Retro Collection Death Star Board Game

Reaction score
Since the Retro Collection hasn't been given a designated spot this is probably as good as it gets for now to discuss this. Not talking about the Tarkin figure, but rather opening up the conversation on the game itself. I've not yet played the new one. I've opened it to get to Tarkin, but honestly haven't even unfolded the board game or looked at the other pieces. Is it identical in every way to the original? Board layout, game pieces, instructions, etc.? Also who has played the game and what are your overall thoughts? Does it feel like an old game or if you've never played the original does it feel new?

Reaction score
I played mine with my kids. It's been over 30 years since I played the original so I can be wrong, but it feels the same. I didn't have the original but my friends did and I played it a few times as a kid.

Reaction score
I tried playing it last night with my 3 year old who loves star wars. After about 10 mins she says, "I'm over it". hahahaha. I think I'm going to have to set it up and play on my own with a few beers. It does seem like a fun game.

Reaction score
I had it as a kid. It’s alright, but not the best. I always preferred the ROTJ Scarlacc battle game.

Reaction score
I had it as a kid. It’s alright, but not the best. I always preferred the ROTJ Scarlacc battle game.
That Sarlacc game was a blast. It was a proper game and fun to just act out the battle as if miniatures/toys.

I remember playing the Star Wars game on a few occasions (friend's house and owned a beat up garage sale one) but remember next-to-nothing about it!

Reaction score
Just bought the game to get the figure, it's not like he's going any cheaper online even as a single loose figure. It's funny how Hasbro repurposed this junky cardboard game to simply rake in the profits of the Tarkin figure. Everything on this set is cheap cheap cheap. It's all paper and cardboard. The game itself probably cost Hasbro pennies to make and then they slap one of the most wanted figures from the Vintage line and sit back and collect. It's almost a waste of cardboard and paper. I like the box art better than the game itself lol

Reaction score
I had the game back in the day and actually played it quite a bit. I don't have my original any more, but the new one seems to pretty much be exactly the same as the original...which was also "all paper and cardboard". I haven't actually assembled and played it yet, but it seem very faithful to the original with the exception of the gaping hole left in the lid of the box when you remove Tarkin.

Reaction score
Just bought the game to get the figure, it's not like he's going any cheaper online even as a single loose figure. It's funny how Hasbro repurposed this junky cardboard game to simply rake in the profits of the Tarkin figure. Everything on this set is cheap cheap cheap. It's all paper and cardboard. The game itself probably cost Hasbro pennies to make and then they slap one of the most wanted figures from the Vintage line and sit back and collect. It's almost a waste of cardboard and paper. I like the box art better than the game itself lol
Every target I have been to looked to have a bunch of these just sitting. My guess is they will be clearance items soon. I bought 2 when they came out. 1 as a saver, the other as an opener. To our surprise, we all found a carded version of Tarkin rather than a loose one like we were expecting . I kept mine on the card but I would like a loose one to display. Once they go clearance, I will get my loose Tarkin.

Reaction score
Every target I have been to looked to have a bunch of these just sitting. My guess is they will be clearance items soon. I bought 2 when they came out. 1 as a saver, the other as an opener. To our surprise, we all found a carded version of Tarkin rather than a loose one like we were expecting . I kept mine on the card but I would like a loose one to display. Once they go clearance, I will get my loose Tarkin.
Why did you expect a loose Tarkin? They are all carded in this set.

Reaction score

When they first premiered the cardback art for Tarkin, I thought he would be offered both on his own single cardback and just "loose" in the board game. Or at least some other form of packaging in the board game. I know it takes away from the nostalgic board game art work, but I wish you could see his card back without having to open the game. Hasbro thought this one through I think. If you wanted all forms of Tarkin you had to buy 3 board games. One to open and display loose, one to keep on a displayable cardback, and one to keep sealed in the board game. Smart move by them as many people are buying multiples. I bought one and opened it for the loose figure. If they go on on a deep enough sale I will likely get another just to open an have an MOC Tarkin just in case Hasbro decides to continue the Retro line for years to come like they are with the Vintage Collection

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should have just gone the ebay route, and bought a loose Tarkin when Tunghori had them listed. But of course I let Hasbro suck me in, and I bought two games. One to open and have a loose figure, one just to keep the figure carded. I can honestly tell you I have ZERO interest in buying a third to keep the whole thing sealed.

Reaction score
I broke down and bought the game and opened it to display the Tarkin. At least it's not a REPLICANT!!!! I still feel a bit dirty supporting vintageplotation!!!!

Reaction score
I broke down and bought the game and opened it to display the Tarkin. At least it's not a REPLICANT!!!! I still feel a bit dirty supporting vintageplotation!!!!

It's like I always say, it's only worth to you what it's worth to you. The way I see it is yes there's a big market for vintage and as long as that remains there will be someone there to exploit it in some way or form. And hopefully their motive is good. My motives for buying Tarkin were similar to the way your's turned out. I wanted Tarkin. I saw Tarkin. I bought Tarkin. Was he worth $20 to get acquire? For me, yes. He's the first true unique vintage style figure that has rolled out of the Hasbro assembly line since they absorbed Kenner. So what I'm saying is don't feel bad for buying a figure that you wanted. If nobody buys them then what are the chances that Hasbro will make more? I give them the support because they did a good job with most everything in the retro line. It's okay to buy into the vintageplotation if it doesn't cross the line. The line is different for each person though.

Reaction score
The way I look at it, and I bought 4, are this is now out of the way.I have a loose Tarkin, a carded Tarkin, a carded tarkin with sticker removed, and a sealed set. The game flat out stinks. I hated it as a kid, and still hate it. The card art is kind of cool though. Now if they do another figure packed in a game, all of the games that followed were at least somewhat fun. I would much rather have had "Destroy the Death Star" which had hours of play value.

Reaction score
I originally bought the board game because of the Tarkin figure that was included. My original goal was to have this figure and the rest of the 'Target exclusives' be displayed in acrylic cases. Because growing up with them between 1981-1986 has me see them as variants more than modern reissues! Plus a Japanese collector sold me on how good they look they look displayed that way. But immediately after seeing them in person I reduced my plans to having Tarkin on display (MOC, mind you) in my current bedroom. And pray that I could establish a Empire Strikes Back "character focus" collection. At least for the action figure stuff.

But when it comes to this line in general, it will never be anything more than a reissue variant line that is filling in any gaps Kenner could not fill in. Something that should help the hobby while harming the repro market. Because, after all, the only two groups that harm this hobby are the dishonest sellers and those who think their opinions should be the law of the land. :whistling: