Repro question for 2021 Collectors

Reaction score
This has been beat to death but I feel like I have to respond here:

why does the reproduction have to be SOOOO idental that it floats and sounds the same while being dropped? That's where the line is drawn for many people for reproductions, why does there have to be a never ending arms race to get them to be indistinguishable from the original if the intent is not to deceive? If the blaster sounded different when dropped or sank in the water why would that bother you if it was only for your display enjoyment? do you regularly have all your blasters on display floating in a bowl of water?
The more closer to the original the better. Probably an o.c.d. thing, though for me to accept a repro I would want it to look and feel like an original as much as possible. So if the properties of the plastic are much closer and behave the same way then it's a true replica and ultimately looks the same plastic as the other figures original weapons. I own some of the older replica weapons, and whilst they are nice and sharp, they visibly stand out and feel like they are made from that Airfix model kit plastic. Also there's that sinking weapon stigma that would make me feel bad owning a repro. Knowing that it floats like an original is a satisfaction that would make me care less about owning an original.

Even though I aim to have at least one unique original weapon I have set a limit on how much I spend, so I could just settle for a repro if it was good enough. My concern with paying $100 and upwards for say a black palace blaster is if that value will stay the same or go down in future, because if you pay that sort of money then you have to treat it as an investment. I lost an original Leia blaster a couple of nights ago sorting through my figures. It was literally next to her on the floor and half hour later it completely disappeared!? I combed the carpet and nada! If I had paid $100 for it I would have felt very bad, though it's one I've had since I was a kid so accepted the loss better :D

Reaction score
Things are worth what you pay for them, I guess. It seems like I’m always the “greater fool.” 😜

Reaction score
If weapons had a marking to show it's a repro, they would be more accepted, but unfortunately it's pandora's box now.

(I applaud Stan Solo for putting SS on his figs)

Reaction score
The repros are fun to play with. They aren’t liquified fecal matter.
They don't break your heart to lose, I'll give you that. There are some plastic deer pellets in the "painted" repros. Those just suck. Scratch the paint off and they don't even look decent to play with (e.g. R2 pop-up saber I had that was black plastic under green paint).

Reaction score
Unfortuntelty all these replies regarding repro hurts the hobby are made by collectors who dont want to see there investment hurt, its not about the enjoyment or nostalgia, to me i get the same nostagic feeling holding a stan solo figure as i do with a vintage one, obvioulsy if i had unlimited funds i would buy original but i dont so regardless of peoples feeling about this repros are filling a well needed gap in the market as lets everyone complete there collections without the huge money needed.

obviously i dont condone anyone getting ripped off but this is down to a few unsavoury people and doesnt reflect the repro market as a whole, most people who collect repro genuinely want to fill spaces in there collection with replacements that look as close to the original as possible, they dont want a pink stormtrooper blaster just to keep investment hobbiests happy.

Reaction score
I mentioned that I would aim to have at least 1 original weapon in the collection. Though given the price of a Leia blaster and black palace blaster as well as imperial guard pike etc. all seem just ridiculously high now. Looking at the repros you get today they are really close with all the markings etc. All made in china like the originals using the same injection moulded techniques. As long as they're not crappy painted resin then I can happily settle for those and spend the money on something more worth while. Buying a Leia blaster today isn't a good investment anymore as I mentioned earlier you're pretty much paying premium. I am still aiming to have as many original weapons in the collection as I can afford.

I'm still gutted for losing my original leia blaster the other day! Absolute mystery it vanishing before my eyes like that!? Typical it had to be that one and not the old repro ones I had :(

Reaction score
The repro prices just show much money Hasbro is leaving on the table by not jumping into the Retro Series with both feet.

Reaction score
If I am missing a vintage weapon or accessory, I use a modern piece to hold that place until I find a real piece. Why use a repro? Makes no sense, you are only fooling yourself or the person who buys your collection from your clueless wife/child after you pass on.

Reaction score
Also it's 2021, why do people still have shag carpet :D Such an unhealthy, archaic item, reminds me of when people used to smoke in doctors offices and grocery stores lol. #Stopcollectingbacteria lol

Reaction score
Also it's 2021, why do people still have shag carpet :D Such an unhealthy, archaic item, reminds me of when people used to smoke in doctors offices and grocery stores lol. #Stopcollectingbacteria lol
LOL. Oh man. Remember "Do you want a smoking or non-smoking table" at restaurants? The tables were literally right next to each other! And oh yeah, 70's shag carpet in the bathroom was a thing (Thank the Maker not in my house, but ewwww).

Reaction score
LOL. Oh man. Remember "Do you want a smoking or non-smoking table" at restaurants? The tables were literally right next to each other! And oh yeah, 70's shag carpet in the bathroom was a thing (Thank the Maker not in my house, but ewwww).
Oh yes lol, and smoking on airplanes, the airlines supplied the cigarettes too.

The insane adverts who told millions smoking was healthy

Reaction score

The same reason people have 40(+)-year old blankets and pillows. My dad still curls up on the dog-stained carpet floor with a 40-year old pillow to watch TV. I swear some of those pillows are 50% dust mite poop.

There are numerous houses that have basements with the old shag carpet. "Its just a basement — why bother?" seems to be a prevailing attitude. For most of the younger crowd a finished, fancy basement is all the rage.

And, on topic: no, I do not care about the value of my collection when it comes to my repro disdain. I definitely feel no nostalgia holding something that was made within the past several years.

Last edited: