Repro question for 2021 Collectors

Reaction score
I was recently watching the All Things 80s YouTube channel and the host was talking about how he is in the process of completing his vintage Star Wars collection. A lot of his Last 17 items are reproductions from Stan Solo. He also showed off his G1 Transformer collection and it's loaded w/ Hasbro reissues and KOs. Now that prices have become astronomical are we coming to a point where repro/reissues are acceptable among a good percentage of the SW collecting community? He made a good point too regarding the repros being in much nicer condition than the original 40 year old original toys.

I know this is a controversial topic for vintage SW collectors. However, Transformers, G.I. Joe and Mego collectors have all seemed to embrace repros. You can argue that those collectors were more lenient because the toys in those lines are much more difficult to find in near mint condition. I for one own a carded Yak Face and carded Luke stormtrooper from Stan Solo and think they look amazing. I would never pay the money for the originals in the current climate. So is the tide starting to turn?

Reaction score
I was recently watching the All Things 80s YouTube channel and the host was talking about how he is in the process of completing his vintage Star Wars collection. A lot of his Last 17 items are reproductions from Stan Solo. He also showed off his G1 Transformer collection and it's loaded w/ Hasbro reissues and KOs. Now that prices have become astronomical are we coming to a point where repro/reissues are acceptable among a good percentage of the SW collecting community?

No we are not, and likely never will be.

Reaction score
I'm thankful I completed my loose set of figures several years ago. No need for Repro figures or accessories. I have been considering the SS Han Stormtrooper, just because it's one Kenner never got around to. I've made sure everything I own for both Transformers and GI Joe is all original as well.

Reaction score
I'm all for customs, but I haven't bought any repros, and don't plan to. I'd much rather Hasbro produce them in the Retro line, as that's a continuation of the Kenner brand, and they are reissues.

Reaction score
I'm all for customs, but I haven't bought any repros, and don't plan to. I'd much rather Hasbro produce them in the Retro line, as that's a continuation of the Kenner brand, and they are reissues.

So reissues are considerate legit for you in terms of collecting as a whole? Example - say you needed an original Luke to complete your vintage collection. Would a Retro figure version suffice? Just curious about the mindset of collectors these days. I know most collectors only accept authentic vintage. However, as a reissue the Retro line is kind of legit being that it is being released by the same company albeit 40 years later.

Reaction score
And yes there are subtle differences between vintage and Retro but there were also subtle differences between vintage and vintage - different head sculpts, different paint apps, etc.

Reaction score
I completed my vintage Star Wars collection by replacing yak face with a loaf of bread and Luke stormie with a quart of 10w30 motor oil.

This Topic has been beaten……to…..death……in a million other threads.

Reaction score
So reissues are considerate legit for you in terms of collecting as a whole?

Depends on what I am doing. I am very lucky to have almost all 96 still intact from my own childhood. If I were to complete them and display 93 on a narrow yellow shelves I would have no qualms about using a Retro Series to fill a gap. I dunno about repro accessories though. I would almost rather complete them with wrong, but plausible, 80’s accessories. The wrong color pistol or what have you. And a broken real Yakface instead of a mint repro.

Then again the prices and basic economics make repros inevitable. If a tiny plastic gun is worth a hundred dollars, more of them WILL come to market, repro or otherwise.

Real is obviously usually preferable to repro. But repro has a practicality to it, if these aren't going to be purely objects of display. My kids would probably faint if I handed them a bag of 50 repro accessories to use with their toys, for example. And I like my repro preproduction 4-Ups because I'm not scared to let people handle them unlike like my real 4-up.

And if prices keep climbing I might even use repro accessories if/when I decided to complete my original 93: because at least then I KNOW what I'm getting. If I paid $150 for a tiny plastic weapon I'd always have a nagging doubt about it, no matter what float/UV/etc. tests it passed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is literally impossible to “complete” something with parts and or pieces that are not part of said set. You can place hold, fill in the gaps etc but to complete it with the wrong items is not possible. If you want to do that go ahead, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. You can have an entire room in your house that you call vintage toys that you bought at target or printed yesterday. Make no mistake though, a vintage set is not and never will be complete with parts that were made a week ago. It’s just not possible,

Reaction score
So reissues are considerate legit for you in terms of collecting as a whole? Example - say you needed an original Luke to complete your vintage collection. Would a Retro figure version suffice? Just curious about the mindset of collectors these days. I know most collectors only accept authentic vintage. However, as a reissue the Retro line is kind of legit being that it is being released by the same company albeit 40 years later.

