"Rogue One" - December 16, 2016

Reaction score
I mean I loved the scene. I loved seeing Vader's castle, finally seeing such an old concept realized. It's just that line that got me.

Reaction score
Hard to believe that it's been 3 years to the day that Rogue One was released to theaters. Excellent SW film & one of my favorite all-time films to boot. I rank this second (in my order of preference) amongst all the SW films, right behind ESB.
I have it ranked #3 all time SW movies for watchability, but #4 due to the original SW can't not be a top 3 movie in the series. I also have ESB #1, then Revenge of the Sith #2 in watchability but #3 behind the original '77 SW due to importance. Odd I know.

But yes, if I have to pick three SW movies to watch and just sit back and enjoy, it's ESB, ROTS, R1.

Reaction score
Well currently, as things stand, Star Wars for me is 'Rogue One' -> IV, V, VI. With 'The Mandalorian' acting as a kind of addendum or epilogue.

I need never bother with either the prequels or the sequels ever again and think that their elimination from my occasional marathon viewings makes for a better and more satisfying experience, to be honest.

Reaction score
Well currently, as things stand, Star Wars for me is 'Rogue One' -> IV, V, VI. With 'The Mandalorian' acting as a kind of addendum or epilogue.

I need never bother with either the prequels or the sequels ever again and think that their elimination from my occasional marathon viewings makes for a better and more satisfying experience, to be honest.
I can appreciate aspects, I've said in the past, of the PT and even ST. But I have to agree, for me, really the stuff I'm going to watch frequently or my DEFINITIVE head cannon is just RO, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, Mando.

Reaction score
^The Vader choke pun is too much a dad joke. It made me cringe in the cinema.
Which makes sense; Vader being a dad is basically the key to the whole saga.

Love the movie and love the scene. I am into him saying something pun-like in the moment. The problem I've always had is that "choke on your aspirations" is just a clunky phrase. "I find your lack of faith disturbing" just seems like something a person (even an evil zealot) would say.

But, like a lot of things in Star Wars, the further away we get from the first time I was exposed to it, it feels less like something weird that doesn't fit and more like something that was always there. Anyway, the exchange allowed for that wonderful little moment as the shadow of the closing door falls on Krennic's face, and he smiles...getting the tiniest amount of recognition was worth almost getting choked out by Vader.

Reaction score
Well see, my take is...those classic lines are Vader being coy, snide, and belittling...not puns. The "Don't choke on your aspirations" line is a pun and really comes off like an Arnold Schwarzenegger one liner in my book. Real groaner for me, almost as if Anakin winks directly at the audience under the helmet when he says it. It's entirely in keeping with Vader's personal for him to belittle. Him spouting of a dad joke just felt a bit much for me. The only thing I'd edit out of the film or re-write.
Agreed. That line was one of the few flaws in the whole movie.

Reaction score
Which makes sense; Vader being a dad is basically the key to the whole saga.

Love the movie and love the scene. I am into him saying something pun-like in the moment. The problem I've always had is that "choke on your aspirations" is just a clunky phrase. "I find your lack of faith disturbing" just seems like something a person (even an evil zealot) would say.

But, like a lot of things in Star Wars, the further away we get from the first time I was exposed to it, it feels less like something weird that doesn't fit and more like something that was always there. Anyway, the exchange allowed for that wonderful little moment as the shadow of the closing door falls on Krennic's face, and he smiles...getting the tiniest amount of recognition was worth almost getting choked out by Vader.
I can't put a finger on precisely why and what makes the difference, but to me, there is a huge difference between the two examples.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - combined with his display of power, that is just downright scary! Cold, hard delivery.

"Be careful not to ..choke on your aspirations" - The way the line is delivered almost seems like there is a pause before saying "choke", as in "nudge nudge know what I mean, ey ey, say no more". Maybe if it was spoken without that slight pause. Maybe if he didn't need to point out the fact he was choking Krennic and make a pun of it. Overexplanation for the audience.

Open mic night with Vader on the Executor:
"I'm gonna Needa new Captain ... he choked on his aspirations...... get it?? Is this mic on?"

This is my best effort to point it out. I just watched R1 recently with a friend and he disagrees with me. But he is also a stubborn old man (at least months older than me). But the line does come off as a fart-joke to me.