Rogue One - General Film Discussion Thread

GNT

Reaction score
Please use this thread to discuss any general news or information related to Rogue One film, this thread will be the only film discussion thread in this section.

If your remaining Spoiler Free, it'd be best to stay clear. Spoilers maybe posted if pictures or info has been released, otherwise warning tags need to be applied.

Reaction score
Is Jyn Erso a good guy? I get the feeling there might be a double cross...
That trailer shot of her being headed off by the TIE Figher at close quarter looks awfully like she might be making her escape and getting rescued by her Imperial buddies?
She doesn't draw her blaster...

Not at all familiar with any of the extended universe. So I have no idea what the character is all about. Just some thoughts on what I see as a possible twist, also based on the fact she wears a TIE Pilot uniform in the teaser.

Reaction score
Is Jyn Erso a good guy? I get the feeling there might be a double cross...
That trailer shot of her being headed off by the TIE Figher at close quarter looks awfully like she might be making her escape and getting rescued by her Imperial buddies?
She doesn't draw her blaster...
No. I think the scene is the exact opposite of what you describe. That's likely her finall act of reaching the top of the transmission tower, when it looks like she will finally be able to send the DS plans, surprise one final obstacle!

My guess she, sends the plans, but whoever is in that Tie cuts her down. She dies a hero

also based on the fact she wears a TIE Pilot uniform in the teaser.
Both Jyn and Cassian Andor can be scene wearing imperial disguises, they likely use them to infiltrate the base, and steal the DS plans.

Not at all familiar with any of the extended universe. So I have no idea what the character is all about. Just some thoughts on what I see as a possible twist, ...
No this is not an expanded universe story or characters. Although there are some parallels to Jyn Erso/Jan Orse, Cassian Andor/Kyle Kattarn of the Dark Forces game, which covered a similar plot of the Rebels stealing the plans, , R1 is completley it's own telling of events in the original opening crawl.

Reaction score
It's been too long since I read it, but I was thinking there seems to be some pretty good parallels between what we've seen for Rogue One and the ending of the old EU novel "Rebel Dawn". If my books weren't in storage I would go look and be certain. Jyn Erso might be closer to Bria Tharen then Jan Orrs. wow now I am feeling old, it's been close to twenty years since I read that book.

And a little warning of sorts, if you haven't seen it already. Some of you might want to avoid watching the new international trailer for Rogue One. There was a pretty big, although brief, reveal in it that felt like a big spoiler that I would have rather seen in theaters than in a trailer.

Reaction score
And a little warning of sorts, if you haven't seen it already. Some of you might want to avoid watching the new international trailer for Rogue One. There was a pretty big, although brief, reveal in it that felt like a big spoiler that I would have rather seen in theaters than in a trailer.
If it's what I assume you're talking about, Mads Mikkelsen spoiled it in a widely circulated international interview, months back, so they probably felt comfortable, expanding on that in the international trailer.

Reaction score
Somewhere there was also a scene of Jyn near the transmission tower where she has her blaster drawn and then jumps down to avoid a blast, so who knows how that scene will all play out.

Reaction score
Excited for the new movie, looks good from what we have so far. Love the looks of the buildings, and of course the tank. Not looking forward to the poor figure offerings we look to get at this point. I like the six inch figures, but without some playsets or vehicles its tough to get behind them.

Reaction score
Excited for the new movie, looks good from what we have so far. Love the looks of the buildings, and of course the tank. Not looking forward to the poor figure offerings we look to get at this point. I like the six inch figures, but without some playsets or vehicles its tough to get behind them.
Agree here. I'm really excited about this, but a huge part of the SW experience of a new film has always been the toys to go with it. Hasbro's offerings are truly disappointing and that makes me a lot less excited about this film.:(

Reaction score
How do we know the toys are going to be disappointing?
Easy. Strictly based on what was available for TFA, that "I" collect. And their comment that R1 wouldn't have as much, leads me to believe this. Personally speaking, TFA was a letdown, so I'm expecting the same for R1. In the line that "I" collect, there were a total of 5 figure for TFA. I only bought 4 5POA figures to customize, Sidon Ithano, Tasu Leech, Sarco Plank and Guavian Enforcer Also bought Maz, but I don't plan to modify her.

Didn't buy any vehicles, nor any other non core line stuff.

Reaction score
For it not to be, we need some X-Wings, at least. They've already blown it on the U-Wing. Let's just say I have a bad feeling about this line, but a great feeling about the film.
Easy. Strictly based on what was available for TFA, that "I" collect. And their comment that R1 wouldn't have as much, leads me to believe this. Personally speaking, TFA was a letdown, so I'm expecting the same for R1. In the line that "I" collect, there were a total of 5 figure for TFA. I only bought 4 5POA figures to customize, Sidon Ithano, Tasu Leech, Sarco Plank and Guavian Enforcer Also bought Maz, but I don't plan to modify her.

Didn't buy any vehicles, nor any other non core line stuff.

I agree that TFA wasnt great, and for SA only collectors it was a disaster. I also realise that the noises we have heard are not encouraging.
That said, I will wait to see whats on offer before coming to conclusions. I certainly don't know for sure that the RO product is going to be disappointing.

Reaction score

I agree that TFA wasnt great, and for SA only collectors it was a disaster. I also realise that the noises we have heard are not encouraging.
That said, I will wait to see whats on offer before coming to conclusions. I certainly don't know for sure that the RO product is going to be disappointing.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. My concern is knowing that the line will be smaller than TFA, I'm thinking that with so many vehicle repacks, there might not really be many slots open for RO vehicles. The rebel group is made up of at least 5 characters plus any other rebels seen on that troop transport, so just seeing some of those made, would probably fill out all of the slots for RO. By repacking stuff from last year in the vehicle line, I'm just wondering where the slots for RO stuff will be.

May I ask what you'd like to see in the line or what would make the line not disappointing for you?

Reaction score
I haven't read the Tarkin book, but I believe it is part of the new canon. Does anybody know if Krennic shows up in the book?

Reaction score
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. My concern is knowing that the line will be smaller than TFA, I'm thinking that with so many vehicle repacks, there might not really be many slots open for RO vehicles. The rebel group is made up of at least 5 characters plus any other rebels seen on that troop transport, so just seeing some of those made, would probably fill out all of the slots for RO. By repacking stuff from last year in the vehicle line, I'm just wondering where the slots for RO stuff will be.

May I ask what you'd like to see in the line or what would make the line not disappointing for you?

Where does this quote come from that the line is smaller than TFA? Is that direct from Hasbro at SDCC? I dont recall them saying exactly that.

My expectations are around 50 figures, (90% 5POA). I dont care about 6", vehicles or anything else. I also want a TFA Luke and Leia and a couple of OT figures. If that happens I will be happy. I think these are realistic enough at this point?

Reaction score
That's the difficult thing about that quote. It was mentioned somewhere and the source has been forgotten (at least I can't remember) and it's gotten its own legs and has been off and running as if it were 100% from Hasbro.
I think one of the Hasbro guys actually did say that at SDCC, but I can't confirm that 100%.

So, 50 figures between September 30th and some point in the spring of 2017, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Reaction score
That's the difficult thing about that quote. It was mentioned somewhere and the source has been forgotten (at least I can't remember) and it's gotten its own legs and has been off and running as if it were 100% from Hasbro.
I think one of the Hasbro guys actually did say that at SDCC, but I can't confirm that 100%.

So, 50 figures between September 30th and some point in the spring of 2017, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Agrred, yeah thats exactly what happens with quotes. I try to remember anything Hasbro actually says directly, especially stuff like that. And I dont recall them saying that.
Yeah I would think around 50 figures during its whole run would be what I expect, thats around what they did for TFA, and I would want around the same. Whether we get that or not, is another matter though. It may well be a smaller line, and I really hope thats not the case.

Reaction score
Ah right, should realized this thread never went off topic.
About third of the way in Jyn says, "there'll be "XX" number of figures in the line. Then the film continues.;)
Continues to the scene where she then runs off, and the creepy Death-Troopers open all he mint-in-box figures and play with them. :grin:

No wonder she rebels! :awesome:

Reaction score
I really think this film is gong to be good. I'm really looking forward to it and the new characters look very interesting.

Reaction score
I actually think this film won't be great. But it'll be a decent place-holder movie to keep us preoccupied until Episode VIII.

Reaction score
I read SW: Bloodline not too long ago and based on a sentence in the book, and what we're hearing about the character of Galen Erso, Jyn's Father, I think in RO we're going to find out that the thermal exhaust port was designed as a built in weakness by Galen to allow the Death Star to be destroyed.

Reaction score
I actually think this film won't be great. But it'll be a decent place-holder movie to keep us preoccupied until Episode VIII.
While we are throwing feelings/bets out there, I have a feeling that R1 will be better than VII by a mile and possibly the rest of the ST as well... Not even sure why but I just have a really good feeling about this one.

Reaction score
I read SW: Bloodline not too long ago and based on a sentence in the book, and what we're hearing about the character of Galen Erso, Jyn's Father, I think in RO we're going to find out that the thermal exhaust port was designed as a built in weakness by Galen to allow the Death Star to be destroyed.
I appreciate that spoiler. And it retroactively makes things more sentimental in A New Hope.

Reaction score
Ugh, please no. The whole reason that the Empire wouldn't have considered the exhaust port as a problem was because they thought that no one would be able to line up that theoretical shot so perfectly... unless that person was using the Force, but the Jedi's fire had gone out in the galaxy and Darth Vader was all that was left of their religion, so it's totally safe.

It's a perfect example of the complacency that is bred from overconfidence in your own supremacy.

Making it into a flaw built into the space station intentionally just smacks of Prequel-level revisionism and makes the entire Death Star attack seem like it was predetermined to succeed.

Reaction score
Ugh, please no. The whole reason that the Empire wouldn't have considered the exhaust port as a problem was because they thought that no one would be able to line up that theoretical shot so perfectly... unless that person was using the Force, but the Jedi's fire had gone out in the galaxy and Darth Vader was all that was left of their religion, so it's totally safe.

It's a perfect example of the complacency that is bred from overconfidence in your own supremacy.

Making it into a flaw built into the space station intentionally just smacks of Prequel-level revisionism and makes the entire Death Star attack seem like it was predetermined to succeed.
Yes, you tell 'em BB. I agree 100%. The SW universe has become smaller and smaller and all of this "PT-Level" revisionism has really gotten on my nerves and the films really didn't/don't need stuff like that.

If he did do that intentionally and from what we saw in a recent trailer, then why didn't he just send a message to the Rebels and they wouldn't have had to steal the actual plans?

Reaction score

Exactly. I even would go to say the Empire didn't care or realize about the exhaust port danger until the Rebels started to dive into the trench to hit it.

I bet the Imperials didn't understand what the Rebels were doing, then someone put the pieces together, and saw the danger.

That's clear, from what Chief Bast tells Tarkin.

Reaction score
On another subject, does anyone know if the movie was fianlly filmed (and will be presented) in 70mm Panavision?

Or that idea was ditched?

Reaction score
Well, this film will be out in less than three months. Looking forward to this more than TFA, due to it taking place right before Episode IV (ANH). This is one of my favorite eras re: the SW films.

I like how they're including some of the existing EU - i.e. Deathtroopers (which look like Black Hole's Stormtroopers from the SW newspaper strip) & a Grand Admiral, many OT elements (Stormtroopers, DV, AT-AT's, ERG's, etc.)...while still creating new elements for the film - i.e., the martial arts expert that takes out the Stormtroopers, the Forest Whitaker character, etc.

Reaction score
Wow - this is ridiculous. I hope this doesn't make it's way into Rouge One, but it sounds like it will. I haven't followed the SW EU novels/comics in several years, and it's been tough to keep track what is "canon" and what isn't.

Reaction score
Well, this film will be out in less than three months. Looking forward to this more than TFA, due to it taking place right before Episode IV (ANH). This is one of my favorite eras re: the SW films.

I like how they're including some of the existing EU - i.e. Deathtroopers (which look like Black Hole's Stormtroopers from the SW newspaper strip) & a Grand Admiral, many OT elements (Stormtroopers, DV, AT-AT's, ERG's, etc.)...while still creating new elements for the film - i.e., the martial arts expert that takes out the Stormtroopers, the Forest Whitaker character, etc.
Forrest Whitaker's character isn't new, he is from the existing EU or canon, depending on how you look at The Clone Wars cartoon.

Reaction score
Forrest Whitaker's character isn't new, he is from the existing EU or canon, depending on how you look at The Clone Wars cartoon.
Good to know - I didn't follow The Clone Wars cartoon. And, this just proves my point even more - i.e., it's tough to keep track of what is "official" and what isn't - outside of the OT & the PT. I know that prior to TFA release, Disney/Lflm. labeled some of the novels/comics "Legends" (i.e., not canon) and other material was labeled "canon". I'm not going to spend time or energy worrying/thinking about what's "official" and what isn't. I suspect even Disney/Lflm. has problems keeping track with some of this material.

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched it but honestly didn't remember the character from the Clone Wars till they revealed it was him.

GNT

Reaction score
Good to know - I didn't follow The Clone Wars cartoon. And, this just proves my point even more - i.e., it's tough to keep track of what is "official" and what isn't - outside of the OT & the PT.
Not really, it was made clear at the time that the PT, CW, Rebels, OT as well as any comic books/books released after April 25th 2014 is all canon.