Rian Johnson's trillogy is still being made

Reaction score
Whether Marvel had a complete plan for all 10 or so films can be set aside. The important point is that they were able to integrate the later films into a whole general outline. Star Wars really hasn't done that in the fact that TLJ ignored a lot of the things set-up in TFA.

Reaction score
I'm not oversimplifying anything. There's a very clear set of events happening here, according to a plan that Disney have put in place for the MCU. It's origin, origin, team up. This is not hard to understand. Nor, is it unfair, nor is it even really a criticism. It's simply recognition of the formula that has worked a particular set of movies.

But it won't work with Star Wars.
I'm not going to argue that the MCU plan would work with Star Wars, but you are oversimplifying. It's OK, and I understand you aren't being overly critical.

Black Widow and Hawkeye had their stories woven into multiple movies. Bucky had an arc that was quite complex, as did Hulk. Thor was kinda all over the place, but the theme of his story was growth (I think... figuratively and literally). You can certainly say that the big names headlined the movies and then they brought them together for team up movies, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Justice League did a team up too....................

I don't think we are in disagreement, I just don't see the MCU as formulaic. What they've done has never been done and no one seems to be able to copy it so far. If it's formulaic, it's like the KFC recipe of movie franchises.

Reaction score
We'll looks like IF this trilogy is still happening it won't be until at least 2031 lol

Reaction score
Whether Marvel had a complete plan for all 10 or so films can be set aside. The important point is that they were able to integrate the later films into a whole general outline. Star Wars really hasn't done that in the fact that TLJ ignored a lot of the things set-up in TFA.

The Last Jedi didn't ignore a single thing set up in The Force Awakens nor contradict anything set up in The Force Awakens.

Reaction score
The Last Jedi didn't ignore a single thing set up in The Force Awakens nor contradict anything set up in The Force Awakens.
I tend to agree with you on almost everything around here...but not on this. I'm not sure that RJ even saw TFA.

Reaction score
Placement of Kylo's scar? :awesome:

Grilles on stormtrooper helmets? :grin:

The entirety of the established mythos and characterisation? :wtf:

Reaction score
So, today's news is that the next SW movies after Episode 9 is definitely the GoT guys' trilogy. Is Rian Johnson's trilogy still being made?

Reaction score
So, today's news is that the next SW movies after Episode 9 is definitely the GoT guys' trilogy. Is Rian Johnson's trilogy still being made?
rumor has it Rian is directing they are writing. They combined the two trilogies. Remember the GoT guys have only ever directed 4 episodes of GoT between them. They are producers not directors.

Reaction score
Knights of Ren???
how were the Knights of Ren contradicted? I guess you could say ignore as in they decided not to use them. That's like saying why didn't they go to the spice mines of kessel after they mentioned it in A New Hope.

Placement of Kylo's scar? :awesome:

Grilles on stormtrooper helmets? :grin:

The entirety of the established mythos and characterisation? :wtf:
if that's all you can come up with i think DarkmanX has got this in the bag.

Reaction score
rumor has it Rian is directing they are writing. They combined the two trilogies. Remember the GoT guys have only ever directed 4 episodes of GoT between them. They are producers not directors.
I will admit they are better show runners/producers than they are writers. Frankly GoT has been a shell of it's former self since they stopped adapting the books.

If the here story is that these guys are writing and RJ is directing I will easily pass on this Trilogy.

Reaction score
If Johnson is directing the GoT guys' movies, why didn't Iger say that when he confirmed the GoT guys' movies are next? What would be the point of keeping only that part a secret?

Reaction score
If Johnson is directing the GoT guys' movies, why didn't Iger say that when he confirmed the GoT guys' movies are next? What would be the point of keeping only that part a secret?
That hasn't been said by Disney or anyone else except Vicaracist_Fan because he is a Johnson lover and can't admit that people were right about Ruin's trilogy never being made.

Reaction score
because that's how earnings calls work.

You never give more information then is asked. Why didn't they say who was directing it? They specifically said they are writing it and that is all they will say.

Again that's what the rumor is saying that Rain is directing it and as we know Rain has been working close with the GoT guys

edit: and bone you've been warned about the name calling

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will admit they are better show runners/producers than they are writers. Frankly GoT has been a shell of it's former self since they stopped adapting the books.
How?

I keep seeing this idea put forward online, but have yet to see anyone put forth a convincing argument as to why they believe it to be true.

AFAIC, 'Game of Thrones' has been consistently good since it started, bar a few criticisms here and there and some dodgy decisions across all the series. It's easily one of the greatest TV shows that has ever been put on the screen and remains a clear benchmark of quality.

On my behalf, I'm more than happy that if we are going to have to go down the KOTOR route (which I don't really care for), then have the guys who were behind 'Game of Thrones' at the helm suits me just fine and dandy. Presuming, of course, that that's the period that they'll be covering, which I think is more than likely the case.

Although that good will would be seriously dented if they do have Johnson directing I will say.

Reaction score
Traditional news outlets are not reporting or speculating that Johnson will be shoehorned into the GoT guys' trilogy:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/game-of-thrones-star-wars-weiss-benioff-trilogy-controversy

The multi-year break between 2019’s Rise of Skywalker and a new trilogy kicking off in 2022 had previously been announced—but Star Wars fans were uncertain about whether the new films would be helmed by Last Jedi director Rian Johnson or Weiss and Benioff. Neither trilogy will, reportedly, involve the Skywalker bloodline. And while Johnson is still working on his own trilogy, the confirmation that Weiss and Benioff’s story will officially kick off this new post-Skywalker era of Star Warsmeans we now have a better sense of what kind of new saga to anticipate.
And even the ones that offer full blown speculation end up coming to grips with reality:

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/05/15/star-wars-new-trilogies-rian-johnson-david-benioff-db-weiss/

One complication with this theory of all three collaborating on one project is that when Benioff and Weiss were announced as developing films, it was specified that their films wouldn't be connected to Johnson's films. It's unclear if both sets of filmmakers had already given brief pitches to Lucasfilm that scored them the gigs or if they were given the keys to the kingdom, so if there were differing opinions, we might not see a collaboration.
Long story short, the world is these guys' oyster after GoT, and I doubt they would have signed an agreement with Lucasfilm to create, write and produce a series and then agree to give up that creative control they signed on for to accommodate anyone else... especially someone as divisive as Johnson. Remember, before GoT, Weiss was unknown Benioff was the guy who brought us X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This new SW series is their opportunity to make a mark on the world of film and show that GoT wasn't a fluke.

Let's suppose this baseless and desperately hopeful theory is correct, though: Is Johnson's trilogy still really being made if he's maybe going to direct another creators' series?

Reaction score
I hope he is not involved in the next trilogy. I guess we'll know soon enough if he twitters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Because Iger said the next movie they are producing will be the GoT guys. No mention of director etc.

RJ directing a movie written by these guys? No than you lol

Reaction score
how were the Knights of Ren contradicted? I guess you could say ignore as in they decided not to use them. That's like saying why didn't they go to the spice mines of kessel after they mentioned it in A New Hope.

if that's all you can come up with i think DarkmanX has got this in the bag.
The KoR were shown in TFA and it was assumed we'd learn more about them in the next film. Ignoring them or just forgetting them seemed to be a plot point that didn't really make sense.

Other things: I don't know, Finn being half-dead, yet he jumps out of his coma thing and has no ill-effects from his lightsaber injuries. The FO Fleet showing up with Snoke, Phasma, and Hux just minutes after Starkiller Base was destroyed, that seems a bit contradictory.

I think darthsatan hit on a major point as well.

Reaction score
guys.

in 2017 when they first announced this nonsense, Rian was only planning to direct the first one and then produce the other two.

Hell yeah. I think that would be fantastic. Again, I don't know how it's going to go. I'm going to write and direct the first one and tell the story for the rest of them. But yeah, there are so many talented female directors that I would love to see do one of these movies. Look, I hope it happens in a "Star Wars" movie even before that! Going forward, that's something I would absolutely love to see.
https://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-interview-about-the-last-jedi-fan-backlash-2017-12

given that these movies are basically written (and rewritten) by corporate committees, this wouldn't actually BE "Rian's Trilogy".

he would just be a 'showrunner' , who gives us the broad strokes of the trilogy arc, and lets his female Directors, do the actual "Directing".

as we've seen , the "director" on a SW feature can pretty much **** with anything and everything (from Kylo's scar to the TK-helmets) -- they can do whatever they want.

including (but not limited to) ignoring the entire "trilogy arc" altogether. :p LOL

bottom line: at no point was Rian ever expected to direct an entire Trilogy. Rian himself was only planning to direct the first one.

the myth of "Rian's Trilogy" has become a three headed monster fueled by word-of-mouth exaggerations and sheer PANIC on the part of the fans. like a monster living under a child's bed. it never REALLY existed in the first place.

Reaction score
guys.

in 2017 when they first announced this nonsense, Rian was only planning to direct the first one and then produce the other two.

https://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-interview-about-the-last-jedi-fan-backlash-2017-12

given that these movies are basically written (and rewritten) by corporate committees, this wouldn't actually BE "Rian's Trilogy".

he would just be a 'showrunner' , who gives us the broad strokes of the trilogy arc, and lets his female Directors, do the actual "Directing".

as we've seen , the "director" on a SW feature can pretty much **** with anything and everything (from Kylo's scar to the TK-helmets) -- they can do whatever they want.

including (but not limited to) ignoring the entire "trilogy arc" altogether. :p LOL

bottom line: at no point was Rian ever expected to direct an entire Trilogy. Rian himself was only planning to direct the first one.

the myth of "Rian's Trilogy" has become a three headed monster fueled by word-of-mouth exaggerations and sheer PANIC on the part of the fans. like a monster living under a child's bed. it never REALLY existed in the first place.

that's like saying GL didn't create the OT since he only wrote and direct the first one then produced Ep 5 and 6.

now what is interesting is the wording of what Igar said
"“We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B Weiss, who are famous forGame of Thrones, and the next movie that we release will be theirs,” Iger said. “And we’re not saying anything more about that.”"
He only states the First movie not all 3. This could mean any number of things.

Like are all 3 movies going to be part of their trilogy? Are they going to go the Marvel route and make 1 movie setting up the world then the next 2 movies are spin off movies about characters in that world?

Is the first movie going to be theirs and the next one Rian Johnsons?

Are all 3 movies goign to be with Rian Johnson. remember KK did say that Rian was helping them with their movie.

Reaction score
that's like saying GL didn't create the OT since he only wrote and direct the first one then produced Ep 5 and 6.

now what is interesting is the wording of what Igar said

He only states the First movie not all 3. This could mean any number of things.

Like are all 3 movies going to be part of their trilogy? Are they going to go the Marvel route and make 1 movie setting up the world then the next 2 movies are spin off movies about characters in that world?

Is the first movie going to be theirs and the next one Rian Johnsons?

Are all 3 movies goign to be with Rian Johnson. remember KK did say that Rian was helping them with their movie.
she didn't say that at all.

she only said they were talking to each other, about creating a long-term PLAN for the future of SW

she did not say "Rian is Helping Them With Their Movie". :whistling: LOL

(that's what I mean by word-of-mouth exaggerations and three-headed-monsters -- she didn't say any of that).

here's what was actually said.

note: she's talking generally about creating a PLAN for the future of SW ("they're working very closely with Rian" on this matter)

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/13/lucasfilm-star-wars-movies-hiatus/

“We’re going to take a hiatus for a couple of years,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy tells EW. “And we’re taking the time to really look at where this is going from the standpoint of a saga.”

