RIP Alan "Laddie" Ladd Jr. - movie executive involved in the production of the original SW (1977) & many other films

Reaction score
RIP Alan "Laddie" Ladd Jr. He passed today @ age 84. He was a veteran movie producer & film executive, and was responsible for getting many great films made - primarily from the 1970's - 1990's. These included the original Star Wars (1977), Alien (1979), Young Frankenstein, Thelma and Louise (1991), etc.

I remember reading that ALJ was one of the few people in the movie industry who really had faith that the original SW film would be successful. He believed in George Lucas, and was a big supporter of the film when many others "behind the scenes" had written it off. I.e., if if hadn't been for him - I believe ANH would never have been made.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ala ... 20003.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes we all praise George for creating Star Wars and having such vision, but it often goes unsaid how instrumental Ladd was in it actually getting made. It's too bad more people like him do not exist in Hollywood today.

Reaction score
I'll confess I only vaguely knew his name. There are many unsung heroes of this franchise, especially in the completion of the first film, like Alan Ladd, Gary Kurtz, and Paul Hirsch to name but a few.