Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS APPLY)

Reaction score
Please use this thread to openly discuss about Rogue One.

So looking forward to watching it. We go Sunday afternoon to iPic in Scottsdale.

Reaction score
Tarkin and Leia could NOT have looked better. I remember watching Tron:Legacy and the CG used to create a young Jeff Bridges/Flynn was such a distraction. I felt the opposite about the CG used in RO. To me the use of Tarkin and Leia really stole the show. I liked the blue milk in the opening and all the other COUNTLESS nods to ANH. I think you could watch it 10 times and find something new each time.

I also feel more depressed now about the PT. Those just seem like missed opportunities now more then ever. With the enjoyment I found in TFA and RO I feel like everyone knows how to make a great SW film except GL and McCullum.

Watching Vader in the last ten minutes gave me the notion of how powerful he is in a way I don't think we ever saw before. GREAt sequence.

ONLY hang up for me was the death of Jyn wasn't that emotional for me. I cared much more for Rey at the end of TFA then I did for Jyn. I had a more emotional response to Donnie Yen's characters death then Jyn. Not sure why.

Reaction score
Wow what an awesome movie my only gripe was they should have made it longer it went by too fast. Can't wait to see it again. Tarkin did look amazing I got goosebumps and the end with Vader was Star Wars Bliss. This movie is going to make a lot of money !!!

Reaction score
It's strange to me that about half of the scenes from the trailers didn't make the final cut of the film. No "I rebel", no face to face with the TIE fighter, no Jyn and Cassian running on the beach...

Reaction score
I agree with amdevil that they did a great job with the CGI Tarkin. However it was still noticably CGI and I found it a bit distracting. Had they used him for shorter scenes like Leia (very well done also, had no clue that was coming) I think it would have been better. Also loved it when Gold and Red leaders showed up. A lot of little surprises that really made it great. Get the feeling I'll have to see it many times to catch everything (oh darn).

Of course we knew Vader would be in it, but to see him go off like that was incredible.
Also didn't expect everyone to die, kind of thought that a couple would make it. Really weird seeing all main characters of a Star Wars movie die.

Reaction score
It's strange to me that about half of the scenes from the trailers didn't make the final cut of the film. No "I rebel", no face to face with the TIE fighter, no Jyn and Cassian running on the beach...
Yeah, I noticed that. Also a Saw Gerrera speech that didn't make it in. Makes me want to see what it looked like before they did all the re-shoots.

Reaction score
Did anyone else hear "General Sendulla please report to...(couldn't hear the rest) " on Yavin 4?

Pros-
Tarkin!
"You better watch yourself!"
Vader in his comic/books ****** killer mode
Rebels homage
Leia
Cassian
K2SO - 3POs jock a-hole older brother.
The Saving Private Ryan tone. Awesome movie

Cons-
Leia (yes, both categories) something about her eyes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wasn't sure what to think after I saw the film. The pacing was excellent. I agree with Slave_1 about feeling like it went too fast. As the movie ended, I was surprised that 2 hours and 6 minutes flew by so quickly.

I think the story about stealing the Death Star Plans was a tremendous way to start off the expansion of the Star Wars film franchise. Can't wait for the Han Solo movie.

Loved seeing Tarkin; surprised though at the length of his screen time. The CG was real good but still noticeable, but not too distracting. I don't know if seeing it in 3D makes a difference to the CG effects.

I liked all the characters in the film and thought they all had excellent moments.

Vader on the attack was spectacular.

I didn't really like the rebel ship pushing the Star Destroyer into the other Star Destroyer and I could have done without Walrus Man and Evazan even though it was kind of fun to see them again.

I was also surprised at how many scenes from the trailers and tv spots were left out. That doesn't bother me at all; I hate it when trailers reveal too many details before you even see the movie.

Overall--The movie was excellent; for me a lot better than TFA. I wish some of the good guys would have lived at the end, but I think their deaths fit with the huge sacrifices the Rebel Alliance made challenging the Empire.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also feel more depressed now about the PT. Those just seem like missed opportunities now more then ever. With the enjoyment I found in TFA and RO I feel like everyone knows how to make a great SW film except GL and McCullum.
Somebody some day needs to remake the prequels. Movies are remade all the time. Why not the prequels?

Reaction score
Somebody some day needs to remake the prequels. Movies are remade all the time. Why not the prequels?
If they do that they'll be tempted to just redo the OT. The Han movie is the beginning of a dangerous path for Disney.

Reaction score
RO was AWESOME! Like everyone else was surprised the CGI Tarkin got so much screen time. I thought the first scene he was in it was way too CGI, but the rest of the film it seemed more realistic. And even though it is a stand-alone movie, it takes some guts to kill off your protagonist. Definitely going to see it again. And Darth Vader was a BAD*****!!! I saw online that there would be one scene with him that was more impressive that any he was in in the other movies and I agree. He just picked the rebels apart. And the start where he is in darkness and the saber ignites, very cool. Nice that he was in two major scenes, as much as I would have wanted more of him, like I do in SW Rebels, they don't want to risk changing anything in Canon.

Reaction score
If they do that they'll be tempted to just redo the OT. The Han movie is the beginning of a dangerous path for Disney.
I agree. I would like the prequels remade but not if that meant remaking the OT.

Reaction score
After seeing this movie I hope the OT is the focus of a couple more stand-alone films. Would also love a Vader movie after III that tells a story we don't know of--hunting a Jedi or something.

They could also possibly introduce new characters, Rebel bases during parallel times to the OT with stories that don't involve the OT heroes to keep a similar dynamic. Think of all the great WWII movies that take place at completely different times and have different sets of heroes, missions, etc. After Hoth we don't see the rebels again until ROTJ for example.

But really there's just so much to explore outside that, hope they continue to try new things--different time periods, bounty hunters, etc. That's why I hate that they're doing the Solo movie--it's like they've already run low on good ideas.

I was actually pretty bummed that none of the cool looking rebel aliens had any prominent roles in Rogue One. Two Tubes was an awesome design, but I also liked the white Wookie looking guy, and those two short dudes that were part of the Rebels. Thought we'd see more of them.

Seeing Imperials and the space battles was just too sweet. Hope they don't feel the need to introduce new ships every time though. I really liked the U Wing, but not sure the Viper TIE did anything for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chandler, AZ (It's kind of like Tatooine)
I'm seriously wondering why so many trailer clips were cut form the movie.

No Jyn and TIE Fighter.
No "This is a Rebellion, isn't it".
No "I will not kill you. "Thanks".

Where was all of this? Why was it cut?

Personally, I thought the Tarkin scenes were great. I saw it in 2D and will only see it in 2D and maybe that's why it seemed very real to me. Leia seemed a little off. Not sure what it was. I would've been fine had they handed her the plans and only shown her from the back with no dialogue. I love that Threepio and Artoo made the movie. I didn't need Evazan and Ponda Baba, but it didn't hurt anything either. I can't say there was any one part that just made me nauseated from hearing it. I wished this to be true about the Prequels. Hearing things like "This is such a drag", just sucked in AOTC.

We go to see it the Tuesday after Christmas and I may go ahead and buy more tickets now anyway. I ended up buying $100 in iPic gift cards for Christmas and got a free $25 gift card, which I have already used. We may just use the rest of the gift cards to see the movie more times since we didn't really buy them with anyone specific in mind.

Reaction score
I assumed they were just cleaned up clips from ANH. When I heard "Red Leader standing by" a tear almost rolled out of my eye.
I read somewhere it was unused archive footage plus possibly reusing some.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Watched it yesterday and I liked it a lot!

- I was OK with the original OT characters not getting a lot of screen/story time. I thought I had a good amount of Vader but would've loved to see a short scene with the Emperor (maybe sitting in a dark room talking to Vader, where we couldn't see much of him). Loved the Leia scene at the end as I felt that it was a good connection with ANH. I was fine with Evazan and Walrusman in Jedha, but wat are the odds of running into that pair in a remote planet in a huge galaxy?. Caught the blue milk scene and I immediately pointed it out to my son, I got a bit excited there :). Also got excited when I saw Yavin. Liked the fact that our favorite Jedi was at least mentioned in an important rebellion conversation. In all, I was expecting not to see much from OT/PT characters so I wasn't dissapointed. Would've loved to see more rebel aliens both in the briefings and in battle.

- I was also OK with the use of CGI. The first time that I saw Tarking I immediately thought "The Polar Express" movie and bothered me for a little bit, then I was totally fine. I thought that they did a better job on Tarkin that on Leia though.

- Liked Jyn's story and how her parents were Imperials (and at a good high level in the ranks). The fact that her dad was the designer and that he desgned a flaw/weakness where it could be destroyed later was great, showed the internal rebel in Mr. Erso.

- Cassian fit the description of a rebel pretty well, him blasting down the informant at the beginning made me see him as a tough rebel. His commitment to the cause and willing to die for it was great. It made sense when you heard that he was doing this since he was 6 years old.

- Love how each of the Rogue rebels going into Scarif had an specific impact and role in the retrieval of the plans, without any of them the mission would've failed. Nice to see a real beach in a Star Wars movie, my wife and daughter loved Scarif! They told me that they would love to see it in the new Disneyland SW land coming soon, I agreed. Bummer that they also cut the scene where Krennic is walking in the water with the stormies, I thought it looked great with the cape floating at the edge. Not sure (Just like you all mentioned) why there were so many scenes/dialogues that didn't make it.

