Richies Armour X-Wing Helmet Review

Reaction score
I wanted to write a comprehensive review on two Helmet Kits professionally assembled and made by Richies Armour so pilots in our base could have a place to source a superb lid over inferior afforadble Rubies helmets.

Boy was I so wrong.

First and foremost I believe that it is important to continue with the review to show you guys what you would expect in way of quality.
As we ordered two helmets, I can't think of a more accurate way to come to an overall decision rather than just review one helmet.

Review:

Both assembled helmets arrived in a large box and filled with protective foam. I was rather impressed with the packing methof Richie chose as the helmets were even cling filmed to reduce possibility of kit coming away in transit.

At first glance and to touch the helmets come accross as the real deal. Sturdy construction at first glance and a lot more rigid than a Rubies.

Mic

OMG!

Multi core bit of cable even with the cores sticking out of the back!!!
The mic hangs and does not sit in position as the cable does not have the tensile strength to suppor [censored]'s own weight.

A rigid larger diameter cable could have been used and not a flex!

Even as I removed it from it's secure fixing (velcro wrapped around the cable) the mic tip came away and looks like it was held together with hot gule (now I'm thinking to myself I hope the helmet is not held together with hot glue and he has used impact glue)!

Visor

Can't really complain about the visor itself as it is made well and looks the part!

BUt, theres a but! The visor is not the only thing you can see when wearing the helmet as the lids were not assembled symmetrically:

At one side you can see the bracket which the visor bracket fits on:

On the other side there is nothing:

Chin strap

When trying on the helmet, this was the first thing I picked up on.
The chin strap has no adjustment and felt like it was going to take my head off lol!

Construction

From afar the kits look nice assembled and really do look the part of a proper pilot helmet.

Unfortunately from an arial view one of the lids Mowhawks resembles a banana more than a uniform stripe! The kit looks twisted and assembled extremely poorly.
This helmet did not have the Richies signature in it which surprised me and I wondered wether the money I paid extra for Richie to assemble went to a non- professional labourer?

Little things like the front cap not being straight can make a difference!

And not even secured flat to the helmet and even with hot glue:

Nothing really seemed to marry up correctly and I don't know if it is just me but from what everyone says about Richie I was expecting a work of art!

Instead I got a mottled poor quality kit:

Which resembled both an orange:

And a Banana:

Conclusion

I work in engineering, and have done since I was 16 serving a modern apprentiship in Mechanical and Electrical engineering and know a few things about tolerances and precision.

I felt these helmets lacked any precision or accuracy and were rushed together for a quick buck.

Maybe it is just me and I'm being too picky but from all the raving reviews I have heard of Richie and to buy two kits and both assembled poorly and with no love! I am shocked and so let down.

I won't hear anyone put down a Rubies, even if you have to mod them as I am going to have to mod these more than any Rubies lid to make them troop worthy.

Fair enough if this was just kit form I would have made a big song and danced about them as the kits are quite nice. But we paid extra, and that money come out our pockets hard, to get a professionally assembled helmet from the man himself.

If you disagree with this review or think I have been slightly biassed or posted non factual info, PM me and I will address that. But I promise you nothing has been doctored and this is an honest analysis on the item we received.

Please ignore my Grammer as I don't write much but thought it wise to show you guys what you could be getting yourselfs into if you pay extra for an assembled kit.

Paul.

...and yes, I ate the crumbed ham while writing the review and it was nice!

Reaction score
I got myself a Richie’s Luke Helmet! Assembled and painted! I got it and it was perfect in every way!!!! Incredible! That was some years back! With that a few years after I contacted Richie’s and ordered a Wedge painted and assembled helmet. After months and months of waiting with barely any responses to e-mails...it arrived! Once again paint job...awesome! I believe the painter was Steve on both helmets! Fantastic talent! The paint was great!!! I ordered the helmet with ear cups and mic...that did not come. E-mails asking about the cups and mic were never responded to. The helmet construction was terrible...everything was off. I sold it later on and got my money back. I would have preferred to get a helmet like the Luke...no such luck.

And now to see these helmets, I just had to speak out! Richie, you should be ashamed of yourself! I would be embarrassed by that crap quality! I can only say that Richie will never get my hard earned cash again...boooooo!

Reaction score
I never got the ear cups either but I did receive the crappy mic!

Richie is getting such a bad name for himself now that people are looking to source the kits from others such as dreadnaught industries etc!

It's a shame as the helmets could have been ace if he had just spent a little time on them!

Thanks for the comments and I am glad I am not the only one with the same view!

Reaction score
sorry to gang up but his communication lacks as well. I have sent several emails with no replies..

I wanted a conversion for my real APH..but the lack of communication is sad..

Reaction score
Brad it is not ganging up mate, it's just giving insight into what you could be letting yourself in for.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Reaction score
... this is a post from 2008, nothing has changed since 2008. I order two pre-made kits (begin 2016), and because i was lazy i got punished ... i had to re-do everything. Lucky for me the helmet was put together with hot glue gun, the parts went to easy loose. Everything is crooked and lopsided cut, and abs is from a poor quality. The left shell was 1 cm smaller contour. Also i think he try to stretch the abs, because at different spots the abs was thinner.

The visor, i don't know but they are horrible ... the slidding don't work properly because they aren't straight, i got two helmets, and got two different shapes of visors, and cut differently ... conclusion, pre-made kit waste of money.

Even the innerhelmet / dome ... hmmm, it's made of very soft/flexible pvc ... hard to get a shape in, and because it was cut like a picasso ...
I talked about with RL, and they admit (finally) quality from Richie's has go down.

I like warning people who wants to order a kit or pre-made kit, there is a better one.
I re-build them, it wasn't easy to make something of it.