She said the creative brain trust will take that time to map out a wider narrative strategy. “We’re not just looking at what the next three movies might be, or talking about this in terms of a trilogy. We’re looking at: What is the next decade of storytelling?”

Not all projects are being canceled. A new series of movies fromThe Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson are still part of the plan, as are new films from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. In fact, she revealed they are working in tandem. “As they finish Game of Thrones, they’re going to segue into Star Wars,” Kennedy said. “They’re working very closely with Rian.”

google : "tandem". cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The KoR were shown in TFA and it was assumed we'd learn more about them in the next film. Ignoring them or just forgetting them seemed to be a plot point that didn't really make sense.

Other things: I don't know, Finn being half-dead, yet he jumps out of his coma thing and has no ill-effects from his lightsaber injuries. The FO Fleet showing up with Snoke, Phasma, and Hux just minutes after Starkiller Base was destroyed, that seems a bit contradictory.

I think darthsatan hit on a major point as well.
Knights of Ren - just because they weren't used in The Last Jedi doesn't mean they will be ignored in the overall story. They were in The Force Awakens for all of 2 seconds and I don't think they were even mentioned by name.

Snoke and The First Order fleet - The Resistance was forced to evacuate at the end The Force Awakens. So it's reasonable for the First Order fleet to be on top of them to finish off the Resistance. It was a 3 prong attack. Destroy the Republic government planets, take control of Republic systems, and finish off the Resistance in one fell swoop.

Finn- Luke was up and around pretty quickly after being mauled by a Wampa and spending hours exposed to the harsh elements of Hoth. Han was frozen in carbonite for years and was leading a crucial mission a day later.

Reaction score
Luke was in the Wampa cave so he was protected from much of the harshness of Hoth and he did end up in a bacta tank and the med bay overnight. Finn was in his tank for all of an hour at most. We don't know how many days were between Han's rescue and Endor. He could have had more time than Finn to recover.

Hux and Phasma escaped Starkiller Base, but the assumption is that Snoke was not there. In less than an hour I guess Snoke picked them up and they headed for the Resistance Base. I guess that's possible.

Reaction score
Knights of Ren - just because they weren't used in The Last Jedi doesn't mean they will be ignored in the overall story. They were in The Force Awakens for all of 2 seconds and I don't think they were even mentioned by name.

Snoke and The First Order fleet - The Resistance was forced to evacuate at the end The Force Awakens. So it's reasonable for the First Order fleet to be on top of them to finish off the Resistance. It was a 3 prong attack. Destroy the Republic government planets, take control of Republic systems, and finish off the Resistance in one fell swoop.

Finn- Luke was up and around pretty quickly after being mauled by a Wampa and spending hours exposed to the harsh elements of Hoth. Han was frozen in carbonite for years and was leading a crucial mission a day later.
Snoke mentions the Knights of Ren by name in TFA.

Luke was one of the strongest Force users ever - Finn stumbled around for 2 movies.

Reaction score
I don't think the Force was too strong with Luke at that point. The Tauntaun knew the Wampa was attacking before Luke did.

Reaction score
When does he do that? Now I'll have to watch TFA again. ;)
Just take his word for it and skip the extra showing of TFA. Use the time to do something else like taking a walk in the park, smelling the roses, spending time with friends..........
J

Reaction score
Snoke mentions the Knights of Ren by name in TFA.

Luke was one of the strongest Force users ever - Finn stumbled around for 2 movies.
Good points.

Finn could have been such a cool character, but for some reason, the writers and directors just haven't used him properly, imo.
G

Reaction score
I don't think the Force was too strong with Luke at that point. The Tauntaun knew the Wampa was attacking before Luke did.
This brings up the age old problem with otherworldly powers, time travel, plot armor, etc. They end up being rather arbitrary. Not to take this thread on another tangent, but it's a problem I have with so many movies. (note that it's not stopping me from enjoying them, it just comes up a lot)

Superman flies around the Earth and turns back time... does he then have an UNDO button for every situation that comes up?

Captain Marvel can punch through a gigantic space vessel, but gets tossed down by Thanos.

Dr. Strange can undecay an apple and reverse a building exploding, but can't undo anything Thanos does.

Jedi can sense things going wrong in the next room, but can't sense the greatest evil in the universe in the same room.

In Game of Thrones, characters wear armor that will only help you if you are not supposed to get killed in the script.

Ok, on with the Rian Johnson love/hate fest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hux and Phasma escaped Starkiller Base, but the assumption is that Snoke was not there. In less than an hour I guess Snoke picked them up and they headed for the Resistance Base. I guess that's possible.
at the end of TFA Snoke tells Hux he is to bring Kylo to Snoke's location so Snoke can complete Kylo's training. I guess that didn't happen.
instead Kylo has time to get his face healed up while pursuing the rebel fleet in his bad-*** T/I mod. eventually Snoke shows up, and HE joins Kylo and Hux(?)
because they're just too busy doing villain-stuff to follow orders(?) does this mean Kylo doesn't get training after all? (or did the new writer simply ignore the story at hand?)

if I'm the supreme leader of the universe then I'm pissed that Hux didn't follow orders and bring me a sandwich.
why am I getting off my couch to join a low-speed, high-speed-chase, at 2 miles-per-hour? I just told these buffoons 2 hours ago, I got "Training" to do with Kylo.
and plans for lunch afterwards. (now where's my freaking sandwich?) :p etc.

seems odd that Snoke gave EXPLICIT orders (for Kylo's arc in the next film),
and then 2 hours later we see a totally different sequence of events.. did Snoke change his mind? (or did Rian ignore the story?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
at the end of TFA Snoke tells Hux he is to bring Kylo to Snoke's location so Snoke can complete Kylo's training. I guess that didn't happen.
instead Kylo has time to get his face healed up while pursuing the rebel fleet in his bad-*** T/I mod. eventually Snoke shows up, and HE joins Kylo and Hux(?)
because they're just too busy doing villain-stuff to follow orders(?) does this mean Kylo doesn't get training after all? (or did the new writer simply ignore the story at hand?)

if I'm the supreme leader of the universe then I'm pissed that Hux didn't follow orders and bring me a sandwich.
why am I getting off my couch to join a low-speed, high-speed-chase, at 2 miles-per-hour? I just told these buffoons 2 hours ago, I got "Training" to do with Kylo.
and plans for lunch afterwards. (now where's my freaking sandwich?) :p etc.

and then 2 hours later we see a totally different sequence of events.. did Snoke change his mind? (or did Rian ignore the story?)
I think you're right.
I

Reaction score
When does he do that? Now I'll have to watch TFA again. ;)

SNOKE
Even you, master of the Knights of
Ren, have never faced such a test.

that's it. that is all that is mentioned of the Knights of Ren. Clearly anyone can see that must have meant we were going to see them in the next movie. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well seeing as they lost their base and superweapon but they knew where the resistance was makes sense that they would change their plan to go after the rest of the resistance.

kind of like how Vader is given orders to bring Luke to him. So instead of setting up a trap at Jabas where he knows Luke will go to save his friend he just ignores it....

Reaction score
Well seeing as they lost their base and superweapon but they knew where the resistance was makes sense that they would change their plan to go after the rest of the resistance.

kind of like how Vader is given orders to bring Luke to him. So instead of setting up a trap at Jabas where he knows Luke will go to save his friend he just ignores it....
If it was about the characters changing their plan instead of Johnson ignoring the plot line that was set up in TFA, there would have to be a line in the movie about them changing plans due to new intel or whatever.

Jedi takes place several months after Empire. Even if Vader's first assumption is that Luke would try to go rescue Han at Jabba's (even though neither movie indicates this is Vader's thought process), how long should he have camped out over there?