It all depends on your personal goal - no other collector can dictate what is or isn't legitimate, nor complete, etc. Some people mix Retro and Kenner and are perfectly satisfied doing so, because they simply want to have one of each character / sculpt. There are also a number of collectors that never owned the originals in the 80s, and are starting with retro sculpts now. The interest from retro has actually pushed a number of people into buying original Kenner as well. I think going forward, we'll be seeing a bunch of mixed collections, especially when tracking down an original Kenner figure might not be viable for all collectors. Personally, I'd like a Vlix figure, but I'll never buy a vintage release, because of the ridiculous price. Likewise, I really have no desire to buy a repro on ebay either. What I'd love is a reissue from Hasbro, if they did so, I'd happily display him with my Kenner Droids collection, and will have completed those characters.

Reaction score
it is literally impossible to “complete” something with parts and or pieces that are not part of said set.
People restore vintage cars with modern parts all the time. People restore old Lego sets with parts from modern sets all the time. They’re not incomplete because every bolt or brick is of recent manufacture.

Reaction score
“People restore vintage cars with modern parts all the time. People restore old Lego sets with parts from modern sets all the time. They’re not incomplete because every bolt or brick is of recent manufacture.”

“other people do it so it’s ok“

Just so I am clear, what is the acceptable percentage in a vintage ”complete” collection of fake parts that still makes it vintage? Is 50/50 still legit or just a few of the “expensive” ones? This all boils down to entitlement. I deserve a complete collection of vintage figures. I deserve to have them all. I got a participation trophy even though I didn’t win. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to spend big bucks on something. No shame in not having them all. If you want to have fake parts go right ahead. If you want to make it sound better call them “reproductions”. If you want to calling peeing on someone’s leg rain go right ahead.

Definition of fake​

(Entry 1 of 5)
: not true, real, or genuine : counterfeit

Reaction score
I remember Markpoon made some nice repros especially the cardbacks and he wasn’t embraced but now stan solo is for some people?
Strange

I’m also glad I have my originals

Dax

Reaction score
Fake parts cause untold damage to the collecting community because they are often used to deceive. If they were made in such a way that they were easy to distinguish from genuine (i.e. molded with R on them and in a soft material of a non-produced colour) then I would welcome them as being a budget friendly assist but time and again the manufacturers iterate their designs to make them indistinguishable. It is clear they want to deceive others because it makes them a LOT of money.

Markpoon is a lying dirtybag who deliberately attempts to deceive for his own personal profit. One of the more modern fakers has an actual criminal history for fraud. These are not altruistic people doing this for honourable reasons.

With regard to the vintage car analogy, yes there is an acceptance of using modern parts primarily because so few genuine parts still exist. However, if you try and take a vintage car to auction and don't disclose that it is not 100% vintage, then the community is not going to be very accepting of you.

In comparison, Star Wars produced millions upon millions of these things and significant amounts still exist. There is absolutely no reason anyone need to make fake accessories.

I have no problem with custom items, producing figures that were never made before. I think these are clever artistic works and often impressive in their execution. I don't support any creator though that also sells fake items because every dollar you put into their pocket is used to improve their fakes so they can deceive even more people.

Reaction score
We are seeing more and more repros showing up in auctions where the seller has no clue they are selling fake items. I'm not making this up as it was also pointed out here in the watch out threads.

It's not what we do with our collection that is noted. It's what happens to collections after we part or part with them.

Reaction score
I guess to elaborate, I have no problem with honest reproductions. If they’re good enough for missing pieces of armor or dinosaur bones in the best museums of the world, they’re good enough for me. However I haven’t figured out how to ethically and smartly purchase reproduction 3.75” items. For what a repro Last 17 figure costs, I’d rather restore real, beater, figs.

I have considered buying bulk repro accessories, and drilling a hole through their handles with a red-hot needle. Even if someone was confused later the condition would ruin its dollar value. But then I would be giving money to the repro makers who should be using inauthentic colors of plastic in my opinion.

It was actually ethical dilemmas regarding fossils and ancient/medieval artifacts that got me to decide I’d try to be a “serious Star Wars collector” (a problematic term IMO).

Reaction score
I remember Markpoon made some nice repros especially the cardbacks and he wasn’t embraced but now stan solo is for some people?
Strange

I’m also glad I have my originals
I'm glad I have my originals, too.

I think the difference nowadays is Stan Solo changes the coo stamp on his repros to SS or SLC, and I believe his cardbacks also have his logo which is an easy tell, even for a novice. I think Mark Poon was originally doing straight copies of a few high dollar rare figures with no changes to the coo or cards, which could fool most people into thinking it was an original Kenner product...I don't support that type of repro.

I hope they both continue to focus on creating figures that were never offered by Kenner and stamp their creations with their own logo going forward. They are both artists with that type of product, and their work has merit on its own in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've said my part on these before. SS is no different to what Hasbro do with their retro series. If SS marks his figures and cards where's the problem? As I've said a hundred times before, if you drop money on something and you get taken it is your own fault. Do your research before you buy, whether it be a loose complete Nikto or a Yakface don't just think deep pockets will get you genuine and I blame the buyer alone on this.

I'm a vintage guy, I have a loose vintage set, and dozens of Palitoy carded figures and I've seen it all. We all knew the day would come when repros became exactly the same as the originals. Its like someone whining about someone recasting a Stormtrooper helmet and stealing 'their' work when clearly they have no rights to it whatsoever. There are various screen used props out there that people think gives them the right to make money off someone else's work which is absolute rubbish as they don't own any copyright or anything, as with Stormtrooper helmets etc they were made and sculpted by Lucasfilm and people get upset because someone recast their recast of the original!!!

Life is too short, collect what you want and how you want. Just don't be ignorant enough to look down on people who are the repro route.

Reaction score
Actually with all this repro out there, the only ones who will benefit fully will be the graders. Think about it. Maybe they're in on it.

If they are backing them, this would send more authentication pieces in to be graded and real pieces complete would be worth a lot more.

Conspiracy theory :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Graders have been fooled too. There are graded examples out there with fake acessories.

It’s ALMOST like it’s inherently stupid to pay hundreds of dollars for a tiny toy gun?

Now excuse me while I go drop five bills on a little clay dinosaur statue.

Reaction score
Still a very hot topic after all of these years. Eventually I think we will have to accept repro whether we like it or not since it is getting almost impossible to distinguish from original. Plus, if they can reproduce exact replicas of Yak and Blue Snaggletooth what's to say they won't make a few w/ the original copyright and pass them off as original to make a quick buck?

Reaction score
NO to repro. Repro's just discredits the buyer, not the seller (they usually are upfront if they are producing products). The buyer on the other hand has a choice. Think of it as some luxury brand that people long to buy; we'll call it "X". Once someone finds out you have a "fake X", they'll assume all of your "X" is fake. So why knowingly buy repro when you can hold out for original/vintage?

NO to "graded" toys. So much chatter about this topic already. But yeah, degraded graded is still degraded. 'Nuff said.

Reaction score
I think the classic car and dinosaur bones analogy has no merit here. I was initially on board with this thought. However, reproductions parts for a classic car or dinosaur skeleton make them functional.

Without key parts you cannot drive a vehicle at all. There are a lot of parts that are just not available any more or are quite rare and expensive. That said, there are car restorers who let vehicles sit until they can find the original parts they need. They work on, and do, what they can until they find that elusive part that no-one can find, or have enough money to buy that expensive part. I've known guys who had a vehicle sitting for 20, 30 years or more in a garage, covered, just waiting. Then there are guys who have classic cars where only the frame, a Bondo-full body and core of the engine are original.

A lot of dinosaur exhibits have the reproduction bones in a different color so that viewer can distinguish what is real and has age to it. Yes, a dinosaur can be displayed with wire framing to support areas without fossils/bones to display it (and sometimes are), but a full skeleton is much more impressive to behold.

If a an individual wants to fool themselves into believing that their toy collection is complete with reproductions, then so be it. But is it truly necessary? Is it a form of entitlement?

There a lot of things I'd like to have, but there are a lot of things I simply just cannot afford. At one point I wanted everything Star Wars. I've tempered my desires and wants to within my means and am so much happier for it — and no longer yearn for what is not within my grasp. And I have no desire to go the route of reproductions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But paired with the figure its cheaper😜
Does not pay to buy loose acessories on their own.
Yes it is and resellers are aware of this also. There's a trend of buying complete, selling accessories, then selling a loose figure lot armed with repro. I'm so glad I finished mine some years back

Reaction score
$400 going price now for just an authentic r2d2 pop up saber. Yes, just the little green saber alone.

This is what's comical about the hobby, that people are willing to shell out $400 for a plastic toothpick. But hey, if it makes you happy - do it, and enjoy! The same goes for Retro reissues and repros - if they help complete your display, and save you from wasting money - more power to you. Always remember though - they're just toys, and you cant bring them with you when your times up. I think a lot of this debate over the years is from people that feel they've made an investment in the originals, and want to maintain that, as if it some type of status symbol. The reality for everyone, is that your personal collection only matters to you. I don't worry about what other people collect, nor whether they were produced decades ago, or last year - everyone's collection has its own validity based on the time and effort it took to assemble it. For those so concerned about repros infiltrating the market - if your collection is "complete" in your eyes, your worries are over for this lifetime. Just make sure to cash out before you move on, so your relatives don't give them to the local thrift shop!

Reaction score
Speak for yourself...i am getting buried in a giant replica Vader collectors case.

Do you know what your willing to pay? I have time for a few side projects. Will you need some Giant stickers and a accessories compartment? I will have a sale on Black Friday 2021 on the Giant C3po Funeral cases I made last year.

1d601cc83fb2b0c033fdb4571ac11f72.png