a terrible thing. The last visually-striking SW film was ESB… TPM had some sparks of vision (The helicopter shot of the TF at the doorsteps of the Theed Palace alone was worldbuilding…), but it’s been a drought since 1999 in terms of anything remotely original, fresh, visionary, or risk-taking when it comes to SW.
Well said and I agree Rogue One can still be a great film, I know I find it more exciting and it seems to be more creative than episode 7.

Reaction score
Look at ESPN. i assume Kathleen Kennedy is not in charge there.

It’s just the mood of the masses at the moment
Is it? I think people are confusing the masses with people in certain professions and positions.

Reaction score

Jyn isnt a "superwoman" or a "lethal woman". Jyn is just a normal woman. She doesnt have special powers, it just so happens that she is a woman. Its a total non-starter.

Reaction score
^^^ Yes, Jyn is just like Bridget Jones....

Star Wars is a space fairy tale-- nothing of it is "normal". Don't be so literal: I was using the term "Superwoman" in a figurative sense and nothing even approaching criticism nor mockery.

Well said and I agree Rogue One can still be a great film, I know I find it more exciting and it seems to be more creative than episode 7.
A doc on tofu-making is infinitely more creative than TFA. At leas that doc is showing something new— TFA is just an expensive, wallpaper-bland cosplay tribute act to the OT produced by a marketing team.

Even if the characters annoy in this, I’ve been won over by Gareth’s overwhelmingly impressive sets— seemingly treating the environments in RO as formidable personalities of their own; even the DS— which by now, under any other circumstances feel so tired, looks so alive, so brutally imposing and… appropriately deadly in all its impossibly, colossal weight, is freshly impressive. I got that from him since Monsters, and as much as I didn’t care for Godzilla— which is not at all his fault, just as a personal preference, I’ve always found the monster Godzilla so silly. Add to it that Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche having the exact same haircut, the film was unwatchable for me. (I did love the soldiers diving into the dark city with only their flares lighting their descend to certain dooms: It was beautifully filmed. So, I am glad Gareth wasn’t totally stripped off his strong sense of style for RO.

I won’t be seeing RO until the new year, since none of my friends care for SW and I won’t have time to indulge in this guilty pleasure on my own anytime soon. I hope you’ll enjoy it July, along with the likes of Cobalt and those that didn’t care for TFA. You guys that are infinitely more devoted to SW, but still critical of it and always demanding the best of it rather than settling for cheapness, definitely deserve a SW up to your standards. Gareth is the only name involved with a “Star War” so far that I can be hopeful of delivering some sophistication, some style and risk.

The reviews that have been petering in all seem positive for this little film. But then so were the ones that initially came in for AOTC, ROTS… and if anyone were to read the reviews for TFA, they’d be convinced it’s leagues ahead of ESB… I can’t blame fandom for instantly loving anything SW: Heroine addicts also can’t wait to get their next fix LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got tickets for the Thursday 10:15pm showing.. going with my buddy who is also a star wars fanatic like me..
Watching it a second time on Sunday with my wife and son...

Reaction score
^^^ Yes, Jyn is just like Bridget Jones....

Star Wars is a space fairy tale-- nothing of it is "normal". Don't be so literal: I was using the term "Superwoman" in a figurative sense and nothing even approaching criticism nor mockery.

A doc on tofu-making is infinitely more creative than TFA. At leas that doc is showing something new— TFA is just an expensive, wallpaper-bland cosplay tribute act to the OT produced by a marketing team.

Even if the characters annoy in this, I’ve been won over by Gareth’s overwhelmingly impressive sets— seemingly treating the environments in RO as formidable personalities of their own; even the DS— which by now, under any other circumstances feel so tired, looks so alive, so brutally imposing and… appropriately deadly in all its impossibly, colossal weight, is freshly impressive. I got that from him since Monsters, and as much as I didn’t care for Godzilla— which is not at all his fault, just as a personal preference, I’ve always found the monster Godzilla so silly. Add to it that Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche having the exact same haircut, the film was unwatchable for me. (I did love the soldiers diving into the dark city with only their flares lighting their descend to certain dooms: It was beautifully filmed. So, I am glad Gareth wasn’t totally stripped off his strong sense of style for RO.

I won’t be seeing RO until the new year, since none of my friends care for SW and I won’t have time to indulge in this guilty pleasure on my own anytime soon. I hope you’ll enjoy it July, along with the likes of Cobalt and those that didn’t care for TFA. You guys that are infinitely more devoted to SW, but still critical of it and always demanding the best of it rather than settling for cheapness, definitely deserve a SW up to your standards. Gareth is the only name involved with a “Star War” so far that I can be hopeful of delivering some sophistication, some style and risk.

The reviews that have been petering in all seem positive for this little film. But then so were the ones that initially came in for AOTC, ROTS… and if anyone were to read the reviews for TFA, they’d be convinced it’s leagues ahead of ESB… I can’t blame fandom for instantly loving anything SW: Heroine addicts also can’t wait to get their next fix LOL
R1 is definitely a better film than TFA narratively. And I wasnt taking your comment of "superwoman" literally, actually. I know what you were saying, and that said Jyn isnt that at all. She is just a normal person, she isnt superman and she isnt the Chosen One. That makes this story better IMO.

Reaction score
Some of these posts are embarrassing.
Snipping from the far corner instead of engaging with what you disagree with is more embarrassing. With rebelscum traffic you don't even have to worry about not having the time to respond.

Reaction score
R1 is definitely a better film than TFA narratively. And I wasnt taking your comment of "superwoman" literally, actually. I know what you were saying, and that said Jyn isnt that at all. She is just a normal person, she isnt superman and she isnt the Chosen One. That makes this story better IMO.
You're talking like you've seen it. Have you seen it?
If not then what you say means nothing at this point surely?

Reaction score
she has a kyber crystal around her neck, as per: "splinter of the mind's eye" -- this will serve to explain any/all accusations of metahuman (Mary Sue) behavior :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
there is no metahuman behaviour. The crystal doent give power.
Good. Because I want the next Star Wars movie to be nothing but two hours of a gay disabled black women beating up white men just to see a certain section of the audiences head explode like a robot in Star Trek confusing themselves to death.

GNT

Reaction score
Rogue One was very entertaining and faced paced at the start, quite a few planets shown.

The cgi Tarkington could've been better, it works but it isn't 100% good

Reaction score
Just back from viewing it 2 times in a row, I won't say anything for those who haven't seen it but it was great.

Reaction score
Back from first morning showing. Definitely not the Star Wars movie we grew up with. Make sure you go see it with an open mind as it's a totally new ride full of surprises... and certainly a few flaws as well. Anyway, a very enjoyable and quite frankly an unexpected experience visiting the Star Wars universe with the eyes of Gareth Edwards.

Reaction score
Seriously guys? I was totally freaked out and almost fell from my seat. I may not be seeing enough movies lately as i was blown away by the job done with Tarkin (not so much with the other character). looking back at 2005 ROTS cameo, the evolution of technology in the last decade is just unbelievable. I'm wondering what Peter Cushing's family reaction was (or would be) looking at those shots.

Reaction score
Seriously guys? I was totally freaked out and almost fell from my seat. I may not be seeing enough movies lately as i was blown away by the job done with Tarkin (not so much with the other character). looking back at 2005 ROTS cameo, the evolution of technology in the last decade is just unbelievable. I'm wondering what Peter Cushing's family reaction was (or would be) looking at those shots.
I've found Tarking great too! Maybe because I'm not seeing a lot of newest movies as well. The last recent movie I saw was... The Force Awakens last year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I thought it was incredible. But the point is its not perfect.

GNT

Reaction score
I've found Tarking great too! Maybe because I'm not seeing a lot of newest movies as well. The last recent movie I saw was... The Force Awakens last year.
The voice and lips appeared to me to be out of sync which is what bugged me the most. The likeness was decent yes and worked well when just standing around but it felt totally fake when he moved or talked. Still a pretty decent attempt.

Reaction score
Same here. I can't bring myself to spend €12 to €15 in a theater ticket unless it has something to do with Star Wars.