Rian Johnson's trillogy is still being made

Reaction score
The Blame for the quality of the Sequel Trilogy is shared by many. Disney wanted to play it safe, JJ wanted it to be LOST but set in space. so they settled on a mystery box reboot. Rian pretty much ignored everything and must have thought he was writing a 1980's Battlestar Galactica TV movie. Kennedy wanted to make an all new socially safe Disney ruled universe with hints of Star Wars but like a child, hers needed to be proven more powerful and betterer. They wanted to run it into the ground just like the Muppets.

They should just give it back to Lucas
Unfortunately, Lucas wrecked his own creation long before Disney did.

Handing it back to George wouldn't have made things any better I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Lucas wrecked his own creation long before Disney did.

Handing it back to George wouldn't have made things any better I'm afraid.
George should write but NEVER EEEEEEVER Direct! If the prequels were directed by someone with less on their plate, and a dedicated director, the Prequels could have been better. They read well in novel form. Nobody was bold enough to tell him, uhh George, this Jar Jar guy is too slapstick, and we need to take this "Yipee" line out. While we are at it, let's not call him Annie...

Reaction score
George should write but NEVER EEEEEEVER Direct! If the prequels were directed by someone with less on their plate, and a dedicated director, the Prequels could have been better. They read well in novel form. Nobody was bold enough to tell him, uhh George, this Jar Jar guy is too slapstick, and we need to take this "Yipee" line out. While we are at it, let's not call him Annie...
It is a pity there was no telling Abrams were he was going wrong.

Reaction score
It is a pity there was no telling Abrams were he was going wrong.
Funny thing is when we walked out of the first show, everyone was raving. They asked what I thought and I said I don't care for it much I just saw a reboot of a specialized edition. Not enough new. People thought I was nuts.

Reaction score
George Lucas had and then he lost it. There was a period there in the 70's, and perhaps the early 80's where the stuff he was doing were nuggets of gold that could be forged into classic material.

But, to be perfectly honest, he needed good craftsmen around him to sift through his awful ideas to find the quality ones and without those craftsmen, we get dreck like the prequel trilogy, which proved unequivocally that without restraint Lucas is just terrible, because he hasn't the ability to filter those bad ideas from the good. That coupled with budgetary constraints that forced him into compromises which had the effect of making the result better than it would have been if he had had it all his own way.

The original 'Star Wars' would have been dead in the water if Lucas had had all the money he needed to do every idea he had in his head. Han Solo was going to be a green lizard, for example. That would have been a disaster of epic proportions. 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' had Germans with lasers in their eyes and mechanic legs.

Thank christ none of that could be done, because the money wasn't there and other minds were on hand to just say "no".

Reaction score
Neither Abrams or Johnson should have been allowed near a Star Wars film.
I think Johnson could have done better if he had better set up and characters to work with but I agree about Abrams. Keep him away from all franchises.

Reaction score
Neither Abrams or Johnson should have been allowed near a Star Wars film.
Johnson can make a great film, just not a Star Wars film. It's like having Stephen King write Annie... It would never work despite him being a known writer with tallent. But nobody interested in Annie wants to see Daddy Warbucks as a homicidal maniac, Punjab as a zombie, and Annie as a telepath.....wait now I kinda do...lol

Reaction score
Johnson can make a great film, just not a Star Wars film. It's like having Stephen King write Annie... It would never work despite him being a known writer with tallent. But nobody interested in Annie wants to see Daddy Warbucks as a homicidal maniac, Punjab as a zombie, and Annie as a telepath.....wait now I kinda do...lol
I say Johnson could have done a great Star Wars. He was just shackled with a bad characters and a pointless story to build on.

Does King do more than horror? I've only read his horror and that was decades ago but there is Green Mile

Reaction score
I say Johnson could have done a great Star Wars. He was just shackled with a bad characters and a pointless story to build on.

Does King do more than horror? I've only read his horror and that was decades ago but there is Green Mile
Absolutely. He loves Baseball and wrote a few books on it. And he also wrote The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By me is 99.9% his short story "The Body"... Maybe i picked the wrong example...lol

Reaction score
Absolutely. He loves Baseball and wrote a few books on it. And he also wrote The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By me is 99.9% his short story "The Body"... Maybe i picked the wrong example...lol
I had intended to name Shawshank there.

