Repro question for 2021 Collectors

Reaction score
Some of the custom offerings are insanely awesome as well, Just bought a vac metal black death star droid.

Reaction score
I think the classic car and dinosaur bones analogy has no merit here. I was initially on board with this thought. However, reproductions parts for a classic car or dinosaur skeleton make them functional.

A lot of dinosaur exhibits have the reproduction bones in a different color so that viewer can distinguish what is real and has age to it.
The majority of dinosaur exhibits are 100% reproduction. I worked in museums forever, I basically view myself as curating my own little Star Wars Micro Collection museum exhibits in my house.

If a an individual wants to fool themselves into believing that their toy collection is complete with reproductions, then so be it. But is it truly necessary? Is it a form of entitlement?
I view it as reenacting the 1980's. Reenactment muskets and swords and armor are COOL AS HECK even though they aren't original. I have no concept that that repro are real or complete. They're just plain FUN. If you handed a ziploc bag of repro weapons to a kid, they'd say "Awesome!" and start arming up their action figures. I am the same way, though, it irks me that repro accessories are in Kenner-accurate colors. The lightsabers should be transparent blue or red, the guns should be a dark metallic silver color, etc.

There a lot of things I'd like to have, but there are a lot of things I simply just cannot afford. At one point I wanted everything Star Wars. I've tempered my desires and wants to within my means and am so much happier for it — and no longer yearn for what is not within my grasp.
Me too. I only collect the Micro Collection, and since it's a small line I have totally unqualified love for it. Real, custom, reproduction, preproduction, bootleg, I don't care. If it's Micro Collection (and especially Hoth Ion Cannon), I'm in! Since reproduction 4-ups are readily identifiable as repro I love them too. They're typically the wrong color, noticeably too lightweight, and of obviously lower detail and casting quality (ie, a double mold line) from originals.

This is what's comical about the hobby, that people are willing to shell out $400 for a plastic toothpick. But hey, if it makes you happy - do it, and enjoy!
Despite my general aversions, if prices keep going up I'm gonna sell my childhood accessories and replace them with repro. It's ****ing stressful to think I could loose $400 by dropping a toy weapon in a shag carpet. I probably have two dozen or so original blasters, lightsabers, etc. and it's getting to where I could conceivably cash them all out to buy another real 4-up! I think I'd rather have the 4-up.

And this gets to the crux of the matter: if prices get too high, more of the objects WILL come to market, genuine, repro, or otherwise. This is a feature of economics that cannot be avoided.

Reaction score
As a collector, I was never one to be a completionist or a "burn all the repros" type. From what I've seen here and other forums, I do not believe I will find any original weapons or accessories and will not pay original prices for any of them. They are too easy to reproduce and there are probably 50 repros for every original that was made by now....

Reaction score
After rereading the first page of comments, I think I will summarize my feelings on this as "Do what you want for your collection, but don't try to sell repro parts as genuine originals."

Reaction score
After rereading the first page of comments, I think I will summarize my feelings on this as "Do what you want for your collection, but don't try to sell repro parts as genuine originals."
Completely agree. I wish they would just put an R where the fig grips the weapon. That way it does not detract from the displayibility, but is clearly marked.

Reaction score
I know where a ton of them are... The landfill. If you dig through all the discarded vacuum cleaner bags.
And thus I inadvertently became an expert on vacuum cleaner bags, and could tell at a glance of a given bag was likely to date to the late 70’s/early 80’s, or if it should be ignored for the sake of minimizing my time digging in the landfill.

Reaction score
Graders have been fooled too. There are graded examples out there with fake acessories.
I guess I'm just a snob but I hear of these places I think "what makes them an authority?" Did these people get PhD's in American Art History and do their dissertation on postwar plastic action figures? Was that dissertation about advertising for action figures or was it about manufacturing them or what? Did they they follow that up with 15 years of fieldwork evaluating action figures for Christie's Auction House? Probably not. Knowing how much work it takes to obtain something akin to actual expertise on any subject I find it unlikely they can manage to keep track of Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, Dungeons & Dragons, Starting Lineup, Super Powers, bootlegs, etc. Couple normal rates of human error with a profit incentive (time is money) and the idea that things would slip past the graders (repros, or even just the "wrong" accessory) becomes inevitable.

There's some value in having it sealed with a serial number, but, not much to me.

Reaction score
Some people collect for aesthetics (so the repros wouldn’t matter to them). Some people collect for playability (so the repros wouldn’t matter to them). Some people collect to make money through investment (so repros in fact would matter to them). Some people collect as curators of history (so repros in fact would matter to them). I’m sure there are lots of other reasons.

Reaction score
Some people collect for aesthetics (so the repros wouldn’t matter to them). Some people collect for playability (so the repros wouldn’t matter to them). Some people collect to make money through investment (so repros in fact would matter to them). Some people collect as curators of history (so repros in fact would matter to them). I’m sure there are lots of other reasons.
I can say all of my Kenner figs which I keep displayed as collection figures in the detolf are 100% legitimate. I wanted it that way. But my Stansolo and customs use repros. Most of the figures in my displays are Retro collection. So I am in a couple of your camps. It would be nice to have all originals, but buying say a Vader for each display would get out of hand really fast financially. 1 for his Tie fighter, 1 for the Death Star, 1 for the Star Destroyer, 1 for the attack base, and 1 for the fig case...that's a lot of dough that can be better served elsewhere.

Reaction score
I put myself in the curator camp, and repros have their place in curating actual museum collections. So... yeah I like them.

If you're collecting as an investment (as long as they can be identified) repros RAISE values, not lower them. They're advertising for the real thing, essentially. It bugs me to no end that the invesotr-collectors hate repros. Anyone can reproduce a Honus Wagner (or any other rare baseball card) nowdays with ordinary home office software and printer. Hasn't hurt the value in the least. Mark my words, 3D printing will soon enable even a relatively unskilled person to reproduce all the plastic toys.

People who collect for a sense of superiority ("No one has one but me!") seem to be the ones to lose out biggest with repros.

Reaction score
That’s all true! People who want to curate for “historical accuracy” might want to dispense with repros, but the museum point is a valid one. And yes, exclusivity is another collector motivation.

Reaction score
That’s all true! People who want to curate for “historical accuracy” might want to dispense with repros, but the museum point is a valid one. And yes, exclusivity is another collector motivation.
There’s a difference between what museums own and what is part of their collection. Repro items aren’t always given accession numbers. They’re not technically part of the collection, they’re just stuff that belongs to the education department, the marketing department, or what have you.

Museums don’t usually go out of the way to collect and properly catalog repros unless they are very big ticket items that are part of an exhibit. They collect real things, and use repro things.

I am neither proud of nor ashamed of my repros. I COLLECT originals and USE repros. If other people want to collect repros that just leaves more originals for me.

Reaction score
“Collect” versus “use.” Nice one!
Thanks. Yeah like I wouldn't see a point in displaying a bunch of repros unless it was part of a carefully designed display that the repro served some kind of purpose. I'm not morally opposed to them but they're a good way to accidentally fill one's house with a bunch of cheap junk.

If, for example, I put together a cabinet in which to display my real, unpainted, unreleased, Kenner Micro figures, I would have no problem using fake 4-ups and a few Kim Simmons prints to contextualize those pieces.

On the other hand, if I put up a bunch of thin yellow shelves to nake myself a giant carback on which to display "All 93" I would not bother with Stan Solo type items. Why bother? I am frankly undecided if I'd use repro accessories in such a display.

Then again if I (for whatever reason) was to create such a giant carback for public display use in, I don't know, a Star Wars themed restaurant or something, the first thing I'd do is put in 12 Retro Series and go with repro accessories all around and I'd probably make it a 65 or 77 back to avoid the highest price items. Things that are subjected to the dire abuses of the general public are different than home displays (or off-display museum collections).

It's all about the purpose. I don't really care if people use repros. However I'm not going to grant someone my respect as a fellow collector for simply dropping a bunch of money on readily found repros or reissues. I use repros for fun or utilitarian reasons. I think I've proven myself a "real" collector by spending the money to buy a real 4-up, and spending the time to find two Micro Collection sign-off samples (and a Luke prototype) virtually in the wild. It was eBay but these items weren't listed as what they actually are. I just check all the auctions every day for every search term I can think of. The sign-off samples were being sold as ordinary playsets. The Luke prototype was in a batch of 80's lead gaming minis.

Reaction score
True collectors are like the Indiana Jones of pop culture. I use the "Terms" trick too, and misplaced accessories netted me a few things I wanted. I do get lucky from time to time and find bargains in the wild, but getting an Endor Leia paired with a black Blaster, that's what keeps me going...lol
"Fortune and Glory kid... Fortune and Glory"

It does make me a little pissed off though that these people that just start buying without knowing the woes and triumphs can throw a pile of money and just complete a set, without actually knowing the products. These are repro marks that fallen victim made incidents lately.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ROFL, Belloq would just be at the front door anyway...
I unexpectedly found it in the accessories compartment of our Vader Head carrying case when we moved there. IMMEDIATELY dropped it and never found it in the carpet. I am about 90% sure that no vacuum cleaner was run in there in the intervening decades.

This is one reason I am open to the idea of replacing my childhood accessories with repros. I don’t like the idea that I can lose $500 down a crack in the floor.

Reaction score
Repros suck. No question about it.

At least Stan Solo clearly marks his figures as repro with the "SS" stamp.
So how he make all this reproductions and operates legally or star wars estate simply has not cut up with him yet?

Reaction score
So how he make all this reproductions and operates legally or star wars estate simply has not cut up with him yet?
I suspect they don’t care. If he doesn’t release anything x-rated or go after the current stuff, it’s not worth enforcing.

Reaction score
I don’t think that they will cut up with him.