Rocket Firing Boba Fett Transparencies

Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to pick up these nostalgic pieces of Star Wars history. I usually don't limelight, but I feel the need to share these pieces with my fellow collectors. A HUGE thanks goes to Tom Derby for giving me this opportunity, and actually designing the LED backlit cases that they are displayed in. These are all original transparencies. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here it goes in historical order:

These images are all what is believed to be the second version of the kitbashed Rocket Fett, the first one had a plastic cape. The last image was featured on the "Collect all 32" store display header.

This is the final version of the kitbashed Rocket Fett. This image is VERY similar to the image found on the 20 back cardback.

These last images are more than likely the protomold Rocket Fett. Both images where used on the 20 Back Store Display. The first of the two images are featured in reverse(or a different photo?) on the "Get A Free Boba Fett" Bell Hanger and the long header card.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you have enjoyed these icionic photos.
Happy Holidays Scummers!!!

Tony

Last edited:
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the other thread, I love these transparencies. The frames are awesome too.

Reaction score
Wow - Unreal pieces Tony. Can you share the history of these with us, how and where they turned up? Those frames really do them justice, the look great. Congratulations on some great additions!

Reaction score
Tony GREAT stuff buddy. I'd love to hear about the history of these also. Now, you just need to find one of the kit-bashed Boba Fetts to display next to the transparencies. WELL DONE buddy : ) -Steve

Reaction score
Love it, Tony. Your collection is really becoming out of this world. Great stuff dude,

Turk

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys! @Gary and Steve, the transparencies where part of a large collection of Kenner photo files that Tom purchased years ago from Kim Simmons. The word on the street is that the kit bashed Fett pieces where...gasp... thrown away :weeabooface: But who knows :confused: It is cool that the protomold DOES actually exist, and is safely locked away in the capable hands of one of the nicest guys in the hobby.B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Congrats on obtaining them. This has to be the best Christmas present ever! Even if you did give it to yourself :)

Just amazing / important pieces.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys! @Gary and Steve, the transparencies where part of a large collection of Kenner photo files that Tom purchased years ago from Kim Simmons. The word on the street is that the kit bashed Fett pieces where...gasp... thrown away :weeabooface: But who knows :confused: It is cool that the protomold DOES actually exist, and is safely locked away in the capable hands of one of the nicest guys in the hobby.B)
So should I guess the protomold is your? :)

if so I think you should share pics! :)

Reaction score
So should I guess the protomold is your? :)

if so I think you should share pics! :)
I said it belongs to one of the nicest guys in the hobby Oli, LOL :grin: Seriously though its in a blackhole collection :ninja: I am happy its there, it really belongs there B)

Reaction score
Yeah the "one of the nicest guys in the hobby" certainly tipped me off that it couldnt be tony! :) Jk

HWR

Reaction score
Those transparencies are trully awesome. Congrats on picking thrm up Tony, and thanks for sharing pictures and story.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these Tony. Your collection is KICK ****! Kudos.

Anthony

Reaction score
Very stunning Tony, obtaining these have to be a dream come true to you. I've always wondered if Kim Simmons was he photographer for these early photos, I do know he has these on his site... maybe that's his finger in the pics, lol.

Reaction score
A little late to the party, but definitely the Photosample Roy Frankenfield used in photography. These are the images I posted on Facebook when I was able to verify the match myself with the figure in hand; or will be once can get the photos to attach.

Total, there are more than forty points that match over several different images, excluding points where airbrushing clearly enhanced or hid faults inherent on the figure.

Another authenticating point could easily be the “neck gap” occurring between the helmet and collar, which is absent from the first shots. Since this lone specimen remains the only known example, there is just no way to verify that at this time. This neck gap is clearly modified by airbrushing in the yellow photo art side view.

Under magnification, wax or glue residue typically found on photosamples is present in the predicted spots: in the right hand to secure the gun (wax or glue) and in the launcher (wax) to secure the missile. Since the latch doesn’t hold, this explains how Roy dealt with the issue.

Incidental to these discoveries, the red wrist gauntlet has a distinctive orange undercoat that bleeds at points along the edge. This certainly explains the orange ghosting that shows in some images. It also suggests this Protomold was initially painted to reflect Jim Swearengin’s preliminary Kit Bashed Fett; matching the final color scheme from its fourth and last reworking.

Last edited: