Rogue One - General Film Discussion Thread

Reaction score
If you haven't watched the How it should have ended (HISHE) for RO, you should. It's pretty spot on.

Reaction score
If you haven't watched the How it should have ended (HISHE) for RO, you should. It's pretty spot on.
No. It's not really. They try to make jokes from their own blindfolded narratives, and for a some years they've lost their touch where the humour was based on their own originality.

Reaction score
Even if she survived, I'm not sure for how long she would after that Duel. Would she be able to last until the ST, and help Mentor Luke after ROTJ?
With all the unknowns, who's to say what they'll do. It was said once that they would never bring an Animated character into the movies. Well, that was wrong.

I know she has her haters, but I would like to see a good fulfilling story to her. Much rather see her go on as opposed to Ezra.
I would LOVE to see Ahsoka mentor Luke, talk about full circle. Plus I'm sure there'd be some interaction with the Force ghosts. I'd be fine with a book and not being in a movie.

Reaction score
I would LOVE to see Ahsoka mentor Luke, talk about full circle. Plus I'm sure there'd be some interaction with the Force ghosts. I'd be fine with a book and not being in a movie.
I do like that idea. At some point in the EU she went and joined the Altisian Jedi with more relaxed views on relationships and attachment etc. Kind of a Grey Jedi sect that hid out aboard the Chu'unthor praxeum ship in the clouds of Bespin. I really dug that storyline. I also dig that ship as well.

Reaction score
^^^Sorry just correcting myself; but Ahsoka did not join the altisians in the EU, but herself and Anakin were offered sanctuary upon a visit during the clone wars should they be expelled or choose to leave the jedi order.

Reaction score
So which version is everyone buying? I think I'll just get the BR set. All the special packaging variants don't interest me.

Reaction score
Picked up the Wal-mart version. Mostly because it was the most convenient to grab this morning before work. And while I don't collect or actively buy them I like the Pogs they include. ;)

Reaction score
If the BB Steelbook had been more interesting/cool looking, I'd have possibly got it. So I've just decided to get the standard version since it will be free.

Reaction score
I was a little let down by the special features. What's there was interesting, but it certainly didn't feel like it required an extra disc. And for Pete's (hah!) sake, could they just give us the trailers again? I know they're all over youtube and the net, but I for one have always liked having the trailers with the movie. Star Wars' trailers have always been fantastic.

Reaction score
I would have loved to see the deleted scenes which must be quite a bit. Maybe the 10 year anniversary?

Reaction score
We caved in and bought the digital release on PS4 about a week ago and Ive watched the film every night since then. Its is possibly the most fun of any star wars film to play with toys just because you can pretty much use all of your OT toys as being just off screen and even can use some of your PT stuff since the Turbo tank is in Rogue one. My sons and I usually announce that the TT is getting pulled out of the closet for the evening by yelling " Congratulations you are being rescued"

Utinniii

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that the tank scene and the Chirrut/Stormtrooper battle were filmed on the same location?
Aslo, I liked how they had OT and ST aliens in the first ring planet (although seeing a pilgrim there without the helmet kinda bugged me.

Reaction score
Ok so this might be getting a bit nitpicky, but watching again last night got me wondering... why didn't Galen on the message just say "At xyz location *points* there's a small thermal exhaust port right below the main port, proton torpedo that sum***** and kablooey." Instead of "I built a flaw in it, go to a heavily fortified Imperial world, steal a copy of the plans, and then pour over them until hopefully you find it." :hmm:

Reaction score
I agree, but they needed a reason for everyone to die that was plausible. And in the same vein, an actual technical readout. Without the actual plans, they wouldn't have a frame of reference for the week spots.

One thing that really bothered me again, the second viewing. Was that the crew was all Human. When are we going to get a more equal representation? If this was a movie set near earth, I could see it consisting of mostly Humans. But this is in a galaxy ripe with Aliens, and not one could join the crew on their crusade?

Reaction score
The character design for Pao was pretty cool. Too bad he wasn't more a main character.

Reaction score
I agree, but they needed a reason for everyone to die that was plausible. And in the same vein, an actual technical readout. Without the actual plans, they wouldn't have a frame of reference for the week spots.

One thing that really bothered me again, the second viewing. Was that the crew was all Human. When are we going to get a more equal representation? If this was a movie set near earth, I could see it consisting of mostly Humans. But this is in a galaxy ripe with Aliens, and not one could join the crew on their crusade?
Thats very true. They made such a big deal about casting a group of ethnically diverse people, but they failed at including some actual SW diversity lol

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think they actually got away with using more Rebel aliens than they should. Because of ANH's medal ceremony, we knew there weren't any other aliens. Heck, they didn't even bother to give the wookie a medal. We didn't see Mon Calamari until ROTJ.

Since the Empire was hardest on Aliens, they would have been the first to rebel. Had they joined the Rebellion instead of just individual factions, then the final vote for attacking Scarrif would have been way different. A bunch of elite humans wouldn't understand the impact of the Death Star and would see surrender or ignoring the Empire as a viable option. Raddus understood.

Any aliens HAD to die and killing to many would reduce the impact of how many Bothans died later on.

I'm not going to get into how real wars historically treated minority groups but lets just say they they were usually in the front lines. It makes sense to me that aliens wouldn't see any difference between Rebel Humans and Empire humans until the Rebel humans proved they were really against the Empire (dissolving the Senate was also a big factor). On a personal note, some people I've met didn't distinguish that because I am part German doesn't also mean I am part Nazi.

With regards to the rest of the movie, they had a nice blend of OT Aliens and even one from TFA. They created a number of new aliens as well so it was still interesting.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Ok so this might be getting a bit nitpicky, but watching again last night got me wondering... why didn't Galen on the message just say "At xyz location *points* there's a small thermal exhaust port right below the main port, proton torpedo that sum***** and kablooey." Instead of "I built a flaw in it, go to a heavily fortified Imperial world, steal a copy of the plans, and then pour over them until hopefully you find it." :hmm:

My take was it if it was that easy, the flaw would have been found. I also think that would have been an easy fix, otherwise he could have just sent the plans to everyone.
He might have also been worried it got into the wrong hands or he was being watched.

Reaction score
My take was it if it was that easy, the flaw would have been found. I also think that would have been an easy fix, otherwise he could have just sent the plans to everyone.
He might have also been worried it got into the wrong hands or he was being watched.
Yeah I thought of that, but if all the rebels had to do was analyze the plans to find the weakness (once they knew there was one intentionally built in), then if Galen got caught or the message was intercepted by the empire then all they would have to do is analyze the plans themselves. I'd just be like "shoot right there." But like MasterFett pointed out, the result would be the movie would end pretty short and easy.

Again, nitpicky, I know. Lol, that's the part I have trouble with, not the force, lightsabers, lightspeed, moon size space stations that can destroy a planet, engine sounds in space, useless armor, oh no I've gone cross-eyed. ;)

Reaction score
Yeah I guess if he had just said in the message where the flaw was, then there would be no movie lol

Reaction score
It's not clear that Galen had anything to do with the exhaust port. He just said his "trap" was building a flaw into the reactor. And that any hit on the reactor would cause it to blow up.

For all Galen and anyone else knew, maybe the best way to blow up the reactor would be to go to crew quarters on deck 86 and plug in a hair dryer.

The exhaust port could have been the Alliance's own discovery/idea.

Reaction score
It's not clear that Galen had anything to do with the exhaust port. He just said his "trap" was building a flaw into the reactor. And that any hit on the reactor would cause it to blow up.

For all Galen and anyone else knew, maybe the best way to blow up the reactor would be to go to crew quarters on deck 86 and plug in a hair dryer.

The exhaust port could have been the Alliance's own discovery/idea.
The novelization actually covers that it was the the exhaust port specifically; albeit the novel isn't the movie. But, that's a very good point Lance_Quazar.

Reaction score
The novelization actually covers that it was the the exhaust port specifically; albeit the novel isn't the movie. But, that's a very good point Lance_Quazar.
Thanks. :)

Ugh. I guess it's refreshing to know that, even in the post-Disney purchase EU relaunch, Star Wars novel writers are still wasting ink explaining EVERY LITTLE STUPID THING that doesn't need to be explained!

I think it works much better that Galen didn't plan on the exhaust port specifically. Who knows, maybe an infiltration squad could have snuck into the Death Star and blown up the reactor from within. Still makes Galen heroic while saving some of the know-how for the rest of the Rebellion.

Besides, the exhaust port had SUCH a high degree of difficulty that it would have been crazy for Galen to bank on someone being able to do that.

Reaction score
I don't think Galen imagined anyone hitting the reactor from the exhaust port (I go by the movie, not the novelization.) I'm assuming that he was planning all along to commit suicide by taking out the reactor himself but then was thrown a curveball when the Empire moved him off site during the final stages of construction. When the DS was just days from completion and he was still on Eadu he panicked and hastily prepared a last minute message for Saw.

Reaction score
I don't think Galen imagined anyone hitting the reactor from the exhaust port (I go by the movie, not the novelization.) I'm assuming that he was planning all along to commit suicide by taking out the reactor himself but then was thrown a curveball when the Empire moved him off site during the final stages of construction. When the DS was just days from completion and he was still on Eadu he panicked and hastily prepared a last minute message for Saw.
I like that explanation, too.

Reaction score
Very good point Khev. I would have loved to have seen the Emperors reaction when the Death Star blew up! He must have felt a great disturbance in the force. Paybacks!

Reaction score
A pack of aliens, droids and Saw's warriors from the Jedha streets would have been awesome indeed! There are great designs.

Reaction score
Utinniii, you never cease to amaze me. That is spectacular.

Are there any reference photos of the creature? Or a name?

At first I thought it was a Fambaa from Naboo. And when I screen capped it it looked like it was a big smiley faced shark-horse.

But you got it right with a giraffe. So cool. :{D

Utinniii

Reaction score
Utinniii, you never cease to amaze me. That is spectacular.

Are there any reference photos of the creature? Or a name?

At first I thought it was a Fambaa from Naboo. And when I screen capped it it looked like it was a big smiley faced shark-horse.

But you got it right with a giraffe. So cool. :{D
I used the art from above. They do appear at least twice in the movie. One time, a pair of them can be seen in a long shot but there is no detail. The other time is when the Probot passes through. That droid kept distracting me from seeing them.

Reaction score
The wookieepedia has a little more on them.

But the way Disney is taking its sweet time developing their "canon" is really disconcerting. Like they're half assing it. Or just don't care.

I was expecting the beast to at least be named. "Space camels" is just about it. And I bet these are going to be Disney's idea for the AT-AT shape. Goes well with that Family Guy ESB scene about giant mechanical camels.

Luke apparently rode one of these mounts in a comic book. :{3

Reaction score

Those are the 2 scenes I mentioned earlier. Thanks for posting them.

I really need to finish that beast!
What you've done so far looks great, would love to see it finished, wish we'd seen more of them on film.
Is it a standard trooper riding? Or specialized armor? helmet? pike? pack?

Utinniii

Reaction score
The pics are to blurry to tell, but the artwork shows it to be standard armor. Strangely enough, I just bought the Stormtrooper/Baze 2 pack at Dollarama today and compared it to the artwork. Both have the orange pauldron and ammo pouch.
Now I'm one step closer to finishing.

Those are some great pics BTW.