- The last Vader scene kicking b**tt was one of my favorite ones of course. Great to see Antilles for a brief moment there.

- I was expecting pretty much all of them retrieving the DS plans to die as I knew that there is not a continuation to this movie. But I agree that it was weird to see this in a SW movie.

Overall great movie, I will go back to see it probably on Thursday to catch some more details.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I was thinking about it and one key person that was missing was Admiral Motti. It seemed to me like he was personally involved with the Death Star development and was very proud of its capabilities. I think it may have made more sense for Tarkin to take the control over the project from Krennic and give it to Motti.

Reaction score
I've seen RO twice now. I absolutely loved the Vader/Leia ending. I was stoked seeing Red and Gold Leaders. I loved Tarkin, and after watching ANH again last night I'm still stunned that an actor can be so realistically recreated. The comparisons to CG characters in Tron and other previous attempts at similar recreations are ridiculous.

My only real gripes are the Evazan/Walrusman cameo (glad they made if off Jedha OK!), and the Hammerhead ship sequence. I guess you could explain it away that the Hammerhead ship was reinforced for ramming and maybe the crew knew the structural point and speed of which a Star Destroyer could be hit so that neither ship would crumple, but for the Hammerhead to then push a Destroyer completely through and tear apart another one bothered me for some reason. Seemed like if that was the case the Hammerhead would just crash through the first Star Destroyer itself.

I think Bodhi ended up being my favorite character, maybe because I knew the least about him going in. I thought the subtle Rebels references (the Ghost, "General Syndulla") were neat nods to Rebels to tie it all together. Not much to say about the new trooper designs other than they looked cool. They didn't really add much to the movie.

Best part for me was my wife and kids immediately wanting to watch ANH after we saw RO. I hope RO really helps my kids' generation circle back to the OT. I don't think TFA had that effect.

Reaction score
I'll watch ANH again this week as well.

Ares_X: Forgot to mentioned that I totally agree with you regarding the iPic Premium Plus setas, we loved them! I didn't have the Angus burger trio since we had eaten before but we did have dessert, that Vanilla Ice Cream sandwich with hot chocolate is delicious! We decided that we will watch every SW movie from now on on that theater.

Reaction score
I'll watch ANH again this week as well.

Ares_X: Forgot to mentioned that I totally agree with you regarding the iPic Premium Plus setas, we loved them! I didn't have the Angus burger trio since we had eaten before but we did have dessert, that Vanilla Ice Cream sandwich with hot chocolate is delicious! We decided that we will watch every SW movie from now on on that theater.
So glad you enjoyed it. It has pretty much become my only theater, but I do want to check out Alamo (over by your house) once it opens. I hear it's different though.

I didn't get the Angus Burger Trio either when I went on Saturday, but will be getting it the Tuesday after Christmas. I avoid ice cream when I'm out as I'm slightly lactose intolerant and never know when I could be affected. I would not want an irritable stomach when sitting in a movie. Ice cream is something I do at home to be safe.

UPDATE: Apparently Alamo is open. We're going to have to check it out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My only real gripes are the Evazan/Walrusman cameo (glad they made if off Jedha OK!), and the Hammerhead ship sequence. I guess you could explain it away that the Hammerhead ship was reinforced for ramming and maybe the crew knew the structural point and speed of which a Star Destroyer could be hit so that neither ship would crumple, but for the Hammerhead to then push a Destroyer completely through and tear apart another one bothered me for some reason. Seemed like if that was the case the Hammerhead would just crash through the first Star Destroyer itself.
Actually I think this is the only time Star Wars has used actual physics as it applies in space. In space things are basically weightless & since the 1st Star Destroyer didn't have power, it basically the same as pushing an asteroid into the enemy. & the hammerhead ship does look to be built for ramming.

Reaction score
Actually I think this is the only time Star Wars has used actual physics as it applies in space. In space things are basically weightless & since the 1st Star Destroyer didn't have power, it basically the same as pushing an asteroid into the enemy. & the hammerhead ship does look to be built for ramming.
That's how my family took it. I didn't mind it. I do want to see it again now that I'm not trying to take it all in at once.

Reaction score
I thought of the hammerhead ship as space version of a tugboat/pushboat.

Reaction score
Adam Pawlus (Galactic Hunter) really dumps on Rogue One (scroll to the bottom). While I agree it probably wasn't a needed movie to show what happened with the Death Star plans, I enjoyed it and plan to enjoy it for years to come. But then this is a guy who seriously loves the 70s/80s Star Wars cartoons, so we definitely don't share the same views on things.