"Rogue One" - December 16, 2016

Reaction score
Rogue One comic adaptation (issue 1 just released) has an afterword by Gareth Edwards in which he claims there will be "cut scenes" in the comic, claiming the film could have been 5 hours long! So far there has been one I can detect in which we see Galen meet with Bodhi Rook on Eadu.

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there was anything even written as an alternate script for the main characters to have survived, director mentioned not knowing if Disney would allow them to all be killed off. be interesting to have seen or heard mention in the extras for the dvd/blu-ray

Reaction score
I'm still confused at all this "if Disney allows" stuff. has anyone watched any panels from celebration? or the bonus dvd video material? Lucasfilm STILL makes all the SW films. I see no trace of Disney in any film credits, remember the panic when fans thought they'd see a castle in the opening credits?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm still confused at all this "if Disney allows" stuff. has anyone watched any panels from celebration? or the bonus dvd video material? Lucasfilm STILL makes all the SW films. I see no trace of Disney in any film credits, remember the panic when fans thought they'd see a castle in the opening credits?
I was all for the Castle being in the opening credits.

I don't know how it all works behind the scenes but I'd imagine Disney have some say it all.

I'm wondering if there was anything even written as an alternate script for the main characters to have survived, director mentioned not knowing if Disney would allow them to all be killed off. be interesting to have seen or heard mention in the extras for the dvd/blu-ray
Disney has no problem with death in their movies, but prefer a happy ending. I don't know how say Disney has in it all, but from the outset, all involved agreed that this was going to be a different kind of Star Wars movie so Iger and others would have been aware o the progress of the story.

The Making of on the home release doesn't get that in-depth. The Art of book shows the team was original envisioned with a couple of aliens. Nothing in either source reveals whether they were all intended to die from the start of the project.

There is a rumour that one of the drafts of the screenplay had team member being killed by Vader himself.

Reaction score
anyone have any idea if Cassian is wearing a different outfit when he is on the Ring of Kefrene. Its hard to tell if the jacket is the same just minus the rank badge. it looks as though the jacket may be darker and the collar different. but its so dark its hard to tell. also he may be wearing darker pants. I've done image searches and still haven't found a half way descent pic. anyone have a reference pic from one of the ART OF books or encyclopedia for Rogue 1?

Reaction score
I'm watching the Blu ray right now and the thought that amazingly Rogue One has made Star Wars better. It's just such a tight and character driven film. And it added so much depth to the story of ANH. I think all those years I just figured someone got lucky, got their hands on the plans without even knowing they were coming to them and then handed them off to Leia. Very happy they made it much more than that!

And though if we had seen her survive in this​ film (via an awakening to the Force augmented by the kyber crystal around her neck) it would have felt like a cheat. However, I am seriously hoping that somehow Jyn survived, was stuck on Scarif until sometime after the events of ROTJ and that Luke met her and that they had Rey...Or if Cassian stayed in the picture perhaps she is their child? I would be good with that since it would have happened off-screen. And it would make Rey's lineage pretty awesome. Of course to make it poignant Jyn will have died saving her from the Knights of Ren.

And I'm pretty sure that this ISN'T what happened. Just found myself wishing it were so and could see it working because we saw the communications tower destroyed in the DS blast as well as, perhaps, the only real settlement on the planet for all we know. So with everyone assuming everyone was dead, she and Cassian could easily have been stranded for years on Scarif.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They both grabed a random plank of armor plates, waited for the giant wave to hit the beach and with some serious surfing skills, they ride along into the next safe zone :) :) ;)

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
What are the chances for anyone surviving on Scarif after being blasted by the Death Star? Surely the effects would've been felt all around the planet? Killed anything living?

Reaction score
The chances are slim but this is fiction and we've got "The Force" that can basically work miracles. I'm not saying it is in the cards at all, just that I could see it happening and would be fine with it if it did!

The strike on Scarif was massive but it was another targeted strike, not a planet killing blow. I could see how in a story they could survive somehow and the effects of the blast would have been big but limited. In real life, no, not really, probably something akin to what wiped out the dinosaurs!

When watching it again recently I was once again intrigued by the scene at the planetary gate when they are waiting to see if the codes work to clear them through and we get a sequence where Jyn basically takes out her Kyber crystal and says a silent prayer and "voila!" they get to pass. That for me was enough of a seed to plant the possibility that she could be Force sensitive. Or at least plant the option if they want to explore it (or leave it completely alone) at any point down the road. There are a few other moments like this in the film: about Jyn being told to trust in the Force, and her dad in his dying moments saying there is so much he wants to tell her and even when she is a kid running from Krennic's arrival she suddenly stops and turns as if (possibly) sensing something since there is no "sound cue" to cause her to turn. All of that could easily be explained away in other ways but it could also be used as fodder for something more to her story. I'm good either way. She's either just who we saw her as and died on Scarif or she was more than that and possibly survived. My feeling is its 96% in favour of being a(normal who died versus 4% being a Force sensitive who lived...and then could possibly have had Rey later in life after getting off of Scarif.

Reaction score
Okay, so, Krennic's aide Captain Pterro. He's the guy who is dressed in black aboard the Death Star who says "Commence primary ignition." He later goes with Krennic to Eadu and is seen on the landing pad. Then he escapes with Krennic aboard the shuttle ("Director, we have to evacuate!"). Here's where it gets a little fuzzy. 'Cause I'm pretty sure he's standing screen left in the Death Star control room when Tarkin and Romodi are talking.

How did he get from Eadu to the Death Star? Did Krennic stop off en route to Mustafar, or en route to Scarif or something? I imagine he'd proceed straight to either location without stopping. So how are we to explain what Pterro is doing there?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I want to know why Krennic looks older in his first scene than the rest of the movie

Reaction score
Well, the DS was on low power, right? So we don't really know how much radiation fall out is involved. But surely no on eat the base survived. However, the other side of the planet should be fine.