Reaction score
Johnson can make a great film, just not a Star Wars film.
Johnson has made one great film with 'Knives Out', which is a superb little flick. 'Looper' wasn't bad. But I haven't liked anything else he's done.

JJ Abrams is one of the absolute worst things to have happened to Hollywood in 20 years and unlike Johnson I have never been impressed with a single thing he's done, besides 'Cloverfield'. He's completely empty. A copycat that mimics better movies and directors, whose penchant for "mystery boxes" is lamentable at this point, too, because everybody knows he can't follow through. Setting up a mystery is easy. Making a logical conclusion to one is the difficult part.

To me he's responsible for turning two beloved Sci-Fi franchises into generic space flick mulch and if he disappeared tomorrow, the movie world would be all the better for it.

Reaction score
Johnson has made one great film with 'Knives Out', which is a superb little flick. 'Looper' wasn't bad. But I haven't liked anything else he's done.

JJ Abrams is one of the absolute worst things to have happened to Hollywood in 20 years and unlike Johnson I have never been impressed with a single thing he's done, besides 'Cloverfield'. He's completely empty. A copycat that mimics better movies and directors, whose penchant for "mystery boxes" is lamentable at this point, too, because everybody knows he can't follow through. Setting up a mystery is easy. Making a logical conclusion to one is the difficult part.

To me he's responsible for turning two beloved Sci-Fi franchises into generic space flick mulch and if he disappeared tomorrow, the movie world would be all the better for it.
In that case you are less impressed than you realise.

He wanted an American Godzilla - this was about the total of his input onto movie.

Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree here! I'll be the first to say he's not the greatest at directing, or getting performances out of people. Heck if it weren't for all the talent he hired, who knows what we'd have got. Flash Gordon perhaps? Don't get me wrong, love that movie but omg campy and cringefest.

However, when it comes to ideas/visions story elements he has a pretty good instinct there. I think as an observer/consultant he might be very useful. He simply lacked having ideas from other people in the PT because he was surrounded by too many yes men. Which reminds me of ideas like the Helicopter Sabers, without someone to say no to BS it goes through. So even Filoni has had bouts of it.

As said though, true creative content is derived from a team of inspired people. Far too often it's one person takes the credit for good things that it takes 1000's to create.

TBH, I had a feeling as soon as JJ got the job it wasn't going to be anything I wanted to see play out. This was based on all that he had done prior.
And my next great fear is that he'll actually get the job of Directing Man of Steel 2, i wonder what movie he'll remake for that story...

Rian, well I've said before that he might have been a good fit for a spin-off with nothing to do with the OT cast. Something odd like SOTE, or Legacy. Or even something set in OT era but about Syndicates etc.

Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree here! I'll be the first to say he's not the greatest at directing, or getting performances out of people. Heck if it weren't for all the talent he hired, who knows what we'd have got. Flash Gordon perhaps? Don't get me wrong, love that movie but omg campy and cringefest.

However, when it comes to ideas/visions story elements he has a pretty good instinct there. I think as an observer/consultant he might be very useful. He simply lacked having ideas from other people in the PT because he was surrounded by too many yes men. Which reminds me of ideas like the Helicopter Sabers, without someone to say no to BS it goes through. So even Filoni has had bouts of it.

As said though, true creative content is derived from a team of inspired people. Far too often it's one person takes the credit for good things that it takes 1000's to create.

TBH, I had a feeling as soon as JJ got the job it wasn't going to be anything I wanted to see play out. This was based on all that he had done prior.
And my next great fear is that he'll actually get the job of Directing Man of Steel 2, i wonder what movie he'll remake for that story...

Rian, well I've said before that he might have been a good fit for a spin-off with nothing to do with the OT cast. Something odd like SOTE, or Legacy. Or even something set in OT era but about Syndicates etc.
Man, those helicopter lightsabers have really got under you skin. :)

I've seen a review of his idea for a Superman movie. It would make you just want the world to stop spinning.:oops: