QUESTION Repro POTF Coins

Reaction score
I recently got a gold category VI A-Wing coin, and the price was pretty normal and the seller had a great reputation. I'm still pretty new to the POTF coin market, do "realistic" reproductions of those coins exist at all? The only ones I've ever heard of are one-sided resin casts to go in repro cards.

Reaction score
I know there is some two sides reproduction coins out there. There's a seller on Ebay who sells them. He has a Anakin, Boba Fett coins that I have seen. Up to this point I haven't seen a gold A-Wing coin repro. One thing you can do is check the weight of the coin on a scale. Post a pic, there's a lot of members here who collect coins.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes his username is markpoon. Yes, about the same weight. They vary a little bit from coin to coin. One other thing you can do is check the sides of the coin in the ribbed part, they should be fairly uniform from when the coin was struck with the die. Your coin looks legit to me, nice looking example.

Reaction score
Yes his username is markpoon. Yes, about the same weight. They vary a little bit from coin to coin. One other thing you can do is check the sides of the coin in the ribbed part, they should be fairly uniform from when the coin was struck with the die. Your coin looks legit to me, nice looking example.
I was really surprised I got it for a price I could afford in the condition it's in. And the ribs look to be uniform, so that's a relief. Thanks again for all the help!

Reaction score
So...it appears there are more Boba Fett Droids coins on eBay as well as other internet dealers than normal.

I found the one below on a site and almost pulled the trigger. I did comparisons to AFA graded examples. The front looked spot on. Sharp corners and great relief. But the back looked a little off. After almost an hour, I saw something that the repro artist left as a sign that it was a reproduction. Can anyone see what it is?

By the way, the seller has it listed as “ORIGINAL vintage DROIDS Boba Fett gold coin. NOT replacement or reproduction.”

Yeah 100% BS.

1C2BC8B2-AC08-4A5E-BF70-EFC8206037F0.jpeg

Reaction score
The “i” may be a result of the angle of the photography. Good guess.

Answer:

The year stamp is “1986”. Sometimes the most obvious things are missed.

It pays to do your homework folks.

Dax

Reaction score
Umm, I'm pretty sure that date is 1984, not 1986. Why would a fake coin use the date 1986? They would either keep it identical, or if they would change the date it would likely be to the point they started making fakes and that would be much later than 1986, at least the early 90's.

I'm no expert on coins, never really had that much interest in them but I do recall discussions about restrikes using original dies and that the main tell is the weight. I'm pretty sure the article is posted here with a lot of detail so well worth tracking down.

Here you go. Two threads well worth reading:
Osborne Coinage POTF coins scam
Rough Ridge / Sharp Edge Coins

I don't know about the details of the Mark Poon coins. All I know is he's a lying sack of **** dirtbag only out to line his pockets at the expense of others.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Umm, I'm pretty sure that date is 1984, not 1986. Why would a fake coin use the date 1986? They would either keep it identical, or if they would change the date it would likely be to the point they started making fakes and that would be much later than 1986, at least the early 90's.
Yeah, that says 1984. Not 1986. The top of the character is pointed, and the lower half is just a line.

Reaction score
I still say something isn’t right.

This (I believe) is a genuine coin:

F7BA6A3F-AD89-41AA-9B73-41A051718AB9.jpeg

This is what I think is a repro:

402ADD42-3301-4249-A426-C1A42DE77689.jpeg

It’s like there is an extra line around the letters. That 6 or 4 on the date is not the same as the one above.

Reaction score
I just bought the same awing coin a few weeks ago also from EBAY..now I am worried..