Reaction score
What are the chances for anyone surviving on Scarif after being blasted by the Death Star? Surely the effects would've been felt all around the planet? Killed anything living?
I can say that for Jedha, the planet's a goner since you can clearly see debris thrown well above the atmosphere which would likely cause it to spread all over the planet resulting in a global winter. In the case of Scarif, it looks like a ocean impact, and we didn't see debris thrown into the atmosphere like Jedha. At most, it would result in powerful tsunamis, kind of like the effect from the small comet fragment from the movie Deep Impact so anyone who isn't on high ground or a far inland for miles would be a goner.

Reaction score
TFA was a co-production between Bad Robot and Lucasfilm; Bad Robot has creative control of the trilogy (a condition of JJ's participation); and JJ "Collaborated" directly with Bob Iger, to make TFA*
(according to pablo higaldo, they were notoriously difficult to work with -- JJ/Iger made last-minute decisions without consulting the 'story group', aka:"lucasfilm").

so, while TFA was not 'made by disney' -- it certainly wasn't made by lucasfilm either. not entirely. :p (they were often left out of the loop).

-===-

* watch: JJ interview Bob Iger here: it's VERY telling..

JJ: " ...can you just talk about what Star Wars means to you, not just as THE PERSON WHO NOW OVERSEEING THESE with Kathy Kennedy, but as a fan...?"

http://feature.variety.com/bob-iger-showman-of-the-year/jj-abrams-and-bob-iger-in-conversation

- Iger refers to it as a "Disney Movie", (he says: it's not like 'other' Disney Movies), and then he goes on about how it 'takes a village' to make Disney movies.

- he even goes so far as to say.. that he has brazenly appointed HIMSELF to be the "STEWARD of the Star Wars Brand". :wtf:
-->(Star Wars is controlled by Disney. hands down. no question, FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH. LOL) :p

- Iger says, in his own words, the 'acquisition' of SW was far too valuable for Disney to NOT be involved in making the film -- meaning: he couldn't just allow Lucasfilm "do their own thing", without micro-managing the project.**
(Bob Iger was on-set making Story-Decisions with JJ, "..through all of its iterations -- and there were many iterations.."[JJ's words]).

--> Lucasfilm did NOT make TFA. LOL :p Disney had more control over TFA than Lucasfilm -- why? because Disney had control of Bad Robot. and Bad Robot had "creative control" of the entire project...

... JJ @ Bad Robot was reporting DIRECTLY to Bob Iger @ Disney; ((not to kathleen kennedy @ Lucasfilm))

- the realtionship between JJ and Iger was such, that JJ refers to it as a personal "collaboration" between himself and Iger -- [JJ's word; not mine] -- it's VERY clear from watching the interview, that (a) Iger had creative input in TFA, and (b) Iger is JJ's 'boss'.

therefore Iger had the final say

-====-

** it should be noted : Bad Robot had nothing to do with Rogue One. IMDb lists 5 production companies for Rogue One, and Bad Robot is not among them.
(Lucasfilm is listed FIRST of the five production companies, which is probably a good thing)...

...however , Bad Robot IS producing The Last Jedi. Bad Robot has creative control over 7,8,9. even without JJ directing.
(Bad Robot is listed FIRST out of four production companies involved in the making of Episode 8 -- the others are Disney, LFL, and Ram Bergman Productions).

bottom line: Lucasfilm doesn't make video games anymore either. they farm them out to EA Games. (like they farm their 'saga' movies out to Bad Robot). :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's too bad, i was hoping that LFL had the same deal as Marvel. Guess it really does mean we're stuck with a "certain'' type of Movies from now on.
And the stuff I've been hoping for, is just not going to happen.

Reaction score
ehh, still can't get on board LFL isn't the leader here, regardless. I don't work there so until someone can give extensive details on how all this works, LFL clearly develops these films IMO. Any producer/company will invest in SW, pretty safe bet, no?. I just can't see the success of Disney & it's
affiliates excelling on a "it's my way or else" mentality. Do you REALLY think Iger is this great storyteller? Kasdan just must be there for show then. Still haven't seen any Disney info in the films top to bottom when watching them, and I haven't felt like I'm NOT watching SW yet, so I'm still leaning towards LFL making their pictures, not newbies fixing **** that ain't broke.

Last edited:
Reaction score
... and I haven't felt like I'm NOT watching SW yet...
Yeah, and since this is NOT the case, I'm good with whatever and whomever is actually guiding the juggernaut. I love TFA and RO.

TFA made me realize that I was missing a sense of fun and excitement and cinematic storytelling in a SW film and that recycling old ideas, especially when it is a part of the theme of the film, works amazingly well for me.

RO showed me that bringing in a new angle, a new style can work too (at least so far, they obviously leaned heavily on the weight of the DS storyline from the OT) but it still felt fresh and alive and brought so much depth to that aspect of the mythos of the franchise.

I'm even ready for them to get one wrong down the road! They've proven they can do good SW regardless of what we know or don't know is going on "under the hood". If they have a miss amongst a dozen hits I won't jump on the "see I told you so!" bandwagon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right on. And, I get it's now owned by Diz, etc but the meddling logic is well, illogical. It's just makes no sense to believe there's this dictator in the board room saying this has to be done, and that has to be done.. like when they said " we'll see how how Han gets his name", what some people thought that meant was so hysterical. (it's like the mindless media today in politics, it's just beyond stoopid) The interview I saw w/ Edwards regarding his discussions w/ Kennedy and the direction of R1 was totally what I expected, and that's what I believe the method & approach to these these new films is.

Last edited: