RIP Phil Eason - Yaddle in The Phantom Menace

Reaction score
I want to make sure you all know about the passing of my good friend puppeteer Phil Eason, who sadly passed away last week - and I want to pay tribute to him.

I first worked with Phil over 35 years ago when we acted in a theatre play together. He was an excellent actor, but his big loves were puppets and puppetry. We did various puppetry jobs together, including the movie LiITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. He spent the next 35 years building a wonderful career, designing, making and operating puppets of all kinds and working on many high profile productions, including THE PHANTOM MENACE in which he operated Yaddle.

Phil was one of the warmest, nicest people I ever met. Every tribute you will read about him will say the same thing, and everyone who met him will say the same thing. We were friends for a long time.

You can read more about Phil on the following sites:

Nerf-Herders Anonymous: Eason, Phil - Nerf-Herders-Anonymous

Professional Puppeteer | Puppet Designer & Builder | Philip Eason

Rest in Peace, Phil. Your friendship and talent will be sadly missed by many.

Gerald

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reading this made me think how its kind of funny that with knowing performers from a distance you have kind of a detached appreciation of them, you know them through their work and don't really think about the relationships they have with others. Its heartwarming to know their lives touched others in more personal ways.

So sorry for the loss of your friend.

Reaction score
Rest in peace Mr. Eason

Sorry for your loss! Phil was nice enough to send me an autograph years ago. Really nice of him to do that!

Reaction score
:( I am very sorry. I have been doing research on Yaddle recently, it's sad to hear she's gone. If frank OZ ever goes that will be the end of Yoda, others can do the voice, but cant capture that soul.

RIP <3

Reaction score
Thanks for all your lovely messages. Good to see you here, Wes. Haven't heard from you for ages.

You're right in what you say, Mike: whoever you are, whatever area you work in, whatever job you do, it's great to stay friends with the really good people you meet, and Phil sure was one of those.

I thought some readers might not know the Yaddle character Phil operated, so here's a pic:

Phil Eason signed card.jpg

Thanks again for your messages.

Gerald

Reaction score
Thanks very much, Ricky. Give my love to fantastic Barcelona. Hearing from you reminds me that my last event was in your country in February last year, on the beautiful island of Mallorca/Majorca. The fans there overwhelmed me with their kindness and hospitality.

I wish more of you could have met Phil. I know he did at least one con in the US, in Texas, and was hoping to do more. I guess there's a lesson to be learned by you autograph collectors: if any actor, puppeteer, or mime artist ever comes to a con near you, and you think you want their autograph, don't think twice - go see them and get their autograph, because they might not come to your part of the world again.

Gerald

Last edited: